• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Critical Mode Experience Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

NoWay

Awards
Hey guys,

I thought we needed a thread where everyone can post their impressions and opinions while playing the new mighty critical mode.

I wanted to test it like 5 minutes before going to sleep again (it’s still in the night in Europe) and I have died like 5 times against the Darkside and wasn’t able to beat him. Like wow, Square is going all out.

What do you think? Share your opinions and experiences! :)

Odwen

Awards
Website
www.twitch.tv
Hey guys,

I thought we needed a thread where everyone can post their impressions and opinions while playing the new mighty critical mode.

I wanted to test it like 5 minutes before going to sleep again (it’s still in the night in Europe) and I have died like 5 times against the Darkside and wasn’t able to beat him. Like wow, Square is going all out.

What do you think? Share your opinions and experiences! :)
what you need do is master all his move and doged it took me 5 time and one of my friend and he really good at gaming. they don't mess around. so far i like it it made take me a while beat it in cirtial mode

Meow Wow

Awards
I'm getting bodied by mobs of flamecors. Me playing with a migraine may have also impacted my ability to play. I'll have to see about it more when I'm feeling 100%

For now, I stopped at the timed event with Hercules holding up the building, having died several times on that event alone. Everything else has been a challenge but I'm figuring out the strategies eventually.

Odwen

Awards
Website
www.twitch.tv
I'm getting bodied by mobs of flamecors. Me playing with a migraine may have also impacted my ability to play. I'll have to see about it more when I'm feeling 100%

For now, I stopped at the timed event with Hercules holding up the building, having died several times on that event alone. Everything else has been a challenge but I'm figuring out the strategies eventually.
i got all keyblades so hercu wasn't bad i just afaird to fight titan holy crap that going be hard

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Level 1 is ok so far (Thebes, just fought that big armor guy). Wack/faulty hitboxes kinda show hard with 1 hit kill attacks. My block whiffs in situations where it just shouldn't. Ultima absolutely annihilated the fight in that burning building lmao.

Odwen

Awards
Website
www.twitch.tv
Level 1 is ok so far (Thebes, just fought that big armor guy). Wack/faulty hitboxes kinda show hard with 1 hit kill attacks. My block whiffs in situations where it just shouldn't. Ultima absolutely annihilated the fight in that burning building lmao.
will once you get keyblade form unlock it get easyer tomorrow ill be facing free titans

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
will once you get keyblade form unlock it get easyer tomorrow ill be facing free titans

I don't see how keyblade transformations (which are already unlocked at this point?) would change bad hitboxes.

Odwen

Awards
Website
www.twitch.tv
I don't see how keyblade transformations (which are already unlocked at this point?) would change bad hitboxes.
all my keyblade are unlock even ultima. and you just have to r1 most of target. only thing that kinda piss me off is that dam duck need to start healing me lol

kaseykockroach

Awards
Dying several times to each and every single enemy encounter and I am terrified to face Rock Titan.

I kind of love it. It’s kind of fun being constantly on edge like this and having to really pay full attention in a way I haven’t felt with a KH experience in a very long time.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
That whole experience with the Nobodies was harder for me than the Demon Tide you fight immediately after. Goodness gracious.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I tried playing last night when I came home from work and oh boy the Darkside caught me off guard. I’ll try it out on Friday when I don’t have 12 hour workdays haha

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Good thing the bulls-fight on Olympus is still the biggest garbage, forcing you to either block or run in circles until Trinity Guard shows up.

Otherwise it worries me a bit that in huge areas, dying brings you all the way back to the entrance. I'm already scared of Arendelle.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I honestly have no interest in playing critical mode because games that are too difficult just frustrate me.

With that being said, for those who are experiencing the critical mode, do you think the challenge is fair or too situational?

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I played up until completing the Twilight Town visit.

Things I'm a fan of:
- Ultima needs to be leveled up again, so you can live your power fantasy while still having a satisfying experience
- The "no attractions and situational commands come up slower" skill

Thing I'm not a fan of:
- Sora's MP, it seems they're taking the 0.2 route of limiting your magic instead of adjusting the scale

Things that I don't feel are Critical's "fault" but definitely becomes more evident with it:
- How just utterly bad the Titans fights are, all the more so now that they can twoshot you by just turning their heads
- Nobodies without reaction commands
- The overall design philoshophy of having too many enemies on screen, leading to semi-inevitable deaths caused by things sniping you offscreen
- Demon Tower and Wave

Hirokey123

Awards
Darkside Death Count: 0
First Fire Core fight Death Count: 2
Rock Golem Death Count 1: 1
Various Scripted Water Core fight Death Count: fhasdjkfl!!!!!
Optional but scripted Earth Core + Earth Tower fight by Zeus's Statue Death Count: 7
Rock Titan Death Count: 0 aka still a joke of a fight, sorry Rock titan you will never be hard in this series.
Bull Fight Death Count: 3
Ice and Fire Titan Death Count: 0 (came close but only because I never knew lava titan had i-frame attacks otherwise it was a good challenge)
Tornado Titan Death Count: 4
Nobody Swarm Death Count: 1
Demon Tornado Death Count: 1

I've died a least 20+ times, mostly to water cores who are back to being horrors from the deep, and that's crazy to me because I did level 1 runs and died nowhere near as many times. The enemy A.I. is absolutely more aggressive and some of their reworkings like the optional earth core fight are nuts of course that's partly due to it coming in a time where you are still missing some critical gameplay elements. But it's been a fun time and it's been a long time since I've felt this challenged by a KH game. The only time deaths felt unfair was when Sora decided to cancel what he was doing and auto-jump on rocks in the river leaving me wide open, everything else was very manageable and there is DEFINITELY a much higher focus on defensive and skill play as opposed to the sugar rush bash that was the original.

Happyfunshineman

Awards
Didn’t have much time to play last night but had a good time. I love the new guard abilities. I did a perfect guard on the Darkside fight and was like “what was that!” Figured I would do a regular play though then level 1 to see what’s changed. I decided not to carry over my Keyblades.

Anyways, thanks to the team for the cool update.

Good thing the bulls-fight on Olympus is still the biggest garbage, forcing you to either block or run in circles until Trinity Guard shows up.

Otherwise it worries me a bit that in huge areas, dying brings you all the way back to the entrance. I'm already scared of Arendelle.

You won’t always get sent to the beginning. I did 2 level 1 proud playthoughs and learned that there’s actually a good number scripted fights that you’ll be able to retry. You definitely need to be careful if you’re going to do some exploring off the critical path though.

all my keyblade are unlock even ultima. and you just have to r1 most of target. only thing that kinda piss me off is that dam duck need to start healing me lol

If you go into the customization menu you can make Donald into a really decent healer. Have him set to only heal Sora, heal in all situations, and stay away from fights. I did that on my second level 1 proud playthough and it literally changed the whole experience.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I played up until completing the Twilight Town visit.

Things I'm a fan of:
- Ultima needs to be leveled up again, so you can live your power fantasy while still having a satisfying experience
- The "no attractions and situational commands come up slower" skill

Thing I'm not a fan of:
- Sora's MP, it seems they're taking the 0.2 route of limiting your magic instead of adjusting the scale

Things that I don't feel are Critical's "fault" but definitely becomes more evident with it:
- How just utterly bad the Titans fights are, all the more so now that they can twoshot you by just turning their heads
- Nobodies without reaction commands
- The overall design philoshophy of having too many enemies on screen, leading to semi-inevitable deaths caused by things sniping you offscreen
- Demon Tower and Wave

Have to agree with all of this.

kaseykockroach

Awards
Proud mode gave me trouble until I got Cure, then I never struggled again.
I imagine it’ll be the same here, just more....intense.

Back