• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Keyblade Master

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Insomniac

Bronze Member
Awards
I don’t exactly remember where but I have this memory of Nomura staring at some point that in KH3 Sora would become a Keyblade Master. Was that something that was cut from the game or did it happen behind the scenes at some point? Although, he was eventually able to obtain the power of Waking it doesn’t seem that he was even officially named a Keyblade Master. Does anyone have any more insight on this subject? Is there something I missed? Is it better that he is or isn’t a Keyblade Master?

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I mean the fact he beat xehanort already make him a keyblade master
He's the power level of a Master but he's irresponsible. He abused the power of waking consistently despite warnings.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
It's a weird conundrum because I feel like the point they made in DDD was that the power of waking was the goal for being recognized a Master (they both acquired, but Sora "lost" it)

But yeah, Sora almost reached Terra's level of doing things his way and power abusing, so idk if he can be recognized as such.

not to mention there's very little Sora around to recognize now, sadly.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
He's the power level of a Master but he's irresponsible. He abused the power of waking consistently despite warnings.

Wouldn't Riku have done the same though? Especially if Xehanort killed Sora just as he did Kairi . Irresponsible or not I'd say Sora is more than worthy of the Master title after KH3.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Wouldn't Riku have done the same though? Especially if Xehanort killed Sora just as he did Kairi . Irresponsible or not I'd say Sora is more than worthy of the Master title after KH3.
In regards to Kairi, he didn't. He wants to go convene with Yen Sid but Sora doesn't want to wait. Would he if it were Sora? Possibly, probably, it doesn't matter though because he didn't do anything so reckless.

I think both Sora and Terra are worthy after what they've overcome, and I thought it was leading to that after the defeat of Xehanort but nope, lol.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

It is not just this one instance though.
Throughout the entire game it is hinted at and implied that Sora uses the power of waking recklessly and foolish, meaning he has no true mastery over the powers he wields. They may yield the intended results but at a way higher price than necessary if they would be used effectively.

One of the required assets of a true Keyblade Master should certainly also be to be able to use the powers available effectively without harmful side effects.

Riku likes and appreciates Kairi too and was already thinking of a strategy to try and get her back. Being reckless and chasing the dreams of pain already got Sora in trouble back in DDD and Mickey too does not think this is a good idea.

Xigbar speaks about this too in Olympus, stating that having several connected hearts do indeed provide strength, but the risk of endangering one or more of these hearts when acting recklessly is also there.

Last edited:

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I agree with Sephiroth, the Mark of Mastery would probably include having enough mastery over your skills to not cause unnecessary harm.

It's not all about power as Taochan mentioned, but also about being responsible.

While Sora arguably is stronger and has more skill with using the Keyblade, than Riku or Mickey, he also seems to be winging it most of the time and dosen't really have full control over his abilities, at least that's my impression.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Well, the Mark of Mastery was indeed always less about power and more about control and judgement, even back in BbS.
Terra is a literal bulldozer in terms of strenght, but he failed because he wasn't able to keep hjis own Darkness under control.

And I agree with this method of scoring, since if the Xehanort saga wasn't a giant giveaway of what happens when even just ONE Keyblade Master goes rogue I don't know what is.
Sora is definitely capable and has his heart and will in the right place, but when all is said and done the Norts were right when they mocked him for lacking better judgement.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Yes, being a Master has never been about power levels or strength. If we compare Aqua and Terra, Terra wins over Aqua in pure strength obviously, but Aqua has more mastery over her skills, emotions, and her judgement is a little better than his (Aqua can just to some weird conclusions too sometimes)

Sora is very very powerful. Extremely so. But as others have mentioned, he's always so reckless. I think until he stops jumping into trouble so often all the time, he'll never become a Master. But the old ways are done anyway, the title Master currently means nothing as far as I know.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I wouldn't say never him being more responsible, strategic and patient could very well be the next character arc for him.

Yes, being a Master has never been about power levels or strength. If we compare Aqua and Terra, Terra wins over Aqua in pure strength obviously, but Aqua has more mastery over her skills, emotions, and her judgement is a little better than his (Aqua can just to some weird conclusions too sometimes)

Sora is very very powerful. Extremely so. But as others have mentioned, he's always so reckless. I think until he stops jumping into trouble so often all the time, he'll never become a Master. But the old ways are done anyway, the title Master currently means nothing as far as I know.

Pretty much this. Guess his next arc will be about growing up and manning to his consequences.

Back