• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Evangelion - Anno apologizes about 3.0 + 1.0, 3.0 burned him out

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Dam that is freaking cool. There are a ton of hints. o_O

See, that's what I meant when talking about material for countless new theories among the EVA fandom, lol.
Some say EVA is crazy and very hard to understand, but that's arguably one of the issues which makes it so interesting.

If anything the ending of the manga even further hints towards this considering what exactly happens there.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
See, that's what I meant when talking about material for countless new theories among the EVA fandom, lol.
Some say EVA is crazy and very hard to understand, but that's arguably one of the issues which makes it so interesting.

If anything the ending of the manga even further hints towards this considering what exactly happens there.

I do like that there is massive amounts of hints and symbolism in EVA, but at times it feels like that there is so much of it that it feels a bit overwhelming. Like you really would need to go trough scene by scene to catch it all.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I do like that there is massive amounts of hints and symbolism in EVA, but at times it feels like that there is so much of it that it feels a bit overwhelming. Like you really would need to go trough scene by scene to catch it all.

I can certainly understand and confirm this sort of "overwhelmed" feeling EVA gives out at first because it was the very same for me when I first watched it in the early 2000s (I was already a big EVA nerd before I became a KH one, just ask Taochan as many of our early VMs/PMs revolved around discussing EVA stuff, lol).
One really needs to watch/read the EVA material thrice or even more to get a fuller picture and notice also the more subtle stuff.

There is this saying that the more often you watch EVA, the more small nuances you understand about it and the more interpretations of certain events and situations you can come up with. ^___^

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
I can certainly understand and confirm this sort of "overwhelmed" feeling EVA gives out at first because it was the very same for me when I first watched it in the early 2000s (I was already a big EVA nerd before I became a KH one, just ask Taochan as many of our early VMs/PMs revolved around discussing EVA stuff, lol).
One really needs to watch/read the EVA material thrice or even more to get a fuller picture and notice also the more subtle stuff.

There is this saying that the more often you watch EVA, the more small nuances you understand about it and the more interpretations of certain events and situations you can come up with. ^___^

I am now curious about the things you have discussed with Taochan.

In a side note, I read a book yesterday about a survivor of the atomic bomb in Hiroshima and the survivors describes the very first weeks being rather hot. It strangely got me thinking to the Second Impact and how the climate stopped, changing it to an permanent summer in Japan. I wonder if the atomic bomb and it`s after effects was something the creators of EVA drew inspiration from?

I don`t own any EVA material and I watched the original anime and the Rebuilds from a shady sites on the internet, but lately I have been thinking and planning on at least buying the original series in a DVD and some of the manga volumes.

I have this feeling that I want to watch some of the episodes again, possible with a notebook in hand. But even thou if I share this interest on potential theory crafting and symbolism hunting, part of me feels that it`s a bit pointless for a long series that has been running this long. Even if I would find anything interesting, I think it would mostly be something that has been discovered earlier by someone else, and I could not actually bring anything new or interesting to the discussion table.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards

In a side note, I read a book yesterday about a survivor of the atomic bomb in Hiroshima and the survivors describes the very first weeks being rather hot. It strangely got me thinking to the Second Impact and how the climate stopped, changing it to an permanent summer in Japan. I wonder if the atomic bomb and it`s after effects was something the creators of EVA drew inspiration from?

I don`t own any EVA material and I watched the original anime and the Rebuilds from a shady sites on the internet, but lately I have been thinking and planning on at least buying the original series in a DVD and some of the manga volumes.

I have this feeling that I want to watch some of the episodes again, possible with a notebook in hand. But even thou if I share this interest on potential theory crafting and symbolism hunting, part of me feels that it`s a bit pointless for a long series that has been running this long. Even if I would find anything interesting, I think it would mostly be something that has been discovered earlier by someone else, and I could not actually bring anything new or interesting to the discussion table.

But you could look up the things you have found and see what others have already discussed/where else that might all lead.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
But you could look up the things you have found and see what others have already discussed/where else that might all lead.

Yeah, you are right.

Also, if others have come to a similar conclusion, I guess it just means that the idea/theory that has been created is likely true. Or at least I can take confront of not sounding like a crazy person if others have made similar observations about things. :D

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Oh dear, those are really old, lol, probably from the days when I was still a newbie around here (and Tao not yet an Admin so she had more time for, ahem, some longer VM conversations I'm a little notorious for ;P).

I actually wouldn't rule out some inspirations coming from this topic as well since EVA is practically a pile of different inspirations and themes thrown together (like i.e. the tree of Sephiroth, Lance of Longinus, the Qumran-scrolls of the Dead Sea being the basics on which SEELE operates, cross-shaped energy blasts and much more).
The N2 mine for all intents and purposes actually IS an atomic bomb in sheer destructive power, only without the whole radiation stuff.

Heh, EVA is originally from 1995, at that time I was a 9/10 year old pipsqueak who wasn't at all interested in this "japanese anime"-stuff (and it wasn't that known around here anyways, not until things like Sailor Moon and Dragonball paved the way). So when I came into the fandom and started to indulge in it I was more or less in the same situation as you are in right now. Didn't stop me from interpreting and theorizing at all and I was happy in the end to find several people who made similar observations and shared several parts of my own interpretations, almost like a pat on the head for my observation skills, passively telling me that yes, I have a knack for such things.
Building on already existing interpretations and theories to expand them or give them a personal spin can also be very rewarding. ^__^

Also, if others have come to a similar conclusion, I guess it just means that the idea/theory that has been created is likely true. Or at least I can take confront of not sounding like a crazy person if others have made similar observations about things. :D

That too, certainly.
Another fine thing about EVA is also that there are only a handful of things that are really explicitly confirmed through "word of God" so there are several different ideas/interpretations and theories that can exist perfectly beside each other because one of them can be truly proven as "false" from actual material.
EVA having several incarnations of the same "base story" with different nuances and small but significant differences also helps greatly with this diversity as one can like a certain interpretation/incarnation as personal favorite without it being derided as "not the true canon" because they all stand more or less equal beside each other.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
I actually wouldn't rule out some inspirations coming from this topic as well since EVA is practically a pile of different inspirations and themes thrown together (like i.e. the tree of Sephiroth, Lance of Longinus, the Qumran-scrolls of the Dead Sea being the basics on which SEELE operates, cross-shaped energy blasts and much more).
The N2 mine for all intents and purposes actually IS an atomic bomb in sheer destructive power, only without the whole radiation stuff.

Atom bomb was the first thing that came to my mind too when I saw the N2 mine explode for the first time. It made you feel pretty insignificant, when a weapon with that kind of destructive power was not able to damage the Angels. They are freaking scary creatures.

Heh, EVA is originally from 1995, at that time I was a 9/10 year old pipsqueak who wasn't at all interested in this "japanese anime"-stuff (and it wasn't that known around here anyways, not until things like Sailor Moon and Dragonball paved the way). So when I came into the fandom and started to indulge in it I was more or less in the same situation as you are in right now. Didn't stop me from interpreting and theorizing at all and I was happy in the end to find several people who made similar observations and shared several parts of my own interpretations, almost like a pat on the head for my observation skills, passively telling me that yes, I have a knack for such things.
Building on already existing interpretations and theories to expand them or give them a personal spin can also be very rewarding. ^__^

Yeah, you and Max are correct. I probably should try adopting a this kind of mindset when thinking about stuff. After all, for example science works better with co-operation and by sharing results, not just trying to rush and be the person who discovered something new first.

That too, certainly.
Another fine thing about EVA is also that there are only a handful of things that are really explicitly confirmed through "word of God" so there are several different ideas/interpretations and theories that can exist perfectly beside each other because one of them can be truly proven as "false" from actual material.
EVA having several incarnations of the same "base story" with different nuances and small but significant differences also helps greatly with this diversity as one can like a certain interpretation/incarnation as personal favorite without it being derided as "not the true canon" because they all stand more or less equal beside each other.

Man, that actually leaves room quite a bit for theory crafting and interpretation for the fans. Guess I have gotten a little bit used to KH`s method of Nomura confirming stuff trough interviews.

Talking about interpretation, I have been thinking a lot of the ending scene of End of Evangelion. The red bloody line in the sky which seems to reach even to the moon, is that supposed to be some sort twisted rainbow? The two frozen EVA`s in the sea also remind me of the crucifixion of Jesus, how there beside him in his left side and right were two other criminals(so that leaves Asuka and Shinji into the middle/center).

There is so much Christian imagery/symbolism in this series, hell even starting from it`s name.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Atom bomb was the first thing that came to my mind too when I saw the N2 mine explode for the first time. It made you feel pretty insignificant, when a weapon with that kind of destructive power was not able to damage the Angels.
Yup, makes one realize how powerful the AT Field is.
And once you learn that the AT Field is practically a soul projection barrier and how the Angels can manipulate their own souls in such a manner the awe only increases.
(Not to mention that when having realized this you can then realize that when EVA-Units rip apart an Angels AT-Field in order to damage them they're essentially violating/ripping apart their souls and the Spear of Longinus can literally "stab through a soul" like a knife through butter).

They are freaking scary creatures.
Indeed, and then you realize that despite their largely weird and creepy physical forms they're essentially all children, Sandalphon (the one in the volcano) even is strictly spoken a baby.

Yeah, you and Max are correct. I probably should try adopting a this kind of mindset when thinking about stuff. After all, for example science works better with co-operation and by sharing results, not just trying to rush and be the person who discovered something new first.

Man, that actually leaves room quite a bit for theory crafting and interpretation for the fans. Guess I have gotten a little bit used to KH`s method of Nomura confirming stuff trough interviews.

Talking about interpretation, I have been thinking a lot of the ending scene of End of Evangelion. The red bloody line in the sky which seems to reach even to the moon, is that supposed to be some sort twisted rainbow? The two frozen EVA`s in the sea also remind me of the crucifixion of Jesus, how there beside him in his left side and right were two other criminals(so that leaves Asuka and Shinji into the middle/center).

There is so much Christian imagery/symbolism in this series, hell even starting from it`s name.

Exactly, not everyone needs to invent the wheel anew.

There are some facts that are given like this in EVA sourcebooks or artbooks, but much less than it is in KH overall.

Good question, lol. I've always wondered why giant Lilith's/Rei's blood somehow "froze" and remained hanging like this in the sky.
That imagery certainly fits even if it is on the backdrop of a (red) ocean instead of a hill.

Indeed, and it is mixed up with stuff from other religions and belief systems like the tree of life from the Kabbalah and several of the Angel names are derived from hebrew mythology like the book of enoch.
I.e. the 4th Angel Shamshel (the one with the pink whips, Shamsiel in mythology) translates literally to "sun of god" and is described as the Guardian of the gates to the Garden of Eden.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Indeed, and then you realize that despite their largely weird and creepy physical forms they're essentially all children, Sandalphon (the one in the volcano) even is strictly spoken a baby.

I haven`t given much thought to that but it actually makes things even more twisted. Like, they are shown as these hideous monsters and with having a rather disturbing physical appearance, they are but.... essentially they are killing children. You just need a freaking huge mecha to do it.

Also that volcano episode is one my favorites.

Good question, lol. I've always wondered why giant Lilith's/Rei's blood somehow "froze" and remained hanging like this in the sky.
That imagery certainly fits even if it is on the backdrop of a (red) ocean instead of a hill.

One of the ideas that came to my mind when I saw it was that maybe it could be a nod to the Great Flood story? The world is destroyed by God and only the selected few survive because of the ark. At the end God shows the rainbow as a promise no to the destroy the world again. The impacts could be the "flood", basically the thing that destroyed the world. EoE has sort an apocalypse at the end(I think...), and the frozen blood acts as "promise" like the rainbow that there won´t be any more impacts after this. But yeah I don`t have than that support this idea.

Also in another note, is it just me but at the end when Asuka touches Shinji`s cheeck, isn`t the way she does almost identical to what Yui did previously? That can`t be a coincidence.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
allegedly

Thank you for that, Max. :)

It's really hard to get excited by bare bones tweets like this. The version of Eva I love died with the conclusion of the manga. I need Taochan here to stoke some hypeflames. ;0;

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Thank you for that, Max. :)

It's really hard to get excited by bare bones tweets like this. The version of Eva I love died with the conclusion of the manga. I need Taochan here to stoke some hypeflames. ;0;

I speak to ghosts and Taochan’s ghost told me “I DON’T AH” I think all of the Mari got to her.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Heh, lucky I always put my inner EAV fan safely in the fridge to pull back out once Anno finally comes around.

If you're used to Togashi and Hunter X Hunter's hiatuses, you can handle EVA!

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Ooh yeeeaaah, no better way to generate interest towards the film than to show Mari shooting randomly at things...

In a more positive note, I am quite looking forward to seeing the scenary and overall visual aspects of the film. The third movie showed a very brutal but interesting landscape after the impact, so I hope they'll explore that world. The blue sky makes a beautiful contrast with the red, barren landscape.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
Heh, lucky I always put my inner EAV fan safely in the fridge to pull back out once Anno finally comes around.

If you're used to Togashi and Hunter X Hunter's hiatuses, you can handle EVA!

I only recently got into HXH. My hiatus series was Black Lagoon forever.

Back