• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Chances of a KHx FRONT Cover DLC

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but with some of the recent revelations regarding Union X, I think it's an interesting question to think about.

Not only is Back cover a weird title to me, it also was kind of disappointing as a stand alone cinematic. Now that KH is finally in the new era of DLC, and we've already seen New DLC content for 358/2 Days in the PS4 remaster collection, I wonder is 2.8 could possibly get some new content in the near future regarding all the crazy stuff that's been going on in Union X.

Back cover could stand as the background information and the Front Cover cinematic would follow the 5 Union Leaders and give them more screen time. It would also give us a chance to actually hear what the new characters sound like and get a better look at them on that Unreal 4 engine.

I think we have at least a whole year until KH3 comes out and It's hard to think of a better way for Square to keep up the hype than to drop something like this on our heads.

So what do you guys think? Is this something they've possibly been working on to fill time until Kh3's release? Or do you think there's no way something like this is in the works?

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Personally, I'd rather have Kingdom Hearts Re:Union X as a fully playable PlayStation 4 game for 2019. Starting from Browser X to the climax of Union X. But hey, if that's not on Square Enix's agenda then this would be the next best thing.

Veevee

Awards
While I think what you suggested would be nice, I do not deem it likely. I guess they chose Back Cover as a title because it reveals the other side of the events - and we as players are the front cover - and the cover thing points to the Book of Prophecies. Nomura is busy enough with Union Cross / KH3 and while I think more content might be nice, I also think that many fans would probably go berserk if KH3 was delayed for more union cross-related content (which they would surely assume since some people already went a little berserk over 2.8). At this point Square doesn't exactly need to keep up the hype, we're getting a trailer now and then, they have the mobile game running, we're getting more and more merchandise and people finally want to see KH3. If they're up to add more things to the Back Cover lore, I guess it would be after KH3 because I expect they're going to do a deep dive into that part of the lore than for Kingdom Hearts 4 / 3.99 Re:New World First Breath Prologue, whatever the random word generator is going to spit out. (No bashing, I actually like the titles of the games a lot, but it has become a little ... ridiculous lately with 2.8 and 0.2 and 2.9, but well, I still like it. :D)
... I still find it strange that they added more content for Days. The theatre mode was something easy to make since they had already done that and was probably requested by many, what their thoughts about the Days content were - I don't know.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Personally, I'd rather have Kingdom Hearts Re:Union X as a fully playable PlayStation 4 game for 2019. Starting from Browser X to the climax of Union X. But hey, if that's not on Square Enix's agenda then this would be the next best thing.
Baymax, I completely agree. Nothing to add - this is what should come after KH3. I want to play the X-story in UE4!

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Even now that the relevance of X's plot in the Dark Seeker Saga has reached a worrisome level and Nomura's words that 2.8 would've been enough to understand what was going on seem less and less true, I still think Back Cover was a fine product in its execution. It's the fact that it really was NOT for getting the newbies to understand the plot but for the veterans the problem.

That aside. A Unreal Engine X saga is obviously the wet dream, regarding the DLC... eh. It definitely cannot and should not happen before KH III at this point, and after that we go back to the remake of the entire thing. A single, brief recap DLC would feel wasted at that point.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
A while back, I also discussed how weird and incomplete Backcover is.

My thoughts were actually that they would create a series of "Backcover" movies that will properly display ALL the events of [Chi]/Unchained/Union X. It makes sense imo.

The movie was made using what was sold to us as KH3's cutscene engine essentially. A lot of locations, poses, and movements were reused but heavily covered up with interesting camera positions. I think it's feasible for them to create a mini series of sorts this way. The biggest part is going to be the voice acting and creating all the other characters (Skuld, Ven Ven, Blaine, etc)

I'm just not sure this would work as a real game. I don't want to play a game where I'm replaying the Disney worlds... AGAIN. It's partially why I paused playing chi in the first place.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Baymax, I completely agree. Nothing to add - this is what should come after KH3. I want to play the X-story in UE4!

Glad we're in mutual agreement for this! :)

I'm just not sure this would work as a real game. I don't want to play a game where I'm replaying the Disney worlds... AGAIN. It's partially why I paused playing chi in the first place.

But if this was a thing, the Unreal Engine 4 overlay with the Kingdom Hearts III map design would validate their re-introduction. And let's be honest, if Kingdom Hearts III has more new worlds than returning ones, then these Age of Fairy Tale Disney worlds aren't going to be in Kingdom Hearts III so these returning worlds wouldn't even be stale this time around.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
yeah i agee let the focus on kh3 for now if they want to expand on the ux for ocnsole let it come out after kh3

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
But if this was a thing, the Unreal Engine 4 overlay with the Kingdom Hearts III map design would validate their re-introduction. And let's be honest, if Kingdom Hearts III has more new worlds than returning ones, then these Age of Fairy Tale Disney worlds aren't going to be in Kingdom Hearts III so these returning worlds wouldn't even be stale this time around.

That makes the possibility of that happening even less possible. They aren't going to build out entire worlds to be played for this mobile game story.

Building a set, fine (the sets like we see in Backcover that are probably not complete or playable locations). But they aren't going to spend resources on building worlds to be played.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
That makes the possibility of that happening even less possible. They aren't going to build out entire worlds to be played for this mobile game story.

Building a set, fine (the sets like we see in Backcover that are probably not complete or playable locations). But they aren't going to spend resources on building worlds to be played.

Chain of Memories was originally a Game Boy Advanced game before being remade for the PlayStation 2. It wouldn't be the first time that they did something like this. Plus, mobile games are serious business in Japan regardless of the lower costs of developing them. And besides, Nomura always gets bored of focusing on one project, Chain of Memories and Kingdom Hearts II were simultaneously developed. What's to say that a console remake isn't in the works once this game inevitably deactivates?

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Chain of Memories was an actual legitimate game not based on subscriptions and microtransactions. Every so often they're adding more and more mechanics onto KHUX, it's not a closed off system of a closed off game at all. There's little way they can transfer that mess into a game that will remain interesting. It would be Days all over again, which actually never got remade

Veevee

Awards

As much as I'd like that too, I wonder how that should be possible. Transporting the medal gameplay into a real game is not possible, beginning with the fact that people wouldn't pay as much for extra content in a PS4 game than in a cell phone game. Next, the gameplay is not suited for a "real" game, for a console game, so they would have to make at least a side game with the actual gameplay of the series. To do that I don't consider the game interesting enough, there's not a single new world and converting hundreds of plot-irrelevant sidequests into a decent game would mean it would have to be shortened by a considerable amound and I don't know if it leaves enough flesh then. In the worst case it would be a shitty Days / Coded clone with a few interesting cutscenes and a lot of ice cream which might in this case be numerous visits of worlds we know like our pockets.
My bet is on a movie (series), if they want people to maintain access after KH3. They can't expect people to have played the cell phone game and if they do, they'll probably lose a lot of possible customers. I really hope they do the movies better than Back Cover which had glaring flaws, e.g. Aced not believing in a possible traitor and later yelling at Gula that they don't know who the traitor is yet (without explaining how, when and why he changed his mind). I'd be in for an anime series or such, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back