• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Riku and his dark powers...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Org13Reject

So I learned from CoM, which I recently beat, that Riku has a pretty good grasp on his dark powers, and he can use said powers while still retaining his normal appearance. My question is, why does he take on the appearance of Ansem after/ during his fight with Roxas?

I'm confused :-(

Also, does Riku (as of KH3) still have darkness in him? Or has he done away with that side of him completely?

Somebody help!

raccoonscity

Website
raccoonscity.tumblr.com
So I learned from CoM, which I recently beat, that Riku has a pretty good grasp on his dark powers, and he can use said powers while still retaining his normal appearance. My question is, why does he take on the appearance of Ansem after/ during his fight with Roxas?

Ansem represents the Darkness in Riku's Heart, and he's still locked away inside him. Riku uses that darkness, and as a side effect, takes his form.

Also, does Riku (as of KH3) still have darkness in him? Or has he done away with that side of him completely?

Yes. Everyone, save for the 7 princesses and Ventus, have darkness in them. You can't just "do away with it" (even though this is kind of what Xehanort did to Ventus, he nearly died and it created the Unversed from Vanitas). Riku accepts his darkness in KH2 and DDD, but never does away with it and continues to use darkness and light based attacks in gameplay. This is what he means by "road to dawn" -- using light and darkness because just one or the other doesn't suit him.

HK Motendra

Awards
Riku accepts his darkness in KH2 and DDD, but never does away with it and continues to use darkness and light based attacks in gameplay. This is what he means by "road to dawn" -- using light and darkness because just one or the other doesn't suit him.

I was under the impression that he consumed the darkness within him at the end of DDD (or rather, the darkness that is Ansem SoD to be precise)

D

Deleted member 246005

I'm confused :-(

Somebody help!

I thought him getting stuck as the seeker of darkness was a sign that he lost control and it overpowered.

Right now i feel like he probably has better control so it won't happen again.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
It is literally explained in KH 2 itself when Mickey talks with Ansem the Wise:

Mickey: Gosh, we didn't lose each other exactly. Riku left...well, 'cause
Xehanort's Heartless was still inside his heart, troubling him. And he sure
must've been suffering. But what I don't understand is why he looks like that
now, when he's still Riku at heart...

Ansem the Wise: I am to blame. When I met Riku the first time he still had the
appearance of a boy. Probably because he had such a strong heart. I asked him
to find a young man named Roxas from Organization XIII, and bring him to me.
When I told him it would help Sora awaken from his slumber, Riku left without a
word. He fought Roxas. And I can only surmise Riku lost that fight. Riku must
have realized then: to fight in the realm of darkness, he would have to immerse
himself in that same darkness. And when he did...you saw what became of him.

When Riku brought Roxas back to me, he was introducing himself...as Ansem. If
that was what it took to awaken his friend, he was ready to live in darkness.
Riku was the victim of my revenge. ...Oh, how my heart ached. I could only
laugh to hide my shame.

What basically happened is that Riku realized he couldn't overcome Roxas with his own power, so he had to "cheat" and rely on the dark powers within him (which include a part of Xehanort, Ansem SoD) to come out on top.

He also states it himself:
Riku: All right. You've left me with no other choice.

Roxas: What?

Riku: I have to release the power in my heart--

(He stands up)

Riku: The dark power that I've been holding back.

(He takes off his blindfold and lets it fall to the ground)

Riku: Even...if it changes me forever.

D

Deleted member 235902

Sometime after Chain of Memories, even though Riku seemingly got a hold of the darkness within him, he realized that he couldn't completely rid himself of the darkness inside of him. And his body took the form of Ansem, Seeker of Darkness.

He's able to subdue the form and retain the appearance of himself, but in order to overpower Roxas at the end of 358/2 Days, he decides to let the form of Ansem, Seeker of Darkness consume him and permanently transform into that form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back