• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Voice Acting Criticisms

• Thread starter Deleted member 235902
  • Start date

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 235902

I have seen countless posts about voice acting, especially Sora's, but I've decided to make one with some criticisms. Comment with your criticisms and hopes for future releases' voice acting.

Sora

• Many people have been saying voices change with age, myself included, which is correct, but I have seen a few people act like this completely excuses Haley Joel Osment from improving. He should still try and improve.

• I think Haley needs to practice more since it's been a while since the last KH game. He sounded a lot better in the Gummi Ship scene than he did in the Mysterious Tower scenes, but he still sounded a little iffy. It sounds way too forced, so he needs to practice to make it sound more natural. The ending of every sentence goes up in tone which makes him sound too whiny and childish.

• Haley has aged naturally, but they haven't allowed Sora to age naturally alongside Haley, because of all the non-Sora games since KH2. They shouldn't be afraid to make Sora sound slightly more mature. Sora is slightly older after all. Haley's regular voice sounds basically like a less evil Vanitas, so maybe they should go with something a little closer to his regular voice, except slightly more in-character and Sora-esque of course.

• Sora's voice sounds sort of like a 30 year old man trying to do a teenager impression, which is strange, because Haley's regular voice sounds like a natural teenage voice even though he's not a teenager. This is why I think they should try out something closer to his regular voice.
Kairi

• I definitely hope they're able to get Hayden Panettiere back for KH3. I like Alyson Stoner, but it wouldn't be the same if any of the main characters' voices were changed. In my mind, Hayden is Kairi and Alyson is Xion. They don't feel like the same characters if their voices are reversed.
Riku

• He sounded perfect, except he sounded younger in a few parts which is strange. Especially when he said "Sora-esque". Not that noticeable, just a minor criticism. I don't really care if they fix that or not, he sounds great either way.
Donald

• Donald sounded very slightly different as well. I actually like this change though, because it seems like they're making his words easier to understand.
Mickey

• Mickey sounded fine for the most part, they can't perfectly replace Wayne Allwine of course. There were some moments though where he sounded straight up weird. Especially when he said "I thought, I heard her voice in the distance". It didn't sound like Mickey at all, it sounded all nasally. I'm not sure what's up with Bret Iwan, because he sounded perfect in Dream Drop Distance. He seems to have gone back to how Mickey sounded in Re:coded. I'm not sure how you can improve so much, then go right back to how it was before like that. Maybe he just forgot? They should definitely try and see if he can make his Mickey voice just like how it was in DDD again.
I also wanted to add a quick note here about lip syncing. It was fine for the most part, but there were definitely noticeable moments. Yen Sid during the after credits scenes was especially bad. Since it's the last cutscene, I'm assuming that was rushed. This is why I'm glad KH3 doesn't have a release date yet. No release date means things aren't rushed. Let's hope KH3's release date doesn't get announced until after they're pretty much completely finished.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
This is why I'm glad KH3 doesn't have a release date yet. No release date means things aren't rushed.
Uh, that's not actually what that means. KH3 doesn't have a public release date, but it definitely has an internal one, complete with a budget schedule. Just because KH3's release date hasn't been made public doesn't mean they can take as long as they want.

I also wanted to add a quick note here about lip syncing. It was fine for the most part, but there were definitely noticeable moments. Yen Sid during the after credits scenes was especially bad.
I think most of his lines they basically fish-faced in the 2.9 scene.

Last edited:

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Yen-Sid was definitely fish faced during some ending bits. Aqua had a few fish faces too.

As for Sora's VA, I was chatting with some people on Reddit about this. I'll cp the biggest post I had with their examples, and then my response to it. The rest of your post I pretty much agree with.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

My response
Spoiler Spoiler Show

All that said, while I do think Sora could improve, I don't agree with a lot of people saying his voice or acting was exceptionally better in KH2. He's probably a little better than he's ever been, the main problem is straining to make his voice sound younger. His normal voice is closer to Vanitas than it is to Sora.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
This is why I'm glad KH3 doesn't have a release date yet. No release date means things aren't rushed. Let's hope KH3's release date doesn't get announced until after they're pretty much completely finished.
problem they already have a release date internal not in public just yet my guess it found out the date in e3 this year but you also wrong just they haven't date yet to annocend doesn't mean they should annoced it when the game is finished keep in mind disney would like to have this game come out soon or later and it will come out march 2018

as for sora voice acting critisim but after somedoy made a clip with 2 voice i had no problems with it

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
They fix that high pitch tone he does at the end of some of his lines and that'll fix all my issues with his voice direction.

In the end i'm not too worried,really can't imagine them going with the same direction with KH3 Sora.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I'm not expecting Sora to have less-evil-Vanitas-voice, at least not in this saga. Just as long as it stays away from DDD Sora levels of forced-sounding, I think it'll be fine.

D

Deleted member 235902

Uh, that's not actually what that means. KH3 doesn't have a public release date, but it definitely has an internal one, complete with a budget schedule. Just because KH3's release date hasn't been made public doesn't mean they can take as long as they want.

When there's a public release date, fans rush them more.

I'm not expecting Sora to have less-evil-Vanitas-voice, at least not in this saga. Just as long as it stays away from DDD Sora levels of forced-sounding, I think it'll be fine.

DDD Sora sounds way better than 0.2 Sora in my opinion (when he's in his KH2 form, not in his younger form).

Ven_Roxas

Awards
My only complaint with the voice acting is the fact we didn't get Hayden for Kairi. I Sora sounded fine to me. His dialogue was a little immature, but voice was fine to me.

I think we should start the hashtag #Hayden4KH3

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
I agree with everything said about Sora's voice in the first post. That's exactly how I feel and it actually bothered me quite a lot during his cutscenes in 0.2. Because of the voice and not really being the biggest fan of Sora's face in his new model he didn't really even feel like Sora somehow. I don't know. And yeah, Kairi's voice sounded very different, not all that bad but definitely different.

Honestly for me though the most important voice acting are battle quotes since we have to listen to them all the time through the game, at least cutscenes can be skipped. As long as they get those right for Sora I can live with it.

Precursor Mar

Sora's voice is getting so grating that I'm honestly hoping Riku becomes the main protagonist. I'd pay to have David whisper sweet nothings into my ear.

Alison's Kairi would really be fine IF she had debuted in KH2. Her performance resembles the peppy and bubbly voice Kairi had in KH1 a lot.
KH2 Kairi's voice was really calm and subdued.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
A lot of people praised Willa this time around for 0.2, I think it's the same that wioth the game itself: definitely improved from 0.2, but not necessarily good or satisfying.
Willa definitely showed she can get there and have a good performance, but it seems like someone in the voice acting staff keeps telling her to be more of a soulless doll.

I thought Mickey was okay, the few Kairi's lines didn't leave a good impression.
I also don't really feel much when Sora speaks if not a bit of irritation, and talking about DDD, I still really miss Zane for Ansem.

Zero Sora

Now comes with 50% more bullshit
Awards
Honestly, the only problem I have is the fact they keep switching Hayden and Alyson around when it comes to Kairi/Xion. Haley sounds fine to me. I have no problem with him voicing Sora. So thankfully when KH3 comes around, I'll be one of the few not bothered by it.

Ree

Sora sounded good in the Gummi Ship but in the Mysterious Tower he was pretty bad, he was still trying so hard to sound young and peppy in that scene.
wasn't a huge fan of Kairi aside from "WHAT?!?!".
The rest sounded good, i even liked Mickey.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I was genuinely hoping Terra would sound more sincere, as I actually didn't hate Jason Dohring in BBS. His deliveries in 0.2 are just disappointing. It's sad, because I really want to root for him, but he's just not a natural voice actor.

D

Deleted member 235902

I was genuinely hoping Terra would sound more sincere, as I actually didn't hate Jason Dohring in BBS. His deliveries in 0.2 are just disappointing. It's sad, because I really want to root for him, but he's just not a natural voice actor.

I thought he was great in 0.2. He was terrible in BBS in my opinion.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I thought he was great in 0.2. He was terrible in BBS in my opinion.

#toeachthereown #unpopularopinionsthreadme

I thought having spent more time with the character his reads for Terra progressively became more natural, believable. Here he just flatlined. Then again, it is basically one scene, so f me right?

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
While we're discussing voice acting, can we all take a moment to appreciate Jason's fantastic "That is enough!" line as Terra? For the guy who got the most flak of the BBS trio's voice cast, that moment was superb.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I certainly found Jason Dohring's performance in 0.2 better than for the majority of BBS itself.
He does have some gems already in BBS, but overall it wasn't consistent.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
While we're discussing voice acting, can we all take a moment to appreciate Jason's fantastic "That is enough!" line as Terra? For the guy who got the most flak of the BBS trio's voice cast, that moment was superb.
Even in BBS, Terra's VA was significantly better whenever he emoted, which was usually in a scream of rage. Glad it carried over into 0.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back