• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Disney to end Netflix partnership and create their own streaming service.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/08/dis...lix-and-start-its-own-streaming-services.html

This was inevitable. Disney have decided to create their own streaming service for their television programs and feature films. This has garnered mixed response, and with justification too. People can only invest so much in subscription services. But before people vent their frustrations into this, let's really look at the portfolio of Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.

These are the brands that are currently active
Walt Disney Pictures: Their signature brand for live action. Disney Animation and Pixar are also under this banner too.
Walt Disney Animation Studios: Their flagship animation studio.
DisneyToon Studios: Used to be their sequel studio before turning into a budget studio.
Pixar: Disney's subsidiary animation studio.
Marvel: Disney's subsidiary superhero feature film studio.
Lucasfilm: Disney's subsidiary live action studio.

These are the brands that are no longer active
Touchstone Pictures: Used to be a label for adult movies that didn't really fit in the "Disney" brand, how it's the label used for partnership productions with other studios.
Hollywood Pictures: Used to be another label for adult movies that didn't really fit in the "Disney" brand. It became dissolved because they had more valuable brands to focus on.

And that's just in the feature film category. Let's look at what they have to offer within their television services.

These are the brands for television productions
Disney Television Animation: The flagship division for Disney cartoons.
ABC Studios: The Disney-ABC division responsible for a lot of content on ABC. Once Upon A Time, the Marvel Television franchises (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Agent Carter, Cloak and Dagger, Inhumans series etc.)
Marvel Television: The Marvel Television division to Marvel Entertainment. They help with the development of Marvel television series and Marvel animated series.
Marvel Animation: The flagship division for Marvel Entertainments cartoon animation.
Lucasfilm Animation: The flagship division for Lucasfilm cartoon animation.

Personally, I'm not at all concerned about the quality nor quantity of content. I'm more concerned about the price point. They need to be more cost effective than Netflix to even have a margin of chance of survival.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I agree Alpha. As it is, I may end up buying a few more phys copies of their newer movies since well..I never trusted streaming/digital copies for too long. Not after Disney actually blocked the digital copies of their Christmas movies during Christmas one year from playing. (They wanted folks to watch the Disney Channel. Ugh..) (Moana comes to mind b/c sis likes that one..)

Neko has already said he can't pay for more than one streaming service.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Weeell, goodbye disney movies, then. I won't get both and I'm not cancelling netflix either.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Weeell, goodbye disney movies, then. I won't get both and I'm not cancelling netflix either.

Disney feature films are still going to be theatrically released, and you can still buy physical Blu Ray copies if you want to. It's just the digital means of watching said movie that will change.

redcrown

Awards
Disney feature films are still going to be theatrically released, and you can still buy physical Blu Ray copies if you want to. It's just the digital means of watching said movie that will change.

If someone can't afford two streaming services they aren't going to buy the physical copies of the movies either.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Not always redcrown. We have a good library nearby; with newer stuff, I may make sure they get in the newer Disney movies from now on so I can borrow it and pop it in my PS3 to play it.

But I can see someone who can't rent or borrow dvds and can't afford two streaming services not buying the DVDs. What's the point, when you don't know if you want to watch that movie more than once? Barring that, there may be a lot of disney trade ins on Amazon when people didn't like that...

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
Not really a fan of the move but we'll see what happens. Disney does have their DMA Service so maybe they will expand that service to add a monthly subscription.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
Part of me thinks this is their way to finally get ESPN off of cable.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Not always redcrown. We have a good library nearby; with newer stuff, I may make sure they get in the newer Disney movies from now on so I can borrow it and pop it in my PS3 to play it.

But I can see someone who can't rent or borrow dvds and can't afford two streaming services not buying the DVDs. What's the point, when you don't know if you want to watch that movie more than once? Barring that, there may be a lot of disney trade ins on Amazon when people didn't like that...

I personally feel that Disney movies have the best replay value for feature film. The animated movies are a part of history, and the current Marvel Studios slate is equally historic in its own right. If any movie studio has longevity with their feature films, it's Disney.

Part of me thinks this is their way to finally get ESPN off of cable.

Ironically enough, ESPN has a completely independent service from this.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
I have to agree with Void. I just got Netflix back and I'm not getting another service. Netflix isn't going away for me. It is a shame because some of those movies on Netflix my family loves watching are ones we don't own on DVD, and those certain movies gone means now we'll just have to buy those movies separately. Thanks Disney.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
cHQSIie.jpg

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I mean it's not like I'll never watch a disney movie again, but having a dvd/bluray/whatever and watching outside on a phone or tablet are still two entirely different things.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
Oh well, I ain't paying for that shit.
Love you Disney, but hell naw.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I remembered seeing this news but it took me a while to find it again:

Netflix discussing keeping Star Wars and Marvel

Seems they only want to pull Disney and Pixar movies off the service. Well, that helps my DVD/Blu-Ray budget at least. Tho yeah, I'll keep my policy about this stuff..if I really like something, I'll buy it. ^^

[Edit] Also in a way this has already begun. I'm on Uverse. The Uverse app that I have on my Fire stick lets you stream stuff, including live tv. Guess what doesn't have Disney XD and the Disney Channel? Yep. To watch the new Ducktales, I had to install a separate app onto my Fire stick. Ugh..At least this time it's free. It's going to be worse with the new streaming service year after next. No thanks Disney.

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I remembered seeing this news but it took me a while to find it again:

Netflix discussing keeping Star Wars and Marvel

Seems they only want to pull Disney and Pixar movies off the service. Well, that helps my DVD/Blu-Ray budget at least. Tho yeah, I'll keep my policy about this stuff..if I really like something, I'll buy it. ^^

[Edit] Also in a way this has already begun. I'm on Uverse. The Uverse app that I have on my Fire stick lets you stream stuff, including live tv. Guess what doesn't have Disney XD and the Disney Channel? Yep. To watch the new Ducktales, I had to install a separate app onto my Fire stick. Ugh..At least this time it's free. It's going to be worse with the new streaming service year after next. No thanks Disney.

This may sound elitist of me, but I'd rather have the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Star Wars movies be on the Disney streaming service. What's the point of creating this Disney streaming services if the Marvel and Lucasfilm properties are going to be available on Netflix and Amazon Prime? I wanted to consider investing into this service because of the breath of motion pictures that Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures own, this segregation of separating Marvel and Star Wars from the rest of the Disney portfolio is going more harm than good.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
Well, Disney has lots of money. They could probably bring in a lot of shows from the Disney vault.

This will be the reason why i keep a eye on the development of this service. If they bring their cartoon series like Tale Spin, Darkwing Duck, Ducktales, Chip n dale Rescue Rangers, and TV series like "The Famous jet Jackson", I'm sold on this...

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
UGH. Seems their fate's been settled.

Star Wars and Marvel movies will go to the new streaming service

Looks like I have to buy more DVDs and Blue-Ray disks. I'll keep a eye on the service but no thank you, Disney. This is why I prefer the disks if I want to watch something more than once. Especially after I heard of Disney once not letting people watch electronic copies of Christmas movies that were paid for during Christmas b/c they wanted people to watch Disney Channel. Can't stop that with disks though.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Feds OK Disney's BAMTech Buy | Broadcasting & Cable

Disney's stake in BAMTech (the streaming company that Disney's investing for this service) has increased from 35% to 75% thus making them the majority shareholder of the company. MLB Advanced Media originally had the 75% stake, but with this transaction, they're now the minority shareholders.

In layman terms, there's no going back on this streaming service for Disney. Seeing as it's hosting Marvel, Lucasfilm and potentially Touchstone Pictures content, it's definitely not going to be called "Disney ???", moreso, it'll probably have an original name so that the Disney affiliation isn't as apparent (like Freeform and ABC).

SomeKHFan

Awards
Is this streaming service going to be for the US only or going to be for outside the US as well?

Also, not sure if there are any near any of you but there is another option for watching movies for those unable to pay for subscriptions......video rental stores. There are still some around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back