• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How do you think Disney will fit into the next game?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
D

Deleted member 246005

Honestly, I feel like Sora prevents the series from being more mature more than the inclusion of the Disney films. So I don't think removing the Disney content would automatically fix that.

I feel like the series would be better off being more like that tv show Once Upon a Time. Less in the soap opera trying to be edgy kinda way and more in the they really took risks reinterpreting characters. They went overboard a lot but i respect it more because of it.

But alas I'll settle for more of how 3 handled them. How 3 handled the Disney films is the main show of improvement in the story department to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Honestly i feel like Sora prevents the series from being more mature more than the inclusion of the Disney films. So i don't think removing the Disney content would automatically make the series mature.

I feel like the series would be better off being more like that tv show Once Upon a Time. Less in the soap opera trying to be edgy kinda way and more in the they really took risks reinterpreting characters. They went overboard a lot but i respect it more because of it.

But alas I'll settle for more of how 3 handled them. How 3 handled the Disney films is the main show of improvement in the story department to me.

I think it's Disney itself probably not allowing the KH team to take those kinds of risks, if Arendelle is anything to go by. I agree, I would love to see things done where try and break the mold BUT I understand why Disney is the way they are with their properties.

You'd think there'd be more Disney characters that could wield a Keyblade, but so far it's only Mickey and apparently Yen Sid. Mickey makes sense, and Yen Sid is a powerful wizard that taught Mickey, so that also is understandable. But it'd be cool to see someone like Max Goof be a Keyblade wielder too, and see how Goofy would handle that.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Honestly i feel like Sora prevents the series from being more mature more than the inclusion of the Disney films. So i don't think removing the Disney content would automatically make the series mature.

Maybe KINGDOM HEARTS Spinoffs with Yozora as the center figure could be the dark, edgy KH some fans want.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
And I think DDD was a darker game than most of the other games. All they'd really need to do is pick worlds that fit the theme or vibe, it's not like Disney hasn't done its fair share of darker properties before.
I think the Disney worlds for the next game could be thematically reminiscent to the Disney worlds we got in Dream Drop Distance where it focuses on some of the lesser known and/or slightly recent Disney films and ones you were expecting to appear in KH3 and in previous titles but didn't end up in the actual game. Also it seems that when it comes to the worlds they choose in the KH game it comes down to:
  • Which worlds do Nomura and the development team want in the game.
  • The themes the Disney or Pixar film have in common to the theme of the specific KH game (e.g. Friendship, Trust, Connections, Promises, etc.)
  • The gameplay value and environment that the world can offer.
  • Disney giving Requests and suggestions to which Films they want to see added in the game to Nomura and the team (e.g. Big Hero 6 in KH3)
I envision these would be the Disney worlds for the next KH game that the team are developing before KHIV, along with the fact the worlds I put down are vastly different from one another in terms of level designs, environment and gameplay level value. Plus, they do seem ideal fits for the next game before KHIV so approx. 8-10 Disney worlds:
  1. Wreck-It Ralph (Video game/Candy Level)
  2. Coco (Undead/Supernatural level)
  3. Treasure Planet (Space/Pirate level)
  4. Atlantis (Underground/Ocean/Temple level)
  5. Dumbo (1941 version) (Circus level)
  6. Jungle Book (1967 animated version) (Jungle level)
  7. Maleficent (2014 film) or Brave (Forest/Fantasy level)
  8. Alice in Wonderland (2010 version) (Medieval/Gothic fantasy level)
  9. Long Shots: Meet the Robinsons, Pocahontas, Mickey and the Beanstalk (Fun and Fancy Free), Sleepy Hollow (Ichabod and Mr. Toad), Moana, Great Mouse Detective or The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (Snow level)
What do you think?

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I think they choose worlds based on a mixture of reasons, and one of those is the themes of both the KH game and the Disney film, so it's hard to predict when you don't really know where Sora is or what it's going to take for him to come back.

WIR, Dumbo, and Alice would all work if the story is a "game" of sorts for Sora to find his way back to the real world (sort of like the game played by the TWEWY characters). Coco is the obvious one, of course, because Sora's "dead" in a way. TP is a story of growing up, which could connect somewhat since Sora's immaturity (abusing the Power to Return Hearts) is how he took himself out. I suppose TJB could fit the "game" theme in the sense that Mowgli has to return to the human world for his own safety at the end and Sora needs to do the same. Brave's focus on fate could work well. Kida sacrifices herself to save everyone else the way Sora does.

It's actually pretty easy to find a way to tie most films into a KH plot if you try.

SS501

Awards
I only hope that they'll go back to using older Disney works that had their teams of creators disbanded cause KH3 proved that trying to cooperate with stuck up teams that had recent successful movies released only results in making Nomura's/Osaka team's life harder.

Frozen was one of the first worlds to be decided for the game since even before the movie came out and it was even Disney themselves who asked for the IP to be in KH an entire year before the movie released, but then the movie became a huge success and suddenly they went from beggars to choosers and started ignorantly putting restrictions on the team. Please never again.

GreyouTT

Awards
  1. Long Shots: Meet the Robinsons, Pocahontas, Mickey and the Beanstalk (Fun and Fancy Free), Sleepy Hollow (Ichabod and Mr. Toad), Moana, Brave, Great Mouse Detective or The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (Snow level)
What do you think?

Thinking about it, Sleepy Hollow would be a good replacement for Halloween Town.

Also it's too bad Sora can't go east for 20 minutes and go to Tokyo Disney. xD

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
If we are exploring world lines and alternate realities, I could see Shibuya as a hub to worlds we've been to before but in another form. So, Enchanted Dominion but the live action version with a friendly Maleficent. Or live action Wonderland.

My first thought after watching the secret ending was that it was leading to more live action Disney film worlds in KH by transporting Sora and Riku to a worldline closer to reality. Mainly because the whole thing struck me as “Sora and Riku are in a real life city” unlike most people who interpreted it as them being in TWEWY. (Though in a sense, it could be both.) The style of the prerendered CG seemed closer to the live action look of the Caribbean than of the rest of the game, evening the opening and ending scenes. Sora even looks at is hand before looking around, possibly as if he notices his body looks different than normal. I also interpreted MoM making the heart in the normal to be symbolic of this being “KH in reality” or something like that.

Also, Nomura said the Caribbean in this game was to show KH could incorporate live action worlds effectively. I wouldn’t put it past him to want to take it to the next level and do a full game of them since the Caribbean was generally well-received from a design and graphical standpoint.

It also could make some sense that if Yozora is a parallel version of Sora and/or Riku, that there would be parallels of the Disney characters as well.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I would love some kind of one-off KH game where all the worlds are parallel dreamverse versions of worlds Sora's been together (in the form of the re-makes). Sora being...in whatever realm he's in would be a good excuse. B&tB, Aladdin, Alice, Maleficent, TLK, TJB, Dumbo, Christopher Robin, etc. Maybe throw in some other live-action films like Oz the Great and Powerful and Mary Poppins* while they're at it.

* Although I still like the idea I've read on this forum before of MP being a minigame world via a pastel drawing on a pavement somewhere (Twilight Town or Radiant Garden).

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
I think they choose worlds based on a mixture of reasons, and one of those is the themes of both the KH game and the Disney film, so it's hard to predict when you don't really know where Sora is or what it's going to take for him to come back.
I won't argue with that and your somewhat correct that the themes from the Disney films are the most important part when choosing the Disney worlds in the KH games as shown here:

• KH1 - Friendship
  • CoM/RR - Memories/Redemption
  • KH2 - Promises
  • Days - Identity
  • BBS - Connections (Like, "Connections to the past" and between friends.)
  • Coded - Lost Connections
  • Dream Drop Distance - Trust
  • KH3 - Resolution, but mainly Separation, Connections and Sacrifice
Although in my unpopular opinion, I feel that some of the Disney worlds (not all of them) felt questionable in some of the KH games, not to say that there is anything wrong with them being in the game but I feel that some of them should've been worlds in earlier installments or don't seem to align with the theme like The Hunchback of Notre Dame felt more like a KH1 or KH2 world, mainly the latter given that half of the worlds in KH2 consisted of films from the Disney Renaissance (e.g. Lion King, Mulan, etc.) and some of the worlds like Beast's Castle, Land of Dragons and Pride Lands where just worlds added in the game because their worlds were destroyed by the Heartless in the first game and the latter two worlds had Simba and Mushu who first started out as summons in KH1, not because those films share the same themes to KH2. For Monster's Inc., I think this should have been a world earlier in the KH series like Dream Drop Distance or BBS, mainly the former instead of KH3 cause I was expecting a Pixar world to appear even before KH3, especially MI, and I'm a little salty about Wreck-It Ralph not included as a world in KH3. Personally, I felt Dark Riku felt more fitting for Wreck-it Ralph than Big Hero 6 imao, given that the former film had more mentioning of Data which was prevalent in that film and especially in the Tron franchise than Big Hero 6.

WIR, Dumbo, and Alice would all work if the story is a "game" of sorts for Sora to find his way back to the real world (sort of like the game played by the TWEWY characters). Coco is the obvious one, of course, because Sora's "dead" in a way. TP is a story of growing up, which could connect somewhat since Sora's immaturity (abusing the Power to Return Hearts) is how he took himself out. I suppose TJB could fit the "game" theme in the sense that Mowgli has to return to the human world for his own safety at the end and Sora needs to do the same. Brave's focus on fate could work well. Kida sacrifices herself to save everyone else the way Sora does.

It's actually pretty easy to find a way to tie most films into a KH plot if you try.
I'm still hoping for some variety on the Disney worlds they choose for the next game, I think the ones I put down especially Wreck-It Ralph, Coco, Treasure Planet, Brave, Dumbo, the live-action Alice in Wonderland, to name a few seem to be the best picks for worlds in the next KH game given the environment and gameplay value until we get KHIV.

I see KHIV just consisting of the more recent films released by Disney (e.g. Moana, Raya and the Last Dragon, Zootopia, Onward) with some returning favorites (e.g. Agrabah, 100 Acre Wood, Toy Box, Arendelle)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 252753

I won't argue with that and your somewhat correct that the themes from the Disney films are the most important part when choosing the Disney worlds in the KH games as shown here:

• KH1 - Friendship
  • CoM/RR - Memories/Redemption
  • KH2 - Promises
  • Days - Identity
  • BBS - Connections (Like, "Connections to the past" and between friends.)
  • Coded - Lost Connections
  • Dream Drop Distance - Trust
  • KH3 - Resolution
Although in my unpopular opinion, I feel that some of the Disney worlds (not all of them) felt questionable in some of the KH games, not to say that there is anything wrong with them being in the game but I feel that some of them should've been worlds in earlier installments or don't seem to align with the theme like The Hunchback of Notre Dame felt more like a KH1 or KH2 world, mainly the latter given that half of the worlds in KH2 consisted of films from the Disney Renaissance (e.g. Lion King, Mulan, etc.) and some of the worlds like Land of Dragons and Pride Lands where just worlds added in because there worlds were destroyed by the Heartless in the first game and they had Simba and Mushu as summons not because they share KH2's themes, for Monster's Inc. I think this should have been a world earlier in the KH series like Dream Drop Distance or BBS, mainly the latter instead of KH3 and I'm a little salty about Wreck-It Ralph not included as a world in KH3. Personally I felt Dark Riku felt more fitting for Wreck-it Ralph than Big Hero 6 imao, given that the former film had more mentioning of Data which was prevalent in the film and in the Tron franchise than Big Hero 6.

I'm still hoping for some variety on the Disney worlds they choose for the next game, I think the ones I put down especially Wreck-It Ralph, Coco, Treasure Planet, Brave, Dumbo, the live-action Alice in Wonderland, to name a few seem to be the best picks for the next KH game given the environment and worlds before KHIV's worlds.

I see KHIV just consisting of the more recent films released by Disney (e.g. Raya and the Last Dragon, Zootopia, Onward) with some returning favorites (e.g. Agrabah, 100 Acre Wood, Toy Box, Arendelle)

I think for most, if not all the games, it's hard to reduce the worlds to one or even two key themes. But for KH3, I would actually say that the main themes are Separation & Connection and maybe Sacrifice.

To be brief, almost every world in KH3 is split in two in some way (mortal world/Olympus, Twilight Town/Datascape Twilight Town, real Toy Box/copy, Monstropolis/Boo's world, Carribbean/Davy Jones' Locker, San Fransokyo/other dimension [where first Baymax was]). Arendelle and Corona are not physically split exactly (though Rapunzel's tower does feel like a separate world to her growing up) but in these worlds separation is still emphasized (Elsa - 'This is my home now, I can't go back').

These worlds explore how connected hearts cope with separation in various ways. I feel like people talk about connections an awful lot in the game, even more so than other games in the series. For example, when you get 5* in the Bistro you get a cutscene discussing Sora's ability to connect with hearts, which I found odd.

My point is I really think KH3 does hammer home these themes throughout, more so than previous games IMHO.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
I only hope that they'll go back to using older Disney works that had their teams of creators disbanded cause KH3 proved that trying to cooperate with stuck up teams that had recent successful movies released only results in making Nomura's/Osaka team's life harder.

Frozen was one of the first worlds to be decided for the game since even before the movie came out and it was even Disney themselves who asked for the IP to be in KH an entire year before the movie released, but then the movie became a huge success and suddenly they went from beggars to choosers and started ignorantly putting restrictions on the team. Please never again.
Really? Cause I remember that Disney and/or Roy Conli asked Big Hero 6 to be added in the game at the last minute following the movie's release in 2014, according to Nomura, plus it was the last world chosen development. Don't forget that Tangled and Toy Story, when they were first announced as worlds in KH3 and in interviews by Nomura, were also the first worlds decided for Kingdom Hearts III, especially the former.

Lastly, while Frozen did had the most guidelines from Disney and the people who worked on them, it wasn't the ONLY Disney world that had it, in fact, most of the New Disney Worlds introduced to
Kingdom Hearts III (minus Big Hero 6) also had guidelines from Disney as well. Even Pixar also put guidelines to Nomura and Square Enix on the worlds based on their movies (Toy Story and Monster's Inc.), of course not in the same level as the guidelines seen in the Tangled and especially the Frozen world, but it was mostly noticeable In the Monster's Inc. world given how picky and restrictive they were on not allowing Randall to be a boss (more so a mid-boss) in the level, compared to the Toy Story world imho.

I say that San Fransokyo, from
Big Hero 6 was the ONLY new Disney world out of the 5 new Disney worlds (Kingdom of Corona, Toy Box, Monstropolis, and Arendelle) introduced for KH3, that Disney didn't put Guidelines and restrictions on given that the story was set after the events of the movie instead of being a retelling of the original film which allowed Nomura and his team creative freedom, of course credit goes to Roy Conli (producer of Big Hero 6) who came up with the original story.

Finally, I feel in my unpopular opinion that Kingdom of Corona was more frustrating than Arendelle. I already made a lot of complaints on Kingdom of Corona, before which you can view
here, here and here, but literally, Sora, Donald and Goofy stood out like a "sore thumb" in the world especially during the 2nd and last acts of the world.

Regarding Olympus (Hercules), 100 Acre Wood (Winnie the Pooh) and The Caribbean (Pirates of the Caribbean) I say that they
where the Disney worlds I didn't see ANY restrictions/guidelines put on those world in KH3, especially the former two. This is given that most of the people who worked on those films weren't involved in the game and Disney who had no involvement with the movies the world is based on in the previous installments just allowed Nomura and his Team to do what they want with these worlds/films given that they appeared in previous KH titles, even the same can be said with the other Disney worlds in previous games like Halloween Town (Nightmare Before Christmas), Neverland (Peter Pan), Land of Dragons (Mulan), among others.

The Caribbean is in the grey area, while it didn't had any of the people involved from the film series nor did it had guidelines like Arendelle, Corona and the Pixar-based worlds: Toy Box and Monstropolis in KH3, they had to trimmed things down due to time constraints, as the original film was nearly 3 hours long (169 minutes) and also a lot of stuff has happened in the film hence why we had SDG spending time with the "Jack Sparrow" made by Tia Dalma and just only going through rescuing Jack Sparrow from Davy Jones' Locker to The Maelstrom Battle at the climax of the world.

I expect the same thing for some of the earlier Disney films that become worlds in future games like Pocahontas, Lilo & Stitch, Treasure Planet, Atlantis, Dumbo, Meet the Robinsons, among others will allow Nomura and his team more creative freedom on them.

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Personally, I want it to be Riku visiting worlds with a focus on the afterlife in order to find Sora, with Sora's half being all Shibuya. It'd take the fun out of TWEWY if Sora just does what he always does, plus keeping Sora in one place instead of filler would (theoretically) put better focus the main story.

Please, let Riku go off and have fun Disney adventures ;A;

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Please, let Riku go off and have fun Disney adventures ;A;
Yeah, but have him bring friends. The boy tries to shoulder way too much on his own.

He's earned a fun Disney adventure with two companions, like Sora had.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I really don't get why people are jumping to a conclusion this drastic? Secret endings and secret episodes are designed to be vague and ambigious, we don't know the context of this scene.

Disney is going to be implemented the same as it always has and no secret ending/secret episode is going to change that.

The same way people think the crossover that is Disney + Final Fantasy = KH, will eventually become a unilateral non-crossover with solely (non-story progressing) Disney worlds. Down to the last Moogle or Cactuar statue, there will always surely be some presence of FF in these games to honor that marriage. YMMV on satisfactory cameos. That being said, we're clearly getting our dose of Square-Enix properties *cough* crossover material *cough* in the future with TWEWY and not-Noctis - counting him as FF, because it's a straw I need to grasp for. :E

SS501

Awards
Really? Cause I remember that Disney and/or Roy Conli asked Big Hero 6 to be added in the game at the last minute
Yeah here is the interview bit

"Nomura: Usually when we think about making a game, we choose from works already available to the public. However for Frozen, when we were selecting the worlds, Disney showed us the preview before it was finished, and we liked it enough to continue the discussion to include it in the game. We decided on the inclusion before the movie was premiered, so we were lucky that it was a huge success (laughs) "

In another interview from Dengeki he also says
"Frozen was planned to be a world pretty early in development.
It follows the movie pretty closely, and Sora's story proceeds as Elsa's and Anna's move on. The Keyblade from the world of Frozen transforms you so you have shoes for skating. Elsa and everyone else don't join your team, but Marshmallow will offer your his help."

Frozen released in November of 2013 so if they decided to use it before it was even finished it must have happened very early in KH3's development, like a year before they even switched engines.

D

Deleted member 246005

I always wanted a Riku/Mickey adventure but I'd be ok with Riku teaming up with Oswald the lucky rabbit.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
Yeah here is the interview bit

"Nomura: Usually when we think about making a game, we choose from works already available to the public. However for Frozen, when we were selecting the worlds, Disney showed us the preview before it was finished, and we liked it enough to continue the discussion to include it in the game. We decided on the inclusion before the movie was premiered, so we were lucky that it was a huge success (laughs) "

In another interview from Dengeki he also says "Frozen was planned to be a world pretty early in development.
It follows the movie pretty closely, and Sora's story proceeds as Elsa's and Anna's move on. The Keyblade from the world of Frozen transforms you so you have shoes for skating. Elsa and everyone else don't join your team, but Marshmallow will offer your his help."

Frozen released in November of 2013 so if they decided to use it before it was even finished it must have happened very early in KH3's development, like a year before they even switched engines.
Pretty sure that development for Kingdom Hearts III started around late 2012/early-mid 2013 and the switch to Unreal Engine 4 was around October 2014. So sometime around 2013 was when Disney showed a completed version of the film which is where they decided to include the world.

Secondly, as I said before while Frozen may be one of the first worlds chosen in development it wasn't the ONLY one in fact previous interviews by Nomura mentioned that Tangled and also Toy Story were also chosen very early in development of KH3, especially the former. Here is his interview on Tangled:

"Nomura: “This is the first we're showing the world of Tangled. And actually, during interviews, I’ve been asked by a lot of media ‘why choose Tangled?’ This is actually one of the first worlds we determined would be in the game. The process usually runs where the development team would come up with suggestions and present it to me as a proposal for the worlds. But for the world of Tangled, they just really wanted to get this to come through, and they just had this determination—this desire—to have the world of Tangled featured in Kingdom Hearts III. I was explaining it earlier, but the reason they focused on Tangled was, at first impression, the characters Rapunzel and her strong personality, as well as her hair, the way she is able to utilize her hair in such a way where she’s whipping it around. She can even use it for attacks, and that was just so appealing, and we thought it would make for such great gameplay, so we had a very strong desire to include that.”

And here's Toy Story:
Nomura took interest in Toy Story for the strong mark is made on the CG world, calling the movie “iconic.” Ever since Kingdom Hearts II, he longed for it to make an appearance in the series. “Just looking at the trailer, I feel Sora really fit in and matched well with that world, and it’s something I always personally wanted to see – that image of Buzz and Woody coming face to face with Sora in his toy form. I had been imagining that in my head, and to be able to execute that into the game is something I’m really excited for and I’m hoping fans feel the same way I do.”

Turns out he actually wanted to include Toy Story and to a degree Monster's Inc. (according to the Ultmania interview) since Kingdom Hearts II, but didn't end up in the final game because Pixar wasn't owned by Disney at the time. He even went on to say he would not develop Kingdom Hearts III unless Pixar Properties were included.

I also remember in an interview following Toy Story's announcement at D23 2017 (don't know which one) he wanted to have the plot of the Toy Story world to follow the first or second film, but Pixar requested to have it be original and unrelated to the movies:
They (Pixar) said, ‘Please create something original to Kingdom Hearts,’ so we did not draw any inspiration from the films. It is completely original and exclusive to Kingdom Hearts, so you can almost say it’s a sequel of some sort.
This took months to almost years for Nomura and his team to come up with the original story while working closely with Pixar, before approving the original story.

Back