• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Relationships

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
I'll keep my eye open for that wikipedia entry if it ever exists in official script, til then, speculate away my lovelies.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
Aqua and Terra seem like a thing to me
even in the dark their bond was powerful and neither is princess of heart

You never stopped lighting my way back.’
tumblr_orgf8cDJ4p1u28opso2_500.gif

tumblr_pmawrsQMlA1re793ao3_540.gif

Now they can raise their 1000 year old child
Happy valentines day

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards

You never stopped lighting my way back[FONT=&].’
[/FONT]

Happy valentines day

I've always been rather drawn to Terra/Aqua. It's the only consistent pair that's stuck with me even until now.

tenor.gif

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

Happy valentines day
"He said to-He said to take two grown-ups."

This line's even funnier now that we know he's technically one of the oldest characters in the series.

Last edited:

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I don't necessarily ship Terra and Aqua, but I also don't have a problem with it. I think in the JP version of the game, Ven says, "He said take my parents" when he gave them the Disney Town cards. I think. It was super cute. Whether I ship them or not, Terra and Aqua are a weird mixture of Ven's parents and older siblings. Perfect trio.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I don't understand Aqua Ven shippers at all. Everything about them screams mother and child/big sis and little bro. While yes, Aqua somewhat parallels to Sora and Ven somewhat to Kairi, their character do not match one to one. Aqua is arguably a mixture of Riku, Sora, and maybe a sprinkle of Kairi (they have the least in common). Ven is 99% Sora and 1% Kairi.

Saying "Good morning" to Ven after a very long coma and petting his head like a mother would to her child is not 'suggestive'. I don't know how anyone jumps to that conclusion. It was a very sweet reunion after the devastation that left Ven sleeping there for a decade.

I don't ship Ven with Terra or Aqua. It's just weird.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

Happy valentines day
<3

Spoiler Spoiler Show
What in the ever loving fuck? Who interpreted it that way??? I'm honestly so disgusted that such a sweet and tender moment could have been interpreted that way.

I don't understand Aqua Ven shippers at all. Everything about them screams mother and child/big sis and little bro. While yes, Aqua somewhat parallels to Sora and Ven somewhat to Kairi, their character do not match one to one. Aqua is arguably a mixture of Riku, Sora, and maybe a sprinkle of Kairi (they have the least in common). Ven is 99% Sora and 1% Kairi.

Saying "Good morning" to Ven after a very long coma and petting his head like a mother would to her child is not 'suggestive'. I don't know how anyone jumps to that conclusion. It was a very sweet reunion after the devastation that left Ven sleeping there for a decade.

I don't ship Ven with Terra or Aqua. It's just weird.
Preach.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
The good morning Ven only sounds smutty due to the way Willa Holland said it and the nature of how the internet view things.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I don't hear anything weird about the way Willa said it. It was soft and endearing. So was Ven's.

MelodicEnigma

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Oh Aqua and Ven (and another usual, Terra and Ven)? Ah, people can ship whatever they want—most people have their own reasons for doing so anyway. Can't exactly tell them no. XD

Though, it does bring up an interesting point about the fan community with the whole "shipping" mindset. People enjoy things differently, and thus, the way they see and experience material can be on such a personal, variable spectrum. I've never been against people shipping characters together—a lot of the time it's all good fun and personal preference. Yet, it only ever comes into contention when people take that personal ideal for themselves and apply it as a functional mechanism in the story—something less personal, and more an understanding any reader is supposed to grasp on a fundamental level. Sometimes it makes for some pretty interesting discussions about characterization, storytelling motifs, rhetoric, narrative studies, etc. You know, the fun stuff (to me at least). lol But, sometimes it really just points out where things blur between the objective and subjective side how we as an audience translate storytelling functionality in our heads. Experiencing things differently is part of the amazing experience of taking in creative content of all sorts, but, at what point is it truly just subjective on how a character is, who they are, and what their relationship to other characters are? A writer can indeed leave things open for interpretation, this is true, but—and not to sound lame—characters are still a living, breathing thing in their own worlds. There are set things to understand. They have personalities (hopefully), they have motives (again, hopefully), they have relationships, certain dispositions with other characters—these things are purposely written to be so, and really, no matter the translation people have in their heads, there is a fundamental understanding to be gained from how characterization and character interaction is implemented in a story. So, I mean, yeah, people can ship whoever they want. It's aight. But, honestly, if one was to really sit down, and understand all the interactions between two characters as if researching them (and honestly, it doesn't really take having to do that sometimes), it's pretty easy to see certain meanings and intentions from the story—from the writer, even more specifically. At a reasonable level, not everything is just open to interpretation—subtext can be intentionally placed to mean a specific thing.

When it comes to Ventus and his relationship with both Terra and Aqua, the "two grownups" that he'd want to take to the Dream Festival—it's just too clear on what their relationship actually is in the context. That is just one, small defining moment of his disposition with both of them, but the story is completely riddled with interactions and dialogue that really captures what Nomura is reflecting on the dispositions of those characters. Doesn't mean that people still can't see what they want to of course—the freedom of interpretation works out that way, thankfully. But, I really feel like there needs to be a separation in conversations when people are freely talking about what's in their heads vs what can be recognized and supported within the context in full.

Also, I mean, the parallels of the "sleeping bum" character trait for Aqua/Ven and Sora/Kairi is there. True, intentionally so if you ask me. But, that's there just as much as the intentional setup of Aqua=Kairi/Terra=Riku/Ven=Sora even for the naming of the characters. It's very specific, and I wouldn't really relate that completely to their actual relationships with each other. Last time I checked, Terra didn't parade around teasing Ven about sharing a paopu fruit with Aqua. XD

.:Mega:.

Awards
Yeah. You know what makes it even murkier? In the Japanese version, he outright states, "He said to take my parents." The localization likely reworded it to avoid confusion since the game also calls Terra his brother. That being said, it's kinda funny how they have this paternal role with a boy who is only two years younger than Aqua (Ven is 16, and that is still SURREAL to me).

But I genuinely do think of the TAV trio, there's more ground to view Aqua and Terra as romantic. It's all subtext, but just the way certain lines are said, like Aqua on Destiny Islands all, "Terra, what's to become of us?" It's definitely not blatantly romantic, but I can see how people would view it as such.

Honestly, the one thing that frustrates me with fanworks, though, is the mindset that ships are set in stone. This is less relevant to the games as a whole, but people tend to look at pairings in absolutes when, in reality... feelings can and do change. So if someone wanted to, say, pair Sora or Kairi with someone else? It's not invalid, and if a writer handles it respectfully, it's not the worst thing. That is to say, you wanna ship Sora and Riku? Don't act like they'd suddenly hate Kairi. That's bad characterization.

The appeal of ambiguity, I think, is that it means people have less grounds to be dicks to people who wanna ship something off the beaten path. I say this as a Kairi and Riku shipper since the KH1 days. The amount of salt I have gotten from both SoRiku and SoKai purists has been absurd. :U Knowing fully well it isn't canon, but still liking the character dynamics and wanting to explore it in fanworks... I feel like people could stand to be less dickish about it?

Shipping wars in general just seem pointless. At the end of the day, it's fictional characters locking lips. I value good characterization, but ultimately what people ship won't alter the media itself.

kaseykockroach

Awards
I like to think Ven’s as old as Aqua, just really short. It’s cuter that way. :p

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I could care less as a whole about the Wayfinders, so shipping anybody from TAV never occurred to me.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I could care less as a whole about the Wayfinders, so shipping anybody from TAV never occurred to me.
The Wayfinders were made with the idea of how sharing a paopu fruit connects people, not romantically so... that's fine? lol

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I'd still prefer Roxas and Xion to Roxas and Nams. :p I just... don't get Roxas and Namine as a ship? They barely knew each other, whereas Roxas and Xion had an entire year to grow close, and their chemistry feels more natural.
As far as possible het couples go, I guess it's because I became slightly attached to them in KH2, before Xion was invented out of thin air because Nomura figured Roxas needed a girl for motivation in Daysever existed. I like Xion, but I see her as like a little sister to Roxas and Lea.

Which crosses over to the talk about Terra / Aqua. They always came across to me as practically co-parents to Ventus. That's why Aqua / Ventus kind of grosses me out, like an Oedipus thing. :X

Always the vibe I've gotten from him tbh.
For me, if it's not SoRiku, then I'd rather he be alone. *shrug*

Sora and Riku are my only ship since I was little.

I've shipped them since I was 13 in middle school. To me, I used to think of Sora, Riku, and Kari as similar to Tai, Matt, and Kari from Digimon, respectively. Kind of made my day to hear Kari's dub voice in KH3. xD (I only had that strange digression because I was thinking about the fact that I've also shipped Taito since middle school.)

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

.:Mega:.

Awards
Idk. I think the KH mangas prove that Kairi CAN be written as a good character, so I don't think removing her is the solution. To me, the solution is... actually giving her stuff to do outside of being a damsel/token love interest.

Back