• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The treatment of women in this series

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I kind of expected her to just stand around in the background while Sora did everything. But this is even worse, she’s constantly humiliated and embarrassed without a single good heroic moment of her own during the big climax.

That's not exactly true though, is it? She's the only reason Sora and everyone else didn't die, really. Chirithy said she's the reason Sora didn't vanish. I still wonder if we're supposed to assume that's because of the paopu fruit? Because she's among the living, he can't really die because their souls are tethered or something. Like--do they have real power now or is it just a symbol only?

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Oh well, at least they're consistent with that. Forgetting common sense and sacrificing oneself for others is TAV's signature mood.

And yes, it was a miniscule moment, but at this point I'll take what I can get. I'm in that stage of grief lol.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Nala

Similarly Sora even says "Why her?" because she was the one he cared about the most clearly. He could have picked anyone else and Sora wouldn't have cared.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Pokie

Is there really a difference between the two? They may politely ask for more female representation, but what thet actually mean is that "women should be strong and independent, it's weak for a woman to rely on a man and the romantic subplots hinder their true potential". Trust me, I know how this works with them.

I swear that's not what we are not debating about? We just want Kairi to be more of her own character, her own person so to speak, rather than just being plot development for Sora. Bit of a difference?

Pokie

Don't reply to Onion anymore. He got banned from the discussion.

Sorry, just wanted to be open-minded to everybody, even if I highly disagreed with 'em.

Though, as I said before, it did seem like he's stuck with a 1950's mindset.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I swear that's not what we are not debating about? We just want Kairi to be more of her own character, her own person so to speak, rather than just being plot development for Sora. Bit of a difference?

I am all for this. I just think that KH3 was probably not the best game for it, as there was countless things that needed to be resolved. The situation at hand in KH3 sort of forced Kairi to remain in the role of "most important thing to Sora" and hence a tool of manipulation of Sora. Hopefully after KH3 we can see Kairi doing her own thing.

Maybe we can get DLC of Kairi/Axel visiting some worlds for practice that happened off screen?

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

OneDandelion

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show
I just can't forgive Nomura for the scenes with Aqua. Defeated by Vanitas. Let's Terranort slash Ven and just stands there. Stripped of her keyblade. Waits for friends in the RoD and does nothing but hope. After everything that happened in 0.2? After being a keyblade master? After given more development than Kairi? It's bad writing.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show
made me laugh, nomura isnt a slave to your sjw ideology. if you don't like it go play a game starring a female protagonist

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

made me laugh, nomura isnt a slave to your sjw ideology. if you don't like it go play a game starring a female protagonist

Hey don't bring all that SJW political crap talk here, please. I don't want to see that nonsense in a forum for a game I love. If you don't like a thread where people DISCUSS female representation in the game, then go to a thread that doesn't have it.

You actually had some points, but you had to go and make things all political and attack people for no reason. I don't think I saw any post in here where any of the posters alluded to "hating men". I don't think there's a single post in here hating on Sora or any other male character in the series.

OneDandelion

Awards
Dude this entire thread is ripping on the series for having damsel in distress as a motivating factor. The post I responded to cited "2019 levels of representation"

I'm not the one who wants to have this talk; this is 100% what happens when a person can't appreciate a game for what it is because it doesn't include the things they want. All I'm saying is that the story is a masterpiece the way it is and does not need to be changed to be more inclusive to anyone.

SerDuncan

Dude this entire thread is ripping on the series for having damsel in distress as a motivating factor. The post I responded to cited "2019 levels of representation"

I'm not the one who wants to have this talk; this is 100% what happens when a person can't appreciate a game for what it is because it doesn't include the things they want. All I'm saying is that the story is a masterpiece the way it is and does not need to be changed to be more inclusive to anyone.

This game is far from a masterpiece, even without including the issues with representation and portrayal that this thread is dealing with. This isn't just a question of SJW ideology or feminism here (although it is worrying), the lack of female character agency in this game actively makes the story worse by making previously interesting characters into simple plot devices. I don't know if many people would honestly say that this game's "version" of Aqua or Namine was better than their original portrayals.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

See, I agree with you that I love the story as is. However, with any story, people are going to analyze it and find faults. Whether they're faults to you or not, that is subjective. A lot of my friends hate on KH because to them the "story is too complicated", but to me and a lot of people on this forum that know all about KH - it isn't.

Nothing is wrong with some posters having a rational discussion about the series having a damsel in distress as a motivating factor. If some people don't like what they perceive the direction of the game headed because "in 2019", then let those people discuss it in peace. You don't need to come into their thread and attack them. If you came in and stated your opinion on why the story is fine as is, then I wouldn't have said anything, but right off the bat you're claiming people have "SJW ideology" and telling them to go play another game.

I posted something in here and no one has attacked me for it. I think you might agree with me: https://forums.khinsider.com/spoilers/218564-treatment-women-series-7.html#post6560472

OneDandelion

Awards
This game is far from a masterpiece, even without including the issues with representation and portrayal that this thread is dealing with. This isn't just a question of SJW ideology or feminism here (although it is worrying), the lack of female character agency in this game actively makes the story worse by making previously interesting characters into simple plot devices. I don't know if many people would honestly say that this game's "version" of Aqua or Namine was better than their original portrayals.

Some character flaws aside, I disagree. I think the ideas that Nomura has put forward and the way everything has tied together is honestly a work of genius.

If you want to ignore that this is largely a feminist issue in this thread fine. Im with EeL to be honest and I'd rather not talk about it anyway.

Characters act as plot devices all the time. In stories plot devices are necessary... to progress the story in a direction that it needs to go. I understand you don't like the way that a few plot devices were used in KH3, and I agree they could have been executed better - but they aren't as bad as you say they are. They don't ruin the characters and they haven't undermined the significance of the truly important parts of the story.

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Yes, I fully agree with you. And Aqua and Xion are two of my favorite characters as well. We could be best friends!

But I feel I do need to bring it up. Because the "damsal in distress" narrative is one of the biggest motivating factors for the protagonist in this series I love and it wouldn't work nearly as well without it. So a thread attacking that narrative as something inherently bad in the name of "2019" and "progress" is a terrible thing in my opinion; especially because they are not critiquing it as a valid element of the story, they are critiquing it merely for existing

Last edited:

Tempo

Awards
why do people keep coming into obviously feminist-leaning threads to complain about feminism
why do people keep coming into a KINGDOM HEARTS FORUM to complain about feminism
alexa kill this clown

Back