• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts III Pre-Release Spoiler Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

On another note are we still doing the spoiler tag in a spoiler thread thingy? I never really understood the concept....

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Aqua being arrogant ... is something that was pretty in character since she always came off as pretty holier than thou in BBS, so I can buy her whole "too weak too often speech" before Vanitas.
There's a difference between believing in one's own moral superiority and being a braggart; Aqua was in many ways self-righteous throughout BBS but she never gave any indication that she saw herself as stronger or more capable than her friends, rather the opposite, her whole arc was about coming to accept her own strength and take on the mantle of Keyblade Master without equivocation. Again, we have to consider what is at stake here: this is not a 1v1 showdown where, if Aqua loses, it's her own heart on the line. She has been struggling to reunite with Ven and fulfill her promise to him for so long now that it simply is not believable that she would do anything to endanger that promise. She's not fighting for herself here, so it makes no sense that she would play it out as if this is "her" battle to win or lose. There's no reasonable explanation behind this except that they needed to set up Aqua to get rescued by Ven, which is exactly what happens.

Speaking of which
So she has the ability to create extremely strong, protective barriers which require incredible power to break through, buuut she just elects to take the full force of Vanitas's blast directly. Lol, OK. At least now we know that Aqua's weakness is apparently any and all projectiles; sure hope she doesn't have to face Xigbar over the course of this game or she's a goner for sure.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
On another note are we still doing the spoiler tag in a spoiler thread thingy? I never really understood the concept....

I thought that some people only wanted to know what worlds were in KHIII or something and that was why we were doing this? Honestly, if we get the word from upper-management, I wouldn't mind stopping. It is kind of annoying to click through them all.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Major major spoiler don’t read pls

Spoiler Spoiler Show

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
It's what happens when people who expect way too much don't get exactly what they want.
If your or anyone else here takes issue with the specific claims and arguments I've made, you're more than welcome to dispute them. I can't help you if you think that expecting basically intelligent writing, consistent characterization, and smart, effective narration is "way too much" for a KH game to handle.

doublerainbow

Awards
Yeah,I'm a fan of Aqua,but that was lame. The only good thing is Vanitas was hot as expected from the new engine.

The Sora kairi fruit scene is out lol. No kisses but it's mushy. Before the final battle. How do you spoiler tag?

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
So Kairi and Sora share the paopu fruit while Riku is brooding over by the seashore on DI. At least they acknowledge him but it's really a wasted opportunity to bring all three of them together to prepare for the final fight, and finally cement their shared friendship. Also Kairi saying, "This'll be our toughest fight yet" or whatever just rubs me the wrong way, as badly as I want for her to claim her status as a main character she has barely been present for most of the tough fights that have taken place, KH3 continues to sideline her role, and this "special bond" between her and Sora feels unearned because of it. I really love Kairi, I just can't stand her with Sora this way.

Also the game needs to stop playing the lip service game. "No, let me protect you" is meaningless when we already know Kairi gets snatched away so that Sora can be her hero yet again. It just adds insult to injury when the game pretends at integrating capable feminine roles.

Kirankrt

So far it really sounds like this game is lacking in the emotional connections between the characters

U.N. Owen

Awards
There's a difference between believing in one's own moral superiority and being a braggart

I'm sure showing off on how she could take down whatever Hades threw at her after benching Zack Fair would constitute being a braggart. Face it, Aqua is a reflection of her master's arrogance. Belief in superiority is bragging no matter what. Being patronizing is just another form of bragging.

Speaking of which
[spoilers]So she has the ability to create extremely strong, protective barriers which require incredible power to break through, buuut she just elects to take the full force of Vanitas's blast directly. Lol, OK. At least now we know that Aqua's weakness is apparently any and all projectiles; sure hope she doesn't have to face Xigbar over the course of this game or she's a goner for sure.

[spoilers]Of course projectiles are her weakness. It's the perfect set up for the keyblade swarms she has to probably face later on.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
So far it really sounds like this game is lacking in the emotional connections between the characters
It's resting on the presumption that we already care about the characters because of the previous games so we're going to spasm out every time we see two or more of them share screen time together.

Not quite. The scenes still need to make sense. The story has to build to those moments properly and do its due diligence so that the sentiment is earned. Right now it's all looking very rushed and contrived.

sorawild

If your or anyone else here takes issue with the specific claims and arguments I've made, you're more than welcome to dispute them. I can't help you if you think that expecting basically intelligent writing, consistent characterization, and smart, effective narration is "way too much" for a KH game to handle.

If you have been following this series for any lengthy period of time, you'd know that writing isn't exactly this series' strong suit. It's good with character to character moments but other than that this series has been lukewarm at best, middle schooler's fanfic at worst with its writing. If DDD was anything to go by, these writers have not been getting good at all, they have been progressively getting worse. I've been a big fan of this series since 2005 and even I gotta say, expecting good writing from this series is a bit too much. I came in with the expectation that KH3 was going to be Infinity War Square Enix Edition because it was blatantly obvious it was just going to be that.

Revenge

Awards
There's a difference between believing in one's own moral superiority and being a braggart; Aqua was in many ways self-righteous throughout BBS but she never gave any indication that she saw herself as stronger or more capable than her friends, rather the opposite, her whole arc was about coming to accept her own strength and take on the mantle of Keyblade Master without equivocation. Again, we have to consider what is at stake here: this is not a 1v1 showdown where, if Aqua loses, it's her own heart on the line. She has been struggling to reunite with Ven and fulfill her promise to him for so long now that it simply is not believable that she would do anything to endanger that promise. She's not fighting for herself here, so it makes no sense that she would play it out as if this is "her" battle to win or lose. There's no reasonable explanation behind this except that they needed to set up Aqua to get rescued by Ven, which is exactly what happens.

Speaking of which
So she has the ability to create extremely strong, protective barriers which require incredible power to break through, buuut she just elects to take the full force of Vanitas's blast directly. Lol, OK. At least now we know that Aqua's weakness is apparently any and all projectiles; sure hope she doesn't have to face Xigbar over the course of this game or she's a goner for sure.

Just cancel your preorder and shut the hell up. You've been nothing but complaining for probably the last 100 pages - do you not see how obnoxious that is? Don't bother typing an essay in response, I will not entertain it. It's just a JRPG, get a grip.

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Let me Face let me Face let me Face My fears Let me Face let me Face let me Face My fears Let me Face let me Face let me Face My fears Let me Face let me Face let me Face My fears Let me Face let me Face let me Face My fears Let me Face let me Face let me Face My fears Let me Face let me Face let me Face My fears Let me Face let me Face let me Face My fears Let me Face let me Face let me Face My fears Let me Face let me Face let me Face My fears Let me Face let me Face let me Face My fears Let me Face let me Face let me Face My fears Let me Face let me Face let me Face My fears

I just saw the gayblade and I can probably stop playing the game there and be happy.
Looking forward to this, lol. :cool:

I've only been glancing over what's been posted the past 3 pages, because I don't want to be know everything with an exactitude before playing and it is only a week now. (God forbid my game is delivered a day or two late... :X)

U.N. Owen

Awards
I honestly just expected Aqua to do another thing that impacts her negatively but she just doesn't really care.

It's not like that's ooc for her. Putting aside locking herself in the Realm of Darkness by not using gravity spells on Terranort, I'm going to fault her for forcing Ven to sleep in a chair rather than a bed as her biggest mistake.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I'm sure showing off on how she could take down whatever Hades threw at her after benching Zack Fair would constitute being a braggart. Face it, Aqua is a reflection of her master's arrogance. Belief in superiority is bragging no matter what. Being patronizing is just another form of bragging.
You are ignoring so much context in order to make your argument work:
First of all, Aqua doesn't even care about the Coliseum matches, she's only there to look for Ven and Terra and the moment she hears Terra might be somewhere else she plans to ditch the games and go look for him. This is proof positive that she places the interests of her friends first; proving her strength in the Coliseum is meaningless to her. It's only because Phil pleads with her to uphold his "reputation" that she agrees to "finish what [she] started" and face Zack in the ring, where she soundly defeats him. The situation with Hades carries another layer in that Zack had previously told her what Hades had tried to pull with Terra, so when Hades shows up Aqua is already aware that he's affiliated with the Darkness and she has a personal stake in taking him down, but more to your point Aqua does not "bench" Zack, Zack specifically goes to Aqua and tells [I]her[/I], "You've gotta avenge me and Terra." Zack removes himself from the match, either because of the rules of the games or because he knows he would be no match against Hades, but either way it's not Aqua who tells him to sit it out. It's disingenuous to assert that any of this signifies arrogance on Aqua's part.

Now, I agree with you that Aqua has internalized and frequently reflects the teachings of her Master, but you're erasing the nuance embedded within that shared quality between them. Eraqus's arrogance was not a question of physical mastery of anything, it was an expression of [I]spiritual[/I] superiority over others, such that Eraqus denies Terra the Mark of Mastery for allowing the Darkness to come through even for instant, while explicitly allowing for the fact that Terra is in every other way fit to be a Master. Aqua's inheritance of that belief system is not a matter of personal aggrandizement: she believes that the light, as a [I]universal[/I] quality (i.e. not something she alone has access to), is inherently good and something to be protected from the darkness at all costs. That's it. Because she believes in that so strongly, that does lead her to make mistakes in her zealous pursuit of her faith, but that doesn't lend to her characterization here as a showoff-- that runs explicitly contrary to the manner in which she has been portrayed throughout the series, including in the very scenes you cited.

Of course projectiles are her weakness. It's the perfect set up for the keyblade swarms she has to probably face later on.
Except that she canonically defends Terra against a swarm of Keyblades in BBS using a barrier not unlike the one she could have summoned to protect herself against Ansem SoD's or Vanitas's attacks. You just proved my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back