• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Nostalgic games that you realized weren't that good?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Are there any nostalgic video games you liked as a kid, but then replayed years later only to realize they weren't really that good?

I'll start with one myself:

Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly - Despite the fact that I grew up with it, I can safely say that this game really, really sucks. From the terrible controls and minigames to the horrible looking models and inaccurate bubble breath, this game is just absolutely nightmarish to play all of the way through. The atmosphere is bright and colorful, sure, and the soundtrack is still really tight, but otherwise it's just simply not at all easy to play and some of the minigames are simply mind numbing in their complexity or difficulty. I'd stay away at all costs from this one.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Are there any nostalgic video games you liked as a kid, but then replayed years later only to realize they weren't really that good?

I'll start with one myself:

Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly - Despite the fact that I grew up with it, I can safely say that this game really, really sucks. From the terrible controls and minigames to the horrible looking models and inaccurate bubble breath, this game is just absolutely nightmarish to play all of the way through. The atmosphere is bright and colorful, sure, and the soundtrack is still really tight, but otherwise it's just simply not at all easy to play and some of the minigames are simply mind numbing in their complexity or difficulty. I'd stay away at all costs from this one.

Good example here. I liked it as a kid but in comparison...ugh.

For me, its probably the early Pokémon games. From a personal point of view, I still like them, but I couldnt explain why.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Medal of Honor Heroes for the PSP only comes to mind. That and Fire Team Bravo 1/2.

Pandymint

Awards
One is definitely DBZ Sagas. As a kid I thought it was so cool, but then I got older and realized "oh my god this game is terrible."

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
A Shrek game I used to play on my old GBA (that I unfortunately do not own anymore).

I used to like it, even though I would die A LOT. I got so nostalgic, that a couple of months ago, I started to emulate it. Unfortunately, despite the music not being that bad, it still has meh controls and it's very repetitive.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
A Shrek game I used to play on my old GBA (that I unfortunately do not own anymore).

I used to like it, even though I would die A LOT. I got so nostalgic, that a couple of months ago, I started to emulate it. Unfortunately, despite the music not being that bad, it still has meh controls and it's very repetitive.

Was it Shrek super smash?

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Even though I probably realised they weren't really any good already during the PS2 era, I grew up playing and loving the Battle Arena Toshinden games. I still think they have awesome soundtracks and memorable character design though, so I'd love a reboot in the hands of a more capable fighting game developer like Namco.

33cck7q.jpg

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
This Looney Tunes game I had for Wii, it was fairly easy and just got boring after awhile imo.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Every horse game ever. I played like all of them and they're all terrible. A good horse game does not exist. I still loved them all as a kid.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase for the PlayStation 1. After watching Caddicarus review for the game, I just came to realise how much of a clunky carbon copy it is from Crash Bandicoot. Licensed games are usually terrible to begin with so I have only myself to blame for liking it as a kid.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
The 10th anniversary GBA port of the original Sonic the Hedgehog. I haven't actually replayed the game itself, but based on a lot of reviews I've seen, it seems like this game was panned by everyone for laggy gameplay and bad music. I'm not gonna lie, this port is what got me into gaming in the first place. Most people groan and cringe whenever this game is mentioned, while I just look back on good childhood memories of the first game that I really​ got into.

Kounelli

Awards
I used to play a lot of those hunting simulator games, Deer Hunter, Trophy Hunter, Carnivores 1&2 etc. There's still something strange about them but omg were they terrible xD

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
The 3D sonic game up until sonic colors.

I used to be so into Sonic as a little kid, I literally had drawings of Tikal the Hedgehog all over my room that I made myself, even ones of her and Knuckles getting married xD I didn't realize until years later that Sonic Heroes sucked so, so bad, along with the other 3D sonic I owned, Sonic Unleashed. (Sonic Advance 3 or whatever is still solid though)

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase for the PlayStation 1. After watching Caddicarus review for the game, I just came to realise how much of a clunky carbon copy it is from Crash Bandicoot. Licensed games are usually terrible to begin with so I have only myself to blame for liking it as a kid.

God, I love Caddy. I just haven't made it a habit of watching his stuff recently.
I do remember the review though (along with the movie one). I really did enjoy it as a kid, but I can see all the faults.

Here's a controversial one for you all. Spyro the Dragon. The original. I'll start by saying it's not a bad game - but the nostalgia I had for it made me a bit blinded. When you go back to it, after all these years, it just feels pretty.... dull? At least compared to the other games. I can go back and enjoy 2 and 3, but the original feels like a chore.

Pandymint

Awards
God, I love Caddy. I just haven't made it a habit of watching his stuff recently.
I do remember the review though (along with the movie one). I really did enjoy it as a kid, but I can see all the faults.

Here's a controversial one for you all. Spyro the Dragon. The original. I'll start by saying it's not a bad game - but the nostalgia I had for it made me a bit blinded. When you go back to it, after all these years, it just feels pretty.... dull? At least compared to the other games. I can go back and enjoy 2 and 3, but the original feels like a chore.

Yoooooo fans of Caddicarus! Nice.

As far as Spyro, man. The fucking turban dudes with the eggs and their incessant laughing at you for not catching them. They filled me with rage as a kid. Can't speak for how it feels, since I have not touched that game in over ten years now.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Gen 1 Pokemon games. I can't play them for than 5 minutes before getting bored and frustrated with the slow, unbalanced system. Emulator is the only way I can tolerate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back