• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Super Mario Sunshine vs Jak & Daxter Precursor Legacy

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReverofEnola

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Which do you consider to be the superior early 2000's 3D platformer?

IMO they are both very good games but I have to give it to Jak at the end of the day. Like SMS is an 8/10 but JD is more like a 9/10 for me.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I loved both these games actually. I'd probably rank SMS higher. It was much more expansive than Precursor Legacy and more fun, tbh. Now, Jak 2 would be another story.

ReverofEnola

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I loved both these games actually. I'd probably rank SMS higher. It was much more expansive than Precursor Legacy and more fun, tbh. Now, Jak 2 would be another story.

Lol now I feel weird because I feel the opposite of this. If we were comparing Jak 2 vs SMS then SMS wins no competition for me.

Back on topic, yeah I agree that SMS was more expansive and had more things to do than PL. HOWEVER, PL still wins it out for me because of the better story, no loading times between levels, and Jak just felt better to control than Mario IMO. Like Mario felt really slippery in the game and it became really noticeable during the sections where you don't have F.L.U.D.D.

And while both don't have A-tier stories (especially PL when compared to its sequels) PL still wins for me because SMS's story starts out great (I didn't mind that it was voice-acted either) but then stops after the Mecha Bowser scene. Like the very next cutscene after that would be the Final Boss. Thus, making it seem like their is this huge pause in the game's plot between Mecha Bowser and the Final Boss. Which IMO is really similar to KH2's plot when the player starts visiting the worlds for the 2nd time after HB or Beast's Castle if I were to compare it to anything.

Pokie

Unpopular opinion ? But Jax And Daxter. The original Jax and Daxter is just pure gold. Though if we include the other J& D games, then Mario Sunshine is the winner. The later J & D games had too many frustrating missions and elements later on and tried too hard to be "mature " and "edgy " and " Baby's First Grand Theft Auto ".

ReverofEnola

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Unpopular opinion ? But Jax And Daxter. The original Jax and Daxter is just pure gold. Though if we include the other J& D games, then Mario Sunshine is the winner. The later J & D games had too many frustrating missions and elements later on and tried too hard to be "mature " and "edgy " and " Baby's First Grand Theft Auto ".
*Wipes away tear*
Finally a kindred spirit.

Also one thing that PL does better than SMS is how they collect Power Cells.

In Super Mario Sunshine you can only 1 Shine Sprite per episode. So if you collect 100 coins, or skip ahead to like the Piranha boss fight in Episode 1 (instead of waiting for it in Episode 2) you can ONLY collect one of those Shine Sprites and then start the whole level over. You can't collect multiple shine sprites per episode and you also always have to exit the level and reenter it in order to get the others.

Where as in Jak and Daxter, 90% of the time, the 1st time you walk into a level you can get all the power cells in one go for that level. You don't have to exit the level AND you can collect multiple power cells in one go as well. You EVEN get different animations with Daxter everytime you collect one. Unlike SMS.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Jak and Daxter has way more personality than Super Mario Sunshine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall voice acting in Super Mario Sunshine.

Both games are fun, no doubt. Lots of platforming. One focuses on shooting weapons, while the other focuses on shooting water. Jak and Daxter is the superior duo over Mario and F.L.U.D.D (and I guess Yoshi?).

ReverofEnola

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Jak and Daxter has way more personality than Super Mario Sunshine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall voice acting in Super Mario Sunshine.

Both games are fun, no doubt. Lots of platforming. One focuses on shooting weapons, while the other focuses on shooting water. Jak and Daxter is the superior duo over Mario and F.L.U.D.D (and I guess Yoshi?).

Hmmm...that is true. If we were comparing duos then Jak and Daxter would win simply because the game does put a lot of emphasis on their relationship. They do it whenever the player dies, collects a powercell, or even how Daxter reacts the player moving around or punching/kicking. SMS doesn't have that much for F.L.U.D.D

And yeah there IS voice acting in the game (though I wouldn't blame you if you forgot). At least in cutscenes since Bowser, his son, Peach, Peach's toads, the townsfolk, and even F.L.U.D.D (who I think is the only character who speaks outside of cutscenes) can speak. Some fans didn't like it due to it being different from previous Mario games but I didn't mind.

Also PL is the least shooting game out of the Jak trilogy. Heck even SMS is more "shooter" than Jak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back