• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

So go to KH3 no hint of Sokai?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

SuperNova

Awards
I for one don’t buy the romance at all. Even if this is what Nomura had planned for Kairi forcing her into the “love interest” category is far worse than having her not doing anything at all. That literally solidifies her as nothing more than Sora’s motivation as Xehanort so directly put it in KH3. I found the moments where Sora was thinking about her, and getting flustered when she was mentioned in 2 to be quite cute. But in this game, to me it feels more like Sora now realizes what it means to sacrifice yourself for someone you love. I didn’t really take any sort of romantic note from Kairi and Sora being together. But that’s just me.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I know a lot of people doubt Nomura, but I feel like his plans post-KH3 will heavily revolve around Sora/Kairi's relationship. Sora's statement about how his journey began the day Kairi left did not seem random at all. Especially because that statement comes at the end of the game, I feel like Nomura wanted to hold off on anything Kairi related until he decides what to do with her (whether she is Ava or somehow connected to the foretellers).

He shouldn't have to decide what he wants to do with Kairi. He should have already made his mind up about her.

I just assumed that Sora hand holding and crying for Riku was just because he was his best friend, but Kairi is a girl. So I thought the context immediately changed for her.

What does that even mean? Because she's a girl he can't cry over her? What does her gender matter when Sora's cried over way less?

Whenever he is teased about Kairi in a romantic context, he blushes or gets flustered.

Yeah, in KH2 which was released over 12 years ago. He hasn't done that since KH2. Again, he doesn't think about her at all until the paopu scene, and he wasn't even focused on Kairi until she took it upon herself to grab his attention.

He may not have actively admitted these feelings to himself UNTIL he sees Kairi die in front of him.

But he doesn't? At no point does he address his feelings for Kairi.

Maybe he was avoiding Kairi for this journey because he was trying to focus on ending the chaos?

But why would he need to do that? That makes no diddlying sense. If Sora was so focused, he wouldn't have spent any time goofing off with Donald and Goofy, either.

They're not falling in love with each other - Kairi already loves Sora and Sora realizes his feelings when Kairi dies. The romance story can officially start after KH3. I don't see why it's so hard to buy that.

When? Show me when he realizes his feelings.

And if the next KH games are going to focus on the romance between Sora and Kairi, why split them apart? Why send Sora off into another worldline?

I know I have no proof to say that it won't focus on them, but there is hell of a lot less proof to believe that these games will deliver on Sora and Kairi's relationship.

I for one don’t buy the romance at all. Even if this is what Nomura had planned for Kairi forcing her into the “love interest” category is far worse than having her not doing anything at all. That literally solidifies her as nothing more than Sora’s motivation as Xehanort so directly put it in KH3. I found the moments where Sora was thinking about her, and getting flustered when she was mentioned in 2 to be quite cute. But in this game, to me it feels more like Sora now realizes what it means to sacrifice yourself for someone you love. I didn’t really take any sort of romantic note from Kairi and Sora being together. But that’s just me.

Yeah, and he sacrifices himself for everybody--not just Kairi. He literally uses all that he is to bring everybody back from the dead, which is why YX is all like "it's too late for you" because his heart was already falling into the abyss. It was just a matter of time until he disappeared for good, so he chose to use what time he had left to save Kairi. That isn't romantic or romantic-coded at all. He would have literally done the same for any of his friends had they been taken by MX and killed.

What I took from KH3 is that Sora values his friends above himself, and that unconditional love for them all is Sora's undoing and also his greatest strength. Now that he has died for them and fallen into the abyss, the next project is about Sora learning how to love himself and that he is strong without his friends. Perhaps even learn that sometimes you can't save everybody, and that some sacrifices cannot be made.

Last edited:

allenleonardo

Awards
I know a lot of people doubt Nomura, but I feel like his plans post-KH3 will heavily revolve around Sora/Kairi's relationship. Sora's statement about how his journey began the day Kairi left did not seem random at all. Especially because that statement comes at the end of the game, I feel like Nomura wanted to hold off on anything Kairi related until he decides what to do with her (whether she is Ava or somehow connected to the foretellers).

I just assumed that Sora hand holding and crying for Riku was just because he was his best friend, but Kairi is a girl. So I thought the context immediately changed for her. Whenever he is teased about Kairi in a romantic context, he blushes or gets flustered. He may not have actively admitted these feelings to himself UNTIL he sees Kairi die in front of him. Maybe he was avoiding Kairi for this journey because he was trying to focus on ending the chaos?

They're not falling in love with each other - Kairi already loves Sora and Sora realizes his feelings when Kairi dies. The romance story can officially start after KH3. I don't see why it's so hard to buy that.

It would be bad writing imo if he takes their relationship on a next level after KH3. Because he should have used KH3 to show it more. Yet the opposite happens. Sora does not think about her once on his journey! That is the same guy that thought about her in KH2 in romantic scenes, yet in this game even with lovers around him, he never mentions her, the rest also never teases him about it. Heck even his reaction at the end of KH2 was already off.

Then you have the Paopu scene which was feeling off too. He finally has time alone with her, yet he is seemingly sad that Riku is not with them..I mean fine mention it at the beginning but if you want to make it a believable romantic scene then Sora should have been way more happy about the fruits and not just stare at it until Kairi says that its just so that she can be part of his life "thats all". This could have been the perfect scene to make the pairing canon but if we can believe the VAs (and I doubt that they would tell lies) then Nomura did not want this scene to be romantic at all.

I am also not seeing how he realized his feelings when she died. He had a perfect chance to realize it when he visited those disney worlds and saw different kind of couples but he never does. He recalls some of those scenes later but they also had Anna and Elsa in this, thus it was not really all about romantic love. He may have just realized that you can do everything if you care deeply for someone but that does not mean in the lover kind of way. He broke down and cried when she died, but that is completely in character for him. I would even say that he would react the same if it had been Riku, Donald or Goofy. And of course its also his character to try to save her. That again does not mean romance. He is a selfless guy that would do a lot to save the people he cares for and he even endangers himself to help out strangers. It would be OOC to not try to save her. His last words also just showed that he wished to share more days with her, something that you kinda want to do with people you care about.

In the end Nomura had quite a lot of games after KH2 to show them as believable couple. Yet Kairi was barely in them, and even in this game the romance seemingly just comes from Kairi. (Lets not forget that Sora has no problems showing his emotions when he found Riku again, had no problem going towards Namine in CoM and be the one to take her hands and yet when he should be even more mature and should know even more about love he suddenly does not think about her, mention her and gets not teasing at all about this)

What does that even mean? Because she's a girl he can't cry over her? What does her gender matter when Sora's cried over way less?

What I took from KH3 is that Sora values his friends above himself, and that unconditional love for them all is Sora's undoing and also his greatest strength. Now that he has died for them and fallen into the abyss, the next project is about Sora learning how to love himself and that he is strong without his friends. Perhaps even learn that sometimes you can't save everybody, and that some sacrifices cannot be made.

I agree I dont understand why he would not be emotional just because she is a girl? Sora never was someone that could hold back such emotions. Which is exactly why Donald and Goofy noticed his affection for her in Kh2 (which is one of the few games that show this). So why should he suddenly stop? I mean he had no problems talking with Kairi on the island, she had no problems with calling him a lazy bum. This never felt like a relationship where he was too afraid to be around her because of his feelings. It was only when he was teased that he was a bit flustered.

In the end he had no problems with falling on his knees and cry when he knew that Riku was save...and at least in our world it honestly feels more like its harder for guys to show their feelings for other guys, so I really dont understand this argument.

And I also hope that he starts learning to love himself more..because him being ready to die all the time for his friends is not healthy imo. Try to save them but be aware that you cant always do it. Maybe thats why I like the sleeping realm theory..because it hints that Sora was only trying to visit Kairi one last time which would go perfectly with the message that the pirate world gave him and would give him some development because he would accept that he cant save them all. (And it is a bit strange that the japanese version seemingly have him say that he will be back, which is different from our version because there he says that he and Kairi will be back)

Anyway for the sake of Kairi I hope that there is no future romance subplot. Let her be her own character and not someone that mostly has just Sora on her mind.

Last edited:

SuperNova

Awards
If anything I really really hope the next game gives these two some time on their own. Sora is probably gonna be the main protagonist of the next game alongside Riku, so let the boy heal and come to realize he doesn’t have to die for everyone he meets. Let Kairi feel the guilt of her inability to save Sora, give her the initiative to go to Aqua for training, or go off on her own for her own journey. Don’t bring her back until KH4 where she has more experience under her belt. Hell have Riku be the one to bring the three together this time instead of Sora! Something that would make Kairi believable and let Sora heal from his ordeals in 3!

balloon53

I have seen different translations regarding that interview and the translation I read seemed to have more evidence behind the translation I saw being more accurate. The scene where Sora and Kairi share the paopu has been built up over kh1 (Sora drawing the paopu and the ending) kh2 (credits scene with Sora seeing the completed drawing) and kh3 finally had them doing the drawing. In Japan there are certain things that seem taboo to do in public such as kissing. In the end it is actually sora who grabs Kairi's hand instead of leaving both their hands piled up.

allenleonardo

Awards
I have seen different translations regarding that interview and the translation I read seemed to have more evidence behind the translation I saw being more accurate. The scene where Sora and Kairi share the paopu has been built up over kh1 (Sora drawing the paopu and the ending) kh2 (credits scene with Sora seeing the completed drawing) and kh3 finally had them doing the drawing. In Japan there are certain things that seem taboo to do in public such as kissing. In the end it is actually sora who grabs Kairi's hand instead of leaving both their hands piled up.

Would be interesting what the different translations say. I know of one where Soras VA stated that sharing the fruit was not something you only do for romance and he also said that they had two scenes, one without the fruit and one with the fruit. He also stated that Nomura was uncertain how deep people would see their relationship with that scene. That for me is a big hint that it was not 100% meant to be romantic otherwise why even have two different scenes? Anyway I will wait for the translation on this forum to see how that is done.

Also if the paopu is purely romantic, does that mean that Riku and Sora are canon too? Since their combined keyblade has such a fruit at the end? (And their song is dearly beloved too)

I am not saying that this cant happen at all in future games but in a game where we see how other couples act, it would be really strange to have that as the only hint that they are now canon or romantically in love, especially since in the japanese version Kairi also only calls this a good luck charm for the coming battle and in the english version she says that its just so that they stay in each others life and thats all. Not something romantic imo.

Its also not that they would need to show them kissing to make them a couple. Words and other actions can do that too and before that fruit scene Sora has not thought about her once. In that scene itself he seems to not be in it until Kairi says that she just wants to stay in his life. In the ending we only have that short shot of them, where Sora moves his hand a bit, he does not grip her hands tightly and afterwards he disappears. This could of course be a romantic gesture (like any scene with any character could be read in a certain way if you want to) but it could also be Sora seeing her again for his last time and maybe wants to comfort her by taking her hand. Or maybe Kairi took his hand, he just stayed that way and then when he might have felt that he would disappear he moved.

So imo as long as they dont outright state their love for each other then they are not canon. (And its not like the game is completely fine with showing us love with other couples, why should they suddenly be against that with SoKai?)

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Even if Sokai is without a doubt canon, they’re still at a disadvantage because of all the shounen tropes. A majority of shounen media prioritizes friendships over romance and sometimes treats it as something more powerful.
The moment Kairi was reinforced as the love interest is the moment I lost all faith in anything being developed for her.

balloon53

Would be interesting what the different translations say. I know of one where Soras VA stated that sharing the fruit was not something you only do for romance and he also said that they had two scenes, one without the fruit and one with the fruit. He also stated that Nomura was uncertain how deep people would see their relationship with that scene. That for me is a big hint that it was not 100% meant to be romantic otherwise why even have two different scenes? Anyway I will wait for the translation on this forum to see how that is done.

Also if the paopu is purely romantic, does that mean that Riku and Sora are canon too? Since their combined keyblade has such a fruit at the end? (And their song is dearly beloved too)

I am not saying that this cant happen at all in future games but in a game where we see how other couples act, it would be really strange to have that as the only hint that they are now canon or romantically in love, especially since in the japanese version Kairi also only calls this a good luck charm for the coming battle and in the english version she says that its just so that they stay in each others life and thats all. Not something romantic imo.

Its also not that they would need to show them kissing to make them a couple. Words and other actions can do that too and before that fruit scene Sora has not thought about her once. In that scene itself he seems to not be in it until Kairi says that she just wants to stay in his life. In the ending we only have that short shot of them, where Sora moves his hand a bit, he does not grip her hands tightly and afterwards he disappears. This could of course be a romantic gesture (like any scene with any character could be read in a certain way if you want to) but it could also be Sora seeing her again for his last time and maybe wants to comfort her by taking her hand. Or maybe Kairi took his hand, he just stayed that way and then when he might have felt that he would disappear he moved.

So imo as long as they dont outright state their love for each other then they are not canon. (And its not like the game is completely fine with showing us love with other couples, why should they suddenly be against that with SoKai?)

I'm not saying that it is cannon I'm just giving evidence from the game. I'm also not saying that there is no evidence for soriku. There are different ways to interpret gestures I have made some gifs for the ending upon request and Sora does in fact pick up her hand. The other couples we see are also disney and does not share the same ways of expressing emotion as the Japanese culture. Also specifically one version of dearly beloved has Sora and Rikus themes in it and that is the one for dream drop distance. But I guess hikari could be a Sora and Kairi song because it plays during soras sacrifice and when Sora is reading Kairi's letter.

kaseykockroach

Awards
Sadly, there are no hints of Goofy x Aerith in KH3 either. But alas, somehow, I managed to get through the game anyway in spite of that.

Griewer

Awards

I just assumed that Sora hand holding and crying for Riku was just because he was his best friend, but Kairi is a girl. So I thought the context immediately changed for her. Whenever he is teased about Kairi in a romantic context, he blushes or gets flustered. He may not have actively admitted these feelings to himself UNTIL he sees Kairi die in front of him. Maybe he was avoiding Kairi for this journey because he was trying to focus on ending the chaos?

His plans post-KH3 will heavily revolve around Sora/Riku doing stuff in Shibuya as far as we can tell at the moment. No mention of Kairi at all. But I'm not sure it'd be wise of Nomura to turn her into a plot point cheeseain as Ava or Ava's reincarnation or anything like that because she was already kidnapped three times in three main titles for terrible plot reasons. We don't need history to repeat itself for a 4th time.

Sora held his hand and cried because he is his best friend. He also hugged him a couple of times in DDD because he is his best friend. And their hearts played the tune of "Dearly Beloved" because they are best friends. AND they create that special keyblade (and its chain features a papou fruit) together because they are best friends.
But of course he cries for Kairi when she's killed not because she is his precious friend, but because he loves her.

He was trying to focus on ending the chaos, unless he was thinking about how Riku would enjoy a city, or how Riku looks similar to Yozora (which is oddly funny because he also mentions that he, Sora, is not as good-looking as Yozora), or just wanted to call Riku to know what's up with him.

And it's not hard to buy that idea. It's just a terrible purchase that feels very cheap and very low quality. I don't think anyone would deny that Sokai is possible, because it is. And by default it is the most likely scenario but not because the hints and the buildup, but because there aren't many companies that'd dare make their protagonist anything but straight.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
He shouldn't have to decide what he wants to do with Kairi. He should have already made his mind up about her.

Yeah, in KH2 which was released over 12 years ago. He hasn't done that since KH2. Again, he doesn't think about her at all until the paopu scene, and he wasn't even focused on Kairi until she took it upon herself to grab his attention.

But he doesn't? At no point does he address his feelings for Kairi.

But why would he need to do that? That makes no diddlying sense. If Sora was so focused, he wouldn't have spent any time goofing off with Donald and Goofy, either.

When? Show me when he realizes his feelings.

And if the next KH games are going to focus on the romance between Sora and Kairi, why split them apart? Why send Sora off into another worldline?

I know I have no proof to say that it won't focus on them, but there is hell of a lot less proof to believe that these games will deliver on Sora and Kairi's relationship.

Yeah, and he sacrifices himself for everybody--not just Kairi. He literally uses all that he is to bring everybody back from the dead, which is why YX is all like "it's too late for you" because his heart was already falling into the abyss. It was just a matter of time until he disappeared for good, so he chose to use what time he had left to save Kairi. That isn't romantic or romantic-coded at all. He would have literally done the same for any of his friends had they been taken by MX and killed.

What I meant was that as Kairi's a girl - IE not a boy - Sora crying over her could imply something different than him crying over Riku. Riku is his best friend. Kairi is a GIRL that he likes - so potential romantic interest can be implied in his crying for her.

Yes, 13 years ago is when we last really saw Sora being teased about/addressing his romantic interests towards Kairi. But in-game time, it's been like 3 months?

You don't think it's weird that Sora would ask "WHY HER" after Xehanort kills Kairi? That's a strange thing to ask about just a "friend" being killed. It implies that he did not want it to be her - and as messed up as it sounds - he would have rather it been someone else. That's just how I processed that statement and I took it as him realizing that he loved Kairi because he did not want it to be Kairi. Also, why would Xehanort pick Kairi to kill - out of everyone - for Sora's "motivation" if he loved/cared about Riku more?

Even though KH3 may not touch on it in the "clearest" way, I see the romance being built in KH3. It's just very subtle. Maybe it's just me, but I don't need a clear statement and a 30 minute cutscene of Sora and Kairi repeatedly stating "I love you and not in a platonic way" while kissing each other to confirm to me that Sora/Kairi are a canon romantic couple.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I just don't see the love relationship ever really happening unless Nomura gets an idea one day that he wants Sora and Kairi to have a baby and have that child be the next hero of the series.

So it's not going to happen.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
You don't think it's weird that Sora would ask "WHY HER" after Xehanort kills Kairi? That's a strange thing to ask about just a "friend" being killed. It implies that he did not want it to be her - and as messed up as it sounds - he would have rather it been someone else. That's just how I processed that statement and I took it as him realizing that he loved Kairi because he did not want it to be Kairi. Also, why would Xehanort pick Kairi to kill - out of everyone - for Sora's "motivation" if he loved/cared about Riku more?

The way I interpreted it was that it was about how much she's been picked on--by fate / Nomura--over the series. In KH1, she's a heartless body held captive by Maleficent. In KH2, she's kidnapped by Axel, then held captive by the Organization, then left out of the final battle. Now in KH3, she's killed, and right after she just said in the DI scene she didn't want that to happen anymore, that she always wants to be with him. On top of that, the only reason Sora isn't dead himself after the opening scenes of the last world is thanks to Kairi. A shame that the person who revived him is the person that was killed.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
What I meant was that as Kairi's a girl - IE not a boy - Sora crying over her could imply something different than him crying over Riku. Riku is his best friend. Kairi is a GIRL that he likes - so potential romantic interest can be implied in his crying for her.

But that also makes no sense because why would crying over Kairi come off as romantic but crying over Riku doesn’t? Why is there a double-standard here?

Yes, 13 years ago is when we last really saw Sora being teased about/addressing his romantic interests towards Kairi. But in-game time, it's been like 3 months?

But that is even worse because not that much time has passed in game, so why ISN’T Sora reacting like he did not even a few weeks before in-game?

No, because Kairi’s has been dealt a crappy hand by fate and she has been in peril numerous times before. It ties into how he says he thought they’d finally be together. Ever since KH1, they have been pulled apart multiple times due to various circumstances. Of course he’s mad.

That doesn’t make any of this stuff romantic, though.

Also Xehanort had already taken Kairi because Xion was taken from his side. He killed her because she was an easy kill. He could have killed any of the heroes and still gotten the same reaction, but the difference is that Xehanort had already taken Kairi.

Like he literally just cried over all of his friends getting murdered in front of his eyes. Him crying over Kairi is hardly a surprise.

Even though KH3 may not touch on it in the "clearest" way, I see the romance being built in KH3. It's just very subtle. Maybe it's just me, but I don't need a clear statement and a 30 minute cutscene of Sora and Kairi repeatedly stating "I love you and not in a platonic way" while kissing each other to confirm to me that Sora/Kairi are a canon romantic couple.

They don’t need to kiss but you know saying “I love you” once goes a long way to make the intent clear. For now everything in KH3 comes off as awkward and platonic rather than being some subtle romance in the making.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
But that also makes no sense because why would crying over Kairi come off as romantic but crying over Riku doesn’t? Why is there a double-standard here?

But that is even worse because not that much time has passed in game, so why ISN’T Sora reacting like he did not even a few weeks before in-game?

No, because Kairi’s has been dealt a crappy hand by fate and she has been in peril numerous times before. It ties into how he says he thought they’d finally be together. Ever since KH1, they have been pulled apart multiple times due to various circumstances. Of course he’s mad.

That doesn’t make any of this stuff romantic, though.

Also Xehanort had already taken Kairi because Xion was taken from his side. He killed her because she was an easy kill. He could have killed any of the heroes and still gotten the same reaction, but the difference is that Xehanort had already taken Kairi.

Like he literally just cried over all of his friends getting murdered in front of his eyes. Him crying over Kairi is hardly a surprise.

They don’t need to kiss but you know saying “I love you” once goes a long way to make the intent clear. For now everything in KH3 comes off as awkward and platonic rather than being some subtle romance in the making.

It's not a double standard. Sora is clearly straight.

Maybe he's not acting the same way because a lot of stuff went down between KH2 and KH3? I don't know. It may be poor writing for not making it clear, but I think it was that Sora/Kairi had limited time to interact with each other. If they had time to interact, maybe we would have gotten more hints to the romance. That's why I think - due to limited time - Nomura rushed straight to the obvious hint of confirming their romance - the papou fruit.

It is interesting to assume that "WHY HER" is Sora breaking the 4th wall and referencing all the times Xehanort has kidnapped her, but I think the moment was meant to be serious relating to Sora's care for Kairi.

Has Nomura himself worked on a title (like as writer/director) where he actually had characters say "I love you" or clearly show romance? I feel like that is just not his style (but I may be wrong).

SuperNova

Awards
Limited time? If Nomura really wanted Kairi and Sora to interact they could have had scenes outside of the disney worlds and Secret Forest together before the climax. We could have seen Kairi use her Gummiphone while out on her own to talk to Sora. Or have them meet at Yen Sid’s Tower to talk about her progress. Or heck even have Sora think about Kairi like he did in KH2.

But he did none of that. Kairi wasn’t kidnapped until the literal last few hours of the game. She could have had a couple of scenes outside of the keyblade graveyard to show us their chemistry. But no. She spent all of her potential screen time sequestered in the Secret Forest.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Limited time? If Nomura really wanted Kairi and Sora to interact they could have had scenes outside of the disney worlds and Secret Forest together before the climax. We could have seen Kairi use her Gummiphone while out on her own to talk to Sora. Or have them meet at Yen Sid’s Tower to talk about her progress. Or heck even have Sora think about Kairi like he did in KH2.

But he did none of that. Kairi wasn’t kidnapped until the literal last few hours of the game. She could have had a couple of scenes outside of the keyblade graveyard to show us their chemistry. But no. She spent all of her potential screen time sequestered in the Secret Forest.

The Gummiphone does not get reception in The Secret Forest. Sora was busy in the Disney worlds. Kairi was busy training. The only time they had to interact was after the Disney worlds and Kairi's training - which resulted in the papou scene. I think it would have been poor dialogue for every scene of "love" to have Sora yell out "that makes me think of Kairi, who I love dearly!"

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I mean Nomura had all of re:coded and DDD to build up the relationship so it's strong enough where if there was a time crunch he will not need to devote a lot of the story for the Sora/Kairi love thin in kh3.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
It is interesting to assume that "WHY HER" is Sora breaking the 4th wall and referencing all the times Xehanort has kidnapped her, but I think the moment was meant to be serious relating to Sora's care for Kairi.
Why would it be breaking the 4th wall? All those things kept him apart from Kairi in-game. And, as you said, the time between games isn't very long at all, which means all this has happened to her in a short amount of time.

Back