• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Tai Yasue talks about Kingdom Hearts III Re Mind in Twitter Q&A

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

On January 21 2020, Square Enix released an image of a Q&A dubbed "7 Lights & 13 Darknesses Q&A." In the 7 Lights version, Tai Yasue answered a few questions about what to expect from the free Kingdom Hearts III update (update 1.07) as well as what to expect in Kingdom Hearts III Re Mind.

Thanks to Goldpanner, we have the questions and answers available for all to read in English!

Q1 What's new in the Version 1.07 (Free Update) You can get the Oathkeeper and Oblivion Keyblades. They have form changes:

Oathkeeper has Light Form and Oblivion has Dark Form, and there's dedicated combo action. Not only that, but both Keyblades can be used to dual-wield by form changing into Double Form. We have also added 6 normal combo action abilities, fixed some of the cutscenes in the main game, and unlocked a lot of parts of the game that were previously locked from sharing.

Q2 Why did you focus on adding to photo mode i.e. Data Greeting and Slideshow?

The gameplay videos fans were uploading after release were really interesting and cool, and it moved us. So, we wanted to add something to the DLC that would get everyone even more fired up. In Data Greeting, you can select characters and then give them poses and add effects and such and take pictures. Then you can choose images and music to add to a Slideshow, and easily create your own personalized videos. After we made the feature, all the members of the development staff tested it with a photo competition. All the pictures were things you'd never see in the actual game, from heartwarming ones to ones that made us go, um, should this even be allowed? I really think everyone will have a lot of fun with it.

Q3 Tell us how to best enjoy the Premium Menu. Also, why did you add the Fastpass Code and the Black Code, which will make things harder for yourself?

The Premium Menu is a feature that lets you customize the game in various ways from the pause menu. Right after starting a new game, you can select either the Fastpass Code or the Black Code. The Fastpass Code includes settings like auto guard, and is aimed at people who want to move through the game quickly. The Black Code has settings like HP Slip (where your HP slowly decreases over time) and is aimed at people who want to enjoy a harder challenge. Both Codes have their own dedicated Achievements, and you can play with various settings as you aim to get Achievements. Some of them are curveballs - one of the Fastpass Code Achievements is to make it from Rapunzel's Tower to Corona while touching the ground as little as possible.

Q4 The members of the New Organization XIII appear as Limit Cut Bosses, but are they different from the ones in the main game? Who is the hardest boss?

They are completely different. We have changed their AI as well as their moves. They're all strong or fun in their own ways - you might need to be good at blocking, or attacking, or reading moves - which means different people will find different ones hard, but I think Xion and Master Xehanort are especially hard compared to the rest. They are so nerve-wracking and so satisfying to beat that your hands will still be shaking 15 minutes after you beat them.

Q5 Nomura requested a secret boss so hard it'd make people cry - did you succeed?

We got testers and developers who had defeated past KINGDOM HEARTS secret bosses to do a survey, and received the opinion that it was indeed hard enough to make them cry. It has a particularly high number of attack patterns - this secret boss will take time to develop a strategy against. But, just like with the New Organization XIII members, there is a way to strategize against the character's movements - it's not impossibly hard, and in fact if you play perfectly you can win without taking a single hit.

Q6 What else has been added in Re Mind?

Re Mind is an additional scenario that complements the end of the main story and allows you to have fun with new co-ordinated action while playing as Kairi, Roxas, Riku and Aqua. You can swap between English and Japanese voices, and the "w/ Orchestral Concert Ver." edition has a mode that lets you enjoy recordings of the Kingdom Hearts orchestra.

Q7 Lastly, a message for the fans.

This DLC expands on everything - battle, story, gameplay - allowing you to enjoy KH3 on an even deeper level. For those who are looking forward to the story and playing as the new characters there's Re Mind, for those who like being creative there is Data Greeting and Slideshow, for those who want challenging battle there is the New Organization XIII Limit Cut, for those who want to experience gorgeous music and visuals there is the Orchestra recordings (※w/ Orchestral Concert Ver." edition only) - we have prepared a wide range of content to suit all sorts of tastes, so please play it and see!

Co Director Tai Yasue

Last edited by a moderator:

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Guess this confirms that Kairi, Riku, Roxas and Aqua are the only playable characters we're to expect.

I'm rather excited to hear that Xion is one of the harder boss fights. I hope this means she is using her replication powers, though I guess she could just be coming at you with the same attacks that the player has available.

Well these most recent updates have gotten me excited to get my hands on the DLC on Thursday. Today and Tomorrow cant be over soon enough.

Insomniac

Bronze Member
Awards
This is great, thank you Goldpanner and thank you Chaser!

I’m curious to see if this is confirmation that we won’t be able to play as Ventus, Lea, Mickey, or Xion? Also we now have confirmation that Xion and Master Xehanort definitely have Limit Cut Boss Fights. So much news, I almost feel like it’s making the wait all the more painful lol.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Well if Mickey isnt playable are we just going to skip an extended segment against Marluxia, Larxene, and Luxord? Or are we just going to play as Sora again?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Whoever translated that missed the part that mentions Double Form in the first Q/A.

Thanks for catching it, we've added it to the OP.

And her name is goldpanner, you should know by now because she's the best :p

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Hm, I’m curious what’s meant by “fixed” some of the cutscenes in the main game. Previous descriptions of the 1.07 patch referred to it as a “main story update,” I believe - I wonder how substantive it will be.

(Side note: secretly hoping they’ve replaced MX’s voice actor with someone raspier and more befitting Nimoy’s version - no disrespect to Rutger Hauer. Pipe dream, to be sure, though if there are added MX cutscenes they’ll have added a 3rd VA...)

Noivern

Awards
I don't mind not being able to play as Lea and Xion as Xion would just be Limit Form v2 and Lea just isn't interesting enough for me, but a shame no Mickey, Terra and Ventus. Mickey was pretty fun back in KH2 and Days while Terra should have a pretty developed style already between Lingering Will and Terranorth fights, and Ventus could be pretty interesting with flowmotion since his gameplay was the first to focus on speed in the first place.

But ehhh.

GreyouTT

Awards
So unlock any of the new blades and you have Double Form as the second stage transformation. Glad it's easy to get and not locked behind Crit.

The secret boss's fight sounds like it'll give me war flashbacks.

Last edited:

ZeVaine

Awards
Fixed some of the cutscenes? I wonder what they mean by that and how extensive it is 🤔 now I'm sorta regretting rushing through 3 again in preparation last week, I should've waited for the update

Yeah, "fixing" is an oddly specific choice. Doesn't seem to imply "adding" anything, but I don't know of any cut-scenes that needed "fixing" in a purely technical sense? Uh... I dunno.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Yeah, "fixing" is an oddly specific choice. Doesn't seem to imply "adding" anything, but I don't know of any cut-scenes that needed "fixing" in a purely technical sense? Uh... I dunno.
The only thing I can think of is them "fixing" the scenes at the graveyard that didn't quite make sense and could use more of an explaination like the time reversal and Roxas & Xion's returns.

GreyouTT

Awards
The only thing I can think of is them "fixing" the scenes at the graveyard that didn't quite make sense and could use more of an explaination like the time reversal and Roxas & Xion's returns.

That's more revising than fixing, though I guess the definition depends on your point of view. Like I think a fix would be changing that translation hiccup with Xehanort at the end (provided they recorded it before the actor died). That and "COMEKINGDOMHEARTS".

Wallflower3582

Maybe they'll expand some of the cutscenes? I mean, a lot of people have complained that it felt very rushed in some parts, they could just "fix" them by making them a little more satisfying.

It's sorta annoying that Japanese and English don't always translate one for one with stuff like this… maybe the way he's using the word "fix" is different than the way we're interpreting it?

I mean, I remember when Twilight Princess HD came out the developers said they had a hard time with communication between the English speaking devs and the Japanese devs cos for instance Japanese has like five words meaning different levels of "blur" when we just have one in English

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Ooh. Fixing could be in one cs; there was a freaking WATERMARK somewhere in the "Let It Go" number with Frozen. (Was a blink and you'll miss it kinda thing tho, I didn't see it, but it was shown in a youtube thing)

One of the things they prolly did is killed that watermark. Otherwise..I think everyone else said it best.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
That's more revising than fixing, though I guess the definition depends on your point of view. Like I think a fix would be changing that translation hiccup with Xehanort at the end (provided they recorded it before the actor died). That and "COMEKINGDOMHEARTS".
This is what I'd think is most likely, but I'm not aware of any such mistakes in the original Japanese version and seeing these questions were in Japanese and posted to the Japanese twitter I feel they'd not be fixing translation issues.

It's sorta annoying that Japanese and English don't always translate one for one with stuff like this… maybe the way he's using the word "fix" is different than the way we're interpreting it?

Yeah, I feel this might be an issue here. Fix just seems like an odd choice of wording.

GreyouTT

Awards
This is what I'd think is most likely, but I'm not aware of any such mistakes in the original Japanese version and seeing these questions were in Japanese and posted to the Japanese twitter I feel they'd not be fixing translation issues.

That's a really good point.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they do at midnight for New Zealand (6am EST) then.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Kairi is playable but not Xion or Lea. Lmao.
I certainly would have enjoyed playing as them, but oh well. This probably means that segment where the guardians fight the Xehanort clones is another Union Cross flying Keyblade segment where you just push buttons and the characters react. Better then nothing.

Back