• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Disney's restrictions on Arendelle

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Yumeka

Website
animeyume.com
Am I the only one who feels Arendelle got a bit cheated compared to the other KH3 Disney worlds? Maybe I'm super sensitive to it because Frozen is my favorite movie, and I read in the Nomura interviews that Disney was a lot more protective of their newer movies compared to the old KH games, but it was a tad worse than I expected. Just off the top of my head:

- None of the main characters are party members. Makes sense that Elsa wouldn't be one, but no reason Anna and Kristoff couldn't have been the world's party members like Eugene and Rapunzel were for Tangled. They're on a journey to find Elsa just like Sora is,so it makes sense, even if it was just for a small portion of the story.

- Hans gets zero explanation other than Kristoff mentioning he's Anna's true love. So SDG have no idea that the guy who carried Elsa away and then tried to kill her was Hans. In the Tangled world, we get several cutscenes with Mother Gothel so I don't know why Frozen didn't get an equivalent villain reveal scene. I personally think they couldn't get a voice actor for Hans for whatever reason (what happened with his Heartless by the way? It looked like it didn't get destroyed so is it still out there somewhere?)

- Arendelle really needed at least one more different area; Larxene's ice labyrinth looked cool but added nothing to the Frozen plot nor the KH plot and so felt like a pointless detour, and traversing the north mountain for the rest of the story got repetitive. Even if it was a small area, some more variety was needed: maybe a battle in Elsa's ice palace where we see Hans using Heartless to capture her, or visiting the trolls and having to do some sort of extra mission there.

- Absolutely no excuse for not including a closing scene between SDG and the Frozen characters. Literally every other Kingdom Hearts game has Sora exchanging well wishes and thank yous to the new friends he made after the story’s finale. We get none of that for Arendelle - after Elsa thaws everything as SDG look on (the Frozen characters don’t even acknowledge they’re there), the camera panes away, we switch to a cutscene with Aqua, and then Sora's suddenly back on the Gummiship. This would have also been a perfect opportunity for the characters to explain Hans to Sora, similar to how the closing scene in Tangled informed Sora about Flynn Rider's real name. The only time Sora got to talk to Elsa was at the very beginning of the story - at least let him talk to her one more time! C'mon, that's all he was trying to do throughout the entire world!

(I go into more detail about the Arendelle restrictions on my blog post here, but this is the tl;dr version!)

As lousy as it is, I understand why Disney would place more restrictions on Frozen compared to the other Disney worlds for two main reasons: first, it's their highest grossing animated movie and Frozen's director/writer Jennifer Lee is the current head of Disney Animation (I did see her name in the KH3 credits), and, more importantly, Frozen 2 comes out in less than a year so that would make them even more touchy about non-canon depictions of the world and characters that might alter whatever image they want to uphold. This would also explain why Tangled didn't get as many restrictions even though it's also a very popular Disney franchise. Any other reasons? Am I right in feeling that Tangled got a better KH treatment than Frozen?

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I agree with everything that you said except for Marshmallow. He was a nice change of pace in terms of party members and breaks the status quo.

See, having a minor character as a party member was a pleasent surprise for me. It further characterised the character in a way that the movie was not able to (and did not need to). Frankly, having a beast ice monster be a party member is inherently cooler than having Anna and Kristoff who are essentially Frozen's Rapunzel and Flynn.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I definitely agree that at least Anna and Kristoff should've been party members; I can see Elsa being left out since she isolates herself for the whole movie. Hopefully the world returns in the next KH and they rectify that by making both sisters party members.

Besides that, I wish we could go inside the ice palace is all and fight Hans directly. I don't really mind the town being unavailable since we already have town scenery in the game with TT and Corona.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
The trolls were a missed opportunity. I didnt care for them in the film but theyCould have restored Sora, Donald, and Goofy's memories of Castle Oblivion..

If Arendelle returns in KH4 or another game I'm hoping Disney let's the writers be more flexible with the world.

WhinyAcademic

Awards
I feel like Arendelle was Disney telling Nomura “okay, recreate Let It Go and some of Snowman so we can sell merch. NOTHING. ELSE.” I always give Disney a pass for cash cow stuff because they are still a business, but Jesus Christ this is the best we got? It’s not the game’s fault that Frozen mania calmed down and now people are kinda sick of it just from how overplayed it got, but it sure as hell didn’t help.

The trolls were a missed opportunity. I didnt care for them in the film but theyCould have restored Sora, Donald, and Goofy's memories of Castle Oblivion..

If Arendelle returns in KH4 or another game I'm hoping Disney let's the writers be more flexible with the world.

That’s brilliant!

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
It’s not the game’s fault that Frozen mania calmed down and now people are kinda sick of it just from how overplayed it got, but it sure as hell didn’t help.
I think the people who didn't like it to begin with are very loud about how sick they are of it, but I don't think the mania itself has calmed down at all. The Broadway show is a smash and the property is still in the top 10 licensed merchandise sellers globally (and that's among all properties, not just Disney) at around 1.5 billion dollars made in 2017 alone--4 years after the film was released. :wink:

Yumeka

Website
animeyume.com
I agree with everything that you said except for Marshmallow. He was a nice change of pace in terms of party members and breaks the status quo.

See, having a minor character as a party member was a pleasent surprise for me. It further characterised the character in a way that the movie was not able to (and did not need to). Frankly, having a beast ice monster be a party member is inherently cooler than having Anna and Kristoff who are essentially Frozen's Rapunzel and Flynn.

I see your points about Marshmallow as a party member...I guess for hardcore fans of the movie, being teamed up with the main characters that we love is what we wanted XD But for someone who doesn't have this affinity, then yeah, it is a nice change. But even Marshmallow didn't join the group until towards the end of the story, so I felt this world still had a bit too much of SDG by themselves.

That idea for the trolls is ingenious. With Frozen 2 coming out at the end of this year, and Anna and Elsa confirmed as princesses of heart, I feel like there's a chance Sora will return to that world in a future KH games, so your idea is a possibility (only if Disney loosens up their restrictions of course. Not holding my breath)

I think the people who didn't like it to begin with are very loud about how sick they are of it, but I don't think the mania itself has calmed down at all. The Broadway show is a smash and the property is still in the top 10 licensed merchandise sellers globally (and that's among all properties, not just Disney) at around 1.5 billion dollars made in 2017 alone--4 years after the film was released. :wink:

I agree, and I actually didn't know that fact about Frozen being in the top 10 licensed merchandise sellers. But yeah, compared to the other KH3 worlds, in addition to being such a financially important property to Disney, Frozen currently has ongoing works like the Broadway show and upcoming sequel, so that unfortunately only enhances Disney's protectiveness of it (well, Tangled and Big Hero 6 have animated shows, but I guess those aren't as much of a concern as big budget films). But then you have to wonder why Toy Story was allowed to have an original story in the game when it has another sequel film this year. Maybe Pixar is more lenient?

Last edited by a moderator:

The Dark Mamba

Awards
Personally I thought it was fun world but there were certainly room for some improvements.

- Hans's role. Seriously wtf? At least have the scene where he betrays Anna so that his role in the game/plot makes sense. Worlds should be written to where seeing the film isn't a prerequisite to understanding the world.

- Definitely needed a closing scene with SDG and the Frozen gang. The only time Sora talks to Elsa is when he first meets her.

- I understand them not including the Kingdom since the world's story starts in Mountains but I think one more non-snowy area woulda helped with the variety. At the very least it's unacceptable not to let us go inside Elsa's castle. It's not like it's a complex area to recreate anyways.

- I was seriously looking forward to Larxene trolling Elsa and Anna to their face. Wish those characters had some interaction.

Despite those issues I still thought it was a fun world probably cuz I just like Frozen in general. I didn't even have an issue with Marshmallow as the party member. If they did wanna go the Anna and Kristoff route then I guess they could've provided support-type abilities similar to Mike Wazoski.

KeybladeOrder

Awards
Personally I thought it was fun world but there were certainly room for some improvements.

- Hans's role. Seriously wtf? At least have the scene where he betrays Anna so that his role in the game/plot makes sense. Worlds should be written to where seeing the film isn't a prerequisite to understanding the world.

Exactly! The plots for Arendelle and The Caribbean make no sense without prior viewing of the movies in question. At least when Kingdom of Corona separated SDG from Rapunzel and Flynn, the important details of what you were missing were still covered (Marluxia explaining about Rapunzel's hair and finding out Flynn's real name being a gag).

UltimaXOmega

No town was annoying. Also who is the castle cut off despite the map showing it as a room?

Yumeka

Website
animeyume.com

- Definitely needed a closing scene with SDG and the Frozen gang. The only time Sora talks to Elsa is when he first meets her.

- I understand them not including the Kingdom since the world's story starts in Mountains but I think one more non-snowy area woulda helped with the variety. At the very least it's unacceptable not to let us go inside Elsa's castle. It's not like it's a complex area to recreate anyways.

- I was seriously looking forward to Larxene trolling Elsa and Anna to their face. Wish those characters had some interaction.

Despite those issues I still thought it was a fun world probably cuz I just like Frozen in general. I didn't even have an issue with Marshmallow as the party member. If they did wanna go the Anna and Kristoff route then I guess they could've provided support-type abilities similar to Mike Wazoski.

Agree about everything. If there were any two cutscenes Arendelle needed, it was Hans betraying Anna and SDG saying goodbye to the characters.

Larxene's personality would have been a perfect foil for Elsa; I was really hoping for something like Xaldin and the Beast in KH2 between those two. Again, the lack of this likely came down to Disney allowing a very small quota of non-canon scenes with Elsa...Sora must have used it all up in the beginning. Oh well =/

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
Agree about everything. If there were any two cutscenes Arendelle needed, it was Hans betraying Anna and SDG saying goodbye to the characters.

Larxene's personality would have been a perfect foil for Elsa; I was really hoping for something like Xaldin and the Beast in KH2 between those two. Again, the lack of this likely came down to Disney allowing a very small quota of non-canon scenes with Elsa...Sora must have used it all up in the beginning. Oh well =/

Maybe the success and discussion of KH3 and the Worlds we liked and worlds we disliked will give Disney more insight into the whole situation regarding worlds. They wanted to make it seem like Sora and co could have actually been there without affecting the movie, but wanted too hard to make sure they wouldn't have affected the movie. The more successful worlds in most polls are the ones that had original plot that gave the creators room to work with. It brings up the argument: Should you even pick a world if they won't be able to interact with it? My answer would be no, if I can't be a part of the plot then I'd prefer not to be at the world. When you pick movies that have more internal conflicts than physical conflicts (which happens a lot more with the way the world is going because they don't even want to remotely encourage any kind of behavior that could lead to negativity which is more pandering than trying to get a message across) which makes it a lot harder to make it a world in an action game. Food for thought I suppose.

Yumeka

Website
animeyume.com
Maybe the success and discussion of KH3 and the Worlds we liked and worlds we disliked will give Disney more insight into the whole situation regarding worlds. They wanted to make it seem like Sora and co could have actually been there without affecting the movie, but wanted too hard to make sure they wouldn't have affected the movie. The more successful worlds in most polls are the ones that had original plot that gave the creators room to work with. It brings up the argument: Should you even pick a world if they won't be able to interact with it? My answer would be no, if I can't be a part of the plot then I'd prefer not to be at the world. When you pick movies that have more internal conflicts than physical conflicts (which happens a lot more with the way the world is going because they don't even want to remotely encourage any kind of behavior that could lead to negativity which is more pandering than trying to get a message across) which makes it a lot harder to make it a world in an action game. Food for thought I suppose.

While Kingdom Hearts is an action game, the story arcs of the characters and the overall plot are very internal. Which is why Disney movies that deal with internal conflicts, like Frozen, are full of potential in a universe like that of Kingdom Hearts, where a person's heart and feelings can literally move mountains. So it's a shame if it's not allowed to capitalize on that.

Awards
Well, I see a lot of people complaining about how empty Arendelle seemed, but it was the same in the film (except for the actual kingdom). Yeah I expected to see the trolls, but it didn’t bother me that much.

Obviously, if Disney had that much input on that world, that’s how they wanted it to be

And it’s possible that Disney didn’t want Hans to have that much in the story because they didn’t want him to become a Heartless like Gothel.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I feel like they should have given us Elsa and Anna/Kristoff in the party, then post-world you can talk to them outside the ice palace and ask one or the other to come with you down the mountain. That way they could have Elsa leave the party after Let It Go and have Anna/Kristoff join later.

Regarding the lack of interaction with the world, I don't mind that Sora wasn't really part of the (movie) plot. I just wish things got explained better. I haven't watched Frozen in a while, so some details I kind of forgot. They didn't even pull a Kingdom of Corona and fill you in after. Also I thought the use of Do You Wanna Build A Snowman was poor especially because of the sound mixing. It would have been better to have Anna tell the story while the flashback played, then have her sing it acapella in the present after the cutscene.

mytomxxx

Exactly! The plots for Arendelle and The Caribbean make no sense without prior viewing of the movies in question. At least when Kingdom of Corona separated SDG from Rapunzel and Flynn, the important details of what you were missing were still covered (Marluxia explaining about Rapunzel's hair and finding out Flynn's real name being a gag).

Tho they didn't explain how and why Rapunzel was with the crown at the boat, and delivered it to flynn. One scene Gothel finds the crown and another scene Rapunzel has it.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
Personally, Arendelle is the "Prankster's Paradise" (Pinocchio) of Kingdom Hearts III, as while they are fun levels with some unique environments, gameplay and a cool keyblade (Crystal Snow in Arendelle, Ferris Gear in Sora's Side of Prankster's Paradise). they both have their flaws and I actually expected more from the movie's world, but unlike Pinocchio's world (where I wanted more areas besides Monstro and Pleasure Island and the Blue Fairy is the ONLY new character from the film to appear in the KH series), I expected several things to add from this world to make it better:

1. Have SDG visit the Valley of the Living rock where they meet Grand Pabbie and the Trolls

2. I would've like to have more of Hans such as him invading Elsa's palace and betraying Anna when she returned back home.

3. Have the Frozen cast acknowledge SDG and thanking them.

Back