• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Despite being A Fun world the Caribbean still felt unfinished...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Foxycian

Awards
Like what it says in the title the Caribbean felt unfinished and here is why.

1) the world is soo Big yet only few places like maybe 30% are important to the story meanwhile the rest 70% of the world is just open world and collecting crabs, I didn’t mind that at first, cause you don’t need to have important scenes in every place on the open world but however...there are really cool area designs in this world and it felt wastesd by not including it in the main story I know it’s a silly reason but that’s just my opinion

2) skipping the second movie was really a dumb move from them, I’m aware it’s not that much of a big deal but I’m hoping we get the story of the 2nd movie on another game and it’s possible, remember in kh3D where we visited old world like Pinocchio? We saw how it played out like the movie before they got eaten by a whale, kh1 didn’t show that since they were already inside monstro, so it’s possible I’m hoping for dream drop distance 2

3) why was Davy Jones alone? Where is his crew? This game has a good amount of inhabitants in its worlds so why Davy Jones doesn’t have his crew? Even barbossa had his crew back in kh2 and they were all creepy skeletons so I’m sure they could have done the same for Davy Jones but nope they use the heartless instead it’s like an excuse how they usually use the heartless instead and it feels lazy imo

That’s my opinion on this matter, I love the carbbiean but my Favorite world is still Toy box.

Last edited:

Soldier

Awards

1) the world is soo Big yet only few places like maybe 30% are important to the story meanwhile the rest 70% of the world is just open world and collecting crabs, I didn’t mind that at first, cause you don’t need to have important scenes in every place on the open world but however...there are really cool area designs in this world and it felt wastesd by not including it in the main story I know it’s a silly reason but that’s just my opinion

2) skipping the second movie was really a dumb move from them, I’m aware it’s not that much of a big deal but I’m hoping we get the story of the 2nd movie on another game and it’s possible, remember in kh3D where we visited old world like Pinocchio? We saw how it played out like the movie before they got eaten by a whale, kh1 didn’t show that since they were already inside monstro, so it’s possible I’m hoping for dream drop distance 2

3) why was Davy Jones alone? Where is his crew? This game has a good amount of inhabitants in its worlds so why Davy Jones doesn’t have his crew? Even barbossa had his crew back in kh2 and they were all creepy skeletons so I’m sure they could have done the same for Davy Jones but nope they use the heartless instead it’s like an excuse how they usually use the heartless instead of making a new character model or something...

That’s my opinion on this matter, I love the carbbiean but my Favorite world is still Tot box.
Simple, i can answer a few of them,
1) I think the idea behind the 30% of the world being story driven was due to the fact that it was more of a "tester world" so to speak, putting the engine to its limits with the realistic environments, all the sea life, and the people inhabiting port Royale. Besides, you get to swim with manta rays and groupers! how many times can you do that in a game? (Also this is one of few worlds with 3 distinct bosses that in my opinion are excellent fights, just saying)

2) I agree in a way that skipping the second movie was a bit harsh, given the fact that there was a swamp, cannibal island and other environments that other worlds simply haven't provided, but what they did choose to do with 3 I think was actually pretty smart. Having Davy Jones incorporate the Kraken into his fight was an excellent choice that they simply wouldn't be able to execute if they chose the second one, and they went based off a looser retelling of the original story (By the third movie, the Kraken is dead, in fact it's the reason why Jack was in the locker to begin with if memory serves). Doing this also allows them to reunite with the original people in KH 2 and have a brief squabble with Barbosa and reduce the amount of detailed pirate lords they needed.

3) One thing to bear in mind is that Barbossa's crew were essentially undead humans in the original movie, and most of them could look very similar (notably the axe wielding pirate A could cover many of the numerous African American pirates that were in his crew in the movie) and fill up his ranks with them and heartless for some fights. Davy Jones crew on the other hand, are largely based around Caribbean sea life, like sharks, hermit crabs, etc. And unlike Barbossa's crew, that requires a more intensive model that either they didn't have time for or didn't bother working on. Plus, it's easier to just say that the heartless flocked to him because in a way, he's just like them.

Foxycian

Awards
3) One thing to bear in mind is that Barbossa's crew were essentially undead humans in the original movie, and most of them could look very similar (notably the axe wielding pirate A could cover many of the numerous African American pirates that were in his crew in the movie) and fill up his ranks with them and heartless for some fights. Davy Jones crew on the other hand, are largely based around Caribbean sea life, like sharks, hermit crabs, etc. And unlike Barbossa's crew, that requires a more intensive model that either they didn't have time for or didn't bother working on. Plus, it's easier to just say that the heartless flocked to him because in a way, he's just like them.

I respectfully disagree with this one, they could have made some of Davy Jones pirates and use the same model over and over again like the barbossa pirates, the pirates of Davy Jones didn’t look that much different from each other I couldn’t tell the difference with most of them when I watched the movies long ago.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I thought it was pretty well done. Even though the islands were lacking anything besides crabs, it still felt really fun to explore and look for the lucky emblems especially on a world so huge. I think the only missed opportunity was having a secret boss fight (Balthier & Fran) on one of the islands. With how huge all the worlds were and even the gummi ship maps, I kinda feel like they should have sneaked a hidden fight in each world to sort of reward your exploration of the world. The fights could have happened in the most random places that no one would really go unless you were exploring.

The Dark Mamba

Awards
The only issue I have was failing to incorporate explorable areas relevant to At World's End. Not having Shipwreck cove was a major letdown. I woulda preferred having Tortuga explorable as opposed to Port Royal also. Port Royal isn't even in At World's End. Given the where the world's story takes place, I understand not including Singapore.

I also was surprised to see them not include Davy Jones' crew. They coulda done the same thing they did with Barbossa's crew n use the same 3 models multiple times.

AR829038

Awards

3) why was Davy Jones alone? Where is his crew? This game has a good amount of inhabitants in its worlds so why Davy Jones doesn’t have his crew? Even barbossa had his crew back in kh2 and they were all creepy skeletons so I’m sure they could have done the same for Davy Jones but nope they use the heartless instead it’s like an excuse how they usually use the heartless instead and it feels lazy imo

That’s my opinion on this matter, I love the carbbiean but my Favorite world is still Tot box.
Personally, I'm much happier having the world we got than one with more story in place of gameplay, as I don't think the space for the game could have supported an equal helping of both. The rationale for skipping the second movie I think is actually pretty sound, too. The second and third Pirates of the Caribbean movies were notoriously convoluted—their narratives defy contraction and abridgment more than most of the other Disney films do, and so there really was no good way they could have delivered the third movie's story (let alone both it and the second) in a way that didn't make The Caribbean at least five times the size of the other worlds in the game. Having to follow the plot of the third PotC film is almost like a mini-Kingdom Hearts game in terms of complexity, and I doubt most people would have enjoyed spending so much time there just for the sake of getting through the whole story of the movie. I think it was the best move they could have made to truncate the plot and focus on the explorability of the world, which in my eyes was so astounding that The Caribbean has easily become my most favorite Disney world in the entire series.
People can have their different opinions and tastes, and I respect that, but keep in mind what your criteria for that world would have actually logistically entailed. It would never have worked out well.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I know this is a strange thought, but bear with me:

I think the only reason it might have a vaguely unfinished feeling to it for some is because it was so large... It's the first time that KH has had a world that really did feel like a world within a world. It might just be me, but when I'm in The Caribbean, it feels like I'm playing a whole separate game and I sort of lose track that this is KH only for the ending of the world to come so quickly, almost abruptly. I think you almost feel like the story will be longer than most worlds because the world itself has so obviously been given so much time and effort. Instead, the story is about the same length as most Disney worlds, if not a little faster than most.

Last edited:

Wallflower3582

I remember there was an interview way back before KH3 came out, when they first announced Pirates in KH3, where they asked Nomura why he chose to skip the second movie and go straight to the third. He said:

The second and the third movie are connected and the second movie doesn't really have an ending because it takes you to the third movie. It didn't really make sense to go with that one because it doesn't really have a clear ending with that film. We decided to go with the third film which had a clear ending.

So yeah. Also, just a smidge before that, he said the reason they chose to put Pirates in the game at all was because he wanted a live-action movie world to test their limits and see just how realistic they could go with Kingdom Hearts, which I'm kinda interpreting as "this world was a bit of an experiment," resulting in it being a lot emptier. They told the story they needed to tell and then gave us a bunch of extra space to play around in as a way to test themselves. I honestly find that super reassuring, because in light of Verum Rex's importance to the plot now and the incredible graphics it could possibly boast, this may have been his way of feeling out just how much he could do with the series, and we may get a lot more impressive stuff going forward because of it.

San Fransokyo felt emptier to me… I can definitely tell it was one of the first worlds they developed.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards

That’s my opinion on this matter, I love the carbbiean but my Favorite world is still Toy box.
I can understand your sentiments and disappointments on The Caribbean, and I agree there were some issues that I had with this world such as not visiting the Shipwreck Cove where the Pirate Lords, along with most of the crew from the Flying Dutchman and Bootstrap Bill being omitted and the world being trimmed for time constraints, cause the film is almost 3 hours long and so much things were happening in the film. But I'd say it's one of the best Disney worlds we got in KH3, for Level Design, in fact both this and Olympus were of the few Disney worlds that had the closest to Open World exploration and are larger in size when compared to San Fransokyo, on top of that at least we get to fight Davy Jones as a boss and glad he didn't suffer the same treatment that Randall and CLU got.

I'm not dissapointed with the plot of the world following At World's End instead of Dead Man's Chest, but it made sense cause according to Nomura the second film [Dead Man's Chest] ended on a cliffhanger, while the third film was considered to be the conclusion of the original trilogy much like how Kingdom Hearts III was the conclusion of the Xehanort Saga.

San Fransokyo felt emptier to me… I can definitely tell it was one of the first worlds they developed.
Actually according to an interview following the Toy Story reveal at D23 Expo 2017, San Fransokyo was actually the last Disney world they developed and include for Kingdom Hearts III, plus it was a request made by Disney to be put in the game:

"Last time at D23 [2015], we announced the Big Hero 6 world, however it was a sudden request so I could only draw up one small illustration."

"Development is coming along fine, but it was the last world that we decided on, so compared to the other worlds we have planned, Big Hero 6 will have to wait a little longer."

So literally, Big Hero 6 was one of the last worlds they chose developed for KH3. While I enjoyed the original story for San Fransokyo in KH3, when compared to Toy Box and Monstropolis I felt this was the weakest of the original stories, and don't get me wrong that's not to say the story wasn't terrible, but compared to the aforementioned two worlds and the other Disney worlds in KH3, San Fransokyo was "rushed" as it simply it just jumped from one conflict (Big Hero 6 combating against the Heartless) to another conflict (Dark Riku bringing back Dark Baymax) then it was over.

From the many interviews by Nomura during development of KH3, the first Disney worlds that were the first to be developed and decided upon were the Tangled, Toy Story and Frozen worlds especially the former. Here is his interview on Tangled when it was revealed at E3 2015:

"Nomura: “This is the first we're showing the world of Tangled. And actually, during interviews, I’ve been asked by a lot of media ‘why choose Tangled?’ This is actually one of the first worlds we determined would be in the game. The process usually runs where the development team would come up with suggestions and present it to me as a proposal for the worlds. But for the world of Tangled, they just really wanted to get this to come through, and they just had this determination—this desire—to have the world of Tangled featured in Kingdom Hearts III. I was explaining it earlier, but the reason they focused on Tangled was, at first impression, the characters Rapunzel and her strong personality, as well as her hair, the way she is able to utilize her hair in such a way where she’s whipping it around. She can even use it for attacks, and that was just so appealing, and we thought it would make for such great gameplay, so we had a very strong desire to include that.”

Here's Frozen:
Nomura: "Usually when we think about making a game, we choose from works already available to the public. However for Frozen, when we were selecting the worlds, Disney showed us the preview before it was finished, and we liked it enough to continue the discussion to include it in the game. We decided on the inclusion before the movie was premiered, so we were lucky that it was a huge success (laughs)"

In another interview from Dengeki he also says
"Frozen was planned to be a world pretty early in development.

And here's Toy Story:
Nomura took interest in Toy Story for the strong mark is made on the CG world, calling the movie “iconic.” Ever since Kingdom Hearts II, he longed for it to make an appearance in the series. “Just looking at the trailer, I feel Sora really fit in and matched well with that world, and it’s something I always personally wanted to see – that image of Buzz and Woody coming face to face with Sora in his toy form. I had been imagining that in my head, and to be able to execute that into the game is something I’m really excited for and I’m hoping fans feel the same way I do.”

The only issue I have was failing to incorporate explorable areas relevant to At World's End. Not having Shipwreck cove was a major letdown. I woulda preferred having Tortuga explorable as opposed to Port Royal also. Port Royal isn't even in At World's End. Given the where the world's story takes place, I understand not including Singapore.

I also was surprised to see them not include Davy Jones' crew. They coulda done the same thing they did with Barbossa's crew n use the same 3 models multiple times.
I think Port Royal was seen in At World's End, but just in a few scenes and your actually correct it was Tortuga that appeared more frequent and when Barbossa stole the Pearl again

Last edited:

Wallflower3582

Actually according to an interview following the Toy Story reveal at D23 Expo 2017, San Fransokyo was actually the last Disney world they developed and include for Kingdom Hearts III, plus it was a request made by Disney to be put in the game:
Huh. Thanks, I guess missed that interview. Still, no matter where in development it took place, it was kinda disappointing to me. I feel like they could have done so much more with it.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
Huh. Thanks, I guess missed that interview. Still, no matter where in development it took place, it was kinda disappointing to me. I feel like they could have done so much more with it.
You're not the only one, as I said in my previous post, while I enjoyed the original story for San Fransokyo in KH3 and Sora, Donald and Goofy's interaction with the team, when compared to Toy Box and Monstropolis I felt this was the weakest of the original stories, and don't get me wrong that's not to say the story wasn't terrible, but compared to the aforementioned two worlds and the other Disney worlds in KH3, San Fransokyo was "rushed" as it simply just jumped from one conflict (Big Hero 6 combating against the Heartless) to another conflict (Dark Riku bringing back Dark Baymax) then it was over.

Plus the level design for San Fransokyo ONLY had two rooms (Hiro's Garage and a 1/4 of San Fransokyo).

Last edited:
Back