• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Anime Movies

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I know there's threads in particular for certain kinds of anime movies. However, I've never really seen anyone discuss what they like about the particular anime movies they've seen. Or if the anime movies they've seen met their expectations at all. I know there's quite a few good ones, decent ones, and well, maybe a few bad ones depending on who you ask. lol. So, I thought it'd be great to discuss it here. :)

What anime movie happens to be your favorite? (You can have more than one, of course.)

What anime movies did you dislike?

What anime movies haven't you seen yet? Or happen to be on your watch list?

How many anime movies have you seen?

-- My answers --

What anime movie happens to be your favorite? (You can have more than one, of course.)

I'd say my current favorites happen to be Kimi no na wa, Summer Wars, and Wolf Children. [I have a few reasons why these three are my favorite. I'll edit this later to say why.]

And my childhood favorite anime film will always be Kiki's Delivery Service. Fun Fact: I tried to take a broom out and make it fly as a kid.

What anime movies did you dislike?

I think my least favorite happens to be Naruto: The Last Movie. There wasn't much appeal to it because, it's mostly about Naruto's eyes being opened up to Hinata. I watched it last year and wasted an hour of sleep to see what it was about. And the only hilarious aspect of it was the amount of attempts Hinata went through to make Naruto his scarf. lmao.

And I recently tried The Garden of Words, which has gorgeous animation through out the whole movie that pulls you right in. (Which I put a gif down below of it. <3) I do like that it's a short film and doesn't drag on to keep things interesting. However, I was kind of disappointed a tiny bit at the end because, even after it's reveal how both characters feel about one another they still go their separate ways. Which is kind of romantic because, they still keep in touch and he did make her a pair of shoes. But I kind of wanted more. If I had to describe this movie it'd be sappy, sweet, and bittersweet.

tumblr_n4ygjcyRz41smti2go5_500.gif

What anime movies haven't you seen yet? Or happen to be on your watch list?

I'm honestly a sucker for good animation, so it'll depend on that most likely. Or recommendations from others.

How many anime movies have you seen?

I've probably seen a majority of anime films through Toonami through out the years. Especially the Ghibli Studios films. And I own both Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away. Including FMA: Shamballa.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
Favorite anime movie is Perfect Blue. And stringing off of that I'd say I think anybody who likes anime movies should check out Tokyo Godfathers or pretty much anything by Satoshi Kon.

Peace

Awards
I used to watch anime movies when they premiered in theaters (the first three Pokémon movies, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh!) or when available subs are out for a series I liked (Naruto & Bleach) back in the day. But now, I can't really get into them. The reason for that is the same reason I try to skip filler in shows. They're just fan fictions that can't affect anything in the main story and the events are never brought up again. So why should I waste my time? Hell most of the time, I can't even remember what happened in most of the one's I watched.

I do appreciate movies that try to expand on what happens after the series, but they usually fall flat for me. Like Naruto: The Last Movie. It tried to explain how Hinata and Naruto got together because Kishimoto couldn't be bothered to write it in the comic. Even though one of the best places to do that would have been after the battle with Pain during one of the cooldown chapters. And don't even get me started on most of the other pairings! But nevermind that.

Or Rurouni Kenshin: Reflection which kills of two of the main characters after all the strife they went though in the comic (which still hasn't had its last arc put to animation, except for a 3-5ish minute scene. No, I'm not still salty about it. Why would you think that?) (I'm extremely salty about it). I mean, yeah, we all die eventually. But the comic already gave its characters happy endings for the most part. Why did the studio feel the need to mess with it?

[edit]I almost forgot about those Rurouni Kenshin: New Kyoto Arc movies. God, I didn't like those movies! What was even the point of having the Kyoto Arc in Misao's perspective? And they had Kenshin kill Shishio. You know killing. That one thing that Kenshin avoids doing no matter what. The thing that is the core of his character and is one of the things he's most famous for. Oh, and his duel with Aoshi! It seemed like the writers forgot what was a thing and shoehorned it in the end and it boils down to:

Kenshin: Stop being a dick!

Aoshi: No.

Kenshin: *Bops Aoshi on the head with the pommel of his sword which fixes everything*[/edit]

I liked FMA: Conqueror of Shambala. It shows how all the characters grew up since the end of the series. How Ed, Hohenheim, and Envy are doing during (pre? I forget)-WW2 Germany. And all the characters some together for one last battle against an evil force. The way it ended seemed like it was going to head for another series based on the consequences of the movie which I would've liked.

Also, diddly the Star Driver movie. All the promos hyping up this movie with all the new animation. It seemed like it was going to go into what happened after the series ended. But it turned out to be a compilation movie. Goddamn waste of time.

Recently the past couple of times I watched anime movies (FMA: The Sacred Star of Milos & Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions), I fell asleep during them. Though that could be because I was drinking during them. But when I woke up, I couldn't bring myself to give enough of a shit to watch it from where I left off.

I would like to watch Summer Wars, Tokyo Godfathers, and a Ghibli film or two some time down the line when I'm not binging on all the things. *cough*TOME, DBZ Kai via DVDs*cough* Or If I'm bored enough. Maybe I'll even try to watch those other two movies. Maybe I won't.

As for my favorites... As far as I can remember, I liked Pokémon 2000 (forget the full title), the Entei Movie, and Digimon: The Movie. Yes, I even love the punny, corny, cheesy delight that is the Digi-Rap. Though, I have to give them a rewatch. And again Conqueror of Shambala.

Last edited:

KudoTsurugi

Awards
I would like to watch Summer Wars, Tokyo Godfathers, and a Ghibli film or two some time down the line when I'm not binging on all the things. *cough*TOME, DBZ Kai via DVDs*cough* Or If I'm bored enough. Maybe I'll even try to watch those other two movies. Maybe I won't.

As for my favorites... As far as I can remember, I liked Pokémon 2000 (forget the full title), the Entei Movie, and Digimon: The Movie. Yes, I even love the punny, corny, cheesy delight that is the Digi-Rap. Though, I have to give them a rewatch. And again Conqueror of Shambala.

TOME? As in TOME: Terrain of Magical Expertise? Yay, a fellow fan :D
On topic, I've only seen 3 anime movies in theatre, from what I can remember: the 1st Pokemon movie, The Digimon movie, and the Yu-Gi-Oh movie, all of which I like :) Sadly anime movies aren't really shown where I live anymore unless they're part of the annual Japanese film festival lineup, any other showings have been slated to Dublin because it's closest to the UK -_-
On your earlier points, Peace, I guess it depends on who pens the script, when it comes to movies based on existing anime? I mean, last I checked, weren't Dark Side of Dimensions and Naruto The Last Movie penned by their respective mangakas? And while i haven't seen the latter, the former was pretty good, albeit slow paced in parts, and it was a good sendoff for the original cast. Sacred Star of Milos was pretty good too, and I could see it working within the show :)

i can agree with you on Kenshin though, we did not need a retelling of the Kyoto arc and I don't even think Watsuki liked Reflection's ending. Hopefully a better adaptation of the original run's final arc will come down the line, considering the new manga arc being created.

Veevee

Awards
I've seen a lot of anime movies, be it movies accompanying series or standalone movies. I'm not fond of movies for anime series because they pretty much follow the same formula and in the end, I usually have this feeling of "that was ok to watch, but not really fulfilling". Anime movies I liked were those who expanded series or ended it, like Dark Side of Dimensions or the Eden of the East movies (which I consider great).

I also watched the Kenshin movies, loved the real movies and the second one, the rest was rather ... eh. The reflection one was horrible, the characters didn't deserve this much shit after all the shit they'd already been gone through.
Recently watched all the Digimon Tri movies up to the fourth one and as I was extremely pumped when they were announced, I'm extremely disappointed now. Bad pacing, stupid storytelling, plotholes everywhere and unnecessary fanservice. It's not like they're outright bad, but to someone who loves the series enough to rewatch it every year I'm really salty about it.

Concerning general anime movies, there are a lot good one from Studio Ghibli, even though I don't hype them as much as most people do and I don't like them all. I love the Mamoru Hosoda films, especially girl who leapt through time, but also Wolf Children (Summer Wars and Boy and the Beast were also enjoyable, but I don't love them as much as the other two). I can't get myself to like Makoto Shinkai movies, they just feel odd and trying to me, nevertheless I'll give "your name" a try as soon as it hits local cinemas next year (it's licensed by Universum Anime which is popular for making good dubs in Germany, so I'm looking forward to it).

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Recently watched all the Digimon Tri movies up to the fourth one and as I was extremely pumped when they were announced, I'm extremely disappointed now. Bad pacing, stupid storytelling, plotholes everywhere and unnecessary fanservice. It's not like they're outright bad, but to someone who loves the series enough to rewatch it every year I'm really salty about it.
I've seen Tri as well, up to part 4 at least, I haven't seen part 5, gonna wait for all the movies to get dubbed and avoid spoilers like the plague. But from what I've seen they were fairly good, not perfect mind you, but they did have moments that both tugged at my heartstrings and had me on the edge of my seat.
I do concede that some of the flaws you listed are valid, the execution didn't hit the mark on occasion, but there has also been worse executions in Digimon. Tri may not be what the fans wanted in the long run, but I think it best, as a fellow fan, to wait until it's finished before any final judgements.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
My favorite anime movie is probably The Sky Crawlers, which pretty much no one seems to have seen unless it's someone I introduced to it. A couple other favorites of mine are Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door and Princess Mononoke.

I do enjoy pretty much anything Studio Ghibli or Makoto Shinkai. I also really enjoy the classics like Akira and Ghost in the Shell. I don't watch a lot of anime movies I don't enjoy, but that's likely because I don't take a lot of chances with them either. I pretty much only watch them if they really interest me or I already know I'll like them.

Veevee

Awards
I've seen Tri as well, up to part 4 at least, I haven't seen part 5, gonna wait for all the movies to get dubbed and avoid spoilers like the plague. But from what I've seen they were fairly good, not perfect mind you, but they did have moments that both tugged at my heartstrings and had me on the edge of my seat.
I do concede that some of the flaws you listed are valid, the execution didn't hit the mark on occasion, but there has also been worse executions in Digimon. Tri may not be what the fans wanted in the long run, but I think it best, as a fellow fan, to wait until it's finished before any final judgements.

Sadly, part 5 is the absolute worst of the movies. I wasn't satisfied up to part 4 but it was watchable (even though part 4 was really cringy and nonsensical - a rookie Digimon is able to deflect a charged mega digimon's (which came out of the ground with no apparent reason btw) charged attack, like what? - but part 5 is just ugh. I can guess which worse executions you're speaking of but it doesn't add to my love knowing that there's even worse Digimon stuff out there. Tri had so much potential and I was really looking forward to see a story about some new Digimon threat, the Digidestined's private problems and dreams and for some interesting quest to look for their obviously missing friends (who nobody actually cares about, bcs, who were the 02 kids again?). The movies had parts that I enjoyed (for example Mimi being Mimi; Joe's development arc; the reappearance of the Dark Sea which was sadly poorly executed) but there was just so much that felt so utterly displaced and wrong to me that the movies just didn't make much sense.
Yes, maybe I should wait until all the movies are out, but until this point they piled up so many questions without an impending answer that I doubt they can mash all of the answers into one movie, at least not in an organic way. Digimon Tri 6 feels pretty much like KH3 to me, there's so many questions, so little time and such inconsistent writers that I'm really worried about it.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
I love Shinkai's movies, my favorite being 5cm/sec. It's my all time favorite movie, not just because it's amazingly beautiful, but also because of all the good memories I have of watching it. Or well, bittersweet memories I guess xD I also really like The Place Promised in Our Early Days by the same director. And then Ghibli movies of course, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle especially. End of Evangelion will always be a very important movie for me too. Summer Wars was nice. Angel's Egg is a classic that I liked as well, and it's really pretty even though I can't say I really understood it. Enjoyed the aesthetics anyway.

I'd love to watch more of the older ones like Perfect Blue etc. but I didn't like Ghost in the Shell that much and Akira looks nice sure, but the plot didn't impress me at all. I found both of them quite boring. But eh, maybe some day I'll return to the classics again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back