• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

So, Placing a Timing of Xbox One &/or Switch Versions of the Collections & III...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Scsigs

So, I saw Cynical's/TheGamersJoint's video on how Square intends to catch newbies up on Kingdom Hearts, but there was one giant elephant in the room he didn't talk about. The Xbox One version of III!

Now, it may be a divisive topic amongst more hardened KH fans, Playstation fanboys, etc, but I firmly believe Namura, after finishing KH3, will devote time & resources at Square to port the 1.5, 2.5, & 2.8 Collections over to the Xbox One &, possibly, the Switch (along with 3 for the Switch). The question would have to be, though, is on the timing. As we all know, hopefully, Square Enix isn't a console-exclusive company, nor have they ever been. They've just gone with hardware specs, which, for the longest time, was Playstation. Ever since FF7, they've published their games to Playstation. After the Xbox 360 came out, they've published games to that system as well. However, Nintendo's been pretty restricted to their handhelds, which makes sense. However, with the advent of the Switch, Square could take advantage of the people who love to play console games on the go. They would also most likely want to still hit a lot of players on another console family, which would allow for a port to the console. Frankly, I'm surprised that that wasn't the plan already. Some people have tried to convince me that it was due to the earlier games being console exclusive, but that just doesn't add up whatsoever under scrutiny. There's also the old chestnut of the fact that to understand ANYTHING in KH, you NEED to play through the installments as they were released. So, making sure a port of the collections come out for Xbox One as well after 3 wraps development is best both for business & new players' sakes of wrapping their heads around this mess.

Now, when could it be done? If they weren't so involved with FF7's remake, I'd think they could set aside some developers to port the games to the system for a summer 2018 release by now with Namura supervising it, or hire another company to do it for them, again, with Namura supervising. If we go by what Namura has said towards these possible ports himself, they'd most likely get around to it after III's development wrapped, which will most likely take until towards the end of the year. Though, given the latest development with James Woods letting it slip that the voice acting for the English dub is under way, it seems that they'll be done quicker than we previously thought.
So, if all they have to do is playtest & polish the game more, then most of the dev team won't be necessary or won't be working on the game too much longer, so the port could still happen within that timeframe. Any earlier & we run the risk of something similar to what happened with 1.5+2.5 a year ago, where the 60fps patch caused terrible physics problems, where the games could need several patches to run properly, which wouldn't exactly be very good for business. Any later than that & Square could run the risk of competing with themselves, since they have 3 games coming out later this year, with Tomb Raider & Dragon Quest XI, which are scheduled for September, & KH3, as well as 5 other games, some of which are just for the Switch (including The World Ends With You's port, which I really don't get why it's just for the Switch). Either it comes out BEFORE KH3, which could be done if they put the right amount of manpower behind it, or in 2019, which could be the more likely option.
So, when could they release it in 2019? Well, that all depends on when they release KH3. Since they have yet to actually announce the release date, my guess is that it'll come out either in October, November, or December. Most likely sometime in November, since October probably might not be the best month to release the game, plus Black Friday & Christmas shopping & all that. My best guess is early or mid November at the earliest for 3. Then they can release the collections 2 years directly after they released the PS4 ports, in January &/or March 2019, which wouldn't be too bad. However, there IS another option...
Release the Collections either slightly ahead of, or at the same time as 3. This could be doable & would make sure everybody who's never played the previous games, or the people that have, get them on the Xbox One to play beforehand to understand the storyline. I mean, that was basically the conceit of putting them on PS4 in the first place.

What could be the answer?

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
If anything gets ported to the Xbox after the fact it will likely depend entirely on how will KH3 sells on the Xbox first.

Scsigs

If anything gets ported to the Xbox after the fact it will likely depend entirely on how will KH3 sells on the Xbox first.
But, if Square want to maximize the playerbase, and potential buyers, the prudent move would be to port the collections to Xbox.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
KH3 won't come to Switch, and I doubt the collections will either, but I wish the collections would! Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 on my long commute sounds like some funnnnn

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
But, if Square want to maximize the playerbase, and potential buyers, the prudent move would be to port the collections to Xbox.
You'd think so, but they've made it clear that they don't really care about bringing their JRPG's to that platform anymore. KH3 was only sent there because of how uncertain this generation would go, but Type-0 HD and FFXV pretty much flunked in comparison to PS4. It's a surprise that the Xbox One port wasn't cancelled, all things considered.

Nomura has said that if it were to ever happen, it would be after Kingdom Hearts 3's release. Xbox fans need to make peace that the collections are not going to that platform any time soon and should seek alternate arrangements to get caught on the series - provided there is not proper recap in KH3.

Scsigs

KH3 won't come to Switch, and I doubt the collections will either, but I wish the collections would! Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 on my long commute sounds like some funnnnn
Yeah, I don't expect Switch ports either. Yet, some people say they'd like Switch ports rather than even Xbox ports, which I don't get whatsoever. Either they should be on every console, or just the more popular ones. Nintendo isn't really any competition anymore, since they appeal mostly to their fanbase. I doubt there's enough Switch users to really justify ports at the moment, but I wouldn't object to them. Xbox ports are just more likely, though.

You'd think so, but they've made it clear that they don't really care about bringing their JRPG's to that platform anymore. KH3 was only sent there because of how uncertain this generation would go, but Type-0 HD and FFXV pretty much flunked in comparison to PS4. It's a surprise that the Xbox One port wasn't cancelled, all things considered.

Nomura has said that if it were to ever happen, it would be after Kingdom Hearts 3's release. Xbox fans need to make peace that the collections are not going to that platform any time soon and should seek alternate arrangements to get caught on the series - provided there is not proper recap in KH3.
That's really a pessimistic attitude to take for Xbox ports of their games. Yes, he said that they'd come after KH3, but he didn't say it wasn't possible. Hell, I'd say it's even MORE likely than not. Namura & Square have shown that they WANT Xbox players in their buyer base. I seriously doubt they haven't tossed around the idea of Xbox ports of the collections as just a joke. The Xbox port cancellation in Japan makes sense, since that's a poorer-selling console family over there. Here in America, I'd think that it wouldn't matter, since Xbox has a devoted fanbase. Personally, I'm surprised that the HD ports already didn't come out for Xbox when the 360 was still supported with the PS3 & was the most popular console of the 7th generation. I'm also surprised that 1 & 2 didn't come to the GameCube years ago. Since Microsoft have gotten things back on track with a better version of their console, I don't think it's bad for Square to still publish to it. I mean, Square & Disney go where the money is & there's more money to be made WITH Xbox than not. Even if they just do digital releases, that's better for them than nothing. Especially since Microsoft is diversifying their exclusives outside of Halo & Forza. All they need to do is market the game to Xbox fans effectively, which I don't think they've been doing. They even have a working relationship with Microsoft, since they helped them publish Rise of the Tomb Raider, so I don't get this forced negativity. Even if you're trying to be realistic, that's a hell of an outlook on a series that should be played by more people than it currently is, especially one that's heavily reliant in continuity.

Instead of thinking Xbox won't get the collections, why don't you join the cause? All consoles & PC should get games that aren't exclusives, regardless of sales, especially with a series that's as prolific & old as Kingdom Hearts. Final Fantasy XV, from what I can tell, was very divisive & Type-0 was a port of a PSP game, so any poor sales, especially on a series that's not marketed too much to Xbox players compared to Playstation. The series could do really well on both & I don't see why it shouldn't be on both.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
That's really a pessimistic attitude to take for Xbox ports of their games. Yes, he said that they'd come after KH3, but he didn't say it wasn't possible. Hell, I'd say it's even MORE likely than not.
I never said it wasn't possible either. Square Enix Japan and Nomura (seriously, his name is NOT Namura) had the perfect opportunity to bring the series to Xbox last year but they made a conscious decision not to. They follow trends and market research better than any fan could and it is clear that there is not enough demand to warrant a port. It could cost them nothing and require very little man power to get those ports out as well, so don't take this out on me. Take this out at the corporation that is actively deciding not to publish their games for Xbox.

Namura & Square have shown that they WANT Xbox players in their buyer base.
Any examples? I can't think of any Nomura directed games that released on the Xbox in recent years, and the only one that is coming up is Kingdom Hearts 3. As for Square Enix, only Final Fantasy XV and its DLCs have released on Xbox. I'm looking at the European Press Site now which lists recent and upcoming games with the platforms they are coming to. Out of the nineteen games listed there, there are five scheduled for Xbox. Two of them are Final Fantasy XV and the Episode Ignis DLC. The third is Kingdom Hearts 3. The last two are Life is Strange: Before the Storm and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. The other 14 games are coming to PC, PS4, and/or Switch. It is clear that his company sees more worth in developing for those platforms for their Japanese games.

I mean, Square & Disney go where the money is & there's more money to be made WITH Xbox than not.
This is not something you can speak with certainty about because if they was money to be made with Xbox ports then they would have done exactly that last year. It is not a priority right now, or even this year, to get these games out on Xbox or Switch. The clear focus for Nomura and Square Enix is to finish Kingdom Hearts III for both PS4 and Xbox before deciding if they want to even bother with releasing the collections on those platforms, and with the Switch selling like hotcakes in Japan and overseas, it is more likely for that console to get ports over Xbox (Nintendo also has a history with being the home to several Kingdom Hearts games).

They even have a working relationship with Microsoft, since they helped them publish Rise of the Tomb Raider, so I don't get this forced negativity. Even if you're trying to be realistic, that's a hell of an outlook on a series that should be played by more people than it currently is, especially one that's heavily reliant in continuity.
I'm not forcing any negativity. It is well-documented just how bad of a decision it was for Microsoft to have a one-year exclusive deal on RoTR. Square Enix themselves realise how bad of a decision that was (the PC version sold three times the amount in its launch month than it did on Xbox One) and the sequel is now launching on PS4, Xbox One, and PC simultaneously. Of course I want more people to play Kingdom Hearts but the fact of the matter is that Square Enix does not care at all at this very moment about bringing the past collections to Xbox or Switch. It may not ever happen. I'm surprised you're not fighting for a PC port as well.

Instead of thinking Xbox won't get the collections, why don't you join the cause?
I've expressed my desire in the past for the collections to go to Xbox because it is only fair for people to play the games, but it is clear from Square Enix's disinterest in that console that there is not any worth in joining this cause.

Final Fantasy XV, from what I can tell, was very divisive & Type-0 was a port of a PSP game, so any poor sales, especially on a series that's not marketed too much to Xbox players compared to Playstation.
You do realise that Type-0 HD, which was a port of a highly successful PSP game, only sold 1,000 units in Japan? Meanwhile the PlayStation 4 version sold 92,000 units in that same time frame. Worldwide, the PlayStation 4 version sold 461,117 units in its first week worldwide, while the Xbox One version sold 74,488 units. The game managed to sell over a million units worldwide about seven months after release. For a port, that seems like pretty good numbers overall but it is shockingly low results for the Xbox One version.

For FFXV, in the U.K. only 21% of sales during the launch week was for Xbox One. Microsoft tried to market this game, even in the U.K., but under 30,000 units sold in launch week is not very good. It's no surprise that they aren't bringing games to that console despite it being reasonably easy to port them.

The series could do really well on both & I don't see why it shouldn't be on both.
I agree with this but the fact of the matter is Square Enix have analysed the worth of porting the collections to Xbox and have decided against it. It could happen in the future, I am not denying that. But your topic is ill-sought due to the lack of care from Square Enix. The only thing that would convince them that there is any worth in porting the collections to Xbox would be if sales for KH3 are extremely high. There's no petition that could be held, or any form of protest that could change that. Ergo, it's impossible to place when a collection would be released, if ever at all. All we can go on is Nomura saying they might consider it after KH3's release and hope in the meantime that KH3 launches with a good recap to get new players up to speed.

Last edited:

Scsigs

Nomura (seriously, his name is NOT Namura)
Could've just told me of the misspelling in the first place, rather than just boldening the word, hoping I would pick up on that. Considering his name is pronounced "Nuh-more-a," the mistake is hardly my fault.

Any examples? I can't think of any Nomura directed games that released on the Xbox in recent years, and the only one that is coming up is Kingdom Hearts 3. As for Square Enix, only Final Fantasy XV and its DLCs have released on Xbox. I'm looking at the European Press Site now which lists recent and upcoming games with the platforms they are coming to. Out of the nineteen games listed there, there are five scheduled for Xbox. Two of them are Final Fantasy XV and the Episode Ignis DLC. The third is Kingdom Hearts 3. The last two are Life is Strange: Before the Storm and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. The other 14 games are coming to PC, PS4, and/or Switch. It is clear that his company sees more worth in developing for those platforms for their Japanese games.
Has he directed anything of note in recent years? The only games I'm seeing that he directed that were released on PS & Xbox are FFXIII & Lightning Returns: FFXIII. Everything else has been KH-related that he's actually directed. Everything else has him credited as either a producer or character designer. That's why you can't think of any examples. And even then, every KH game since 2 has been on mobile devices for no reason, which I even think he can call a mistake, given how continuity-reliant the series is.
Considering that Square have been mainly focusing on PS & Nintendo consoles, I'm not surprised that they are releasing a lot of games just for those consoles. Like I said, they haven't been really focusing on Xbox, but they're not against releasing their games on it. They're also a Japanese company who mainly focus on their own home country before the rest of the world, as does Nomura. As I said, Xbox has sold poorly in that country. Even though it has, & the KH3 port to the system was cancelled in Japan, they're not against still having it release for the system everywhere else. Like I also said, though, they haven't been marketing to Xbox owners. I think they expect word-of-mouth to drive Xbox sales. Just having the console manufacturer market the games on their console really shouldn't be what a company does.

This is not something you can speak with certainty about because if there was money to be made with Xbox ports then they would have done exactly that last year. It is not a priority right now, or even this year, to get these games out on Xbox or Switch. The clear focus for Nomura and Square Enix is to finish Kingdom Hearts III for both PS4 and Xbox before deciding if they want to even bother with releasing the collections on those platforms, and with the Switch selling like hotcakes in Japan and overseas, it is more likely for that console to get ports over Xbox (Nintendo also has a history with being the home to several Kingdom Hearts games).
It's just as you say, they were focused on getting the ports out, but were mainly focused on 3's development. Hell, they weren't even going to port 1.5 & 2.5 to PS4 until they heard enough demand. Not porting those to the PS4 at the same times as the PS3 versions was just idiotic to begin with, TBH, so it's not just console sales driving their decisions, which you've touched upon already. I mean, given enough word of mouth, marketing, & online videos, people can be persuaded to buy games if they see they're good enough.
Personally, I don't think a lot of JRPGs get enough sales period unless they're the more popular franchises like Pokemon. FFXV has only sold a bit over 7 million copies, 1/7 of that being Xbox sales. FFXV was also a very divisive entry that didn't look very good on the original Xbox One due to the lesser tech than what was in the PS4. On Xbox One X, & S I believe, it looks a lot better, as do a lot of games. The X is the best version of the console & I bet that KH3 will be no exception. The problem here is calculating how bad it is in terms of numbers of Xbox Ones sold, since Microsoft's stopped publishing sales numbers. I mean, I personally like FFXV, despite its faults, & think it deserves more sales overall. KH I just straight-up love, so I just want as many people to be able to play it as possible.

I'm not forcing any negativity. It is well-documented just how bad of a decision it was for Microsoft to have a one-year exclusive deal on RoTR. Square Enix themselves realise how bad of a decision that was (the PC version sold three times the amount in its launch month than it did on Xbox One) and the sequel is now launching on PS4, Xbox One, and PC simultaneously. Of course I want more people to play Kingdom Hearts but the fact of the matter is that Square Enix does not care at all at this very moment about bringing the past collections to Xbox or Switch. It may not ever happen. I'm surprised you're not fighting for a PC port as well.
There's not a lot that can be helped with the sales numbers of when ROTTR was initially released. It was developed in part with Microsoft, so it was obviously having to be exclusive for almost a year. In terms of sales numbers, releasing it on other consoles only helped, as far as I can see.
If we're talking the games I'm seeing, I'm not surprised at all with these titles. Dagon Quest has pretty much been Nintendo & Sony only so far, with PC as well from what I see. FFVII was a PS game, but I've heard rumors that it's set up as a timed exclusive. Given Crash Bandicoot's being given the same treatment, plus some other franchises, I see this happening. The World Ends With You is a port of a DS game that was a cult game, as far as I know, so I don't know how well that'd do if no one knows about it. Every other game outside of Life is Strange 2 & the Avengers game, I have not heard of. Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, & Kingdom Hearts are their mainline franchises, which most people have at least heard of, & should be on the platforms most people play, which includes Xbox &, maybe, the Switch. I mean, I can't imagine there's more people outside of Japan that'll play a Square Enix game under these titles than Xbox players.

I've expressed my desire in the past for the collections to go to Xbox because it is only fair for people to play the games, but it is clear from Square Enix's disinterest in that console that there is not any worth in joining this cause.
Disagree. That just means there's more reason to.

You do realise that Type-0 HD, which was a port of a highly successful PSP game, only sold 1,000 units in Japan? Meanwhile the PlayStation 4 version sold 92,000 units in that same time frame. Worldwide, the PlayStation 4 version sold 461,117 units in its first week worldwide, while the Xbox One version sold 74,488 units. The game managed to sell over a million units worldwide about seven months after release. For a port, that seems like pretty good numbers overall but it is shockingly low results for the Xbox One version.

For FFXV, in the U.K. only 21% of sales during the launch week was for Xbox One. Microsoft tried to market this game, even in the U.K., but under 30,000 units sold in launch week is not very good. It's no surprise that they aren't bringing games to that console despite it being reasonably easy to port them.
Don't know how only referencing the U.K.'s sales for FFXV is supposed to exactly prove your point, but ok. I'm not arguing that the PS4 gets more sales for these games. That's a given, considering PS4 has a built-in audience who buy these games. My argument is that the potential is just being wasted with not releasing these games for additional systems.
Type-0 from what I can tell isn't a FF game that is that popular to people outside of the fanbase, like, I haven't seen anyone recommending it. Also, given it was ported to consoles over a failing handheld at the time, I'm not surprised it got a boost in sales.

I agree with this but the fact of the matter is Square Enix have analysed the worth of porting the collections to Xbox and have decided against it. It could happen in the future, I am not denying that. But your topic is ill-sought due to the lack of care from Square Enix. The only thing that would convince them that there is any worth in porting the collections to Xbox would be if sales for KH3 are extremely high. There's no petition that could be held, or any form of protest that could change that. Ergo, it's impossible to place when a collection would be released, if ever at all. All we can go on is Nomura saying they might consider it after KH3's release and hope in the meantime that KH3 launches with a good recap to get new players up to speed.
To quote Nomura, “The Nintendo Switch is definitely a very interesting piece of hardware, but if we lightly say, ‘Oh yeah, we’ll be on the Nintendo Switch,’ I’m sure people will come back and say, ‘But what about the PS4 and Xbox One? We want them out first. Don’t focus on other platforms,’” Nomura told IGN. “So for now, we want to focus on what platforms we’ve already announced we’re going to be releasing Kingdom Hearts 3 on. And so after, perhaps, maybe we can start thinking about other possibilities.” Kingdom Hearts 3 Director Not Considering Switch Version Until After Xbox One, PS4 Versions Are Released - IGN
They haven't made a decision either way. They're just not focused on it right now because they're focused on KH3. After KH3, they'll decide on it. Hence my focus on a release date. I may remind you that they gauged the desire to want 1.5 & 2.5 on the PS4, then finally released them on the system. To not release them on the Xbox One as well would just be ill-advised & if they're using sales figures as justification, then that's suicide. All they would need to do is set aside a small team & some time to port the games. Hopefully more time than 1.5 & 2.5 got for PS4, where the playtesting of the 60fps was clearly nonexistent, given how many patches & the eventual free DLC for the KH1 theater mode & extra 358/2 Days scene.
Sales would most likely play a big thing, which I get. Considering they have at least 1 million US fans on Xbox alone, I think they could increase the sales of the ports, given that they previously released the ports on PS3 previously & I'm betting more than a few purchasers of those versions felt burned when superior ports came out several years later. I know I would've. An Xbox One port of the games would also benefit greatly from the X's tech being slightly better than even the PS4 Pro & the S being better than the base One, as well as most likely having the free DLC packaged in on the disc, if not being available from day 1 separately. While I can't guarantee they'll match the PS4 sales, they'll have sales on Xbox. Given the fact that Kingdom Hearts is, overall, fun to play, with great characters, as well as interesting to a fault plots, with Disney as one of its parts and not needing to understand Final Fantasy to play it. I unabashedly love KH, with KH2 being my absolute favorite RPG, Action or not because of its elements. If this series was also released on Xbox a year ago, or even Nintendo a decade ago when I had a GameCube, I would've wanted it for those instead. I first heard about this series when I saw a commercial for it on TV back when I was 9 or 10 around the time that 2 was coming out. It intrigued me, but I was never able to play it because it wasn't available on my prefered console family. Console availability has always been something that's plagued this series, with the only console the main games have been on being the PS family until 3 & the multiple games that were on handhelds that either didn't need to exist, or follow up &/or set up story elements & characters that have become important to knowing.
That's ultimately why I want the collections on the Xbox at the very least too, since 3's gonna be a game you NEED to know all of the past games' lores to understand what's going on, as well as to get new people to play the series. 3 isn't FFXV, where it's a new entry into an old franchise. Square is really not taking advantage of the long wait & hype from all angles. I get the want to only release them on PS3 & 4 first, but they really should be taking other consoles into consideration as well. If Nomura wants to release them after 3, fine, but we'll see. If he's seriously talked about it, then he's not against it. It wouldn't be too cost effective to put them out, considering they're already done & just in need of porting. I'm hopeful Nomura will focus on that next & the demand will be high enough to warrant the ports, which I bet there will be. To simply release the 3rd main entry & not the preceding ones is nt only stupid, but insane.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Yeah, I don't expect Switch ports either. Yet, some people say they'd like Switch ports rather than even Xbox ports, which I don't get whatsoever. Either they should be on every console, or just the more popular ones. Nintendo isn't really any competition anymore, since they appeal mostly to their fanbase. I doubt there's enough Switch users to really justify ports at the moment, but I wouldn't object to them. Xbox ports are just more likely, though.

There are people who play on their Switch more than their PS4/XB1. That's the inherent advantage of a console/portable hybrid: there are simply more times where a switch game can be played than a dedicated console. Many people simply don't have the free time for console gaming due to long work hours, family members hogging the tv, etc. I have heard no shortage of testimonies of jaded gamers whose passion for gaming was reignited by the Switch giving them more time to play. So yeah, it's fully believable there are those wanting KH games on the Switch, as it is the only console they can play. KH3+all 3 collections is like 200+ combined hours to play, folks gotta find the time for all that somehow.

& then there's Japan, who quite frankly don't give a damn about home consoles to begin with. The PS4 has struggled on it's home turf, taking 3 years just surpass Wii U in domestic sales (& trust me that ain't because the Wii U was exceptionally popular over there). Japan is so portable gaming centric that the Switch has become the best selling console by the mere merit of portability. 2017 was the 1st time in 11 years that the Japanese console has seen growth. It is not hyperbole in the slightest to suggest that a Switch port of KH3 would probably sell more copies in Japan than the PS4 version.

Plus, ya know, the last 3 Nintendo handhelds have all had KH games on them, it isn't without precedent. Not to mention that Disney games tended to sell better on Nintendo platforms, family friendly cartoon characters & all that. (It was always funny whenever I saw a Playstation fanboy call the Wii too kiddy to deserve a game that stars Mickey Mouse & Winnie the Pooh).

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Could've just told me of the misspelling in the first place, rather than just boldening the word, hoping I would pick up on that. Considering his name is pronounced "Nuh-more-a," the mistake is hardly my fault.

That isn't how it is pronounced. It is "No-moo-ra". Nomura.

Has he directed anything of note in recent years? The only games I'm seeing that he directed that were released on PS & Xbox are FFXIII & Lightning Returns: FFXIII.

...How did you come upon this information?

Nomura did not direct the Final Fantasy XIII games. That was Motomu Toriyama. The decision for XIII to go multiplatform was a company decision due to the fact that the 360 was selling better than the PS3. FFXIII and its sequels all sold less on the 360 despite the higher install base for the console due to a lack of focus on JRPGs by Microsoft, thus there was a very minimal audience for XIII on the 360.

Everything else has been KH-related that he's actually directed.

Yes, a deliberate decision by Nomura so he could focus efforts into Versus XIII-then-turned-XV.

Everything else has him credited as either a producer or character designer. That's why you can't think of any examples. And even then, every KH game since 2 has been on mobile devices for no reason, which I even think he can call a mistake, given how continuity-reliant the series is.

The handheld device decision was based on a number of factors:

1) Nomura wanted to wait until he was finished with Versus XIII to release another console Kingdom Hearts title.

2) BBS started development as a PS2 title, but the PS3 was on the horizon and the PSP was extremely popular. They decided that moving BBS to the PSP would help them capitalize on the PSP's popularity since Square Enix was having huge issue developing games for HD consoles like the PS3/360 at the time. BBS was highly successful (and likely would have sold even more had it gotten a digital release)

3) The DS was even more popular than the PSP among gamers around the world and had a HUGE install base they could reach with any of their IP. Nintendo also asked for a game on the DS and Nomura, who never backs down from a challenge, decided that the game they would make would be Days. And then it went on to be a best-seller (for better or for worse depending on your opinion of Days)

4) DoCoMo phones were really big in Japan and mobile gaming was quickly becoming extremely popular. Nomura wanted gamers to feel a certain sense of messing around in a "playground" or something. They decided to capitalize on that with coded. I'm not sure how popular it is because the model phone people needed to play coded on was extremely expensive. It got ported to the DS so people could actually play the game once that model was phased out, and also so international fans could play.

5) They could easily outsource development for these games without having the main production department divert their attention from the problem that was XIII and Versus XIII. h.a.n.d. made Days and coded/Re:coded, and the Osaka team worked on BBS so the 1st Production Development Department (now Business Division 1) could focus on XIII and Versus XIII.

In the end Versus XIII kept getting shafted for the XIII series until the Type-0 team jumped on and became the XV team so Nomura's reasons for going handheld for three games felt like a waste in the end, but let's be honest. We are getting a better game in KH3 for it being on the PS4/XB1 than if it had been made for the PS3/360 generation.

As for KH3D, Nomura and the Osaka team wanted to make a game for the 3DS.

It certainly created a huge issue with Kingdom Hearts that they definitely wanted to fix with the remasters, but I doubt Nomura would ever call it a mistake. In the end it brought in a ton of new fans by experimenting with different Japanese handheld consoles people were likely to already own due to how popular they were.

This is such a stark difference from the XB1 and PS4. People will typically own one or the other based on their gaming preferences. People who like Japanese games or Sony's first party projects will gravitate to the PS4. People who like shooters, most sports games, and Microsoft's exclusive titles will gravitate to the XB1.

People usually know what they want out of a console if they have done their research.

Which leaves KH3 in this awkward position. KH3 isn't going to drive sales for the XB1. KH3 isn't going to have sales comparable to the PS4 on the XB1. It will definitely bring in new fans, but how many? Will it be worth the investment to catch them up on the series? These answers are unknown, which is why SE hasn't made the investment to try and catch them up yet.

Considering that Square have been mainly focusing on PS & Nintendo consoles, I'm not surprised that they are releasing a lot of games just for those consoles. Like I said, they haven't been really focusing on Xbox, but they're not against releasing their games on it. They're also a Japanese company who mainly focus on their own home country before the rest of the world, as does Nomura. As I said, Xbox has sold poorly in that country.

Even though it has, & the KH3 port to the system was cancelled in Japan, they're not against still having it release for the system everywhere else.

The XB1 version has not been cancelled in Japan. It is still planned.

Like I also said, though, they haven't been marketing to Xbox owners. I think they expect word-of-mouth to drive Xbox sales.

Trust me, they likely don't even expect that. There is a very clear reason why they haven't put any effort into driving Kingdom Hearts fans to the XB1 and it is because they know that the console has a very niche audience for Japanese games. They historically just do not sell well on Microsoft consoles. Even when Microsoft paid for exclusivity to drive fans of a series or company/developer to their console, it did not work.

Some games do better than others like Metal Gear Solid or Resident Evil, but most of them sell marginal numbers. Even in comparison to the sales on other consoles, the biggest Japanese-developed titles will sell less on Microsoft consoles.

Just having the console manufacturer market the games on their console really shouldn't be what a company does.

It shouldn't be. I agree, but SE only does this when they don't think their game has any value to be marketed for some reason. For Dissidia, they barely sent any marketing materials to Sony and SE wasn't really attempting to market the game in the west outside of some online ads and some promos bought out at retailers.

The first party companies need games to succeed so people will use or buy their console/services, so it is why they will sometimes step in and market games that seem to be getting ignored by their publisher.

Or sometimes it is why companies (i.e. Nintendo) essentially pay to market and publish titles in the west when the publishers don't want to pay for it.

There are a lot of company politics that are involved with these kinds of decisions, though.

KH I just straight-up love, so I just want as many people to be able to play it as possible.

I understand that feeling, but there are logical limits that we have to acknowledge.

There is no known audience for Kingdom Hearts titles on the XB1. As far as it is known by Japanese publishers, there is barely even an audience for their games on the console. Microsoft has pretty much ceased courting Japanese companies for exclusives or multiplatform titles because nobody was really turning a profit for the decision.

If a Japanese-developed game goes multiplatform these days, it is because it is just about maximizing potential sales profits and not because they are seeking to build an audience on a specific console. It usually becomes clear what console they value more when you see how much marketing they have on one console vs the other, or what console they usually use for demonstration purposes.

Also, time and resources have to be put into this. They want to do that right now when they are in a critical stage with KH3 right now. They might not even want to do it after KH3 is out depending on what work has to be done following its release if they have planned DLC or want to focus on getting KH3 to another console or even have another project to work on.

Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, & Kingdom Hearts are their mainline franchises, which most people have at least heard of, & should be on the platforms most people play, which includes Xbox &, maybe, the Switch. I mean, I can't imagine there's more people outside of Japan that'll play a Square Enix game under these titles than Xbox players.

As MATGSY has explained, the Switch has quickly become the biggest console in Japan and has an amazing attach rate in the west right now.

Square Enix has nurtured an audience for Kingdom Hearts that is skewed to Playstation and Nintendo consoles. Even with those three flagships being known by Xbox users, that does not mean they are also likely to buy because they know of these games.

Disagree. That just means there's more reason to.

If SE has no interest, there won't be a known audience for KH until after KH3, and sales will be skewed in favor of PS4 for KH3, then why?

I get what you are saying and what you want, but we really need to wait until after KH3 comes out to even know if it would be a worthwhile investment to port these games to the XB1.

Which leads to my point below:

To not release them on the Xbox One as well would just be ill-advised & if they're using sales figures as justification, then that's suicide.

If KH3 does not sell well for them on the XB1, then why port the games? Why port them when there is a history of less sales for Japanese-developed games on the XB?

The only reason that will convince them otherwise is if KH3 sells gangbusters, but with SE's apathy, Microsoft not really caring about Japanese-developed games, and the user base on the XB1 not being known to be extremely interested in JRPGs and a lot of Japanese-developed games, what reasoning would they have to do this?

Considering they have at least 1 million US fans on Xbox alone

Who are these 1 million US fans on the Xbox?

Scsigs

...How did you come upon this information?

Nomura did not direct the Final Fantasy XIII games. That was Motomu Toriyama. The decision for XIII to go multiplatform was a company decision due to the fact that the 360 was selling better than the PS3. FFXIII and its sequels all sold less on the 360 despite the higher install base for the console due to a lack of focus on JRPGs by Microsoft, thus there was a very minimal audience for XIII on the 360.
I was looking on his Wiki page, which I swear said he was the director of them, but I'm now seeing that it says he was the main character designer. My bad, I guess, but why would I have misread that so badly?

Yes, a deliberate decision by Nomura so he could focus efforts into Versus XIII-then-turned-XV.
Did I give an indication that that wasn't his reasoning? As

The handheld device decision was based on a number of factors:

1) Nomura wanted to wait until he was finished with Versus XIII to release another console Kingdom Hearts title.

2) BBS started development as a PS2 title, but the PS3 was on the horizon and the PSP was extremely popular. They decided that moving BBS to the PSP would help them capitalize on the PSP's popularity since Square Enix was having huge issue developing games for HD consoles like the PS3/360 at the time. BBS was highly successful (and likely would have sold even more had it gotten a digital release)

3) The DS was even more popular than the PSP among gamers around the world and had a HUGE install base they could reach with any of their IP. Nintendo also asked for a game on the DS and Nomura, who never backs down from a challenge, decided that the game they would make would be Days. And then it went on to be a best-seller (for better or for worse depending on your opinion of Days)

4) DoCoMo phones were really big in Japan and mobile gaming was quickly becoming extremely popular. Nomura wanted gamers to feel a certain sense of messing around in a "playground" or something. They decided to capitalize on that with coded. I'm not sure how popular it is because the model phone people needed to play coded on was extremely expensive. It got ported to the DS so people could actually play the game once that model was phased out, and also so international fans could play.

5) They could easily outsource development for these games without having the main production department divert their attention from the problem that was XIII and Versus XIII. h.a.n.d. made Days and coded/Re:coded, and the Osaka team worked on BBS so the 1st Production Development Department (now Business Division 1) could focus on XIII and Versus XIII.

In the end Versus XIII kept getting shafted for the XIII series until the Type-0 team jumped on and became the XV team so Nomura's reasons for going handheld for three games felt like a waste in the end, but let's be honest. We are getting a better game in KH3 for it being on the PS4/XB1 than if it had been made for the PS3/360 generation.

As for KH3D, Nomura and the Osaka team wanted to make a game for the 3DS.

It certainly created a huge issue with Kingdom Hearts that they definitely wanted to fix with the remasters, but I doubt Nomura would ever call it a mistake. In the end it brought in a ton of new fans by experimenting with different Japanese handheld consoles people were likely to already own due to how popular they were.

This is such a stark difference from the XB1 and PS4. People will typically own one or the other based on their gaming preferences. People who like Japanese games or Sony's first party projects will gravitate to the PS4. People who like shooters, most sports games, and Microsoft's exclusive titles will gravitate to the XB1.

People usually know what they want out of a console if they have done their research.

Which leaves KH3 in this awkward position. KH3 isn't going to drive sales for the XB1. KH3 isn't going to have sales comparable to the PS4 on the XB1. It will definitely bring in new fans, but how many? Will it be worth the investment to catch them up on the series? These answers are unknown, which is why SE hasn't made the investment to try and catch them up yet.
Good points, but the reason I'd say Nomura might regret making the games for the handhelds is because BBS & DDD are mandatory to play due to either lore expansion, or heavy setup for KH3, which I think he's sort of acknowledged with the collections, since 3's the culmination of the previous games' plots & setups. That's the crux of my argument. If you're not gonna give a new console's playerbase the chance to catch up on the previous games, what's the point of just releasing the latest sequel? The collections were made for a reason. It's like going into Back to the Future 3 if you haven't seen the prior 2 movies, since you lack the knowledge of the characters & prior movies' plots to have everything make sense.

The XB1 version has not been cancelled in Japan. It is still planned.
I thought that it was. Huh. I swear there was a report that said it was last year. Was it just scaled back to digital releases or something?

Trust me, they likely don't even expect that. There is a very clear reason why they haven't put any effort into driving Kingdom Hearts fans to the XB1 and it is because they know that the console has a very niche audience for Japanese games. They historically just do not sell well on Microsoft consoles. Even when Microsoft paid for exclusivity to drive fans of a series or company/developer to their console, it did not work.

Some games do better than others like Metal Gear Solid or Resident Evil, but most of them sell marginal numbers. Even in comparison to the sales on other consoles, the biggest Japanese-developed titles will sell less on Microsoft consoles.
Have they even tried to put the series on other console families outside of handhelds before, or at least market to other console owners? I mean, at least a bit more advertising than general trailers they release specifically on YouTube wouldn't hurt them. I mean, I get that the other console families have more history with the franchise, but Xbox doesn't have any. You'd think they'd at least try to corner that market. If they teamed up with Microsoft for an advertising campaign, I'd at least respect the idea that their games are unmarketable to a lot of Xbox players. Right now, I can't believe that entirely.
MGS is a 3rd person shooter series & RE has similar gameplay, so that doesn't shock me. Personally, one of the reasons I got a Playstation 4 after half a decade of being exclusively an Xbox player was because of Playstation's exclusives, since Microsoft didn't have a lot that interested me & I was getting sick of nothing but FPS games, which they've started to rectify with their newest exclusives being more to a general audience than specifically FPS fans or racing game fans (which, why are games like Forza popular anyways? I played the first game, beat it, & then regretted getting the game for Christmas. I prefer my racing games be more like Mario Kart, I was a Nintendo kid after all). Hell, a friend of mine from college is also an Xbox user & he started branching out to get games other than FPS games with Dead Rising, so I'm betting there are a lot of others wanting a different kind of game to play on their preferred console. Then again, I like a good action adventure game.

It shouldn't be. I agree, but SE only does this when they don't think their game has any value to be marketed for some reason. For Dissidia, they barely sent any marketing materials to Sony and SE wasn't really attempting to market the game in the west outside of some online ads and some promos bought out at retailers.

The first party companies need games to succeed so people will use or buy their console/services, so it is why they will sometimes step in and market games that seem to be getting ignored by their publisher.

Or sometimes it is why companies (i.e. Nintendo) essentially pay to market and publish titles in the west when the publishers don't want to pay for it.

There are a lot of company politics that are involved with these kinds of decisions, though.
Yeah, which sucks. I think they could try developing or marketing for Xbox if they wanted to, but they haven't sufficiently tried hard enough. Microsoft's culminated audience doesn't help. The thing with Square is that they're not a first-party company. They're 3rd party, which means they should try to market to as many audiences as possible. The logic, man. Square's both makes sense & doesn't make sense at the same time to me.

I understand that feeling, but there are logical limits that we have to acknowledge.

There is no known audience for Kingdom Hearts titles on the XB1. As far as it is known by Japanese publishers, there is barely even an audience for their games on the console. Microsoft has pretty much ceased courting Japanese companies for exclusives or multiplatform titles because nobody was really turning a profit for the decision.

If a Japanese-developed game goes multiplatform these days, it is because it is just about maximizing potential sales profits and not because they are seeking to build an audience on a specific console. It usually becomes clear what console they value more when you see how much marketing they have on one console vs the other, or what console they usually use for demonstration purposes.

Also, time and resources have to be put into this. They want to do that right now when they are in a critical stage with KH3 right now. They might not even want to do it after KH3 is out depending on what work has to be done following its release if they have planned DLC or want to focus on getting KH3 to another console or even have another project to work on.

As MATGSY has explained, the Switch has quickly become the biggest console in Japan and has an amazing attach rate in the west right now.

Square Enix has nurtured an audience for Kingdom Hearts that is skewed to Playstation and Nintendo consoles. Even with those three flagships being known by Xbox users, that does not mean they are also likely to buy because they know of these games.

If SE has no interest, there won't be a known audience for KH until after KH3, and sales will be skewed in favor of PS4 for KH3, then why?

I get what you are saying and what you want, but we really need to wait until after KH3 comes out to even know if it would be a worthwhile investment to port these games to the XB1.

Which leads to my point below:

If KH3 does not sell well for them on the XB1, then why port the games? Why port them when there is a history of less sales for Japanese-developed games on the XB?

The only reason that will convince them otherwise is if KH3 sells gangbusters, but with SE's apathy, Microsoft not really caring about Japanese-developed games, and the user base on the XB1 not being known to be extremely interested in JRPGs and a lot of Japanese-developed games, what reasoning would they have to do this?
To be fair to Microsoft, Kingdom Hearts has never been on Xbox consoles, so we can't say. Yeah, it's a JRPG, but it's also a franchise that's never been on the platform. Kingdom Hearts isn't Final Fantasy. That's why they wanted to partner with Disney, so they could have a franchise that could rival Nintendo's IPs in popularity, which it did. My question is why KH 1 & 2 haven't gone multiplatform before on the GameCube. Especially since most of the handhelds are on Nintendo's anyways. Square are just dooming themselves because of the logic involved...

SE: "We're putting the 3rd main installment of the series on Xbox One in addition to the PS4."
Regular Joe: "Is it like FFXV, where you don't need to play prior installments to play it?"
"Well, no. The series is heavily based in its own internal continuity."
"So, we NEED to play the prior installments to get 100% of the story continuations?"
"Yes."
"So, you're going to have the prior installments ported to that system too, right?"
"Only if 3 does well on the console."
"But you just said that people need to play prior installments to get the most out of 3."
"Yes."
"But you're waiting to see how the sales of 3 are gonna be to justify releasing the games on the system."
"Yes."
"That's shoddy logic at best."
"Well, people will pick it up because the series uses Disney elements."
"Ah, so the gameplay will be fun & the aesthetics will be cool."
"Yes."
"Is that the case with the other games?"
"Most of them, yes."
"But not as many people will understand the story as there should be."
"No."
"And you won't release the prior games on Xbox unless 3 does well..."
"Yes."
"Just looking on Wikipedia here, you released HD collection ports of the prior installments on PS3 & 4 within the last 5 years."
"Yes."
"That, obviously, took a bit of money, time, & manpower."
"Yes."
"So, why'd you do it?"
"So people can understand the overall story."
"Couldn't they already do that with the prior releases?"
"Yeah, but the first 2 main games were on the Playstation 2,...then the lesser games were either on Nintendo's DS/3DS, or the PSP, which has since been retired as a handheld console,...then there are the Japanese-exclusive ReMIXes of 1 & 2 that have never come out before. We just feel these collections give players the most convenient way to play the games."
"But you're not doing ports to the Xbox One of those collections?"
"Not unless 3 sells well."
"You realize that that doesn't make any sense, right? The prior collections were produced for the sake of understanding the overall story as a lead-in to 3 to avoid continuity lockout, as well as to release the final mix versions of the 2 main games outside of Japan. Wouldn't Xbox players appreciate those too?"
"Yeah, but we feel Xbox players don't appreciate our games."
"Have you tried marketing to them?"
"No."
"How do you know if you don't try?"
"Look, I won't lie, we only really focus on the Japanese audience & Xbox doesn't do too well over here."
"What about the international audiences?"
"What about them?"
"You released the collections everywhere because you wanted people to be caught up."
"Yes."
"Why not set aside a small team to port them to Xbox One as well for those in other countries interested as well?"
"Well, 3's gotta do well first."
"Did you forget what we just said?"
"No, I just don't care enough to offer any actual reasons that make sense outside of business decisions."
"You are aware that there are KH fans who've gone with Xbox over Playstation 4 & others who have an interest in the series as well, due to the hype you've drummed up in recent years, right?"
"Maybe you're right. Can't take the risk, though."
"How much money could you possibly lose if it's ported to Xbox?"
"Not much, but enough."
"That answer makes no sense!"
"That's the answer, take it, or leave it."

And that's how I'm seeing it. It's stupid, it makes no sense, & wouldn't cost much just to put it out, especially since the PS4 ports are selling extremely well enough to pick up any slack Xbox ports could possibly have before they could come out.

Who are these 1 million US fans on the Xbox?
I'm going off the sales of FFXV, which are a bit over a million at this point for the system.

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Them even announcing a Xbox One version for KH III in the first place was highly probably not done with the intent of possibly gaining a new audience and/or new fans but because a) they expected a closer console race like the PS3/360 had and b) Microsoft provided coffers full of money.

They aren't going to back down on the Xbox version of III because they have a contract about it, but they aren't really that interested in investing more than absolutely necessary mainly because what Spockanort already pointed out, but also because of the potential not being really there as the Xbox One is not very successful outside of the USA on top of the already mentioned factors.

In Japan the sales numbers of the Xbox One are abysmal compared to the PS4 and especially the Switch while in the other countries of Asia (including China) the market share is about 44% PS4, 30% Switch and 26% Xbox One.

Meanwhile in Europe the PS4 dominates the market with lifetime sales outweighing the Xbox and Switch combined yet when looking at 2017 alone the Switch started to outsell the Xbox too on European markets.

Both Final Fantasy XIII and XV were ported to the Xbox and both lost big time in sales numbers compared to the PS4 version, reinforcing the view that a significant part of user base of the Xbox simply isn't interested in this type of game and the few who are aren't worth the economical effort which includes marketing.

The issue is certainly about plain business decisions and not any sentimental value towards any console or the KH series as a whole.

hanifanze

So, I saw Cynical's/TheGamersJoint's video on how Square intends to catch newbies up on Kingdom Hearts, but there was one giant elephant in the room he didn't talk about. The Xbox One version of III!

Now, it may be a divisive topic amongst more hardened KH fans, Playstation fanboys, etc, but I firmly believe Namura, after finishing KH3, will devote time & resources at Square to port the 1.5, 2.5, & 2.8 Collections over to the Xbox One &, possibly, the Switch (along with 3 for the Switch). The question would have to be, though, is on the timing. As we all know, hopefully, Square Enix isn't a console-exclusive company, nor have they ever been. They've just gone with hardware specs, which, for the longest time, was Playstation. Ever since FF7, they've published their games to Playstation. After the Xbox 360 came out, they've published games to that system as well. However, Nintendo's been pretty restricted to their handhelds, which makes sense. However, with the advent of the Switch, Square could take advantage of the people who love to play console games on the go. They would also most likely want to still hit a lot of players on another console family, which would allow for a port to the console. Frankly, I'm surprised that that wasn't the plan already. Some people have tried to convince me that it was due to the earlier games being console exclusive, but that just doesn't add up whatsoever under scrutiny. There's also the old chestnut of the fact that to understand ANYTHING in KH, you NEED to play through the installments as they were released. So, making sure a port of the collections come out for Xbox One as well after 3 wraps development is best both for business & new players' sakes of wrapping their heads around this mess.

Now, when could it be done? If they weren't so involved with FF7's remake, I'd think they could set aside some developers to port the games to the system for a summer 2018 release by now with Namura supervising it, or hire another company to do it for them, again, with Namura supervising. If we go by what Namura has said towards these possible ports himself, they'd most likely get around to it after III's development wrapped, which will most likely take until towards the end of the year. Though, given the latest development with James Woods letting it slip that the voice acting for the English dub is under way, it seems that they'll be done quicker than we previously thought.
So, if all they have to do is playtest & polish the game more, then most of the dev team won't be necessary or won't be working on the game too much longer, so the port could still happen within that timeframe. Any earlier & we run the risk of something similar to what happened with 1.5+2.5 a year ago, where the 60fps patch caused terrible physics problems, where the games could need several patches to run properly, which wouldn't exactly be very good for business. Any later than that & Square could run the risk of competing with themselves, since they have 3 games coming out later this year, with Tomb Raider & Dragon Quest XI, which are scheduled for September, & KH3, as well as 5 other games, some of which are just for the Switch (including The World Ends With You's port, which I really don't get why it's just for the Switch). Either it comes out BEFORE KH3, which could be done if they put the right amount of manpower behind it, Nox Vidmate VLC or in 2019, which could be the more likely option.
So, when could they release it in 2019? Well, that all depends on when they release KH3. Since they have yet to actually announce the release date, my guess is that it'll come out either in October, November, or December. Most likely sometime in November, since October probably might not be the best month to release the game, plus Black Friday & Christmas shopping & all that. My best guess is early or mid November at the earliest for 3. Then they can release the collections 2 years directly after they released the PS4 ports, in January &/or March 2019, which wouldn't be too bad. However, there IS another option...
Release the Collections either slightly ahead of, or at the same time as 3. This could be doable & would make sure everybody who's never played the previous games, or the people that have, get them on the Xbox One to play beforehand to understand the storyline. I mean, that was basically the conceit of putting them on PS4 in the first place.

What could be the answer?
They aren't going to back down on the Xbox version of III because they have a contract about it, but they aren't really that interested in investing more than absolutely necessary mainly because what Spockanort already pointed out, but also because of the potential not being really there as the Xbox One is not very successful outside of the USA on top of the already mentioned factors.

Last edited:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
They ported a bunch of FFs to both systems lately, so clearly S-E sees some value in them. Don't see why 1.5+2.5 ports would be any different than X/X2 or XII.

Back