• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

A "Final Fantasy X-2" kind of game but with Kingdom Hearts

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
Saw this one on reddit some days ago and by coincidence I've been playing FFX-2, which made me start thinking on this possibility too.

Currently Sora is missing like Tidus was and Kairi should go look for him like Yuna went, instead of relying on others to do it for her (which is what most likely will happen). Aqua and Xion would tag along as party members, because they are in debt with Sora and they would also be playable in some parts. Namine is not a fighter, so she wouldn't be on the battlefield.

Considering how much Nomura seems to care about Kairi, it's possible even if we got a game like this he would find a way to not make Kairi playable, but let's ignore that for now...

What do you think about a game like this?

Last edited:

okhi12

Awards
I would really like a KH game with a woman as the main character, especially Kairi. It would give her much more -and needed- exposure and character development. But Nomura doesn't seem to be very good at writing female characters, that or he doesn't try at all. That kinda worries me, but Aqua and Xion gave me some hope... before KH3, at least. I am severely disappointed with how KH3 treated both Aqua and Kairi. Xion appeared like 2 minutes and Namine was absent save for the Final World bit and the ending cutscene.

As much as I want a good KH game with a female lead, it won't happen anytime soon. Riku is the one who is going to rescue Sora, if the secret ending means anything.
Even if it happens I don't want it to be similar to FFX-2. Overall I liked that game for the battle system and the jobs, but the story felt uninspired at best and chapter 4 was absolutely awful. The game was fun, but didn't stand a chance against FFX. They could have made it much better if only the story wasn't 80% bad fanfic-like filler because the gameplay was just fine. That's my opinion, of course, and I respect everyone who 100% liked the game.

In short, yes, I want a KH game with one or more girls as main characters, but only if they are well-written and the story is worth it. Which is not difficult at all unless it's Nomura or Kazushige Nojima.

Zach2

Saw this one on reddit some days ago and by coincidence I've been playing FFX-2, which made me start thinking on this possibility too.

Currently Sora is missing like Tidus was and Kairi should go look for him like Yuna went, instead of relying on others to do it for her (which is what most likely will happen). Aqua and Xion would tag along as party members, because they are in debt with Sora and they would also be playable in some parts. Namine is not a fighter, so she wouldn't be on the battlefield.

Considering how much Nomura seems to care about Kairi, it's possible even if we got a game like this he would find a way to not make Kairi playable, but let's ignore that for now...

What do you think about a game like this?
I don’t know. I just really hope Kairi will be playable and have a bigger role in the future

AR829038

Awards
I would disagree with you that Nomura seems to care about Kairi. If anything, the way he treated her in 3 (which was really an extension of how he's treated her throughout the entire series) shows that he doesn't really care at all for her aside from his infatuation with her as a damsel character. I'm not one to usually nag about the treatment of female characters in video games, but goddamn, I don't think I've ever seen such an unnecessary, pointless, and contemptuous shaft of a female character in my entire life, not just in video games but in all media. It would have been one thing if Nomura had just kept her as a damsel in this game, but to tease her active agenct relentlessly and then psyche the audience out at the last minute shows not only a complete lack of interest in giving her any real involvement in the story, but it also shows perhaps a bit of contempt for those who have been pleading for her involvement for years now.

okhi12

Awards
I would disagree with you that Nomura seems to care about Kairi. If anything, the way he treated her in 3 (which was really an extension of how he's treated her throughout the entire series) shows that he doesn't really care at all for her aside from his infatuation with her as a damsel character. I'm not one to usually nag about the treatment of female characters in video games, but goddamn, I don't think I've ever seen such an unnecessary, pointless, and contemptuous shaft of a female character in my entire life, not just in video games but in all media. It would have been one thing if Nomura had just kept her as a damsel in this game, but to tease her active agenct relentlessly and then psyche the audience out at the last minute shows not only a complete lack of interest in giving her any real involvement in the story, but it also shows perhaps a bit of contempt for those who have been pleading for her involvement for years now.
I think you misread Neku's comment, because he actually meant that Nomura doesn't seem to care much about Kairi, just like you said.
The 'Considering how much' part was ironic.

AR829038

Awards
I think you misread Neku's comment, because he actually meant that Nomura doesn't seem to care much about Kairi, just like you said.
Oh, okay. I misread that, then.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
Yup, that's what I meant. She could even get kidnapped again! 😅

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
I'd be all for it. Not only because it would finally give Kairi her chance to shine, and undo some of the mistakes III made with her... But also because it seems to make a sort of narrative sense (what with those TiYuna parallels), that Kairi could go ahead and become "the old Sora on his first journey" herself. Some are even thinking there are hints to this being an upcoming thing in III, like Sora and Kairi having swapped seats on the paopu tree for the first time ever in the ending there.

And really... as sad as it is to say, does Sora really need Donald and Goofy anymore? In some ways, III does sort of feel like the end of their journey. I'm not saying I want to get rid of them as Sora's party members--God forbid--and I know some would quit the series if that happened... But surely getting one game where they helped Kairi find her best friend/love who is also their best friend could be cool. I mean, Kairi has many similarities to Sora. Let's see those similarities finally pay off! And Frustrated Jacob in this video here
(19:07-19:39), makes some great points about how a Kairi/Donald/Goofy team could be interesting.

Also, if this gives us some actual female character interaction in the KH series, sign me up.

I also think this could be good, because X-2 led to XIII-2: which I actually thought was better than XIII in some ways, with some good development for Serah and Noel and a darkness that XIII didn't have: with the idea that even if Serah and Noel succeeded in saving the world like they wanted, they'd be cursing Yeul to die over and over again.

A X-2 or XIII-2 style game for KH could be great.

...I also wouldn't mind a "X-2 KH", because I feel X-2 is soon going to be retconned--and already is--with the Final Fantasy X ~Will~, Final Fantasy X-2.5, and eventual Final Fantasy X-3 stuff: they've reverted Yuna back to her less fun Summoner self, and may take Tidus away from her again... So if my only way to hold onto some of the actual good stuff that X-2 brought us is through a KH X-2, then I'll take ot.

It doesn't even have to be all girly and have changing outfits as one of its battle mechanics or anything like that.

D

Deleted member 246005

I'd give her own Disney companions and swap Donald and goofy out. Her teaming up with other female leads is a good idea but they all blend together outside Larxene. The male characters suffer from this too but not as badly.

Giving Kairi her own spinoff is 50/50 to me because she's been my least favorite character of the main cast. Ideally putting her in a 13-2 or 10-2 style story would be cool but I'm hesitant to trust Nomura with her. She's been the weak link for so long I don't know if it would actually let her shine.

I always felt people were getting their hopes too high with their expectations of Kairi in KH3.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
@Rodin. Yeah, Kairi teaming up with Minnie and Daisy has always been the dream. But if they can't include Minnie because someone has to rule Disney Castle, they could do Clarabelle or something... which would even moreso parallel Sora (and that could be cool, if they want to give her and Sora some parallel journeys and show how they're good together that way). Or Clara Cluck? (I actually don't know much about the character, so forgive me if this wouldn't work for some reason. I just know she's a main Disney one... I think? And was in Timeless River?) At least give her Pluto... and maybe someone else who she can actually talk to. But I've had crazy ideas for Kairi Disney partners over the years, like: Kim Possible, Killala Princess, Olaf, Tinker Bell, Perry the Platypus, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit... Any one of those I'd be happy with. Edit: Or Max Goof! I've thought about that so many times, since these rookies together would be great! I'm ashamed I just forgot about it until now. Or maybe The Three Caballeros?

Or if she could actually do something with her fellow Princesses of Heart! The new ones are more active than the old ones, so it could work! And Kairi could even help them through this new development of being "chosen", since she's been a Princess of Heart her entire life and knows what it's like to be targeted as once. I was actually hoping that that would happen in KHIII, but no dice.

But I'm also perfectly fine with the original idea here, of Kairi, Xion, and Aqua on an adventure together... but can we also throw Naminé in there? I swear Nomura could find a way to make her a party member or playable character if he really wanted to, even if it was just mostly support. But I want her in a game like this, because it's tragic how little of the worlds she and Kairi have seen compared to everyone else (and ones that have mostly only hurt them, at that). They haven't even had any Disney fun! The closest Kairi's gotten to that is Merlin's Time Chamber, and Yen Sid's Tower... which still isn't a lot to write home about. But other than that, the only worlds she's seen (while conscious and in her own body) are: Destiny Islands, Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden, Traverse Town, the End of the World, Twilight Town, The World That Never Was, and the Keyblade Graveyard (and Final World, I guess, if I want to get technical). Naminé has only seen Castle Oblivion, Twilight Town, The World That Never Was, Radiant Garden, and Destiny Islands.

Edit: I also forgot to mention the dream that we need, of Riku and Kairi going off on an adventure to find Sora and the narrative finally focusing on their friendship again (more than it ever has before, even).

Last edited:

Larry8877

@Rodin. Yeah, Kairi teaming up with Minnie and Daisy has always been the dream. But if they can't include Minnie because someone has to rule Disney Castle, they could do Clarabelle or something... which would even moreso parallel Sora (and that could be cool, if they want to give her and Sora some parallel journeys and show how they're good together that way). Or Clara Cluck? (I actually don't know much about the character, so forgive me if this wouldn't work for some reason. I just know she's a main Disney one... I think? And was in Timeless River?) At least give her Pluto... and maybe someone else who she can actually talk to. But I've had crazy ideas for Kairi Disney partners over the years, like: Kim Possible, Killala Princess, Olaf, Tinker Bell, Perry the Platypus, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit... Any one of those I'd be happy with. Edit: Or Max Goof! I've thought about that so many times, since these rookies together would be great! I'm ashamed I just forgot about it until now. Or maybe The Three Caballeros?

Or if she could actually do something with her fellow Princesses of Heart! The new ones are more active than the old ones, so it could work! And Kairi could even help them through this new development of being "chosen", since she's been a Princess of Heart her entire life and knows what it's like to be targeted as once. I was actually hoping that that would happen in KHIII, but no dice.

But I'm also perfectly fine with the original idea here, of Kairi, Xion, and Aqua on an adventure together... but can we also throw Naminé in there? I swear Nomura could find a way to make her a party member or playable character if he really wanted to, even if it was just mostly support. But I want her in a game like this, because it's tragic how little of the worlds she and Kairi have seen compared to everyone else (and ones that have mostly only hurt them, at that). They haven't even had any Disney fun! The closest Kairi's gotten to that is Merlin's Time Chamber, and Yen Sid's Tower... which still isn't a lot to write home about. But other than that, the only worlds she's seen (while conscious and in her own body) are: Destiny Islands, Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden, Traverse Town, the End of the World, Twilight Town, The World That Never Was, and the Keyblade Graveyard (and Final World, I guess, if I want to get technical). Naminé has only seen Castle Oblivion, Twilight Town, The World That Never Was, Radiant Garden, and Destiny Islands.

Edit: I also forgot to mention the dream that we need, of Riku and Kairi going off on an adventure to find Sora and the narrative finally focusing on their friendship again (more than vidmate it ever has before, even).

I also think this could be good, because X-2 led to XIII-2: which I actually thought was better than XIII in some ways, with some good development for Serah and Noel and a darkness that XIII didn't have: with the idea that even if Serah and Noel succeeded in saving the world like they wanted, they'd be cursing Yeul to die over and over again.

Back