• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

TV ► Cowboy Bebop Live action series

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Welp, it finally happened

Cowboy Bebop Is Getting a Live-Action TV Series - IGN
A live-action television adaptation of Cowboy Bebop is in development.Deadline reports the beloved '90s anime, which follows a group of spacefaring bounty hunters, is in the works at Tomorrow Studios, a join venture between ITV Studios and television producer Marty Adelstein (Prison Break: Resurrection).

Tomorrow Studios is partnering with the Japanese animation studio behind the original anime, Sunrise, as well as Midnight Radio, who'll both executive produce the remake. Christopher Yost, the screenwriter behind both Thor: The Dark World and Thor: Ragnarok, will pen the live-action series. No release date for the remake has been set yet

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
DBpap8FV0AAlC4f.jpg

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
Nobody asked for this. Nobody wants this. Nobody could feasibly pull it off in live action.

This picture, however, is fantastic and the only good thing to come out of this.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
People said it would never happen but since Ghost in the Shell got its live action film this may actually become a thing. Sunrise is aiding with the series so there may be hope.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm loving the casting.
Luke Cage as Jet? I'm all about that.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I hope they give the characters 1,000x more depth than they had in the original anime. I was bored to tears when I finally watched it. The hypetrain surrounding this cardboard anime is mind-boggling.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
If this turns out to be a hit I want to see more Netflix adaptations of other oldschool Adult Swim anime. A live action Trigun would be amazing

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I hope they give the characters 1,000x more depth than they had in the original anime. I was bored to tears when I finally watched it. The hypetrain surrounding this cardboard anime is mind-boggling.

Attachments

• toon_link_is_disgusted_by_pit_and_darkpit_fan2_dcol9am-fullview-1.jpg
    toon_link_is_disgusted_by_pit_and_darkpit_fan2_dcol9am-fullview-1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 3

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
It actually makes sense that Ed would be the second hardest casting decision (the hardest clearly being best boi Ein). The other three members are walking, talking, archetypes that have been tried and tested in live-action, but Ed's character is so cartoonish that they may have to reinvent Ed's character significantly.

As for the rest, I'm not quite familiar with the actors potraying Jet and Faye, but John Cho as Spike is definitely a great choice in casting.

D

Deleted member 246005

After Death Note, I lost my optimism for American adaptations so I'm pretty wary of new attempts. Maybe Cowboy Bebop could break the mold because it's a cyberpunk noir/"space western" but I've been burned before.

Adapting Cowboy Bebop as a tv show is a double edge sword to me. At first glance, it has an episodic nature that lends itself more easily to TV than Film. But the success of the anime was because it didn't overstay it's welcome so I'm curious if they can still keep Cowboy Bebop after 3-4 seasons etc.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
How’re people feelin’ about the opening credits tho?

I for one have been as skeptical as anyone but they really knocked it out of the park with this IMO, it does inspire confidence that they’re making every effort to stay true to the spirit of the original—with Yoko Kanno on board no less. Dare I say it, I’m hyped.

D

Deleted member 246005

I thought it looked fun

I'm hoping for new cases than adapting existing episodes.

LostArtist

Awards
I only started watching the anime about 2 weeks ago and only finished 8 episodes so far.Regarding the anime, so far it doesn’t stand out to me. There are some episodes that I found more interesting than others, but overall it follows a very episodic feel, it feels arcless and feels like filler. I know ep 5 characters are going to reoccur but other than that the other episodes (for the most part) feel very self contained. Not my cup of tea so far. However, looking forward to seeing how the rest of the anime goes.

Regarding live action intro, I find it interesting that it includes some characters from individual episodes that, as far as I know, only appear in one episode. (Unless I’m mistaking the characters in that intro)

Also, the anime ED song has to be in it somehow, it’s so goood, too good not to include in live action series.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I only started watching the anime about 2 weeks ago and only finished 8 episodes so far.Regarding the anime, so far it doesn’t stand out to me. There are some episodes that I found more interesting than others, but overall it follows a very episodic feel, it feels arcless and feels like filler. I know ep 5 characters are going to reoccur but other than that the other episodes (for the most part) feel very self contained. Not my cup of tea so far. However, looking forward to seeing how the rest of the anime goes.
That's like the entire point of the show. o_0 To be a series of standalone tales in a particular setting. It allows each episode to have its own mood/tone/mini genre, be it action heavy, comedy, melancholy, horror, psychological, gritty film noir, tragedy, the show runs the gambit.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards

Regarding live action intro, I find it interesting that it includes some characters from individual episodes that, as far as I know, only appear in one episode. (Unless I’m mistaking the characters in that intro)

Also, the anime ED song has to be in it somehow, it’s so goood, too good not to include in live action series.
I had a similar opinion of the show when I was first watching it as a young teenager. The older I get though and with each subsequent watch-through, I find it more and more to be a true timeless classic and it has over the years stuck in my head and become one of my favorite series ever, anime or otherwise.

Episodes that felt like filler when I was younger now hold a greater significance for me, in fleshing out these different characters and demonstrating who they are. And each characters' arcs aren't told through 4 episodes in a row, but rather over the course of the series with different jobs inbetween, and I appreciate that realism just the same as how in life we frequently have waiting periods between big or momentous moments.

When a series is episodic, it's hard to call anything filler. When someone makes a show episodic, it's a creative choice that allows them to tell multiple stories and not always require people to tune in week to week, sometimes life gets in the way. They can flip the channel, see this show they enjoy, and enjoy an entire small story right there without missing anything. Whereas with filler it's more like, hey, we need something to kill time while the manga develops further, buy us a year with a 54 episode filler arc, buy us a few months with a 12 episode arc. Sometimes there's also the fun filler just to get to enjoy the characters on an offbeat adventure, very similar to the original-story movies we see so frequently in anime.

I look at the way Cowboy Bebop is presented very similar to something like The X-Files. They're always moving towards something, even if the episode doesn't quite get you there as fast as others. Another great example is Firefly, Firefly and Bebop have been compared to death due to their episodic structure and space cowboy settings, how even when they're on a job you you catch these little character moments during these smaller scale stories that can help you get attached to these people, and in the back of your head you always know "Spike is gonna run into Vicious again," or in Firefly's case "We're going to find out what experiments were done on River and see why she ended up so crazy."

I'm not saying Bebop has to be for everybody, there's a chance you'll finish it and still not feel the same about it as it's fanbase. But several reasons people love it are for its gorgeous '90s artstyle that still holds up today, its stellar soundtrack that has always differentiated it from the rest of the pack and gave it that certain "air," and then our lovable (subjective, sure) cast of imperfect souls all running to or from something on the way to their next meal. Each from different walks of life, people who may not have been friends at one point or another (and arguably still aren't sometimes) somehow all found themselves together in the same place with similar needs. The way these people who you wouldn't think would blend happen to blend together so perfectly is just awesome.

Back