• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Nomura discusses unlocking KINGDOM HEARTS 3's secret ending and future simultaneous releases

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
[URL='https://s.famitsu.com/news/201901/24170939.html']Famitsu[/URL] has conducted an interview with Tetsuya Nomura ahead of KINGDOM HEARTS 3’s release in Japan. In this interview, he discusses how to unlock the secret ending, writing the scenario and his decision to reconsider future simultaneous worldwide releases of his games as a result of the leaks. [B]Update: Famitsu has corrected their interview where Nomura was referring to including the series' customary Proud Mode. Critical Mode is not offered in Kingdom Hearts 3. We have updated translations accordingly.[/B] [CENTER][URL='https://images.khinsider.com/KINGDOM%20HEARTS%20III/Screenshots/Square%20Enix%20North%20America%20-%20September%2026%202018/18.png'][IMG]https://images.khinsider.com/KINGDOM%20HEARTS%20III/Screenshots/Square%20Enix%20North%20America%20-%20September%2026%202018/18.png[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER] Translations by [URL='https://twitter.com/_KH_ENGLISH']goldpanner[/URL]. [QUOTE] KINGDOM HEARTS III for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One is releasing January 25 2019. Director Tetsuya Nomura gave us some of his precious time during the busy pre-release period for an interview. --I actually did get to play a little of the game. There are so many different things to do! Even once you've cleared a world, you end up coming back just to explore and continue the minigames. The story itself hooks you in as all the pieces of the puzzle come together, it feels so good. It's too awesome for fans. [B]Nomura[/B]: Thank you. KH3 is, if I had to say, "the story of taking down Master Xehanort." As such, it is the conclusion of the Dark Seeker Chronicle, and serves as an emphatic piece of punctuation to the series. Many mysteries are resolved. --I'd like you to please explain some things about Sora's goals this time, for those who are about to play. First, tell us about the "power of awakening" that Sora needs in order to face up to Master Xehanort. [B]Nomura[/B]: It has a few special qualities, but to put it simply it's the "power to return hearts in abnormal states to what they were originally." It can "open that which is closed, and recover hearts from within." In KH3D, they opened a portal… or type of entryway to the sleeping realm, and visited each world. That was partially training in order to gain the "power of awakening." However, thanks to Master Xehanort interfering, Sora wasn't able to properly acquire the "power of awakening." As such, his goal at the beginning of KH3 is to recover that power. --So in order to gather the Guardians of Light, the people who will face against the darkness, he needs that "power of awakening." He has another goal: to bring Roxas back. But if Roxas has been absorbed into Sora, then how do you define "bringing him back?" [B]Nomura[/B]: It would be defined as resurrecting him as an independent individual with his own body. In KH2, it seemed as though Roxas returning inside Sora was the resolution to the whole thing. But after that, in KH3D, Sora came into contact with Roxas' heart and memories, and tells him that they are different and that Roxas deserves to be his own person. Sora thinks it is necessary to bring Roxas back because Roxas has his own heart, because there's someone waiting for him (Axel), and because now he wants his help as a Guardian of Light. --If KH3 marks a turning point in the series, that means the KH series is to continue, right? Even though many mysteries will be solved in KH3, will even more questions come about... [B]Nomura[/B]: Of course it will continue. KH3 is the conclusion of the Dark Seeker Chronicle, but it is not the conclusion of the KH series - including KH Union Cross. As for future ideas, I think you will find your imaginations ignited if you watch the epilogue (releasing Jan 26) and secret movie (releasing Jan 31) which shall cast a fortune for the future. --Will there be any conditions for watching the epilogue and secret movie? [B]Nomura[/B]: The epilogue will play after the ending. If you download it the day after release on the 26th, you'll be able to see it once you have cleared the game. The secret movie will be released on the 31st, and whether or not you will be able to unlock it will be related to how many "Lucky Marks" you've taken pictures of. --That's a collectibles component where you go around taking pictures of marks that look like the silhouette of the King (Mickey) using Sora's Mobile Portal, right? [B]Nomura[/B]: How many you need to get depends on the degree of difficulty you select at the start of the game. On the easiest mode, Beginner, you need all the marks. On Standard and Proud mode you can miss a few. You can get by on Proud mode with relatively few, but it's not all that strict on Standard mode either in my opinion. --Are there any other conditions? [B]Nomura[/B]: No, just the number of Lucky Marks you snap. This time I made it so people could see it without having to fulfil multiple conditions. --It sounds a lot easier than in previous titles. [B]Nomura[/B]: Yeah. Players have different needs these days, and I wanted to make it so as many people as possible would be able to watch them from playing by themselves. --Speaking of the difficulty levels, I found that on Standard mode I wasn't held up much in battle, and was able to progress quite smoothly. One reason was that the party AI is excellent, and they healed me a lot. [B]Nomura[/B]: We made the focal point of the battle gameplay the fun in the variety of things you can do, such as Keyblade transformations. Even though boss battles can be tough, we did our best to design levels that players wouldn't get stuck on. We did, however, include our customary "Proud" mode, as well as an ability that stops you gaining XP from the start, so I think people who like to do different kinds of runs will be satisfied. By the way, you can also change the settings of your party AI and stop them from healing you. --The play style really can be changed depending on each player's choices. [B]Nomura[/B]: Battle itself is full of options: Keyblade attacks, magic, and even situation commands that keep on coming. We created the gameplay, including for battle, under the concept of the fun of selecting from a wide range of choices. --Another large feature of KH3 is the many new worlds appearing. Which would you particularly like players to notice? [B]Nomura[/B]: Each world has things about it I'd like players to notice, but the one I'd most like everyone to take their time playing is the Caribbean (Pirates of the Caribbean), where you can enjoy battling by land, sea and air. I'd love for everyone to experience the exciting adventure of hopping aboard a ship and freely exploring the Caribbean Sea. The world with the most of my personal feelings in it is the Toy Box (Toy Story), I would say. You see, the premise of KH3 always included a Toy Story world in my mind. We began work on it in the very first stages of the project, and I wrote everything from the project to the scenario myself, with lots of consultations with Pixar. It left a deep impression on me. --You're writing the scenario yourself? [B]Nomura[/B]: When it comes to the scenario, including the script, in the end I write everything myself. That's not just for Toy Box. I haven't made this public before, but after KH2 generally everything was written by me, especially KH 358/2 Days. --I see. I had thought that you assemble the plot, and then the script and other small details were assigned to someone else. [B]Nomura[/B]: That is how it was in the beginning. However, ever since KH2, roughly speaking I will create the outline of the scenario myself, and then (Masaru) Oka will take that and create a springboard scenario, including dialogue, that takes into consideration requests from the level design team. Then after that, I write the final manuscript myself. That's the general flow. Other staff have worked on the scenario in the past, but the KH series lore is complicated, and when lots of people are involved it gets hard to keep everyone updated on it all. In the end, I'm the one with the best grasp on it, so that's why we ended up with the style we have today. --But, you haven't been credited with "Scenario" in the end credits in any of the titles so far. [B]Nomura[/B]: I get credited with "Story," so I guess it doesn't need to be said. Plus, I've been in the industry for a long time. I worried that if people were to go into things with the preconceived notion that "Tetsuya Nomura wrote this," it get in the way of their play, so I didn't make it clear. But the series is 17 years old now, and the fact that "an old dude is writing it" is simply the truth (dry laugh). I wrote this game myself too. I wrote all the text: not just the scenario, I even decide the item names myself. --Even the social media style loading screen? [B]Nomura[/B]: Oh, yes I did write that. There are a couple of patterns, including ones you see after clearing a world. There are some pretty casual hashtags and things, so I hope you look carefully while waiting for things to load. --By the way, speaking of item names, the weird name of the Toy Box Keyblade "Fave Deputy" piqued my interest. Didn't it have a different name before? [B]Nomura[/B]: Infinity Badge, the name you've seen before, was an in-development name. "Fave Deputy" is a shortening of "Favorite Deputy," from one of Woody's recorded voice box phrases, "You are my favorite deputy" (laughs). There was a character limit so I couldn't fit the whole thing in. --I wasn't expecting that! (Laughs). So, on top of keeping an eye on all the text, you and Mr. Oka are managing that complex scenario just the two of you? [B]Nomura[/B]: In a management sense, Oka has that spot. This time, I asked (Kazushige) Nojima as Supervisor to do the springboard for the flow from the last battle to the ending, and I also asked his advice whenever I was having trouble with something. We also had four coordinators who proof-read the scenario in the final stages of development to make sure our complicated scenario wasn't missing anything. Even so, that is a rather small number of people for the scale of this title. --I see. Moving on, I am interested in whether there will be any extra story or battles available as DLC after release. [B]Nomura[/B]: Right now, staff are taking a break and I can't speak of the details. Nothing has been decided, but if we do have paid DLC, I am thinking about offering one piece with deep content rather than several fragments of things. Also, I am also considering some free downloadable content separate to that. Well, I'd rather prioritize the next game than work on DLC for a long period. --The next game… of course! Now, the release date is nearly here. How are you feeling? [B]Nomura[/B]: I had expected to be able to relax, but I haven't been able to take a single break and I've been on my toes the entire time (dry laugh)? We even had some trouble when someone overseas obtained a ROM through dishonest means. --Is there anything you are able to say about that incident? [B]Nomura[/B]: The situation has left our hands now, and I can't speak in much detail about it, but… false information was going around and people were thinking that a large number of copies were circulating from many leak sources. In fact, we confirmed that it was limited to four copies, and there was only one leak source who was scattering information to make it seem as though there were many. I say it was only one, but thanks to that one, many people who were looking forward to KH3 were caused distress. It is a humongous shame. This incident proved that worldwide simultaneous releases are highly risky, and I feel obligated to reconsider them for any titles I am involved with in the future, at least for physical editions. --This incident was disappointing for fans, but I am sure everyone knows that it is nonsense to judge things based on rumours. The release date is upon us, and then all we will have to do is enjoy ourselves. [B]Nomura[/B]: I would like for everyone to play it and judge for themselves. Making this game fun was my number one priority when working on KH3. The staff have worked very hard in order to make every feature fun. I hope you explore and enjoy every inch of this game stuffed with fun things. [/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Re: Nomura discusses unlocking KINGDOM HEARTS 3’s secret ending and future simultaneous releases

1. Nomura, you frustrating man, there was the thief leaking content who stole copies, and then somebody who managed to get one of the copies and gave it to somebody who decided to leak it. THATS TWO PEOPLE. Why is the response to this “NO SIMULTANEOUS RELEASES EVER AGAIN”? That ain’t it, chief.

2. Oh, so I can blame Nomura for everything I dislike about KH and definitely everything in KH3 I know I’ll dislike c:

3. #yeahk whatever

God, I’ll never not be salty. I’m mad right now so I’ll come back and say something positive when I’m not heated.

Seadrin

Awards
Re: Nomura discusses unlocking KINGDOM HEARTS 3’s secret ending and future simultaneous releases

Thanks for the translations, Goldpanner!

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Hmm, on one hand I feel for Nomura and I dare to believe that he seriously means what he says, yet the situation with the leaks sounds like it wasn't handled too well.
Question is if it is really Square's fault or if the main blame really lies with the distributor who carelessly allowed one or several copies to be stolen.
This hasn't anything to do with if it is a worldwide simultaneous release or not.

The information about how the scenario writing goes is very interesting to read about, as it may deliver an explanation for several things that were amiss when it comes to story pacing, scenarios and dialogue in the whole series since KH 2 FM.

The story being about "taking down Master Xehanort" and serving an emphatic punctuation to the series so far, like a season finale of a series of multiple seasons, sounds pretty solid on paper but it will all depend on the execution of it.

It's neat to see him go into detail about the power of awakening in general though and giving an overview of one of its uses by using Roxas as an example.
It's much less vague than what is usual for Nomura so it is a welcome change of pace.
And it is made clear that it is specifically a "power" and not some special Keyblade as the old nomenclature of "Key to Return Hearts" might've implied.

I wonder what exactly Nomura knows about the severity of the leaks as he makes it sound as if only disjointed snippets or certain parts of the game were leaked even when not counting the Epilogue and Secret ending which are "leak safe" because interestingly Square at least seems to have been partly expecting such an incident.

---

Many thanks for the speedy translation again. ;D

Death

Your #1 Bruh

Well he said for physical editions. Nomura can follow the steps of the music industry and do Digital releases that are worldwide simultaneously and send out physicals maybe a week after I wouldn't mind that if it means the games get released world wide.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards

If pretty much every major studio can release games simultaneously without issues, the simultaneous release is not the problem here.

Excited to read Sora’s tweets though.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Well he said for physical editions. Nomura can follow the steps of the music industry and do Digital releases that are worldwide simultaneously and send out physicals maybe a week after I wouldn't mind that if it means the games get released world wide.

The problem is digital sales for games are not at a place where that is feasible. Physical sales still outnumber digital ones by a huge margin. It creates an unfair disadvantage to those who do not buy digital and it just means that people will get punished for waiting for a physical game by getting spoiled.

The problem was not the simultaneous physical release. Nintendo and other publishers have been able to accomplish this with no issues. This is just Nomura being extremely reactionary and misunderstanding the series of events that led to this leak.

okhi12

Awards
Re: Nomura discusses unlocking KINGDOM HEARTS 3�s secret ending and future simultaneous releases

So, future KH games may not have a simultaneous global release because of the leaks?
That does not make any sense, it wouldn't prevent anything. Nomura saying that only makes clear he only cares about Japan and he doesn't want japanese fans to be spoiled by people in the west. If the games are released in Japan months before and we fans from the west are spoiled months before we can play, he doesn't care. As much as I love KH, I can't help but have a very negative opinion about Nomura right know. For me that sounds like he blames all the western KH fanbase or even all the gaming community for some idiot who got the game early and started leaking, and we all should pay for it having delayed releases on the future. What an idiotic way to manage things, Nomura. Give us the middle finger. Greeeaaaat.
Sorry about this rant.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Re: Nomura discusses unlocking KINGDOM HEARTS 3�s secret ending and future simultaneous releases

In regards to DLC he mentioned the possibility of "one piece with deep content". I'm hoping that means a whole DLC episode in the vein of something from XV. Maybe something set in Radiant Garden

Also it cracks me up thinking of what Sora would tweet.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

In regards to DLC he mentioned the possibility of "one piece with deep content". I'm hoping that means a whole DLC episode in the vein of something from XV. Maybe something set in Radiant Garden

Also it cracks me up thinking of what Sora would tweet.

Certainly possible.
It would be the equivalent to the Final Mixes in the past, possibly also including all the stuff they were forced to cut due to both time constraints for the release and the year of development they lost due to the engine switch.

Considering how Sora handles a computer in II and technology in general it is surprising he would even know how to properly use this stuff so quick.

Blizzard-

Awards

I'd be more concerned about not having simultaneous releases in the future if they didn't try to not have it release simultaneously (kinda) this time around. If I remember correctly, didn't they plan for KH3 to have much more time between JP and global releases? Maybe that's what threw everything off in the first place; meaning copies might of sent out on a different timeframe then they planned originally. Someone higher up then Nomura must have made the call to release them together from a business perspective, so his opinions on the subject might not matter.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards

One bad apple ruins the bunch apparently.

I could not be more upset about these leaks. It's... terrible. And I knew this would rub Nomura and his team the wrong way. I don't like the idea of digital only releases because I can't download 30 something gigabytes worth of game. My internet is not fast enough, it would take me days and days. Maybe even a week.

And the leakers themselves, I don't get it. Why not just keep it to yourself? Why are you uploading them online? For attention? Must be. It really depresses me that I can't read theories or have fandom fun because I'm afraid I'll see something I don't want to see yet. I've never felt so distressed before the release of a KH game. I'm usually so excited, but it feels like an uphill battle. Leaks, the threat of no more global releases, the frustration that oozes from Nomura's words... urg

Last edited:

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

An option to stop party members from healing you, for those who want the true Kingdom Hearts experience.

"This incident proved that worldwide simultaneous releases are highly risky, and I feel obligated to reconsider them for any titles I am involved with in the future, at least for physical editions."

PUT THOSE WORDS BACK WHERE THEY CAME FROM, OR SO HELP ME!

That is complete bullshit and you seriously cannot honestly believe what you said, Nomura. Having a simultaneous release was NOT what caused this and you should be ashamed of yourself for saying such and wanting to punish fans for the actions of some losers.

I'm really fuming right now.

UltimaXOmega

And yet we're still waiting 4 days longer for no reason. RE2 is out tomorrow.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

It's so ridiculous to think of punishing the entire fanbase outside of Japan considering how significant the effort was on the part of the Western fans to avoid leaks and keep each other safe. I've never seen a fanbase so unified in an effort of that magnitude and to insinuate that effort was pointless, and we are all undeserving, because of under 10 assholes wanting their 15 minutes, is hurtful.

I can only imagine how Nomura feels, but the majority of the fans are right there with him. It's been a pretty painful effort to avoid any unwanted information and it's hugely disappointing this happened to THIS title. But that being said, it's still not right and I hope time changes his mind or Square doesn't agree.

bagcifreak

What a dumb comment from him tbh. He's acting like this is some common issue and that only people overseas are to blame. Someone in Japan could have stolen copies too. Also I highly doubt he has anything to say when it comes to releasedates. Simultaneous releases are almost a norm in this industry now. The only thing he could potentially do is delay the WW version by a week which is still annoying but honestly idc.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards

888.jpg

Nomura right now.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

888.jpg

Nomura right now.
The children of young to middle aged adults lol

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

It’s literally the worst decision that he could ever make. We aren’t those leakers, but I say diddly him if that’s what he really believes should happen. I’ve never seen such a blatant disregard for the western audience from Nomura and SE since the days of the FM games.

I take that back, UX Global has been an unmitigated disaster.

Even so, the problem came from a person with malicious intent, not the fans. We shouldn’t be punished for something a few idiots decided to do. That Japan-centric mindset doesn’t work for a global market, anyways. Its 2019. The series historicaly sells better in the west! Why would you slap the hand that feeds you?

UltimaXOmega

Thank God, I'll likely be in Japan by KHIV.

Back