• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Does anyone else miss the 'call for help' button in KH1?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Hoarse_Phuqer

You know what I'm talking about, that little mechanic where you would press triangle and your companions would rush in to your aid?

Didn't matter if you were swarmed by heartless... didn't matter if all of you were in critical condition, no magic or facing down a superboss, Donald and Goofy would drop whatever they were doing and either rush in to your aid or gang up on a single target.

It really helped sell the point to my tween mind that they were your best, trusted friends. Working together, all for one and one for one and all that good shit. It even had a tactical flavor to it as you could call them to your side when the boss would unleash an AOE attack and get them out of the line of fire, only for the three of you to swoop in and attack when the enemy was open.

Always considered it a shame it was never reintroduced.

NoWay

Awards
I never even really noticed it was a thing, personally?
Seriously? :D I abused this in the Dragon Maleficent Boss fight on critical mode. While I was hiding me behind the thorns, I pressed triangle so that Beast and Goofy would kill her. Like a real “pro gamer”! :D

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I loved that feature so much. It's ingrained in me. Even after two main title series that did not feature it, I still hit triangle in KH2 and KH3 sometimes to beg for help (IE Donald heal me).

I doubt it will come back as triangle has become property of reaction commands.

kaseykockroach

Awards
I confessedly never noticed this aspect until much later in life. Shame the game didn’t bother to tell me!

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I loved this and used it all the time. I miss that extra control you could have over the party. But, like KH1's MP system, it was so long ago now that I don't think it will ever return now. We're just lucky they reinstated Dodge Roll into KH2FM. KH w/out Dodge Roll would be a horrible fate, lol.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
To be completely fair as KHi's resident blind KH1 fanboy, KH2 and KH3 both have options that alter party member AI to focus on your target, other targets, support, etc. I know it isn't exactly the same as calling for help, but I'd take the AI option over the help button.

I remember in an old interview Nomura stated that he wanted to add microphone functionality where you could command party members, but that probably didn't make it far because of how ridiculous it would be to literally be calling for Donald and Goofy in your own home.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Yes, immensely so. I'm sad they abandoned that route instead of building up from it, and as much as later games gave better AI modifiers (which were already in KH1, just not as polished) giving direct orders during battle allowed for a better immersion and more strategizing on the fly.

okhi12

Awards
I miss it too when I think in the vanilla KH, but then I remember that because of it we have to take tedious measures in order to trap Donald and Goofy so we can get the pink agaricus rewards in the 1.5 KH Final Mix, so I'm not that fond of it. Using the triangle button in the remaster in order to use skills as if they were KH2 reaction command was a mistake.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I miss it too when I think in the vanilla KH, but then I remember that because of it we have to take tedious measures in order to trap Donald and Goofy so we can get the pink agaricus rewards in the 1.5 KH Final Mix, so I'm not that fond of it. Using the triangle button in the remaster in order to use skills as if they were KH2 reaction command was a mistake.

Oh yeah, this too. The Final Mix really screwed the pooch with that one.

kaseykockroach

Awards
To be completely fair as KHi's resident blind KH1 fanboy, KH2 and KH3 both have options that alter party member AI to focus on your target, other targets, support, etc. I know it isn't exactly the same as calling for help, but I'd take the AI option over the help button.

I remember in an old interview Nomura stated that he wanted to add microphone functionality where you could command party members, but that probably didn't make it far because of how ridiculous it would be to literally be calling for Donald and Goofy in your own home.

And now we have Donald and Goofy calling for us at the end of Kh3! ;)

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
I still try to use it in later games when I get stuck in a bind and then get disappointed that I can't.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
It’s more than this though. When you’re running from room to room and want to bypass Heartless, if you keep pressing triangle when you haven't locked onto anything, the party will follow you rather than wasting MP/HP on enemies. Helpful near the end of the game when the party tends to die with 3 hits.

Plus, with certain fights, you can change the focus of the party members based on whatever is happening at any given moment.

Oh yeah, this too. The Final Mix really screwed the pooch with that one.
I may be wrong, but the Reaction Command addition to KH1FM was made with the HD Remasters (to make it more like KH2, I can only assume), wasn't it? The original KH1FM didn't use triangle for everything from text bubbles to opening chests, did it?

Using triangle for certain things instead of having to drop to the last box of the Attack Menu and open another menu is probably the only 1up from KH1 to KH2, although they waaay overdid it.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I never even really noticed it was a thing, personally?

I didn't even know there was one until just now.

Man, no wonder people don't have KH1 as their favourite game ever as they should, look at all the important information being lost.
I weep for y'all.

I may be wrong, but the Reaction Command addition to KH1FM was made with the HD Remasters (to make it more like KH2, I can only assume), wasn't it? The original KH1FM didn't use triangle for everything from text bubbles to opening chests, did it?

Using triangle for certain things instead of having to drop to the last box of the Attack Menu and open another menu is probably the only 1up from KH1 to KH2, although they waaay overdid it.

Oh, I wouldn't know, I keep equating Final Mixes and HD remasters in my head since I could play FM versions only with the remasters.

If so then yeah, it was the 1.5 that screwed the pooch.

Hoarse_Phuqer

To be fair, you wouldn't know some of these mechanics unless you read either the strategy guide or the manual that came with the game, and the 1.5 version doesn't have one. Only players from back in the day would have access to this information

LostArtist

Awards
what the hell, I don't remember this at all! I thought this was referring to some kind of final mix addition (I never played any of the hd remix/final mix games so I thought that was why I didn't remember it) but after reading some posts apparently not lol. Damn, I guess I missed this, but now I know lmao.

Back