• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Do u think KH series'd turn out to be different if it didn't get so popular? Do u WISH it did?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Do u think KH series'd turn out to be different if it didn't get so popular? Do u WISH it did?

• no and yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no and I dunno

• I dunno and yes

• I dunno and no

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enturax

Awards
And by that I mean everything - worlds, plot and its length, gameplay, the amount of characters and the way they are used, etc.
If the series didn't get so popular, I think there would be no Coded (probably not even DDD and its time traveling idea; the Mark of Mastey would probably just be a beginning sequence for KH3), the MMO ones, Lea wouldn't have a Keyblade or be relevant (if he'd be alive, at all), and KH3 wouldn't bring back so many old characters (some of which should be dead, BTW).

And I wish there was no MMO games which needlessly expand the universe adding new characters and kinda losing focus from the main plotline. I also wish, or more like HOPE, that Square using old characters in KH3 doesn't only do that for fanservice and they actually have some thought through plans for them that won't ruin their previous performances in the games.

NOTE: I didn't give an option like "it depends on the changes..." because almost everyone would take it :rolleyes:

EDIT: I guess it'd be good to mention after which entry the changes'd appear... After BBS I guess.

Last edited:

Nukara

Awards
The fact is that Roxas, Namine, Xion are not really dead. Yes, and Nomura explained the reason why he gave Lea keyblade. In general, if you sum up this series of games have problems, but still the dignity exceeds the shortcomings.

Enturax

Awards
I didn't mean them, I meant the org. members, Vanitas, etc.

I don't remember his explanation or I missed it, then.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
If it didn't get popular, it simply wouldn't have continued. It would have ended and no more games would have been made. Those story elements you refer to, those didn't happen because the games were popular, they happened because that's where they decided to take the story.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I do wish it had been just successful enough to continue without blowing up as much as it has. It's hard to say if popularity is entirely to blame for gradual changes (for the worse) in the story over time, but at least they wouldn't have had the financial incentive to drag on and on across platforms for easy cash-ins before finally picking up from the end of KH2 if the series hadn't been popular. *shrug*

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
It’s so strange to me because I grew up in a place where I was one of very few who knew and appreciated Kingdom Hearts, so I’ve never seen it as that popular of a franchise. It’s nice to know there is such a large fan base. However, I do find myself in the dilemma that the more I engage with the fan base, the more magic I lose from personal experience with the game. I have things that I interpret one way, but the fandom has a collective head canon that sees it a different way.

So in a way, I miss the days when it was just me and KH in our own world where I could make it what I wanted it to be. But at the same time, I enjoy seeing how different people experience the game even when their experience with the game is different.

Zyrax

I do wish it had been just successful enough to continue without blowing up as much as it has. It's hard to say if popularity is entirely to blame for gradual changes (for the worse) in the story over time, but at least they wouldn't have had the financial incentive to drag on and on across platforms for easy cash-ins before finally picking up from the end of KH2 if the series hadn't been popular. *shrug*

Pretty much this. I was active throughout the series until 2015/16. Liked almost everything with some minor flaws, but really thought that DDD on the whole was a little bit of a drag and posed more questions (time travel...) than it answered. Now that I'm back, I have to say that this whole mobile/ browser game thing with important plot-points (Ventus, Lauriam and much more) really annoys me. On top of that the fanbase that got quite worse compared to a few years ago and calls everyone who criticizes DDD and the browser/ mobile game a "wannabe fan, who is not a true fan and does not even bother to understand the story"... Now I can really understand the people who are annoyed by all those "spin-off handhelds" (more of those on reddit than here).

Amadeus

Awards
I think if the series hadn't become popular, they just wouldn't have made as many games. Nomura has a crazy kudzu plot growing in all directions, but he seems to be confident that he knows what's going on. I actually enjoy every game for different reasons, but I really dread KH4 or whatever will come after 3 because that's where I feel like it's going to be a drag. KH is mostly popular for it characters, not its plot. The same goes for Mass Effect, doubly so because every player made different choices and the characters were the only constants in everyone's games (save for the ones that can permadie). Once Andromeda rolled around, people were so attached to Shepard and their crew that taking those characters away made the game not feel like Mass Effect anymore for many. I know the team was trying to expand on the universe created in the original 3 games, but it tanked to the point that MEA's planned story expansion dlc is being released as a book. I'm afraid that KH4 will either pander too much and throw Sora or another character that earned their happy ending into a crazy journey with some hokey excuse for how light and dark have become unbalanced or whatever after KH3 fixed the universe. The other extreme is that KH4 will be so far removed from the Dark Seeker saga that it won't feel like KH anymore. In both cases whatever comes after KH3 will seem like a cash grab (which it most definitely will be) and won't feel like a genuine addition to the series. As much as I love KH and wish for it to continue, I don't want to see it devolve into a purely fan-serving series, which, with its plethora of characters, it has a huge potential to be. The games as they are now are fine; I'm mostly worried about the future past KH3.

Enturax

Awards
It’s so strange to me because I grew up in a place where I was one of very few who knew and appreciated Kingdom Hearts, so I’ve never seen it as that popular of a franchise. It’s nice to know there is such a large fan base. However, I do find myself in the dilemma that the more I engage with the fan base, the more magic I lose from personal experience with the game. I have things that I interpret one way, but the fandom has a collective head canon that sees it a different way.

So in a way, I miss the days when it was just me and KH in our own world where I could make it what I wanted it to be [...]

That's a very good point. I think a lot of people can relate to it, actually.

I think if the series hadn't become popular, they just wouldn't have made as many games. Nomura has a crazy kudzu plot growing in all directions, but he seems to be confident that he knows what's going on. I actually enjoy every game for different reasons, but I really dread KH4 or whatever will come after 3 because that's where I feel like it's going to be a drag. KH is mostly popular for it characters, not its plot. The same goes for Mass Effect, doubly so because every player made different choices and the characters were the only constants in everyone's games (save for the ones that can permadie). Once Andromeda rolled around, people were so attached to Shepard and their crew that taking those characters away made the game not feel like Mass Effect anymore for many. I know the team was trying to expand on the universe created in the original 3 games, but it tanked to the point that MEA's planned story expansion dlc is being released as a book. I'm afraid that KH4 will either pander too much and throw Sora or another character that earned their happy ending into a crazy journey with some hokey excuse for how light and dark have become unbalanced or whatever after KH3 fixed the universe. The other extreme is that KH4 will be so far removed from the Dark Seeker saga that it won't feel like KH anymore. In both cases whatever comes after KH3 will seem like a cash grab (which it most definitely will be) and won't feel like a genuine addition to the series. As much as I love KH and wish for it to continue, I don't want to see it devolve into a purely fan-serving series, which, with its plethora of characters, it has a huge potential to be. The games as they are now are fine; I'm mostly worried about the future past KH3.

That's true. BTW Nomura said he is ALREADY hyped for the future of the series and that KH3 will be not much in compariosn to it... *gulp*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back