• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Nitpicks

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
In KH II Olympus displayed a delicious night sky in order to showcase the "Star portraits" of Sora, Donald and Goofy, and yet I really would've liked for KH III to bring it back and make use of its newer NPCs to make one of them go "Those are Phil's boys!"

I would've CRIED.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Castle of Dreams: Terra being a good boy
Dwarf Woodlands: No Terra
Enchanted Dominion: Told by a villain that Terra has been a bad boy

Aqua's conclusion: Totally saw and experience Terra doing horrible things everywhere.

Aqua had no idea Terra freed any criminals. All she knows is that he was being a nice guy to Stitch.

You know it's scenes like that, which make me think the Radiant Garden and Keyblade Graveyard scenes were written before any of the Disney worlds.

Because unless they had her visit other worlds we didn't see off screen. She did a really fast 180 form calling Maleficent a liar and telling Ven he knows Terra better than to believe such a thing, only to doubting Terra herself and believing Maleficent by the next world.

In KH II Olympus displayed a delicious night sky in order to showcase the "Star portraits" of Sora, Donald and Goofy, and yet I really would've liked for KH III to bring it back and make use of its newer NPCs to make one of them go "Those are Phil's boys!"

I would've CRIED.

Yeah, that'd have been a nice continuity pull.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
You know it's scenes like that, which make me think the Radiant Garden and Keyblade Graveyard scenes were written before any of the Disney worlds.

Because unless they had her visit other worlds we didn't see off screen. She did a really fast 180 form calling Maleficent a liar and telling Ven he knows Terra better than to believe such a thing, only to doubting Terra herself and believing Maleficent by the next world.
Well, I'd say if those scenes were written before the Disney worlds, then Terra doing bad boy things would also have been planned before them. Meaning that should have been in mind when doing the Disney worlds.

Actually, wasn't there something way back in the day about Terra originally planned on being more of a bad guy but was changed? It's been so long I can't remember if it was something officially said or just fan speculation, but it'd make sense if this was a case of a haphazard rewrite.

And if there's one thing KH is, it's haphazard....

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Aw, that's a good point... Now correct me if I'm wrong, but did Nomura not say in early KH3 interviews that Sora was already a Master by the time he learned keyblade transformations in KH3? Whatever happened to that? Cause naming Sora Master was never even mentioned during the actual game, and I honestly don't remember Yen Sid considering it either.

This also ties back to my issue with the game never explaining how Sora gained access to Keyblade Transformations, Form Changes (but NOT drive forms), and Attraction Flow in the first place. Aqua, Terra, and Ventus had to have years of traditional training from a True Keyblade Master at an ancient training ground in order to gain access to those upper echelon abilities, and yet Sora gets probably one of the most impressive handed to him on a silver platter?? Huh? What, am I supposed to believe it was his "special garments" again? Even his duel wielding in KH2 wasn't a power that solely came from his clothing though it did help guide the process), it was a unique phenomenon that came about as a result of him housing another keyblade wielder's heart. It was, at the time, already innate to him. So what's the explanation for the Form changes, Keyblade Transformations, and Attraction Flow? How did even learn shotlocks when NONE of his active ally's ever knew the ability (BBS trio was still out of play by the time he gained that skill)? They went out of their way to show that even Riku (a Master) didn't have access to any of those powers in KH3, so what gives? And remember, Sora has had to lose and regain his powers numerous times across the series, including relearning abilities such as Ragnarock (which functions somewhat similar to a shotlock), so what exactly is the factor that elevated him from being called weaker than Pete and Maleficent (also implied to be weaker than Hades) to essentially being Master level within the span of a single game? Is he just that gifted? A true prodigy with adaptation and power growth at a level eclipses every other protagonist around him? I thought he was supposed to be viewed as an "underdog"/"regular kid." You can't have both Nomura!

And if the answer is really just because of his garments, if they're THAT much of an equalizer, then why not make that kind of clothing for EVERYONE? You had so much time to prepare for this between the length of DDD and KH3, and you're telling me one set was all you could manage (and I'm talking the full Sora package here, not the darkness resistant clothing Riku, Mickey, Lea, and Kairi wore, because even Aqua didn't need her armor to weather the RoD till she was thrown into the abyss)? I mean heck, it's the three fairies making this stuff right? Isn't Yen Sid's magic vastly superior to theirs? Could he not create them himself in half the time (while adding in all those additional benefits), or at the very least assist them in doing so (I mean, look at how quickly he was able to forge both Riku and Mickey new keyblades and "power them up")? Actually, now that I think about it, the three good fairies made Sora's KH2 clothing in like, a few seconds after they stopped bickering, so it shouldn't even take them that long. In fact, time shouldn't even be an issue in the first place because Merlin has access to a dimension where time literally isn't a factor! You guys have all these incredibly powerful tools, and no drawbacks or incentives not to use them. So use them. If you did, maybe you wouldn't get your asses kicked so often.

I thought those attractions were just going to be some non-canon fun things they added to showcase their new technology until I saw it was part of the big fight at the Keyblade Graveyard which made it canon. Now your questions are valid because no one really explains it or why Sora can use it or when he can do it. I imagine Nomura will just explain it as Sora's heart connection to others created these visuals and attacks or w/e.

It's kind of like summons where it is legit, but we never see Sora use in cutscene against bosses like Xigbar because I would question if I can actually call a Genie to help me in a fight at a low cost why not just summon him you know?

Nexale

THIS. Not to mention that after all of that talk about saving Roxas, the two barely exchange a WORD to each other when he finally comes back. Why? The most we get is Sora saying "Roxas!" and the other not even looking him in the eye (I get he was trying to be cool but.... that was it!), and all Roxas has to say to his friends- the people that he risked life and limb to be with again (one of which just came back from oblivion out of absolutely no where) is "My turn." ... Really? All these years, all that build up, for this?

So true. And that is yet another of my biggest problems with KH3. Is not only that it's character development and interaction shines for its absence. Is just that the little hints that we get are just so... out of character? I mean, Roxas trying to be cool? Since when Roxas has care the less about acting cool? Through all KH2 and 358/2 days he was a special boy trying to get a normal life and be with his friends, and his awesome moments has been more in line of getting over-angry (I. AM. ME.) than acting over-confindent. That line sounds much more like Riku than Roxas.

They were just so many lines, actitudes and even demeanor that seems misplaced. This one with Roxas, but also: sensible Aqua wanting to fight alone against Vanitas instead of team working just for showing her strength? That is Terra. No-sense-of-humor always-lost-in-diatribes-about-darknes Ansem SoD joking with calling Ansem the Wise "wise"? I would have expected that from Xigbar.

Is just everyone, Mickey wanting to abort mission all the time, Axel always sad and apologeting and accepting to be in the background, Ienzo always creepingly happy (and even if he has a heart now, he seems like a really quite, serious and even sad as a child)... even Phil mute, but mute characters are another (infuriating) topic. I could go on forever.

They just seemed... not themselves? Like they all have lost its essence and personality...

disney233

Awards
I have another nitpick.....and it's my BIGGEST one and glad as hell that it's been SOMEWHAT dealt with in KH3 and 0.2.

Do you see it? DO. YOU. FREAKING SEE IT?!

IMAGINE HOW HORRID IT WOULD'VE LOOKED LIKE IF THIS WAS THE FINAL RESULTS!

I don't think you guys understand how...INFURIATING these 'fish faces' were to me, EVERYTIME I go back to this game. It's just high-way laziness! And this series has the DAMN tendency to SWITCH THE FACES FROM ANIMATION TO...THIS IN JUST ABOUT EVERY SECOND! It's so infuriating for me to watch. A handful of them don't even GET animation. It's DISGUSTINGLY noticeable in 1, 2, and Birth by Sleep...and it's ALWAYS been an aggravation to me. I...might as well count EVERY world in COM, too. It's just...sooooooooo annoying. I get it, animation takes time. BUT SERIOUSLY 80% OF FISH FACE, AND 40% OF ANIMATION? These faces have been the BANE of my existence.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
So how was Dark Riku able to conjure a giant shadowy apparition of Master Xehanort? If he was Rikunort from the past it would make sense but since he isn't that always confused me.

Was the old man possessing him in that moment like he did with his younger self in DDD?

disney233

Awards
So how was Dark Riku able to conjure a giant shadowy apparition of Master Xehanort? If he was Rikunort from the past it would make sense but since he isn't that always confused me.

Was the old man possessing him in that moment like he did with his younger self in DDD?
I think it could be Xehanort or Ansem posessing him, because they seem to make him out as the Riku that Ansem possessed. The one that Ansem gave his powers to....I think. The storyline just LOVES to keep things a mystery until spoon-fed. That whole Riku thing confused the living hell out of me. Just HOW many Rikus are there now?

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards

Honestly at first glance this seems like one of those "Rule of Cool" moments KH loves to pull. Implementing something just because it'd make for a interesting or cool visual, even if it break the lore.

Still it's not hard to imagine that as one of the New Org, he'd get a power boost and be able to create a shadowy apparition of Master Xehanort.
After all Riku in KH1 could use his darkness powers to make a Anti-Sora heartless. Doesn't seem too far fetched that a just up version of that could be similar to what we saw Dark Riku do.

It's not out of the question that Geezernot was taking a more active possession of Dark Riku at that time, to control the apparition, but I don't think it'd be necessary.

Just HOW many Rikus are there now?
This is probably rhetorical, but figured I might as well count.

Well it really depends on if this is a new Repliku or the old one pulled forward in time.

If it's the later we're still at 3 Rikus (Original, Replica and Journal). I'm of course not counting the different forms or variation of him like Riku possesed by AoS or Riku looking like AoS.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
KH1/CoM/Coded: Card Soldiers
KH2: Cursed Pirates
BBS: Maleficent's goons
DDD: CLU's Black Guard
X: Card Soldiers and goons and cy-bugs
KH3: ............

Ok fine, there are the possessed toys. But they're not toys that actually appeared in any Toy Story film so I don't wanna count those. Really surprising we didn't fight Jones' crew and/or EITC marines at the very least.

Guernsey

Awards

And now for something positive about the boss. From a thematic standpoint, Ansem's fight against Riku is the most symbolic Riku VS Ansem fight of all. Ansem made Riku a puppet since KH1, squared off with him again in an attempt to corrupt him once more in KH:COM, and has lived on through Young Xehanort's plots, but also...because he still lived within Riku's heart. The ansem that is fought here is, what I believe, to be a symbolic personification of Riku's foolishness and overwhelming darkness. And in this fight? Riku kicks Ansem's ass as a symbol of his growth. As a friend to sora, and as a keyblade master who overcomes his mistakes and griefs. Applause to Riku, who has control over light and darkness.

Too bad KH3 ent out of its way to ruin this interpretation by stating that Ansem always knew Riku was stronger than him and actually feared their final confrontation. Instead of being representative of Riku's looming guilt, turns out he never had control of Riku after all. Bravo, Nomura

I think I kind of agree with these comments but I also wonder if they should had kept the Ansem/Riku in KH3?

redcrown

Awards
You know I've been wanting to post this nitpick for awhile but I couldn't bring it upon myself to mention this without delving deeper into why this whole plotline didn't work in the first place, which would make it beyond a nitpick. But since it's been brought up I feel like I finally should.

The whole multiple Rikus plotline was confusing and unneeded enough, but I also don't understand why the "possessed Riku from the past" was so different from the one we saw in KH1 and Reverse Rebirth. If that Riku was supposed to be the Ansem possessed one from the past why didn't he have the double voice and similar mannerisms as Ansem SoD, and why did they give him the golden eyes when he didn't have it in those games? I don't even care if it was just a stylistic choice difference, it just didn't even make sense that they didn't remain faithful to details in previous games, and it feels like a downright retcon imo.

Although I'm still even not sure if possessed KH1 Riku was even one of the Seekers of Darkness in KH3; was it ever confirmed by Nomura? I just can't keep track of the amount of Riku's and what versions they were supposed to be in this game. First we have the Riku in San Fransokyo confronting Sora, then the one that meets Maleficent and Pete at the end of that world's story (which I'm not even sure if they are the same Riku since they kind of act completely different from each other), then we have the one in the Keyblade Graveyard which I don't even know if it's the same one from San Fransokyo, and finally the one that was the replica in Riku's heart which seemed obviously to be the replica from CoM.

It's hard to keep track of all this when it was so stupidly confusing and completely unneeded in the first place. I'm between not caring about this at all and being just overly annoyed about this at the same time. Even if all of this was clarified within the game or Nomura's interviews I can't help but just be exasperated that this plotline was even created in the first place.

This nitpick ended up being a rant more than a nitpick, sorry.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
You know I've been wanting to post this nitpick for awhile but I couldn't bring it upon myself to mention this without delving deeper into why this whole plotline didn't work in the first place, which would make it beyond a nitpick. But since it's been brought up I feel like I finally should.

The whole multiple Rikus plotline was confusing and unneeded enough, but I also don't understand why the "possessed Riku from the past" was so different from the one we saw in KH1 and Reverse Rebirth. If that Riku was supposed to be the Ansem possessed one from the past why didn't he have the double voice and similar mannerisms as Ansem SoD, and why did they give him the golden eyes when he didn't have it in those games? I don't even care if it was just a stylistic choice difference, it just didn't even make sense that they didn't remain faithful to details in previous games, and it feels like a downright retcon imo.

Although I'm still even not sure if possessed KH1 Riku was even one of the Seekers of Darkness in KH3; was it ever confirmed by Nomura? I just can't keep track of the amount of Riku's and what versions they were supposed to be in this game. First we have the Riku in San Fransokyo confronting Sora, then the one that meets Maleficent and Pete at the end of that world's story (which I'm not even sure if they are the same Riku since they kind of act completely different from each other), then we have the one in the Keyblade Graveyard which I don't even know if it's the same one from San Fransokyo, and finally the one that was the replica in Riku's heart which seemed obviously to be the replica from CoM.

It's hard to keep track of all this when it was so stupidly confusing and completely unneeded in the first place. I'm between not caring about this at all and being just overly annoyed about this at the same time. Even if all of this was clarified within the game or Nomura's interviews I can't help but just be exasperated that this plotline was even created in the first place.

This nitpick ended up being a rant more than a nitpick, sorry.
The Riku we see in the Organization is called Dark Riku. As for his actually identity while he was assumed at first to be the Ansem possessed Riku from KH1 he is actually Repliku from the past brought back in a Replica body. This was confirmed both in game during his death scene and Famitsu

The multiple Rikus do add some bit of confusion though

Last edited:

disney233

Awards
The Riku we see in the Organization is called Dark Riku. As for his actually identity while he was assumed at first to be the Ansem possessed Riku from KH1 he is actually Repliku from the past brought back in a Replica body. This was confirmed both in game during his death scene and Famitsu

Yes because multiple Soras and Xehanort wasn't enough, huh? Now we gotta add multiple Rikus.

redcrown

Awards

Ok, that clears things up a lot. I'm not as mad about it now, but still annoyed that it was so confusing.

So basically it's only 2 new Riku's in KH3 and they're both the Repliku from CoM but just different stages; before and after he got his memories back, and the former Norted. Got it, but it was still unneeded imo.

Back