• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KINGDOM HEARTS 3 remains best-selling game of 2019, best-selling game of franchise

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

KINGDOM HEARTS III continues to hold its spot as the best-selling game of 2019 across all consoles for a third consecutive month as reported by the NPD Group's March 2019 report via analyst Mat Piscatella. Alongside the news of it maintaining its hold as the best-selling game of 2019, KINGDOM HEARTS III has taken over as the best-selling game of the entire franchise with its current sales numbers topping the lifetime sales of KINGDOM HEARTS which released back in 2002.

Last month, it was reported that KINGDOM HEARTS III had become the second biggest launch in Square Enix history as well as the fastest-selling game of KINGDOM HEARTS franchise history. 

Later on today, KINGDOM HEARTS III will be receiving a free update that adds the long-awaited Critical Mode to offer a new experience for fans seeking a challenge. The update will also include various quality of life updates to improve the experience of playing KINGDOM HEARTS III including item carry over for a new game file, an additional 100 photo slots so players can take up to 200 photos in photo mode, checkmarks on already synthesized items in the Moogle Shop, and more.

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on The World Ends With YouKingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross]Kingdom Hearts III and all things Kingdom Hearts

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Congratulations to the Kingdom Hearts team! That's wonderful news! I'm happy to see it seeing a lot of success, even though we all went into the game with different expectations.

drew0512

Awards
This makes me so happy. I knew KH3 would sell well, but not so well.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
Expected sales to be strong. Though most aren't too fond with how the game actually went despite expectations, I'm glad it's staying at the top. Just waiting for the update and futures DLCs/updates that'll hopefully raise everyone's mood.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Full congratulations to Nomura and his team. Wonder how many more copies it will sell by the end of 2019?

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
I'm actually pretty impressed it has so much staying power given the criticism, but then again this is the finale of a multi-year long saga (up to standard or not). Kudos to the team for their success! Hope life treats them better on their next project whatever it is.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I'm so happy for this beautiful dumpster fire of a franchise! Big congratulations to Nomura and team!
tenor.gif

allenleonardo

Awards
I'm actually pretty impressed it has so much staying power given the criticism, but then again this is the finale of a multi-year long saga (up to standard or not). Kudos to the team for their success! Hope life treats them better on their next project whatever it is.

Or maybe those that had big problems with the game are not the majority (not saying that criticism is not fair or something) and simply most people just enjoyed it.

In the end such a success should hopefully give us many more KH games and maybe even a lot faster. (y)

Odwen

Awards
Website
www.twitch.tv
Or maybe those that had big problems with the game are not the majority (not saying that criticism is not fair or something) and simply most people just enjoyed it.

In the end such a success should hopefully give us many more KH games and maybe even a lot faster. (y)
I love kingdom hearts i will always be Fan of it

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
We've reported on KH3 being the best selling game of 2019 YTD for 3 straight months now and people still continue to feel the need to "correct" us and say that it's not the best-selling game of 2019 overall (nobody said it was) and that it'll drop in ranks as more months pass. To which I say, duh. Anyone with eyes can see that. But why make up excuses instead of simply praising the team for their efforts and success? I don't understand that.

Pretty much this. It's easy to forget about in our bubbles but those of us who are actively voicing opinions online do not represent the majority.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I think anybody with a brain knew KH3 was going to sell well. That's why there's no need to be insecure about criticisms, because the franchise is not going away.

I don't expect this to change the time between entires though. Remember that KH1 and KH2 were both very successful, too.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I think anybody with a brain knew KH3 was going to sell well. That's why there's no need to be insecure about criticisms, because the franchise is not going away.

I don't expect this to change the time between entires though. Remember that KH1 and KH2 were both very successful, too.

It’s not so much being insecure but tired? It’s the same negative narrative in a sea of negativity. It gets draining when every positive is given a “but” to follow to kill the joy.

Well, KH1 came out in a period where all of the Squaresoft staff didn’t even think they’d be able to make a second one with the looming merger with Enix. After all of the reshuffling following the merger, they did get CoM our relatively fast, and KH2 after it was rushed through production.

And we did get a new entry consecutively for a good while there.

I don’t think we’ll be waiting too long for the next KH game unless the development team decides to work on a passion project while Nomura is busy on 7.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
I never said the majority didn't enjoy the game, if nothing else the very existence of this thread already would've made that pretty obvious to me, lol. I didn't even expect the game to do bad, nor did I in any way think it was performing poorly sales wise. It simply exceeded my personal expectations (regardless of how high or low they were) of specifically just how long it would stay at the top of the charts, and even then I'm not that surprised. Idk, I guess I just don't see what the purpose of your reply was because the facts and the numbers already made things pretty clear. In any case, kh3 was a success, and I'm happy the team get's to enjoy that after the rocky development.

Last edited:

SomeKHFan

Awards
If it's now the best selling game in the Franchise this might mean it's sold more than the 5.6 million copies the first game sold (admittedly that is old information from 2006). It might even be over 6 million.

I'm actually curious how close KH is towards joining the game franchises that had made a billion dollars US in gross revenue.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
If it's now the best selling game in the Franchise this might mean it's sold more than the 5.6 million copies the first game sold (admittedly that is old information from 2006). It might even be over 6 million.

I'm actually curious how close KH is towards joining the game franchises that had made a billion dollars US in gross revenue.

Yep, KH3 has sold over 6 million now. The last reported number for KH1 was 6.3 million.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
do you guys think it going win game of year i hope so
Ah, it really depends on what games come out this year. Probably it, but it would be incredible if it did. People have too many criticisms, and if any game in 2019 comes out with a much stronger story, it's a wrap.

Persona 5 Royal MAY be a contender, even though it comes out in the West next year, but I don't remember if these awards count for the Japanese release or if it has to be out in the West. But point the is, it depends on what other great games come out this year.

If Square Enix manages to announce the FFVII Remake for 2019, it won't even come close to winning, just going off what's riding on it. It'd have to be THE game of the year undoubtedly otherwise it'll be a meltdown on the internet.

Back