• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Is KH2 Platinum doable in critical mode?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azuleaf

Awards
As the title says, I'd like to know if it's worth getting the platinum in one critical playthrough in your opinion, or it's just so difficult and annoying that maybe doing a standard playthrough and a critical one just for the difficulty trophy would be a more suitable idea.

Let me explain my situation. I've recently bought the 1.5+2.5 collection and I'm enjoying all the games in that. As a lover of the trophy system, I like to get all of the possible trophies, even though enjoying the game has the top priority. That's why when I first played Re:Com I didn't choose the hardest difficulty, because I was afraid I couldn't enjoy the game due to the unforgiving difficulty (I have never played CoM before). I obviously was wrong and discovered shortly after that taking immediately the proud mode was totally doable. So, when I picked up BbS FM (which was the very first time playing that game), I wanted to save time and chose critical mode for all of the three character. The main adventure, besides some little incidents, was a piece of cake and pretty enjoyable. The secret bosses, apart from one sick b***ard, were doable too without much trouble. But then I came across that... Mysterious Figure was he? It took me a really really long time before I learned the right strategy and finally being able to defeat him. Ventus and Aqua didn't have a very hard time, but Terra, man... I seriously thought to restart the game and getting all of the things all over the game, which I did for 1-2 hours, but then eventually I managed to beat him. I'm still trying to release all of the frustration i got during the last days, and I'm sure you can relate to me if you had to take the same thing.
The point of this story is that, in the end, I didn't enjoy the game and got really frustrated. The thought of having to redo all of the journal issues just to get that trophy was just awful. Don't misunderstand me, I'm pretty proud of myself thinking I beat all the game and the bosses at the highest difficulty, but if the price of achieving that is to not enjoy the game while completing it to get the platinum, well I'm not sure anymore if it's worth it.

So, having Birth by Sleep Final Mix as a term of comparison, would you consider KH2 Critical mode more or less difficult? I've heard that some boss battles can easily be a pain (I haven't played the game yet, even though I know there are some additional bosses compared to the original PS2 version) and that someone consider the battle with Terra's Lingering Will even more difficult than the one with Mysterious Figure (which I really find hard to even imagine XD)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. One more little thing: even if I know things like Terra's Lingering Will boss battle, I haven't played the game yet so please try to avoid major spoilers. Thanks again, have a nice weekend ^_^

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
The Secret bosses Vanitas' Sentiment and Mysterious Figure in BBS are generally considered the hardest and cheapest bosses in the series because to defeat them you can use only very few strategies and for MF a certain amount of luck is also required.
Armor of the Master and No Heart (the new Final Mix secret bosses in the mirage arena are more fair despite still being difficult).

Terra has it the hardest because his movement options are severely limited and his dodge is rather poor. His advantages of high attack power and sturdy defense are helpful against normal enemies and regular bosses, but totally useless against the secret bosses because all their attack can kill you directly (or put you on 1 HP with second chance and once more) and they are rather fast.

Aqua has more options due to her big magic arsenal and all-around defense with barrier while Ventus is small and very fast so he can compete with those bosses in terms of speed and he also has the best movement options of all three.

---

As for KH II, it has generally a rather low difficulty so playing it on critical from the start may give your playing experience a certain spice and make you appreciate the finer things of the battle system more.

Compared to BBS, getting the Platinum may be a little easier time-wise due to not having such stuff as getting perfect on all Ice-cream songs etc.

KH II Final Mix has many more secret bosses compared to BBS though and some of them are pretty though, but except one (Lingering Will) no one comes near the atrocity that is Mysterious Figure and partly Vanitas' Sentiment.
Lingering Will, while close to MFs difficulty, is however designed more fair and relies more on having good reflexes than luck.
You also have not to deal with Terra's sluggish movement and dodge as Sora is much faster and once you've mastered the nooks and crannies of KH 2's battle system including the advantages of summons and Drive Forms (especially Limit Form can be a life saver and used correctly make Sephiroth almost a joke) Critcal mode should be doable.
If one has to compare KH2 Sora to BBS, he plays somewhat like a mix of Aqua and Ventus.

Since you're a first timer not familiar with the battle system though and there being also at least two story bosses which can be quite a challenge I'd advise to spent really some time in-game to learn the ins and outs of the battle system. Regular story should be quite doable even on critical (as you also get extra AP so you can activate more abilities from the start) so if you avoid the optional areas and superbosses until you're confident in using Sora it should be fine.

Losing a few times to the two more challenging story bosses shouldn't get too frustrating as unlike BBS there are multiple strategies to try and beat them (and the second story boss has, without spoiling things, one of the most epic battle themes around and while that boss is difficult the fight is entirely fair).

meep2meep

Awards
To be honest, I'd consider kh2 critical the simplist to plat (personal opinion). There are no missable or time constraint trophies and I'm not sure how much you know but if you start critical you get certain "advantages" Difficulty Level | Kingdom Hearts Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia (Possible prologue spoiler in the link, not sure whether or not you're aware how the game starts)
I personaly found that playing 2fm (ps2 release) on crit, really taught me some of the more subtle gameplay mechanics and has made subsequent playthroughs alot more enjoyable. I'd say if you find that you're having difficulty with certain trophies or battles come back here (youtube and trophy guides are also an option but), the community is super supportive and I'm sure would love to help you with anything you're struggling with.
Also I'd suggest looking into a synth guide at some point while doing clean up :)

Azuleaf

Awards
Thanks guys for your replies!

Oh sorry, I wasn't clear. I have not played yet the Final Mix version of KH2, but I played the original for PS2 about ten years ago. So yes, my memories are not so clear about this game, but I do remember a little about the main story (e.g. Roxas identity, final boss' name, few worlds etc.) and the gameplay (there were some kind of fusion with Donald and Goofy if I'm not mistaken, not sure for the world's specific companion). I do even remember the fantastic scene against 1000 heartless! But apart from these little things, I don't know anything else, that's why I'm looking forward to enjoy this game once again, and that's why I'm so concerned about difficulty.

So, if I got it right, KH2FM critical mode is far more platinumable than BbSFM, that's a nice thing to know, but then again we have one little guy who comes closer to Mysterious Figure difficulty. No Heart and Armor of the Master were really easy because if one had too much trouble he could beat them using only shotlocks. Compared to those battles, how much more difficult is Terra's Lingering Will battle?
Because, you know, I'm aware that any boss can be beaten in any difficulty with perseverance. No Heart and Armor of the Master took only a few tries (even less if I levelled up some more), and in the end I was pretty satisfied (I loved the Armor of the Master battle) but Mysterious figure... I'm not exaggerating it, I think I lost to him about 130-150 times using only Terra, if we add Ventus' and Aqua's tries to that we easily reach a fair 200 attempts to successfully beat him with all of three. That is something I really want to avoid with all my heart. So, even if it's just Terra's battle and even if it requires half of those attempts, I'm sure I'll take my time to decide which difficulty to pick.

The fact is that I'm not looking for a hardcore challenge, I'm looking for some entertainment. Platinuming KH1 at the highest difficulty wasn't an exhausting task, it was pretty enjoyable and I don't remember any pain trying to get that platinum at all. Platinuming Re:Com in proud mode was just boring because of all the grinding, but apart from that it was the same entertaining experience as the first chapter. Doing the same in BbS critical mode turned out to be not so funny in the end (and it was emphasized by the fact that beating MF didn't involve only the "Beat MF" trophy, it involved also the journal trophy, which involved all of the grinding previously made; I'm guessing that even winning Terra's battle involves the journal trophy in KH2), so I'm trying to be sure to pick the best difficulty for the gaming experience I'm willing to have!

I'm sorry if I may sound bothersome, really. It's just that the Mysterious Figure encounter really exhausted my lingering will. Anyway regardless the choice I'll make, as said, I'm sure I'll find all the help I need here in the community ^_^.

Soldier

Awards
If you think the mysterious figure is the most difficult secret boss in the series, you've got another thing coming.

NOTHING can prepare you for the intensity of the lingering will, you will need to be on your toes the entire fight. His attacks hit hard, they cover his weaknesses, and they will mess you up. They also have the chance to paralyze you, limiting your attacks and draining your health. The will was the last thing standing between me and finishing my self-assigned mission to platinum every game in the series. Take some advice from a veteran, practice timing your block with other fast secret bosses to improve the reflex. A certain form will give you invulnerability frames with it's attacks, that will be your best friend in this fight. Synthesize as many elixirs as possible when the time comes, they save lives. You are correct about the will being needed to finish the journal, it's frustrating, I know.

Sorry for the rant, if you need any advice on how to tackle the bosses, message me. As I said, I've been through everything this series has to offer, so I know the struggle. I'm always happy to help others with this series.

Ranma

Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
My answer is shorter and simpler than those that came before me. I platinumed KH2FM on PS3 and PS4 on Critical Mode runs. I wasn't able to do that with the other games.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Thanks guys for your replies!

Oh sorry, I wasn't clear. I have not played yet the Final Mix version of KH2, but I played the original for PS2 about ten years ago. So yes, my memories are not so clear about this game, but I do remember a little about the main story (e.g. Roxas identity, final boss' name, few worlds etc.) and the gameplay (there were some kind of fusion with Donald and Goofy if I'm not mistaken, not sure for the world's specific companion). I do even remember the fantastic scene against 1000 heartless! But apart from these little things, I don't know anything else, that's why I'm looking forward to enjoy this game once again, and that's why I'm so concerned about difficulty.
Yep, those "fusion" thingys are the Drive Forms. Final Mix gives you an additional one that allows Sora to use specific attacks from the first Kingdom Hearts (and also colors his new clothes accordingly). It also gives you back dodge roll which is completely absent in the original KH 2.

If your only real problems with critical in BBS were the secret bosses you're good with playing KH 2 FM on critical.

So, if I got it right, KH2FM critical mode is far more platinumable than BbSFM, that's a nice thing to know, but then again we have one little guy who comes closer to Mysterious Figure difficulty. No Heart and Armor of the Master were really easy because if one had too much trouble he could beat them using only shotlocks. Compared to those battles, how much more difficult is Terra's Lingering Will battle?
Because, you know, I'm aware that any boss can be beaten in any difficulty with perseverance. No Heart and Armor of the Master took only a few tries (even less if I levelled up some more), and in the end I was pretty satisfied (I loved the Armor of the Master battle) but Mysterious figure... I'm not exaggerating it, I think I lost to him about 130-150 times using only Terra, if we add Ventus' and Aqua's tries to that we easily reach a fair 200 attempts to successfully beat him with all of three. That is something I really want to avoid with all my heart. So, even if it's just Terra's battle and even if it requires half of those attempts, I'm sure I'll take my time to decide which difficulty to pick.

The fact is that I'm not looking for a hardcore challenge, I'm looking for some entertainment. Platinuming KH1 at the highest difficulty wasn't an exhausting task, it was pretty enjoyable and I don't remember any pain trying to get that platinum at all. Platinuming Re:Com in proud mode was just boring because of all the grinding, but apart from that it was the same entertaining experience as the first chapter. Doing the same in BbS critical mode turned out to be not so funny in the end (and it was emphasized by the fact that beating MF didn't involve only the "Beat MF" trophy, it involved also the journal trophy, which involved all of the grinding previously made; I'm guessing that even winning Terra's battle involves the journal trophy in KH2), so I'm trying to be sure to pick the best difficulty for the gaming experience I'm willing to have!

I'm sorry if I may sound bothersome, really. It's just that the Mysterious Figure encounter really exhausted my lingering will. Anyway regardless the choice I'll make, as said, I'm sure I'll find all the help I need here in the community ^_^.

The main issue with Mysterious Figure in BBS is that this fight is really poorly designed, unbalanced and partly relies on sheer luck, not skill.
The second most problematic issue is with Terra's moveset and abilities because they put him at a severe disadvantage. On the original PSP-version of BBS I also needed more than 70 tries to finally beat the MF with Terra while I only needed 4 for Aqua and 11 for Ventus.
The most effective strategy against MF is to just dodge spam like hell to avoid his attacks and Thunder Surge him whenever an opportunity arises.
Terra's Lingering Will is between No Heart and Mysterious Figure in terms of difficulty. More challenging than No Heart but less than Mysterious Figure.
As Soldier points out, the Will has a huge arsenal of attacks that can also limit your options when they hit you. It is also reasonably fast and does not have a clear pattern how it chains its attacks together.
Good reflexes and to know which attacks can be blocked and which ones need to be dodged (and how to dodge them) is crucial against the Will as well as to know when the few openings present themselves to attack it.
Think about the Unknown/Xemnas fight in KH 1 Final Mix turned up a few levels.

If you had to face the Will with Terra you would stand before the same issue as against the MF, but since Sora is better movement wise (and he has a variant of Aqua's barrier) think more about Ventus overall when going up against it.

I know about the needed journal trophies, that's what so far prevented me from platinuming BBS as the secret bosses with Terra are really a drag to do except Armor of the Master, which while challenging I found to be the most fair out of the BBS superbosses.

If you don't mind doing two playthroughs in order to have a better experience overall by all means do it.
Aside from the Terra fight in Final Mix there is also an optional area with very though regular enemies where at the end await the Organisation Data Battles which aren't really a pushover as well.

Of course there's always the option to ask for specific advice around here. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back