• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Hey everyone! Also I need some advice

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Jackicanyounot

Hello!

My name is Jacki and I am a psychology doctoral student. Netflix and KH are my self-care and I have loved KH just as long as seasoned veterans around here.

I just got a PS4 and 1.5/2.5 Re:Mix. Played KH, KH2, and COM in my youth (blissful days eh?). I am 26 years old and have hella nostalgia goggles for the old games on the consoles. Never really took to the hand held games but am really interested in their stories and have researched a bit here in there in the last 5-10ish years. Just watched 358/2 Remastered cinematics this evening!

Here's what I need help on, or rather encouragement.
So I beat KH2 in a week, now here I am pressing triangle to open up chests in Birth By Sleep. Also not enjoying the gameplay ugh. Chose to start as Terra per recommended, but I really am not a strategic type of game-player. I felt like the KH2 system was the paramount gameplay system and just want more of that. So I'm getting frustrated with BBS. I read a few everyone here's thoughts about the gameplay being hit or miss for them. I don't want to go through my gripes so far, considering how I have barely played the game and anything I could criticize has been already said.

Should I just muster down and keep playing? Or skip it altogether if I'm already not enjoying myself?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Welcome to the forums Jacki!

BbS is a mixed bag with the fans. People love the gameplay while others despise it. Terra isn’t a great character to control, he is slow but he is a good damage dealer. If you push on through Terra’s story, you will get to Ventus who plays a lot like Sora, and Aqua who is regarded as the best character to control out of the three (though everyone is different so you might not think she’s that great).

If you look up some command guides you can find out how to get some really good commands which might help you out with most battles. I’m not sure where in Terra’s story you are, but I think you should try playing as Ventus and Aqua and see if you prefer playing as them. If you do, you can stick with it but if you don’t then you have every right to stop playing the game.

Soldier

Awards
Hello!

My name is Jacki and I am a psychology doctoral student. Netflix and KH are my self-care and I have loved KH just as long as seasoned veterans around here.

I just got a PS4 and 1.5/2.5 Re:Mix. Played KH, KH2, and COM in my youth (blissful days eh?). I am 26 years old and have hella nostalgia goggles for the old games on the consoles. Never really took to the hand held games but am really interested in their stories and have researched a bit here in there in the last 5-10ish years. Just watched 358/2 Remastered cinematics this evening!

Here's what I need help on, or rather encouragement.
So I beat KH2 in a week, now here I am pressing triangle to open up chests in Birth By Sleep. Also not enjoying the gameplay ugh. Chose to start as Terra per recommended, but I really am not a strategic type of game-player. I felt like the KH2 system was the paramount gameplay system and just want more of that. So I'm getting frustrated with BBS. I read a few everyone here's thoughts about the gameplay being hit or miss for them. I don't want to go through my gripes so far, considering how I have barely played the game and anything I could criticize has been already said.

Should I just muster down and keep playing? Or skip it altogether if I'm already not enjoying myself?
First off, welcome to the forums, please read the FAQ
Second, if you want to understand the story of kingdom hearts before Kingdom hearts 3 launches, you NEED to keep playing. Take it from someone who 100% completed every kingdom hearts game to the letter, the combat in BBS is drastic change from what you're used to but using commands that feel right to you alleviates some of the clunky gameplay. For most of my playthroughs, I favored curagas, and the 2 surges (thunder and fire) to carry me through most of the playthrough. Use shotlock to your advantage and use it to change things up if need be. It may not be the best battle system in any of the games, but BBS's story is pivotal and ties together a lot of loose ends, so I would advise you to keep playing, but that's your decision.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Hi! Welcome to the gang!

Generally, I would advise you to make use of D-Links, especially Ventus's and Aqua's, and find out which commands work best for you. Stuff like magnet is always pretty useful (but can get boring pretty fast if just spammed, in all honesty), and Terra is...yeah he's no fun to control in my eyes. I still found doing the stories in the order T-A-V to be the most fun (although I think T-V-A is suggested), but if you don't like it, there's no use in ruining the whole experience for yourself from the get-go.

Alja

Hello! :)

The game might suggest to go Terra-Ventus-Aqua, but personally, I'd suggest going Ventus-Terra-Aqua, to keep the suspense of some developments in the game. At least that's what I would have liked myself after having played all stories, even though I also understand why the game suggests playing with Terra first. Playing with Ven first might get you used to the BBS system though since he basically plays the same way as Sora, not relying heavily on magic and not being FREAKISHLY SLOW like Terra. So maybe that would help you a little?

To be honest, I wasn't too fond of the new gameplay, either, it does feel restricting, but it grew on me so maybe it'll grow on you, too. Or consider choosing an easier difficulty if it's truly a drag for you, because just as Soldier said, it is vital to understand KH3 (and the characters are lovely). Remember to use shotlocks - they make everything so much easier and I know I forgot to use them basically until the end of the game. And don't hesitate to look up guides to see when the good action commands will turn up. Finding/buying/melding them will make it so much easier for you and probably lead to you enjoying this much more (or being able to pull through xD).

Jackicanyounot

Thanks for all the welcomes and advice! I know that the BBS story is important to the plot, but the gameplay has prevented me from picking it up again after finishing only Sleepy Beauty's (very dull and boring) world as Terra.

I also had the idea of restarting on an easier gameplay just to get the story because I truly do really want to enjoy this game. Im happy to hear that the gameplay grew on some, because that makes me hopeful that it will grow on me too!

Jackicanyounot

I restarted my game using the easy mode with Ventus! My plan is that hopefully after i finish Ventus's story I'll be used to using commands and invested in the story enough to get through Terra's arc.

Back