• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anyone else irked a bit at 0.2?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Hey, if I come off as condescending, that is kinda my problem. I still think it shouldn't affect the main argument that much.

Midori

Awards
I understand that some people's opinions can hurt, and I do believe you can challenge those hurtful opinions. However, for something as innocent as stating your favorite character, you shouldn't have to put up with people scoffing at you. :\ I've seen people get anon hate just for liking certain characters. That's not cool.

Last edited:

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I understand and share not being mean for the sake of being mean and not trying to force other to change, but someone who likes a pretty much confirmed bad standard and gets offended if being told so kinda needs to grow up a bit.
I wouldn't go as far as mocking them for it, but c'mon. It's not that I will lose sleep if one can't accept a negative judgement, but if they can't do that in a videogame discussion, I see a though life ahead of them.

This is starting to be about the definition of bad: no one decided that bad means "never watch it or enjoy it": bad things are popular. There are movies MADE to be bad and enjoyed by a market of people.
I at the very least use "bad" only to point out a production value, not as something that shouldn't be enjoyed.

Whether it's good, bad or in-between, whether your perception was based off production value or any other aspect, it's really not anyone's authority to make a judgement call on someone's standards. It's berating and emphasizes a negative dynamic in the community. You are not entertainment, writing, gaming, or production Jesus. We are different folks with differing opinions. That's it. I would not say anyone else's schooled set of standards should align with my own, and that they should just accept my point of view or grow up. That's presumptuous.

Yes, we're in a forum about videogames where the atmosphere should probably be more lighthearted than it is, but you get some very cutting, elitist views on varying matters, and the community literally voices their concerns about negativity. It all ties into the kind of environment you want to create here though. By your own words, you might expect people to tell you that you have bad standards, and you shouldn't be upset by it. If you're ambivalent about your interactions bearing a minor condescending attitude, then I dunno, maybe that's what you put out into the universe.

I'm sure you have very valid reasons how you would like your Kingdom Hearts experience to be, whether it's making sure that it's not trope heavy, that the climax takes place before the ending, or that the production team should hire a more racially diverse group of devs (these are throwaway examples), but so does everyone else.

I understand that some people's opinions can hurt, and I do believe you can challenge those hurtful opinions. However, for something as innocent as stating your favorite character, you shouldn't have to put up with people scoffing at you. :\ I've seen people get anon hate just for liking certain characters. That's not cool.

It's ridiculous to have to deal with that. The anonymous hate is unacceptable. Though I feel like it's infinitely easier to not see somebody else's POV, and so it's more commonplace than I like. If you feel confident enough in your own opinion, without refuting facts (the only thing we should be helping 'correct' eachother on, sans tude), you don't need to accept their faux superiority based on having a textbook on Writing 101, for example - neverminding facts like influential, literary geniuses spanning the ages have despised eachother's different, credible ways of writing. On the opposite side of that coin, if you're secure in your opinion, there's no need to disparage another's.

Last edited:

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
in the case of 'wrong opinions' or 'opinions based on fact' is the KH1/2 vs BBS/DDD game balance situation. the programming and balance of the former is objectively better than the latter but that doesn't stop people from preferring the latter-- the rules are unclear here, how do we reach the one unanimous decision?

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Keep gameplay purely subjective. That's easy. The only objective facts are things the game and Nomura tells us word for word.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
in the case of 'wrong opinions' or 'opinions based on fact' is the KH1/2 vs BBS/DDD game balance situation. the programming and balance of the former is objectively better than the latter but that doesn't stop people from preferring the latter-- the rules are unclear here, how do we reach the one unanimous decision?

I would say you don't have to. There doesn't need to be a hive mind answer for this story has the best plot, character, themes, music, animations, controls, etc. as long as differing opinions are supplemented with basic reasoning. We would all have the same rung of descending favorites if we had to dictate in stone what's what.

Just to use your example, what good is bringing up that KHII has a better balanced system than BBS if the players don't experience a benefit of that? I mean, an "objectively better" balanced game sounds great on paper, but does not necessarily make a more fun game. You could argue that many prefer self-paced growth rather than waiting for the second plot-based Jafar fight to upgrade your spells, that being able to utilize every aspect of the games mechanics from the start is liberating, and finding the spikes in difficulty is more opportunistic than a hinderence. However, if your tendencies toward the structure of the former elevate your experience, then bravo. But John Doe doesn't like it and tells you to reconsider your ideas on being concerned with balance, they're old hat, and it shouldn't prevent you from enjoying the game just as much if not moreso than the more balanced titles. Anyone can draw their own conclusions to why a game performs best, but it doesn't make it finite to that point of view.

Last edited:

Smithee

Awards
Truth be told, 358/2's plot was boring and depressing; Mission Mode was the main selling point for me.

However, DDD was the shark-jumper in both gameplay (e.g., Forced Drops) and story (e.g., time-traveling Horcruxes), IMO.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Truth be told, 358/2's plot was boring and depressing; Mission Mode was the main selling point for me.

However, DDD was the shark-jumper in both gameplay (e.g., Forced Drops) and story (e.g., time-traveling Horcruxes), IMO.

I thought Days was a good game. I didn't play Mission Mode too often because I didn't want to get a "game over." DDD was kind of forced with making Xehanort basically Lord Voldermort.

I have never actually gotten 0.2 because it's too expensive, the story is too short and feels like it is shoehorning Aqua into the events of the first Kingdom Hearts game and then basically resets by having Aqua sent back into the Realm of Darkness (from what I have heard) after Sora, Donald, Goofy, Riku and Micky Mouse seal the doors and defeat Ansem Seeker of Darkness.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I always feel as though these Kingdom Hearts games get heavy praise for the first two months, then everyone tears them apart for every little flaw that they have.

Personally, 0.2 is just a taster for how Kingdom Hearts III will feel like, that's what I got out of it. I didn't expect any major plot revelations, and story gave me far more than I was expecting. X Back Cover on the other hand is a genuine concern.

Muke

whatever
Awards
I always feel as though these Kingdom Hearts games get heavy praise for the first two months, then everyone tears them apart for every little flaw that they have.

Personally, 0.2 is just a taster for how Kingdom Hearts III will feel like, that's what I got out of it. I didn't expect any major plot revelations, and story gave me far more than I was expecting. X Back Cover on the other hand is a genuine concern.
While I mostly agree with you and think people should be critical from the get-go instead of being over-protective because it's a nee installment, it being a taster for KH3 does not excuse it from getting criticized. Especially things like controls, bosses, etc. should be criticized because it is a taster for KH3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back