• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Famitsu interviews Nomura on Kingdom Hearts 3 Re:Mind DLC

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Update 6/22/2019: Famitsu has released the full interview on their website.

The latest issue of Famitsu Weekly features an interview with Director Tetsuya Nomura, where he discusses Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Kingdom Hearts 3's upcoming Re:Mind DLC. He explains the meaning behind the name "Re:Mind", playable characters, boss battles and release window.

―KINGDOM HEARTS III Re:MIND, which was announced prior to SQUARE ENIX LIVE E3 2019, received great responses. What is the meaning behind this title?

Nomura: I often receive notifications from the PR staff that say "reminder". It means "reconfirm", but it also means I am being reminded to respond to them (laughs). The meaning of what I just mentioned and the double-meaning are the same. It means "remind", "reconfirmation", "reclaim the heart*", and so forth.

(*Note: 心 means "heart" and also "mind", and 再生 can mean "regeneration", so 心の再生 can also mean "regeneration" or "rebirth" of the "mind". Also, "Reclaim Your Heart" is a phrase used on the back of the box for Verum Rex in Toy Box)

―In the logo, between "Re" and "MIND" there is an unfamiliar mark.

Nomura: I think the meaning changes whether you connect or disconnect between them. In the past I have often used "Re", but I wanted to cut the background with a more meaningful symbol, and when I decided to convey something with one symbol, I thought that the musical symbols "vide*" and "coda*" were appropriate. Based on those meanings, I hope you all will think about it in various ways.  

(Note: "vide" denotes a skipped part of a musical piece, and "coda" is a concluding musical section that is distinct from the main piece. A coda is typically represented as a circle with two intersecting lines. It also means “something that serves to round out, conclude, or summarize”)

—Riku, Aqua and Roxas being playable was a nice surprise. Are those scenes from the "Limit Cut [Episode]" where you can fight against the most powerful enemies?

Nomura: Actually, they're not. This video mainly consists of elements included in the additional scenario, rather than Limit Cut itself. Sora's Oathkeeper Keyblade and the new form shown at the end of the video are free DLC and will be simultaneously released with the paid DLC. 

—Oh, so the additional scenario is where they're playable? 

Nomura: Similar to how you'd play as Riku and Aqua in the main story, there will be stages in the additional scenario where you can select which character you'd like to use.

—They seem to resemble battles that took place near the end of the main story...

Nomura: Yes, they certainly do (laughs). The additional scenarios are independent, so you will be able to enjoy this content after clearing the main story.

—Then the scenes with the Master of Masters and Young Xehanort, as well as that of Luxord and Xigbar, must also be from the additional scenario.

Nomura: That's right. The conversation between Luxord and Xigbar will take place at the beginning of the additional scenario. We're referring to it as an "additional scenario" because there are quite a lot of cutscenes. The scenario was rewritten twice and it grew substantially by the final draft. The sheer volume exceeded our expectations.

—By the way, about Demyx...

Nomura: Well, he's coming (wry smile).

—That's a relief (laughs). I'm very glad we're getting Limit Cut.

Nomura: I can't disclose much about the Limit Cut bosses, but we're aiming for the same number as last time (KH2 Final Mix).

—Wow, that many!?

Nomura: Definitely more than expected. Besides the additional scenario and Limit Cut Episode with bosses, the Secret Episode has a boss as well, so the volume of DLC should be sufficient.

—The release is slated for this winter, but will it be by the end of this year or during the next?

Nomura: I can't say for sure since we need to resubmit it to CERO for rating, but I'd like to release it as soon as possible to avoid FF7 Remake.

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on FacebookTwitter, and Tumblr for the latest updates on Kingdom Hearts Union X[cross], Kingdom Hearts III, and all things related to Kingdom Hearts

Last edited by a moderator:

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Wow, Thirteen bosses for the limit cut episode is quite a lot. I'm hoping at least one or two of those are Disney bosses

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
(Should make note that Nomura was rambling in the first answer and was avoiding settling on an answer. Also “rebirth” was the phrase I went cuz it is more in line with the verbiage of the series but it can also mean “reconstruct” or “reclaim” the heart)

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
nomura please answer your emails lol

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
(Should make note that Nomura was rambling in the first answer and was avoiding settling on an answer. Also “rebirth” was the phrase I went cuz it is more in line with the verbiage of the series but it can also mean “reconstruct” or “reclaim” the heart)
This avoidance just has me believing it is meant to be pronounced "recode a mind" even more. lol

the red monster

Awards
So we getting to use riku/aqua/roxas for only this one data fight? that's pretty lame, if understand it correctly

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
So we getting to use riku/aqua/roxas for only this one data fight? that's pretty lame, if understand it correctly
It sounds like using them is for the additional story elements and not the Limit Cut (where the hard bosses are).

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

We don't really know the extents of the additional scenario. Last night's early leak suggested they'd be separate from the main story and accessible after completing the game, but those details are completely absent in the printed interview. It's possible Famitsu only published part of it and will release an extended version at a later date though.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
We don't really know the extents of the additional scenario. Last night's early leak suggested they'd be separate from the main story and accessible after completing the game, but those details are completely absent in the printed interview. It's possible Famitsu only published part of it and will release an extended version at a later date though.
Having those bosses accessible after completing the main story would explain why Sora wasn't present for the Saix boss. That was always a giant contradiction, lol

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Huh I wonder if them explicitly saying 13 bosses is them telling us that we'll be getting single data battles against all the Org Members again and one enemy to set up the next game.

drew0512

Awards
Nomura's words give me hope for Foretellers battles. but even if we don't get them, 13+ bosses are pretty cool.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Huh I wonder if them explicitly saying 13 bosses is them telling us that we'll be getting single data battles against all the Org Members again and one enemy to set up the next game.

I just hope they remember that the Foreteller Keyblades were included in that limited edition artbook so there's gonna be a lot of shit to deal with if there are no battles against them.

Yack23

Is this the whole interview or just part of it? I read from a leak that Nomura mentioned playable characters after finishing the main story. I'm hoping we get to play as other characters too(Not just the 3 most popular ones).

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Is this the whole interview or just part of it? I read from a leak that Nomura mentioned playable characters after finishing the main story. I'm hoping we get to play as other characters too(Not just the 3 most popular ones).
This is everything that Famitsu published in the magazine. It’s unknown if there’s currently more scheduled to be published online.

Back