• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What got you into the Kingdom hearts Games

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Odwen

Awards
Website
www.twitch.tv
At first i didn't like Kingdom hearts. But my Ex GF got me into the game on ps2. Before she die she told me keep playing it. So I did when more kh games came out i keep playing and playing. Then i realize i love kingdom hearts now. and i Know she was watching me playing each of them.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
At first i didn't like Kingdom hearts. But my Ex GF got me into the game on ps2. Before she die she told me keep playing it. So I did when more kh games came out i keep playing and playing. Then i realize i love kingdom hearts now. and i Know she was watching me playing each of them.

I'm sorry for your loss...

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
The combo of Utada's music and shots of all the various Disney characters (particularly Ursula, Hades, and Maleficent) in the commercials for KH1. What made me a forever fan is how great KH1 was and still is, how seriously the Disney characters / worlds were treated within the narrative, and how interesting a character Riku was.

I actually hadn't played a Final Fantasy game before KH. KH was my gateway into FF.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Me, it was half my brothers (tho I didn't actually PLAY the games until later, until I got this PC 5-6 years ago and could use PCSX2 to play 'em after I'd ripped KH1 and KH2 myself. Believe me when I say I hate downloading any games from PS1 on up b/c of the file size. We got a huge PS2 game collection anyway, so I prefer to rip any *.isos myself.) and half the fact when I heard Uteda's music, I loved it a lot.

I'd watched Shadowneko (Well, as most of you know, I just call that brother of mine that online; it is after a FFXI chara he had) play KH and was curious/interested, but it wasn't until I could find a way to play PS2 games on my own that I actually played them. Then I got my paws on a PS3..and KH1.5 + KH 2.5..and the rest is history. The music didn't hurt either. Neither did the fact that I grew up on Disney, you should see our movie collection, tho we need to get some of the newer ones once things get better.

Since I've been on RPGamer for a long time, I did even see the Final Mix secret ending early for KH1 (fansubbed) which also piqued my interest. That's proly part of it too. ^_^ I just..wasn't a aggressive girl about "Hey boys, could you let me have a few hours at the PS2?" back when the games were new. (My middle brother in paticular has a nasty temper around video games, so I really don't like poking that tiger.) But I'm not sorry now that I can own my own copies!

HK Motendra

Awards
I was young in back then, who mistakenly took Sora for Roy out of Smash Bros Melee (don't ask me how). Since then, its always been my #1 series and was a gateway into FF as a whole

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Back around 2002, I was at a friend's place and I saw he was at Destiny Islands. I never got to play, but even back then, I was interested in it. I asked some of my classmates if they played, but they thought it was dumb because of it being Disney. I never lost interest though. Once I saw the TV commercials, I was sold for life.

It wasn't until Chain of Memories came out for the GBA that I REALLY started diving in though. I remember playing that game on my PC via an emulator. 2006, I remember everyone being excited over KH2, and I remember seeing how shiny the box art looked on the shelf. I couldn't buy it at the time though, because our family didn't have the financial means. I didn't have a PS2 for the longest time. Later that year, I moved, and then 2007 I finally bought KH1. Bought KH2 right after that, and I've been up to date with the series since.

KH is my favorite franchise. Might not be the best written, or the easiest to understand, but there's a lot of charm to it that I really appreciate. Cheesiness too, but it's cheesiness that works. Some may call it a dumpster fire of a series, but I think it's a beautiful dumpster fire lmao. I became a FF fan around 2002-2004 as well, so I'm a huge fan and only made my appreciation for KH deepen. After playing my first FF (which was VIII) and then seeing Squall in KH1, that blew my mind. Still kinda does, in some ways.

Happyfunshineman

Awards
My family took a trip to Disney World in 2002. I remember playing KH1 at a kiosk there. During the time I was really wanted to play a video game focused around sword based combat. I had Zelda MM but my parents hated it. They also hated watching me playing KH at Disney World because it looked like a game about kids beating each other up with toy weapons on the beach.

I didn’t have a ps2 until KH2 came out though. It was when KH2 came out that my brother and I saved up money and finally bought a ps2 and I also bought KH1 and 2.

Perkilator

Awards
Mostly the Disney side of things. The added depth in KH3 made me enthralled, and I can only hope that SE keeps this up.

Odwen

Awards
Website
www.twitch.tv
So many people get into the game in different ways i am glad will i going live tomorrow on my twitch/royonss on kh 3 patch 1.5 starting in beginner all way to hardest so we can see different

LostArtist

Awards
Memory is kinda hazy that far back. Ps2 was my first exposure to console (non handheld) gaming. So Kh was one of the first games I saw in full 3d on a tv screen (along with other stuff like sly cooper etc). Don't want to go into too much detail 😅 but Destiny Islands definitely was my first hook, just seeing you being able to swim jump and play around. Also Deep Jungle was such a hook, I was like woah you can do anything, it's a whole expansive world! (honestly I can't remember which other worlds I saw, I think I also got to see traverse town, but my memory is hella hazy from those days). I got to play around with the game on the island a little, and even got to do the final boss in another save file for a bit (I never made it past the ansem 2 fight lol). From then on I was hooked. I remember occasionally seeing the commercials and being excited (I know that game! I've played it before! lol), some of my other classmates talked about it as well though it didn't really get popular until kh2 came around.

Didn't have my own ps2 then so I had to settle with com on the gba and watching some downloaded videos of the opening and ending of kh. But when kh2 came out, I bought a ps2 and played the game. Then a couple months later I went and bought kh greatest hits and played that one :).

Odwen

Awards
Website
www.twitch.tv
Memory is kinda hazy that far back. Ps2 was my first exposure to console (non handheld) gaming. So Kh was one of the first games I saw in full 3d on a tv screen (along with other stuff like sly cooper etc). Don't want to go into too much detail 😅 but Destiny Islands definitely was my first hook, just seeing you being able to swim jump and play around. Also Deep Jungle was such a hook, I was like woah you can do anything, it's a whole expansive world! (honestly I can't remember which other worlds I saw, I think I also got to see traverse town, but my memory is hella hazy from those days). I got to play around with the game on the island a little, and even got to do the final boss in another save file for a bit (I never made it past the ansem 2 fight lol). From then on I was hooked. I remember occasionally seeing the commercials and being excited (I know that game! I've played it before! lol), some of my other classmates talked about it as well though it didn't really get popular until kh2 came around.

Didn't have my own ps2 then so I had to settle with com on the gba and watching some downloaded videos of the opening and ending of kh. But when kh2 came out, I bought a ps2 and played the game. Then a couple months later I went and bought kh greatest hits and played that one :).
Yeah kh2 was really popultation

Amadeus

Awards
A kid in one of my elementary school classes once mentioned KH kind of offhandedly. Something like a year or two later, I saw the KH manga at the library and, recognizing the title, I picked it up and started reading. I read everything Tokyopop published, so KH1, COM, and the first 2 volumes of KH2. I loved Disney as a kid, and I had heard of FF, so I thought KH could be a gateway to FF. That didn't happen for a long time, but that's beside the point.

I think some time before I read the manga I saw 358/2 Days on the Nintendo website while I was browsing DS games and thought the box art was really beautiful. Didn't remember the name of the game or even realize Mickey was there, but Days eventually became my first KH game because I only had a DS at the time, and the rest is history.

Odwen

Awards
Website
www.twitch.tv
A kid in one of my elementary school classes once mentioned KH kind of offhandedly. Something like a year or two later, I saw the KH manga at the library and, recognizing the title, I picked it up and started reading. I read everything Tokyopop published, so KH1, COM, and the first 2 volumes of KH2. I loved Disney as a kid, and I had heard of FF, so I thought KH could be a gateway to FF. That didn't happen for a long time, but that's beside the point.

I think some time before I read the manga I saw 358/2 Days on the Nintendo website while I was browsing DS games and thought the box art was really beautiful. Didn't remember the name of the game or even realize Mickey was there, but Days eventually became my first KH game because I only had a DS at the time, and the rest is history.
That cool

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Utada Hikaru's theme song and the visuals + music of the Dive to the Heart tutorial were what hooked me, as well as some brief footage I saw of my older brother's friend playing around in the Cave of Wonder. I didn't really have enough information to grasp the deal with the giant key and the Disney stuff, and I don't think I really fully understood what FF was (although both KH1 and FFX would go on to become the definitive games of that era for me) but the way everything was framed and paced just exuded a certain entrancing, magical quality, borrowing from the best aesthetics of both of its composite aspects to mold something exquisitely unexpected. The commercials for the game hadn't really impressed me (though in retrospect they're cool and nostalgic), but seeing it in action I felt like it just got me: the part that appreciated the baroque mood and classic stylization of early/Renaissance Disney without finding much in the sugary, trite themes underlying the facade, and the part that wanted to see more weird and adventurous shit like Nightmare Before Christmas take over the world-- that movie was perfect for KH1, because I feel like creatively, they're cut from the same cloth. Designed for kids, highly merchandisable, yet qualified in its obvious marketability by this incessant pursuit of some purpose beyond that-- even just an intellectual one, a thought experiment. KH1 always seemed to ask the question, "What if...?"

Like, what if we made a Disney game for preteens, but the first ten to twenty minutes are constructed around an utterly abstract, reflexive dreamscape montage of increasingly dismal depths culminating in pure and unmitigated nightmare fuel.

What if we told a typical story pretty much everyone knows using some of the most globally recognizable animated IPs in existence, but then we also spun it into an existential Bildungsroman in which myth and magic are at center stage, and the ensemble has to orient itself around these esoteric spiritual edicts that are never fully explained to the audience, and that's just how it is: Ariel's princey bf be damned.

What if the story didn't even really have an ending, and people were left to wonder whether the game was meant to be happy or sad or stir something else in them entirely. And we just left all these 10 to 12 year olds to figure that out and draw their own conclusions.

Like, it's always pretty damn rare to find pop media that's capable of restructuring and extending its audience's concept of what a story is supposed to be doing for them; most Disney movies themselves are either overtly moralizing or function as clever (and not-so-clever) diversions that deliberately avoid offering complexities in premise or motif in order to ensure a simple and unconcerning resolution at the other end. Somehow, though, KH, at least for a time, felt salient in a way that it probably never had a right to: that first game in particular had a finger on the pulse of something that was shifting in youth culture, I think-- that idea that a broad, global appeal could maybe go both ways, and that people had really started to listen more to each other and were actively interested in voices outside of their immediate cultural ecosystem. I guess, for me, it bridged a gap and offered me something that felt at once familiar and comfortingly, thrillingly unknown. It seemed (and I think it still is) kind of genuinely iconic: not in a grandiose sense, but in the way it made itself unmistakable, maybe by tapping into that aging aspect of its target youth demographic; by taking us nerdy preteens seriously in our efforts to extricate ourselves from the safe formulaism of the Disney marketing cycle by pushing right up against it and doing...kind of whatever the heck it wanted. But tactfully.

I wish the franchise still felt this relevant. It's just too far down its own trope hole at this point, and it seems like there's a culture of media creation in general now (thx Marvel) that's approaching deliberateness in how slack, indulgent and dull it is. And KH, maybe because Nomura is too hyperaware of current trends, has kind of gotten gobbled up in that mentality: fixate people on the least interesting aspects of what gets a movie/video game made ($$$, franchise potential) and ignore the fact of the matter which is that these concepts are dramatically nonsensical recirculations of the same limp, discourse deadening anti-thesis statements dressed up with a skin-deep idea of diversity (or not) of whatever sort is presently palatable to a public that has to, for reason of maximizing the return on every investment, be whipped up into a mass fervor around these cultural touchstones every six months or so, like clockwork. The concern is always squarely targeted on breaking the next corporate induced, records-centered ceiling: not breaking ground on a narrative or thematic or even, increasingly, technological basis. Maybe KH isn't that far gone, yet (KH3 being the first actually contemporary release of the series in a decade or more, really) but it's got that fragile feeling to it, like if someone were to actually point at the central conceit and say, "What is this still doing here," it would collapse into a rubble pile of Funko Pops and halfway fulfilled Star Wars homages.

Obiewantsanipod

My younger brother bought a fake $2.7 KHII CD for the ps2 and got bored of the Roxas segment because he thought the whole game was like that. Then I tried it and fell in love when I got to the dual wielding Roxas vs. Axel segment.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I saw the ads for it and wanted it, but I didn't have a PS2. So I had to settle with playing Chain of Memories (I was addicted to that game). Eventually I found a friend with a PS2 and KH1, and they lent it to me. From CoM I knew I would love the game, but KH1 just blew me out of the water with the intro video alone. After that I was hooked.

Back