• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What will happen with theme songs post-KH3?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
So, let's talk about something important for a change: what do you think will happen with theme songs for the series post-KH3?

1. Do you think Utada will return? On one hand, she seemed pretty enthusiastic about KH3, even giving us 2 songs this time. But in a way I can believe that is her giving her all her last time around because she doesn't plan to be involved with the next saga.

2. Do you think they will re-use "Face My Fears" and "Don't Think Twice" intermittently for a game or two in the future or no?

3. And who would you like to create theme songs in future if it's not going to be Utada? If Utada were to leave, I'd love if it was someone like Jordin Sparks, Kelly Clarkson, Christina Aguilera, Sara Bareilles, or Leona Lewis (since she did FFXIII's theme song). But I wouldn't mind either Ariana or Katy either, who've worked with FF projects recently, I believe. How cool would it be though if they got a Disney voice actor to do a theme though, like Jodi Benson or Idina Menzel? A video game series is way below her pay grade, but I have a nostalgia dream of Celine Dion, too (similar to Peabo Bryson doing that cover of "Sanctuary" a few years back).

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I'm fine with a new singer taking over if Utada doesn't want to return. I would have taken a new singer if she didnt return for KH3. If the next saga has less games then the first one I could see a new song for each of them. Whether by the same singer or different ones is anyone's guess. If they re use Chikai and Face my Fears I guess I wouldnt mind too much.

As for singers I've always been a fan of Gackt and LISA. I'd like to see their take on a KH theme.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I thought about this a lot... I'm not sure.

I can't really foresee the franchise going beyond KH6 (one last 3 game saga). Utada is only 36, so even if the next saga takes 10-15 years to complete, she will be around to do it. I would like Utada to do all the themes for the games, as I kind of see her as the "First Lady of KH", but it might be interesting for someone new to take over the next saga's themes. I would like it to be one person for the whole saga, I wouldn't want it to be a revolving door of artists.

Regarding the theme they may use for potential spinoffs until KH4, I think they may stick with reworked versions of Simple & Clean. I would LOVE for them to actually do an orchestral version of Face My Fears.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Gotta get Drake to do the opening theme. #6God

Jokes aside, they'll probably ask her to return, but there's a good chance that KH3 was it and she's falling back after that. It depends on when the next game would come out, the importance of the next installment and whether she's in a creative space where she's able to make something at the time. If the next big KH game comes out in 2023 for example, there's no telling, a lot can happen in four years. Especially when you make music.

It also depends on the direction of the next saga as well. They'll probably reuse the songs or remix them, but for mainline titles, it's really anyone's guess.

Ranma

Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
Utada was the perfect choice for Kingdom Hearts as both are a mixture of Japan and America. Kingdom Hearts being a collaboration of Disney and Final Fantasy, and Utada herself being Japanese-American. If they ever have to replace her, they should find someone who represents that same duality and not just any popular singer. But then again, I'm also biased as hearing the Japanese versions of the theme songs are what got me into learning the language. And that's been a big part of my life.

As for singers I've always been a fan of Gackt and LISA. I'd like to see their take on a KH theme.

We should talk about music sometime.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
I am conflicted, I wouldn't mind if Don't Think Twice and Face My Fears got more use, but it may be better to just get a new song for a new saga.

disney233

Awards
How do we even know if they'll even remix Face My Fears or Don't Think Twice? It'll probably be a one and done like Sanctuary, and odds, when in doubt, continue making a dozen remixes of Simple and Clean. This a mere possibility all depending on what will happen at KH4. Waaaay too early to think about a KH4 now, anyway.

Back