• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Will Disney/Disney Worlds be involved less going forward?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Will Disney and the respective worlds be involved less going forward

• Yes. Make way for the worlds of Square Enix!

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Nope. Disney will never allow a KH game to not include their properties as worlds.

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • A Better balance with Disney and FF.

Votes: 10 34.5%

• Total voters

mriku90

Awards
I've seen this debate going on that the next saga will focus more on SE properties and going to their worlds over Disney ones especially with the contents of the secret ending.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

While I would be down for anything, I do not think financially something like this will work. Kingdom Hearts has first and foremost always been a Disney game for 17 years, and I don't see that ever changing. After all, Sora and company are Disney properties, any original KH characters are owned by Disney.

Meeting the Disney characters and going to beloved Disney properties is a massive selling point of the series.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

I feel like after every title in this franchise some people always think that's the last of Disney in KH and I just don't think they understand how much financially the Disney aspect helps this series and attracts a new audience of players. I'm willing to bet that for many of people, the Disney aspect is what attracted people to this series. I have no shame in admitting it was absolutely what attracted me to it. Seeing Neverland and Agrabah in a commercial when I was 7 years old sealed it for me that I had to play this game.

My one desire is we get back to a fair balance between FF and Disney. FF/SE properties will never be the main course of the series and that's okay. But a better presence ala KH2 is what I hope for in the future but why toy with a formula that works especially when there's still tons of wonderful Disney properties to make into worlds?

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
The endgame was epic as hell but as is the case with the endgame of every KH I find myself asking the question "What does Disney have to do with any of this?" The series continues to have an oil & water problem with the meshing of Disney worlds & original characters. & it often creates pacing problems where the Disney worlds are largely filler or stalling for time until the finale.

I hate to say it, but this can't be resolved maybe the series would just be better off without Disney?

mriku90

Awards
The endgame was epic as hell but as is the case with the endgame of every KH I find myself asking the question "What does Disney have to do with any of this?" The series continues to have an oil & water problem with the meshing of Disney worlds & original characters. & it often creates pacing problems where the Disney worlds are largely filler or stalling for time until the finale.

I hate to say it, but this can't be resolved maybe the series would just be better off without Disney?

It's a double-edged sword though because to many the Disney aspect/worlds is one of the big reasons they play the series. I mean any time a new game is announced one of the first questions asked in the fandom is what Disney worlds will we go to this time?

Disney has always been the canvas where the story of KH is told.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
It's a double-edged sword though because to many the Disney aspect/worlds is one of the big reasons they play the series. I mean any time a new game is announced one of the first questions asked in the fandom is what Disney worlds will we go to this time?

Disney has always been the canvas where the story of KH is told.

Yeah, a KH without Disney would bomb in sales. The series is cursed with forever having an imbalance.

A thought: The Pixar seemed to give Square more leeway than main Disney (Galaxy of Toys is effectively an original world dressed up as a Disney world). What if KH4 was all Pixar? Would Square get more free reign then?

mriku90

Awards
Yeah, a KH without Disney would bomb in sales. The series is cursed with forever having an imbalance.

A thought: The Pixar seemed to give Square more leeway than main Disney (Galaxy of Toys is effectively an original world dressed up as a Disney world). What if KH4 was all Pixar? Would Square get more free reign then?

I don't see a KH game not having Disney properties. I see them including more Pixar but we'll definitely likely see Moana, Zootopia and others.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I don't think KH3 was imbalanced at all? Sure, most of the original plot happens in the original worlds, just like most all of the plot of Toy Story takes place in the Toy Story world. So what? They did a good job of checking in with all the various characters throughout and inbetween the Disney worlds, imo, which is the area where KH2 failed. Disney being minimized is a pipe dream for many fans.

All I hope for is the FF characters at Radiant Garden or TWEWY characters appear in the next game. That aspect of the games is the only thing not in KH3 that made the game feel odd and lacking.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Yeah I thought KH3 has been one of the best uses of the Disney stuff in a long time. As Tartarus said you had the check in scenes after every world too, but also, the Disney world plots fed back into the main plot. Xehanort takes the stuff he learned in Toy Box to apply to how they get their final darkness. Similarly, Dark Riku uses the stuff from BH6 for the Xehanort's plot, too. Vanitas uses the screams and negative energy from Monstropolis to help reform, etc. And similarly, Sora uses the stuff he learned from the Disney worlds and applies it to his story. I honestly thought they did a decent job and everything felt more tied together than past games.

Vivi-gamer

I can't see Kingdom Hearts continuing without Disney - It's teh foundation of the franchise and if anything in later additions to the series we've seen less of S-E material.

I think the abscene of FF characters in KH3 was too extreme - Especially the lack of a resolve in the Cloud v Sephiroth conflict.

But of course the ending really does hint at it, unless we're mention to interepretate Sora & Riku's arrival in Shibuya within our real world
Spoiler Spoiler Show

But if we're to take it as TWEWY (The 104 symbol being the key indicator) it could be a big hint to KH's new direction... I'm realyl not sure but I can't see KH existing without Disney at all.

mriku90

Awards
I don't think KH3 was imbalanced at all? Sure, most of the original plot happens in the original worlds, just like most all of the plot of Toy Story takes place in the Toy Story world. So what? They did a good job of checking in with all the various characters throughout and inbetween the Disney worlds, imo, which is the area where KH2 failed. Disney being minimized is a pipe dream for many fans.

All I hope for is the FF characters at Radiant Garden or TWEWY characters appear in the next game. That aspect of the games is the only thing not in KH3 that made the game feel odd and lacking.

Which is what I'm saying, I loved the Disney aspect in KH3. I thought each world was incredible and massive and fully explorable.

This is more in line with the people that somehow think the secret ending suggests no more visiting Disney worlds and instead visiting SE worlds.

And that is never going to happen. Disney owns Kingdom Hearts. They're not going to give Nomura the greenlight to make a game that does not include their properties as worlds. It will never happen.

If people think Disney is gonna go bye bye then say bye bye to Kingdom Hearts future cause Disney owns it and controls what happens next.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I feel like anyone claiming the KH3 Disney worlds were poorly integrated hasn't played the other games in a long time, lol.

If anything, after this game, I would think the future installments would have Disney worlds continue to be better written into the main story, hopefully with more original stories like Toy Box, Monstropolis and San Fransokyo have.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I think that KH3 tried to maintain what we know of Disney world involvement in the main story (from previous games) and also show us what can be done in the future.

Besides The Beast and Jack Sparrow in KH2, Disney characters NEVER even spoke with an original story villain like an Organization member or Xehanort's Heartless. I LOVED seeing Rapunzel talk to Marluxia, Mike/Sulley get rid of Vanitas etc.

I think that the issue with Disney's involvement with the main plot stemmed from KH1 where Disney was way more strict with their properties. If Disney sees how much money and love KH3 gets, they will definitely be more inclined to have Disney involved more.

The only issue I think they have with storytelling and the Disney worlds is HOW do you combine them. If you're in Arendelle and beat the boss there, how does the story continue from there? How do you complete the story in that world, while the main story villain is still on the loose? The solution to this would be having a more concise main story to tell. KH3 had it way easier than KH2, which is why the Disney worlds felt more integrated/crucial to the story's plot (or relevant to visit). KH3 was wrapping up the story, KH2 was introducing a whole load of new info that just could not mesh with the Disney worlds too well.

I think Nomura can learn from the last 3 games on how to integrate Disney and with Disney seemingly on board, we may get way more (and better) Disney involvement.

mriku90

Awards
I think that KH3 tried to maintain what we know of Disney world involvement in the main story (from previous games) and also show us what can be done in the future.

Besides The Beast and Jack Sparrow in KH2, Disney characters NEVER even spoke with an original story villain like an Organization member or Xehanort's Heartless. I LOVED seeing Rapunzel talk to Marluxia, Mike/Sulley get rid of Vanitas etc.

I think that the issue with Disney's involvement with the main plot stemmed from KH1 where Disney was way more strict with their properties. If Disney sees how much money and love KH3 gets, they will definitely be more inclined to have Disney involved more.

The only issue I think they have with storytelling and the Disney worlds is HOW do you combine them. If you're in Arendelle and beat the boss there, how does the story continue from there? How do you complete the story in that world, while the main story villain is still on the loose? The solution to this would be having a more concise main story to tell. KH3 had it way easier than KH2, which is why the Disney worlds felt more integrated/crucial to the story's plot (or relevant to visit). KH3 was wrapping up the story, KH2 was introducing a whole load of new info that just could not mesh with the Disney worlds too well.

I think Nomura can learn from the last 3 games on how to integrate Disney and with Disney seemingly on board, we may get way more (and better) Disney involvement.

I completely agree, I love the way Disney was handled in this and am excited for how the worlds are handled in the future. I would like more worlds in the next game though, but the 7 we did get are massive and huge and trump all the Disney worlds in KH2 combined.

I'm also glad that there's people that aren't foolish enough to think there's gonna be a KH title that focuses on SE instead of Disney, that is never gonna be the case. KH will always first and foremost showcase Disney as it's a Disney game.

Pokie

Oh frick, please no, keep the Disney within Kingdom Hearts, it's what makes the game/s shine.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
The beauty of KH to me was seeing Disney characters interact with outsiders from their film world. I kind of hope they take it to the next level in KH4, maybe have villains from other worlds fight in a world? Like how Maleficent was present in Agrabah in KH1, it would have been cool to have a team up fight with Jafar/Maleficent in Agrabah, then Maleficent could realize it was going south then leave the world which forced Jafar to wish himself to become a genie. Something like that.

I just want the Disney worlds to feel like they are a part of the main story and not just some side thing. I don't think that Disney worlds/events were even mentioned outside of their own world (before KH3). The only thing that I can remember was Sora asking Demyx if he was the guy from the Underworld in KH2. I would love to have Sora and others mention the characters from Disney worlds outside of the world, referencing the lessons/information they got from said worlds.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

mriku90

Awards
I hope they give us a better balance of the eras of Disney Worlds but I also know they're absolutely gonna include things like Moana, Zootopia, Incredibles, Coco etc which I'm fine with. And I also think they'll bring back Toy Story and Frozen with the new POH thing.

While I loved the 7 worlds we got a part of me thought there should have been at least 2 more for a total of 9, 100 Acre Wood was a joke and had no business being in the game with what we got from it.

I hope they increase the number of worlds in the next game.

A KH Game is not a KH game without the Disney Worlds.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I hope they give us a better balance of the eras of Disney Worlds but I also know they're absolutely gonna include things like Moana, Zootopia, Incredibles, Coco etc which I'm fine with. And I also think they'll bring back Toy Story and Frozen with the new POH thing.

While I loved the 7 worlds we got a part of me thought there should have been at least 2 more for a total of 9, 100 Acre Wood was a joke and had no business being in the game with what we got from it.

I hope they increase the number of worlds in the next game.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

mriku90

Awards
He is Sora. Walking into the meeting with a baseball cap pulled securely over his face and shorts with multiple belt buckles that stretch down to the middle of his shins, Tetsuya Nomura is a nearly a real-life reflection of the hero in both Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II. It’s not surprising, really. Out of all the characters Nomura has designed in his career at Square (which includes well-known faces from Final Fantasy VII to Final Fantasy X), the cheery keyblade-bearing youngster is at the top of his list. “Sora is my favorite character,” Nomura says. “[Kingdom Hearts] was the first game I directed, so I could give all the characters a fresh look even though there were some superiors involved [in the design process].”

Clearly, Nomura is excited about continuing directing duties for Kingdom Hearts II because it gives an opportunity to fix some of the problems with the previous game, as well as integrate features that originally didn’t make the cut. “The engine has been redeveloped,” Nomura explains. “I’m really proud of the enhanced battle system and that all of the characters have a serious role this time around.” Even the infamous Gummi Ship portion of Kingdom Hearts has been retooled for the sequel. “It was a good concept,” Nomura says, “but it’s completely new in Kingdom Hearts II. It’s more like an attraction or a ride.”

Nomura knows this experience is crucial to his career, but he relishes the opportunity to learn more about directing before moving on to other projects. But there’s a bittersweet side to his involvement with Kingdom Hearts II. “I love Sora, but it’s with a broken heart.” Nomura mutters out from underneath his hat.

Indeed, not unlike a parent giving a child up for adoption, Nomura has no control over Sora or any other original characters appearing in Kingdom Hearts. The contract between Square Enix and Disney gives almost full control of the Kingdom Hearts property over to Disney. If you happen to see Sora appearing outside of a game in a something like a cartoon, there’s very little chance Nomura is involved, but that doesn’t affect his excitement (or ours) for Kingdom Hearts II.

Nuff said Disney owns the rights to Sora, Riku, and Kairi and now

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Nuff said Disney owns the rights to Sora, Riku, and Kairi and now

Spoiler Spoiler Show

I guess that means there are no original worlds. All worlds are Disney worlds and almost all the characters are Disney characters.

mriku90

Awards
I guess that means there are no original worlds. All worlds are Disney worlds and almost all the characters are Disney characters.

Pretty much. The way to separate them is Disney Well known worlds from films and worlds original to KH but owned by Disney.

horto12485

Awards
I don't see Disney Leaving Kingdom Hearts behind besides if Kingdom Hearts goes on without Disney then it would flop without the Disney Stuff.

Back