• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Nitpicks

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Guernsey

Awards
It's pretty understandable with Hades' situation in KH2, given what Dandelion said. Still...for some reason, it seems underwhelming. But while we're on the topic of Disney villains, another example of lackluster, is the oh so powerful 'Mistress of All Evil' herself.

Maleficent was hyped up to be the big bad in KH1, but when you ACTUALLY fight her...she's BARELY a challenge. Her Dragon form, there's no debate that she's a challenge, but her regular form...she has Magic...and the best thing she can do is summon easily avoidable meteors, summon heartless, and summon electricity? I mean...if Final Fantasy was in the mix in this game, it would've been a nice idea to let her cast some powerful Final Fantasy spells...perhaps even DQ spells (But I'm getting ahead of myself there.)

I think it might have something to do with gameplay and story segregation. A lot of the Disney villains are actually quite powerful in canon but are trivially defeated in gameplay. Maleficent should had a been a bit more difficult than she was in KH1 but instead she is just a complete joke of a boss. Even without gameplay, the Disney villains should had been more of a threat to Sora and his friends.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I think it might have something to do with gameplay and story segregation. A lot of the Disney villains are actually quite powerful in canon but are trivially defeated in gameplay. Maleficent should had a been a bit more difficult than she was in KH1 but instead she is just a complete joke of a boss. Even without gameplay, the Disney villains should had been more of a threat to Sora and his friends.
Hopefully next time we do get to fight her she'll get a bossfight more fitting to how powerful she is, in story. I hope Disney is still cool with her being fought and beaten up.

It'd be great, if she were to become a legitimate threat again. But for that to happen Pete would either have to go or change drastically, seeing how he currently is, he kind of detracts from her.

I get why she keeps him around though. He's loyal and good for simple grunt work, but he constantly fails and is a cowered, which just isn't suitable for a right hand man.

ZeVaine

Awards
I really like how in KH1 the Disney villians were not just allied together, but were able to leave their own worlds to meet and plan... Hook's ship being like a gummi ship, and letting them traverse worlds and come together to meet...

Maleficent was doing a hell of a good job in KH1, even before Ansem/Riku started taking charge at the end.

As much as I enjoy Org 13, I do miss that feeling of the Disney villians being the real villians, and not the guys who get taken advantage of or simply the mid-bosses. Hades is probably the one, besides Maleficent, who still holds his own in that sense.

Perkilator

Awards
I know 0.2 takes place in the Realm of Darkness, but…I do kinda wish there were Heartless themed around the Disney worlds plunged into the Realm (i.e. the Castle Town, the World Within, and the Forest of Thorns).

disney233

Awards
I know 0.2 takes place in the Realm of Darkness, but…I do kinda wish there were Heartless themed around the Disney worlds plunged into the Realm (i.e. the Castle Town, the World Within, and the Forest of Thorns).
I guess it wouldn't make much sense since the RoD's mainly inhabited by Pureblood Heartless. As far as I'm concerned...a few Posessers and all that, but I can't really see Heartless outside of the regular variety of Purebloods.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I'm rewatching Dream Drop Distance cutscenes and I feel they had the chance to do something majorly meta with it that I wish they did. I wish in DDD Sora and/or Riku wore a shirt that said "It was all a dream" how could they pass that chance up :p

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I guess it wouldn't make much sense since the RoD's mainly inhabited by Pureblood Heartless. As far as I'm concerned...a few Posessers and all that, but I can't really see Heartless outside of the regular variety of Purebloods.
I had a theory back when it was 0.5: worlds have hearts and hearts have memories, ergo worlds have memories. In each destroyed world (including Notre Dame, Dalmatians, Dumbo, Pride Lands, etc among the 3 we got) we'd see the world's memories of its final moments being played out in front of us. But then a pocessor heartless would pocess the memory of a Disney Villain like Scar or Gaston and that's how Disney bosses would work.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I had a theory back when it was 0.5: worlds have hearts and hearts have memories, ergo worlds have memories. In each destroyed world (including Notre Dame, Dalmatians, Dumbo, Pride Lands, etc among the 3 we got) we'd see the world's memories of its final moments being played out in front of us. But then a pocessor heartless would pocess the memory of a Disney Villain like Scar or Gaston and that's how Disney bosses would work.
Oh that'd be cool, kinda what we almost got with Buz.
Though i could see a world's memories just get distorted and used by the realm of darkness to make pureblood heartless.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
But seriously tho, why only 9 save slots? I used up all of mine on both systems just for the base game:

XBOX ONE
1. Titans
2. King of Toys
3. Grim Guardianess
4. Lump of Horror
5. Skoll
6. Kraken/Davy Jones
7. Dark Baymax
8. Organization XIII gauntlet
9. Post-game/Critical

PS4
1. Rock Titan
2. Angelic Amber
3. Marshmellow
4. Lightning Angler
5. Darkubes
6. Anti-Aqua
7. Lich
8. Demon Tide
9. Post Game

Not even covering a few other bosses like the UFO, earlier Demon Tide/Towers, the vulture, rescusing BH6 members, LoD Vanitas, etc. Da heck am I even gonna do for DLC bosses?

Last edited:

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show
The better question is: Why DOESN'T he have glide (or air slide for that matter)? Even if we ignore gameplay, this was something he was cannonically shown to have in the cutscene version of his fight with Xion.

Last edited:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Honestly, it's a wonder he isn't level 1. Resurrected in a new body sounds like the kind of excuse they'd give for resetting Sora but nobody else ever has that problem when changing bodies.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Honestly, it's a wonder he isn't level 1. Resurrected in a new body sounds like the kind of excuse they'd give for resetting Sora but nobody else ever has that problem when changing bodies.
Well I'm sure if he had be resurrected after the battle and got his own game he would have been reset to level 1 because of this, but that wasn't the case so he had to be at his prime so he could partake in the battle. Same goes for Aqua, she fell to darkness like Sora did, but didn't suffer a power reset.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Less a nitpick with the series itself but with the pending release of Dreams on PS4 & all of the possibilities it offers, I started wondering: Has there been ANY finished fan games? I've seen proof-of-concept teaser trailers for this fan game or that fan game for like 15 years & like none of them ever came to fruition as far as I'm aware. There are bunches of completed Sonic fangames out there, Marios, Pokemons, Zeldas, Undertales, never KH. Even Gamejolt, the Mos Eisley of low effort fangames, is remarkably lacking n KH stuff.

I was even kind of a part of one such attempt, posting my concepts for Disney & heartless bosses on the "Legacy City" forums that were the gathering grounds for fanboys/girls playing pretend game devs. Even back then I knew it was likely a doomed endeavor. I pleaded that the game needed to be 2D, that there was no way a disorganized smattering consisting of more fanfic writers than people with actual coding & modeling skills, all working on their free time as a hobby, were gonna pull off replicating a 3D action game the likes of which that takes a professional video game studio years of long long hours to create. But I got outvoted & I became less invested in the project knowing that whatever hope it had was killed by delusional ambitions.

Noivern

Awards
Less a nitpick with the series itself but with the pending release of Dreams on PS4 & all of the possibilities it offers, I started wondering: Has there been ANY finished fan games? I've seen proof-of-concept teaser trailers for this fan game or that fan game for like 15 years & like none of them ever came to fruition as far as I'm aware. There are bunches of completed Sonic fangames out there, Marios, Pokemons, Zeldas, Undertales, never KH. Even Gamejolt, the Mos Eisley of low effort fangames, is remarkably lacking n KH stuff.

I was even kind of a part of one such attempt, posting my concepts for Disney & heartless bosses on the "Legacy City" forums that were the gathering grounds for fanboys/girls playing pretend game devs. Even back then I knew it was likely a doomed endeavor. I pleaded that the game needed to be 2D, that there was no way a disorganized smattering consisting of more fanfic writers than people with actual coding & modeling skills, all working on their free time as a hobby, were gonna pull off replicating a 3D action game the likes of which that takes a professional video game studio years of long long hours to create. But I got outvoted & I became less invested in the project knowing that whatever hope it had was killed by delusional ambitions.

When it comes down to fangames, what matters the most is having a reliable source engine to base your game off. All of the games you mentioned were popular back in the 2d era so it's considerably easier to make stuff for them. Undertale itself is pretty much a glorified Earthbound fangame, really.

Kingdom Hearts is a 3D game series and the only 2D game is Chain of Memories, and even then CoM is extremely taxing in terms of artstyle with detailed sprites that are hard to mimic, and the gameplay itself is very advanced as well.

I'm sure if you browse through forums you can probably find a RPG fangame based around KH with a FF engine or something, though. lol

Awards
This has probably been posted somewhere across the existing 81 pages of this thread, but I'll reiterate: It is absolutely befuddling to me that in the span of less than a single in-universe year, characters went from sending messages in a bottle across the ocean (when multiple forms of world travel are available and relatively easy to traverse), to having smartphones that are capable of carrying a strong signal across the universe.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
This has probably been posted somewhere across the existing 81 pages of this thread, but I'll reiterate: It is absolutely befuddling to me that in the span of less than a single in-universe year, characters went from sending messages in a bottle across the ocean (when multiple forms of world travel are available and relatively easy to traverse), to having smartphones that are capable of carrying a strong signal across the universe.
It's sort of the consequence of a universe that has both medieval fairy tale countryside settings & Tron/Stitch. The Mario universe bugs me more in this regard. It's basically modern-day Earth now when it used to be fantasy with mushroom & turtle people. The residual fantasy elements like wooden airships & big stone castles stick out like sore thumbs now we got in-universe Nintendo handhelds, toads driving buses, & urban race tracks.

& don't even get me started on FF12's tech.

EDIT: Or Mortal Kombat's. That series already has a multiverse premise, so why can't the cyborgs come from a futuristic world instead of being something that exist in the wannabe Conan the Barbarian place?

Last edited:
Awards
It's sort of the consequence of a universe that has both medieval fairy tale countryside settings & Tron/Stitch. The Mario universe bugs me more in this regard. It's basically modern-day Earth now when it used to be fantasy with mushroom & turtle people. The residual fantasy elements like wooden airships & big stone castles stick out like sore thumbs now we got in-universe Nintendo handhelds, toads driving buses, & urban race tracks.

At least those elements of the Mario universe seem to be exclusive to a deuterocanonical spin-offs and are consistent within their own sub-series'.

I mean, I get why KH brought in smartphones -- it massively simplified the story when it comes to how/when characters can communicate vital information with each other. It is still a nitpick, though lol. Especially when the inception of smartphones in the KH universe also partly undermines the story of Coded. I don't think that game could've happened the way it did if they had smartphones in that title. Maybe then we wouldn't have had to endure another filler title.

I expect each world in KH to have its own level of technological advancement (compare San Franksokyo to Agrabah!), but the individual worlds have really inconsistent technology and fashion senses of their own, and that bugs me. Looking at you, Disney Castle/Town/World and Radiant Garden!

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
At least those elements of the Mario universe seem to be exclusive to a deuterocanonical spin-offs and are consistent within their own sub-series'.
Well see, that's how it started bugging me. The 1st Paper Mario was fairly low tech most of the time with a 19th-century train being the high tech thing in it but then Thousand-Year Door came along & now Mario had an online messaging device & the bad guys were spacemen operating out of a moon base with a sentient supercomputer hitting on Peach & shit. Just within 1 subseries, I got weirded out by the tech jump.

Back