• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Nitpicks

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Thinking back at how Yen Sid states that a true Master needs to wield the Power of Waking, necessary to awoken sleeping hearts, and how in the fight against the Beast we make full use of his awakening powers to completely free Beast's heart...

...Is Cogsworth secretly the strongest Keyblade Master?

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
KH3D Opening remastered version has two stupid mistakes:

1- Mickey silhouette has no place to be there. It was ok for the original version because Nintendo 3DS had two screens. With just one screen, having him in there just becomes distracting.

2 - Credits placement. They couldn't find a worse place to put the credits that in the middle of the screen.

Every time I want to rewatch this Opening I have to search for the original version, because these two mistakes makes it impossible for me to fully enjoy it.
It hurts to watch. How could anyone have thought that was a good idea?

Thinking back at how Yen Sid states that a true Master needs to wield the Power of Waking, necessary to awoken sleeping hearts, and how in the fight against the Beast we make full use of his awakening powers to completely free Beast's heart...

...Is Cogsworth secretly the strongest Keyblade Master?
Cogsworth is the Master of Masters.

And Pete can ignore the rules of time travel just like Merlin by feeling really sad. So either Pete is an all-powerful wizard or his heart is just that strong!

disney233

Awards
There's so much continuity in KH2 that has never reached the light of day. Remember this scene? 11791

Next to Cogsworth power of awakening, and Pete's strong-ass heart to SOMEHOW create a door to the past, you'd think that Jack wielding the keyblade wouldn't be far off (Given how poorly executed the keyblade transfer (I think that's the word? idk anymore) is.

Guernsey

Awards
I once read a post where they talked about how KH has a bad habit of over explaining things. Kingdom Hearts just over explains things or it just explains in a poor way.

disney233

Awards
I got a classical nitpick. Idk if anyone's said it before, but even I realize it in my own stories. The amount of darkness and the CONCEPT of darkness said in this game is...extremely unsettling. I don't think any other series would have characters say darkness 668 times throughout an entire series. Not even counting the non-vocal scenes.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I find it odd that they had Riku and Mickey look for people that could make the dive for Aqua and yet we never see them interact with characters she did, who have assets and models in the game like Stitch and Hercules.

I mean Stitch seemed attached enough to the TAV trio that it made his own wayfinder, you'd think he'd be interested in helping Riku and Mickey.

The way they handled that subplot it seemed like RM just tried failed and then chilled around Radiant Garden until Sora was ready to safe them in the Realm of Darkness.

Veevee

Awards
I find it odd that they had Riku and Mickey look for people that could make the dive for Aqua and yet we never see them interact with characters she did, who have assets and models in the game like Stitch and Hercules.

I mean Stitch seemed attached enough to the TAV trio that it made his own wayfinder, you'd think he'd be interested in helping Riku and Mickey.

The way they handled that subplot it seemed like RM just tried failed and then chilled around Radiant Garden until Sora was ready to safe them in the Realm of Darkness.

I also wondered about the same thing. They also didn't have any reason to go back there after their keyblades broke and they saw that they couldn't get her because a) they couldn't make the dive and b) they were too weak. There was absolutely NO reason to go in there again, obviously not having found anyone or gotten significantly stronger, smarter or found a clue and it was all to finally rush the plot by saying "oh, Sora, we're in danger, help, help!". The whole Dark Aqua plot could've been interesting, but it doesn't make any sense and felt like it was just there for trailer bait and stalling Riku (and showing us how much Sora fazes over him, but not Kairi).

Also: Mickey had a whole journey alongside Aqua in 0.2 and I don't know the exact sympathy points you need to have for the dive and how many interactions and pointless flower presents that would've equated, but how did they imagine finding someone with a strong enough bond to her AND dragging that person into the worst danger zone in the KH universe to say "yeah, you spoke with her, you're obviously more qualified than the guy who spent half a game with her, so, go, jump into that especially bad darkness"? When Mickey thought it was too dangerous to even GO in the RoD?

Another nitpick which is more like a complaint: Why were Donald and Goofy not considered to fill Guardian of Light spots? It has never been explicitly stated that they must all be keyblade wielders, otherwise the princesses would have no place there and they could've saved a lot of trouble by using these two. They only would've needed two more, Axel could've stuck with the Chakrams (since he did nothing with the keyblade anyway) and they looked for Aqua anyway. Bämm, seven wielders, we're done.

Last edited:

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I also wondered about the same thing. They also didn't have any reason to go back there after their keyblades broke and they saw that they couldn't get her because a) they couldn't make the dive and b) they were too weak. There was absolutely NO reason to go in there again, obviously not having found anyone or gotten significantly stronger, smarter or found a clue and it was all to finally rush the plot by saying "oh, Sora, we're in danger, help, help!". The whole Dark Aqua plot could've been interesting, but it doesn't make any sense and felt like it was just there for trailer bait and stalling Riku (and showing us how much Sora fazes over him, but not Kairi).

Also: Mickey had a whole journey alongside Aqua in 0.2 and I don't know the exact sympathy points you need to have for the dive and how many interactions and pointless flower presents that would've equated, but how did they imagine finding someone with a strong enough bond to her AND dragging that person into the worst danger zone in the KH universe to say "yeah, you spoke with her, you're obviously more qualified than the guy who spent half a game with her, so, go, jump into that especially bad darkness"? When Mickey thought it was too dangerous to even GO in the RoD?

Well, if I remember correctly they initially headed there to give Kairi and Axel their new outfits, but I don't quite get why they then just hung out there for who knows how long.

Also you bring up a good point, even if they did find someone better qualified then Mickey, what would they do? The person would need the power of Waking and be able to withstand the RoD, which really makes it impossible for them to find anyone.

Another nitpick which is more like a complaint: Why were Donald and Goofy not considered to fill Guardian of Light spots? It has never been explicitly stated that they must all be keyblade wielders, otherwise the princesses would have no place there and they could've saved a lot of trouble by using these two. They only would've needed two more, Axel could've stuck with the Chakrams (since he did nothing with the keyblade anyway) and they looked for Aqua anyway. Bämm, seven wielders, we're done.

yeah, I mean they even pointed out that technically they had 9 guardians. I find it especially odd that all guardians had to wield keyblades yet the darknesses could wield whatever they wanted.
Like I get that they introduced a lot of fan favorites in the build up to KH and their inclusion was desirable, but really the whole thing seems so random.

Another Nitpick I have, why after the events of Re:Coded and DDD did it take Sora and co so long to piece together who the three hearts in Sora were. I thought they already knew Ven and Roxas where in Sora's heart and that Riku would have figured out by the mention of a third heart that it'd be the third person he met when he dived into Sora's heart.

disney233

Awards

Cause they wanted to give people with Keyblades more status...oh wait. They did NOTHING but cower while the two without keyblades did more work.

I'd still put my money on Stitch. I don't think there's anyone in their 'friend circle' that would take the time to create a wayfinder of their own. Though it might be an abrupt thing, I fully believe Stitch would damn well try to find Aqua. He does has a stronger bond with TAV better than Sora with BOTH. HE HARDLY KNEW EITHER OF THEM. And this would be a test of how resistant Jumbaa made him.

SEE? WORLD BUILDING! WHERE TF IS IT AT?! THERE ARE WAYS TO INTEGRATE DISNEY INTO THIS ABYSMAL PLOTLINE!

Last edited:

redcrown

Awards
There was no reason Mickey and Riku's keyblades had to break at all, it was only used as shallow trailer bait (with the "my other me might need it") and for the plot to be stalled until the very end.

disney233

Awards
I'm still nitpicking as to why the hell Alice makes a better PoH than Ariel. Like....yes I get that she doesn't need to be royalty to be one...but it kinda makes sense. It's like saying Wendy should've been one too. Like...it makes no sense to me that they chose Alice over Ariel.

Megavoltage

Awards
used as shallow trailer bait
That's more than half of the story events, lol. Hardly anything that happened mattered at all. Such a bizarre and disappointing conclusion.

Sheesh, it's been several months since KH3's release but I'm still depressive and weird about it. I've been disappointed by video games before but I usually just shrug my shoulders and go play something else. But this game crushed me. I'm embarrassed at how much it hurt me, like I feel adults shouldn't be this deeply invested in fictional universes but I just can't get over how much of a deplorable letdown KH3 was.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
That's more than half of the story events, lol. Hardly anything that happened mattered at all. Such a bizarre and disappointing conclusion.

Sheesh, it's been several months since KH3's release but I'm still depressive and weird about it. I've been disappointed by video games before but I usually just shrug my shoulders and go play something else. But this game crushed me. I'm embarrassed at how much it hurt me, like I feel adults shouldn't be this deeply invested in fictional universes but I just can't get over how much of a deplorable letdown KH3 was.
Well this isn't just any game, it's a game we've been looking forward and building up to for years. We've had multiple games setting up things for this game, only for them to be glossed over.

I think it's normal that it missing the mark bothers us more than if another game had done that.

Another nitpick of mine is what was the point of them introducing the new PoH in this game?

The explanation for why there are new ones felt weak, especially seeing this game's ending would have served the purpose of creating new one's better than what they handwaved.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Yo, same hat. My depression post-KH3 has yet to go away. I try to focus it into something productive like writing, but I just cycle between anger and disappointment.

What sucks is that some days I really do like KH3, or something said by some fans reminds me that there were some parts of KH3 that brightened up my day when I was playing and I feel okay about the game...then I remember everything I hated and that well of joy just dries up.

It’s normal to become attached to fictional stories, especially as adults since stories are meant to be a form of healthy escapism for people. It just sucks that these fictional stories can disappoint us, either because they are fundamentally flawed or we expect too much out of them.

Nexale

KH CoM: Replicas aren't real people.
KH 358/2: They say replicas aren't real people, but we see they act and feel like people.
KH 3D: Everything can grow a heart. Nobodies and replicas too.
KHIII: Now we can make replicas that are not replicas but people!!!

Wait... what? Why on earth have they change all the build up for replicas to actually win their status as people trough their own will and conections to introduce "replicas that are not replicas"? What is what makes 358/2 Xion less "human" than KHIII Xion? They look and act exactly the same! And does that mean that Repliku is less human than Xion in KHIII because it was a prototype or what?

I hate that, really. Don't know what makes replicas "no-human" before and less do I know what makes them "human" now. I expect that in a series so focus on friendship and identity they could come up with a better reason that "their production design is better because Vexen has improved it"

disney233

Awards
KH CoM: Replicas aren't real people.
KH 358/2: They say replicas aren't real people, but we see they act and feel like people.
KH 3D: Everything can grow a heart. Nobodies and replicas too.
KHIII: Now we can make replicas that are not replicas but people!!!

Wait... what? Why on earth have they change all the build up for replicas to actually win their status as people trough their own will and conections to introduce "replicas that are not replicas"? What is what makes 358/2 Xion less "human" than KHIII Xion? They look and act exactly the same! And does that mean that Repliku is less human than Xion in KHIII because it was a prototype or what?

I hate that, really. Don't know what makes replicas "no-human" before and less do I know what makes them "human" now. I expect that in a series so focus on friendship and identity they could come up with a better reason that "their production design is better because Vexen has improved it"
I like how Vexen was there for that sole purpose, but just yeeted out of endgame, completely proving that he had no reason to come back.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
Another Nitpick I have, why after the events of Re:Coded and DDD did it take Sora and co so long to piece together who the three hearts in Sora were. I thought they already knew Ven and Roxas where in Sora's heart and that Riku would have figured out by the mention of a third heart that it'd be the third person he met when he dived into Sora's heart.
I completely forgot about this, and yeah, that's actually really bad, lol. Does anyone remember Re: Coded's secret ending, where Mickey bassically deduced where Ven's heart was (which "just leaves Terra", according to Yen Sid in that very scene)? That was supposedly because Mickey finally saw Roxas for the first time and picked up on his physical similarities to Ventus (with them bassically being identical and all), as well as Data Namine mentioning how both Ventus and Sora shared "a very special connection." Both of these things would've been what clued Mickey into the fate of Ventus' heart, hence why he's so sure of where it is by the end of that game. And we know that Mickey recorded down *specifically this information* in his letter to Sora Riku and Kairi, and the scene of them reading it was shown and extended no less than three times across the series. So what gives? Did Mickey not include anything about his conclusions surrounding the potential whereabouts of Ventus' heart in his (surprisingly detailed) letter despite Namine explicitly telling him to do so? Did Riku not put two and two together after reading this and seeing Ventus, Roxas, and Xion in Sora's heart at the end of DDD? Or are we assuming no one told him Ventus looked just like Roxas? Though we are talking about Mickey, so who really knows what he decided to leave out. Either way, Mickey and Yen Sid still should've known at the very least by the time KH3 started, so why was it Vanitas and Ienzo of ALL people that had to "reveal" this information to the protagonist when it's finally time to rescue them? And even then it affects nothing since Sora refused to inform Aqua at the moment of truth (and Ventus would've revealed himself anyway, though it was pretty obvious after all Sora's involuntary outburst about saving someone he admitted to not even remembering), and I still don't fully understand what was going on with Roxas since all of that happened off screen.

Also, I'm kinda dissapointed about what they did with the build up regarding Ansem's data from DDD. I thought, based on his words to Aqua in Blank Points, it would've been used to help restore those hearts within him, not just reaffirm something we already know. In reality, the pre existing data saved of Roxas on the digital Twilight Town (data that we didn't even know existed up until it was brought up) did more for the actual process of restoring Sora's Nobody than the data from DDD did.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I'm still nitpicking as to why the hell Alice makes a better PoH than Ariel. Like....yes I get that she doesn't need to be royalty to be one...but it kinda makes sense. It's like saying Wendy should've been one too. Like...it makes no sense to me that they chose Alice over Ariel.
The general theory as to why Alice was picked over Ariel is because Ariel was still limited to the sea as a mermaid. She didnt become human until KH2.

Perkilator

Awards
Did I mention earlier in this thread that Mother Gothel's using the flower to keep herself alive for hundreds of years should've been addressed?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I completely forgot about this, and yeah, that's actually really bad, lol. Does anyone remember Re: Coded's secret ending, where Mickey bassically deduced where Ven's heart was (which "just leaves Terra", according to Yen Sid in that very scene)? That was supposedly because Mickey finally saw Roxas for the first time and picked up on his physical similarities to Ventus (with them bassically being identical and all), as well as Data Namine mentioning how both Ventus and Sora shared "a very special connection." Both of these things would've been what clued Mickey into the fate of Ventus' heart, hence why he's so sure of where it is by the end of that game. And we know that Mickey recorded down *specifically this information* in his letter to Sora Riku and Kairi, and the scene of them reading it was shown and extended no less than three times across the series. So what gives? Did Mickey not include anything about his conclusions surrounding the potential whereabouts of Ventus' heart in his (surprisingly detailed) letter despite Namine explicitly telling him to do so? Did Riku not put two and two together after reading this and seeing Ventus, Roxas, and Xion in Sora's heart at the end of DDD? Or are we assuming no one told him Ventus looked just like Roxas? Though we are talking about Mickey, so who really knows what he decided to leave out. Either way, Mickey and Yen Sid still should've known at the very least by the time KH3 started, so why was it Vanitas and Ienzo of ALL people that had to "reveal" this information to the protagonist when it's finally time to rescue them? And even then it affects nothing since Sora refused to inform Aqua at the moment of truth (and Ventus would've revealed himself anyway, though it was pretty obvious after all Sora's involuntary outburst about saving someone he admitted to not even remembering), and I still don't fully understand what was going on with Roxas since all of that happened off screen.

Also, I'm kinda dissapointed about what they did with the build up regarding Ansem's data from DDD. I thought, based on his words to Aqua in Blank Points, it would've been used to help restore those hearts within him, not just reaffirm something we already know. In reality, the pre existing data saved of Roxas on the digital Twilight Town (data that we didn't even know existed up until it was brought up) did more for the actual process of restoring Sora's Nobody than the data from DDD did.

KH3: Ansem's data who?

But really, KH3 just ruins all of the careful story building Nomura had made over the years. I know it is because he was just absolutely bored with his own story and eager to introduce new content, but a writer can't create all of this buildup and then just suddenly drop all of it with rushed conclusions.

There are so many of these moments in the series where we get this really good lead-up to something and then KH3 just ignores it for its own nonsense.

Definitely the build up to Sora finding out about having Ven's heart was absolutely wasted. It should have been a better moment, something more personal. It would have made more sense for Riku to be the one to guide Sora to this conclusion since it was originally Riku that guided Sora to even connect to Ven when he was dying again in BBS.

Mickey and Riku should have come to this conclusion. It should have been meaningful, and Sora meeting Ven for the first time in person should have also been a big moment.

Roxas...lol I'll never not be upset about Roxas. KH3 likes to pontificate on how Sora really wants to find and save Roxas, but it doesn't matter. It's resolved off-screen by characters we don't even give two shits about. Sora has absolutely no role in bringing Roxas back besides being in the right place at the right time. Roxas' heart just shoots out. Why was that even possible when it was such a big deal to free Ven's heart? How did Xion's heart leave Sora's body so easily? WHEN?

Back