• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The FF6 vs. FF7 debate has to be one of the worst things to have ever happen in FF history

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

SquareDisney

The fans who get into arguments about which game is better (Final Fantasy VI or VII) have damaged the Final Fantasy fanbase really bad. These fans who argue about which game is better act like that VI and VII are the only Final Fantasy games in the series (when in fact that there's A LOT MORE games).

These fans also get into arguments about which villain (Kefka from FF6 or Sephiroth from FF7) is better. And those fans also act like Kefka and Sephiroth are the only villains in the series (when in fact that there's A LOT MORE villains).

I wish that the Final Fantasy fanbase wasn't as divisive as it is.

TheMostRad

As someone who's dipped his toes into the waters of these arguments in the past, I feel that your statement may be a tad hyperbolic.

Across the entire fanbase, there's going to be a lot of different opinions over which FF each fan holds up as their favorite, and that's okay. Everyone's got an opinion that they're perfectly entitled to. However, it can't be denied that FF7 was effectively a blockbuster as far as video games went, and it cast a tall, tall shadow that's been hard for the rest of the franchise to escape, which is why it draws the ire of various other fans who hold up other entries as their favorite.

One can hope that the debates get less vitriolic as we all get older and wiser.

Plus, if you want to talk about "one of the worst things to have ever happen[ed] in FF history", let me tell you a little tale of an ol' PS2 "Greatest Hit" called "Dirge of Cerberus"...

sephydark

Awards
I feel like that specific rivalry was caused in large part by FF6 fans picking fights with FF7 because it was the most popular (though I'm not saying FF7 fans couldn't be obnoxious too, I just think that it was a less targeted obnoxiousness). I imagine that now FF6 tends to rank over 7 in lists of the best games ever it's going to face a similar backlash and maybe there'll be an awful rivalry between FF6 and whatever the next fandom darling is.

For me, however, what I really hate in the FF fandom is how every time a new game comes out there's always a segment of the fanbase that has to very loudly hate on it, act annoying to fans, and declare that the series is ruined now and hasn't been good since some previous game.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
For me, however, what I really hate in the FF fandom is how every time a new game comes out there's always a segment of the fanbase that has to very loudly hate on it, act annoying to fans, and declare that the series is ruined now and hasn't been good since some previous game.

This is practically a running gag about the entire FF fandom by now.
The newest game is always the baddest one with the one beforehand then declared as at least "almost bearable" compared to the newest entry.
Then there are those so-called "old school" veteran FF fans who are always complaining about their turn-based battle system, open world map, controllable airship and job system not being in the newest entry and as such all FFs newer as either one of the "old guard" (mainly the original NES and SNES titles) are "garbage" or not "true FFs".
Those tend also to be the loudest badmouthing voices around because they don't get their nostalgia-tinted expectations fulfilled time and time again.

Then in other corners you have the FF VI stans, the FF VII stans and to a lesser extent the FF X stans and intermixed in those groups are those to which every FF after either VI, VII or X is garbage, with IX sometimes made out to be an exception because of its music or better homage to older titles.

It's due to all of these issues that I've by now effectively given the middle finger to the FF fandom as a whole and enjoy all the FF titles in my own pace without giving a damn about the whiny fanbase and their petty flame wars about individual titles.
It is a safe bet to say that the very same things will happen again with both the FF VII remake as well as an eventual FF XVI.

sephydark

Awards
This is practically a running gag about the entire FF fandom by now.
The newest game is always the baddest one with the one beforehand then declared as at least "almost bearable" compared to the newest entry.
Then there are those so-called "old school" veteran FF fans who are always complaining about their turn-based battle system, open world map, controllable airship and job system not being in the newest entry and as such all FFs newer as either one of the "old guard" (mainly the original NES and SNES titles) are "garbage" or not "true FFs".
Those tend also to be the loudest badmouthing voices around because they don't get their nostalgia-tinted expectations fulfilled time and time again.

Then in other corners you have the FF VI stans, the FF VII stans and to a lesser extent the FF X stans and intermixed in those groups are those to which every FF after either VI, VII or X is garbage, with IX sometimes made out to be an exception because of its music or better homage to older titles.

It's due to all of these issues that I've by now effectively given the middle finger to the FF fandom as a whole and enjoy all the FF titles in my own pace without giving a damn about the whiny fanbase and their petty flame wars about individual titles.
It is a safe bet to say that the very same things will happen again with both the FF VII remake as well as an eventual FF XVI.

Yeah, and this has been going on since before I played my first FF game. And I know I should just avoid it, but every now and again I'm like "it can't be that bad" and have to learn my lesson all over again. Or I want to look at info about the FF7 remake; that game seems to bring out the worst in everyone.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Yeah, the "turn based or bust" crowd is really the worst. Gatekeeping in general is bad, but I feel like they take it to the next level.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Yeah, I do feel this is being blown a bit out of proportions.
All fandoms have these recurring themes in some way or another, it's basically unavoidable when one pours so much feelings into a product only to find someone else with the same exact amount of emotions into a completely different outlet, ensuing the flame wars and clashes between factions.
This will keep happening as long as fandoms will keep being left to their own devices, with no one to look into the matter except to bring them back just to complain about how bad they are.

This is hardly any different than "KH II system vs command system", "Faulkner music vs original score", and so many other examples. Just the other day I've found out there are clan wars over this or that Dragon Ball manga artist. I don't think they are the worst thing that ever happened to their respective medium.
Heck, I think "fandoms are ok vs fandoms are the scourge of the Earth" is another fitting example.
At the end of the day you can just accept that someone will feel differently from you and that their complaints doesn't take anything away from your own taste and enjoyment of the same product. Don't go where people say something that really bothers you, and don't engage with them on that subject if you feel you or them can't handle a civil and productive exchange. I avoid any video about something I like labeled "[Name]: why it SUCKS" for this very reason.

Onto this specific subject: Final Fantasy applied sometimes drastic changes and the saga carried itself over many years, years in which players, directors and the videogame industry changed. It's only logical that there will be some people that love an FF titles while hating another one, I'm not an exception: the FF XIII trilogy represents to me one of Square's most colossal failures, with close to none redeeming features whatsoever. It's one (but not the only) reason why I refer to that period as the videogames' Middle Age. I would definitely put it above the FF VI - FF VII debate as some of the worst things to have ever happened in my personal list, lol.
You don't have to come shouting at me about how wrong I am: some people love it, some people think it's the best FF ever. It's cool.
It's also cool if you think my favourite titles (IV, VII, IX) are the worst of the franchise, and I'm willing to go over their many flaws. None of this really damages my relationship with the series as a whole.
In order to engage with people and fandoms you'll have to come to term that the mere concept of someone liking or disliking something shouldn't bother you.

I know it's not easy, btw. I'm not saying "come on, you should do this, DUH": just looking at, well, the Internet it's pretty self-explanatory how this is absurdly hard to do for some.
And people will do much more than just stating their opinion, in many instances they will manifest their worst behaviour. All the same: try and learn to ignore them. The only other route would be trying to force them to think that way, and before being morally debatable that's just impossible to do.
BTW, this should go without saying, but that doesn't mean you should ignore anyone who has a different opinion either: discourse is at its best when made by people with different viewpoints who can engage in thoughtful discussion. Just ignore those people (or those opinions) that you think you cannot handle. Your well-being is worth way more than trying to establish where a videogame ranks.

Pokie

I feel like that's a bit unfair to say. Each Final Fantasy is going to be a tad different, so not everybody is going to enjoy it and not everybody is going to enjoy it. If you enjoyed the Final Fantasies up to current one and the newer one comes out and it feels disappointing and changed "for the worst ", you are going to feel a bit bitter and sour.

I went through this with the vanilla FF12. ( Zodiac Age made the game a bit more fun and tolerable imo )

You have a right to not like the newer/ current Final Fantasy and feel like the series has gone downhill. It just means that you love Final Fantasy and you are worried about its future. Also, those complaints are usually with what? FFX, FFXII, FFXIII, and FFXV?

FFX and FFXIII are heavily linear and remove the open-world and X takes away the controllable Airship. That's going to annoy and disappoint some people.

FFXII feels like an offline RPG, and feels more like a WRPG- that's going to annoy and disappoint some people.

FFXV cuts away characters from the main story on purpose, just so there's some DLC. That's going to annoy and disappoint some people.

"This happens with every new Final Fantasy! "

Well, no kidding? Final Fantasy is always experimenting, and some of those experiments are going to annoy and disappoint some people.

Last edited:

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
You have a right to not like the newer/ current Final Fantasy and feel like the series has gone downhill.

No one has a problem with people not liking the direction the series is taking. The issue is that some people just love to complain and rain on other people's parade. Just because you're disappointed doesn't mean everyone else is, and you don't get to be the gatekeeper of what it means to be a "true" FF fan.

Pokie

No one has a problem with people not liking the direction the series is taking. The issue is that some people just love to complain and rain on other people's parade. Just because you're disappointed doesn't mean everyone else is, and you don't get to be the gatekeeper of what it means to be a "true" FF fan.

Oh, I get what you mean now.

I was watching Vinny/ Vinesauce play through Lets Go Eeeve, and I think he said it way better. " You are free to like something, you are free to dislike something- just don't be a dick about it ".

sephydark

Awards

Right. I don't like FF XII either, but I'm not going around telling fans they're wrong. However when it turned out that I did like XIII, it was actually really hard for me to find somewhere to discuss what that game did well without someone barging in to say how awful it was. Someone not liking a game doesn't mean that it's okay for them to harass those who did, and often these people like to imply that fans of the game they disliked all started with that game and aren't "real" FF fans, which is both insulting and often wrong.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Indeed, people with real taste know that FF5 is superior to both.

Pokie

Indeed, people with real taste know that FF5 is superior to both.

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back