• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Liking rap and hip-hop

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Noticed music genres such as rap and hip-hop get widespread flak. I can understand why many hate the raunchy tone of said genres, but I think too many people ignore the good songs coming out of it.

I cannot force somebody to like and enjoy it, but people should take a deeper meaning into it, in my personal opinion.

Last edited:

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I love some rap and hip-hop. It has a very raw and aggressive sound, so I figure people need to rap about something poignant to match the music, instead of rapping about how great they are.

Serious question: If I'm listening to some classic raps in the car AND singing along, and a certain offensive racial derogatory term is coming up in the lyrics, do I say it?

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I love some rap and hip-hop. It has a very raw and aggressive sound, so I figure people need to rap about something poignant to match the music, instead of rapping about how great they are.
Agreed. It can be a hit or miss genre, but I believe it has charm to it.

Serious question: If I'm listening to some classic raps in the car AND singing along, and a certain offensive racial derogatory term is coming up in the lyrics, do I say it?
If you're surrounded by other people who don't appreciate it.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

you skip the word or you have become the problem, i've done my research.

also people treat rap like its so divisive lol, its as broad and varied as every other genre but because it is predominantly black it has a stigma, that's why macklemore won the best rap album grammy over kendrick lamar. FUCKING K DOT

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
The only rap song i like is 2 phones. It's also the only one I'll ever need.

Laeril

Awards
*quietly recites the following rap from memory*

[video=youtube;XAAp_luluo0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAAp_luluo0[/video]

Yeah, all the rap I listen to is EPIC RAP BATTLES OF HISTORY!

Rix

:)
Awards
Oh, I used to be obsessed with Eminem and Tupac in my early teens and just rap/hip hop in general. I even wanted to be a rapper, and I even performed one rap I wrote in a talent contest xD

I moved on from that obsession/phase a couple of years later, but I can still listen to it every now and then :) Not really a fan of most of the modern rap and hip hop, but not everything is bad I guess.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
Whats great about NF, is that this young rookie is actually a Christian rapper and uses overtones within his music to convey that quite explicitly. He's been compared to Eminem mainly because well for starters, he's white, he breaks the 4th wall in his lyricism, and maybe I guess looks like a younger him?

Rap's just been a staple for me for years. Theres been more than just underground, even Korean Rappers are exploding, now of all times especially (thank member Riku's Dawn for that). Theres this horror core genre rapper named Necro, the baby brother of ill Bill and his writing style was heavily influenced by death metal.

Hell I don't know, most people's idea of rap is that it incites violent acts. Thats like saying just because you can kill people and animals in GTA it's avidly promoting homocide and animal abuse. No one makes "personal responsibility" or "parenting" an argument anymore it's actually pathetic. Same argument stand for cinematography, but I notice no matter what the tone of the music that gets put, just seems soft-core to some groups that are used to being "a click away" from violence with how quickly the evolution of technology puts us between gore by way of the internet. I still think rap is an excellent platform to structure a lot of how people want to express themselves.

Most of my favorite rappers (just found that NF kid a few months ago) are either some oldies, or some non-mainstream group of guys that are so talented it's a mystery as to why they aren't more popular.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Honestly, ever since Lin-Manuel Miranda entered the scene, Hip-Hop is starting to be more widely appreciated for people who are usually dismissive of Hip-Hop. Even so, people like Kendrick Lamar prove that the genre is still alive and well, it's just diversified into so many different sub-genres.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Honestly, ever since Lin-Manuel Miranda entered the scene, Hip-Hop is starting to be more widely appreciated for people who are usually dismissive of Hip-Hop. Even so, people like Kendrick Lamar prove that the genre is still alive and well, it's just diversified into so many different sub-genres.

Lin-Manuel is a national treasure.

Pandymint

Awards
Did someone mention hip hop/rap?

Hold up, I got some profoundness for you kids.

[video=youtube;fsW1z9QThsA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsW1z9QThsA[/video]

Couldn't tell you how many times I've listened to this. Probably enough to rap it myself.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Like all art forms, at its worst (but sometimes most joyous) rap is pure hedonism. Reveling in both sacred and profane. At its best it's insurrection wrapped in wordplay and allusion.

[video=youtube;m5vw4ajnWGA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5vw4ajnWGA[/video]

A

I shoot first there is no shooting back
Awards
As a DJ and music producer, I can firmly tell you the hate comes from lack of understanding of the history of the genre. If you bent down and studied the events that lead to the creation of rap you would understand how it became the way it is and why people like it (or hate depending on your pov) but most of the hate stems from pure ignorance and bigotry

Awards
ONLY on this forum will you click on a thread about rap music & the first 3 names you see are watsky, mos def & lin manuel miranda ������������������

never change KHI!

A

Awards
ONLY on this forum will you click on a thread about rap music & the first 3 names you see are watsky, mos def & lin manuel miranda ������������������

never change KHI!
to be fair mos def has a certified classic, the other 2
3w2MWDX.png

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
to be fair mos def has a certified classic, the other 2
3w2MWDX.png

My Dean of Language arts actually read Mathematics Lyrics at a poetry reading all the ENG courses had to go to. It was amazing, the dreads were a bonus.

I stand by most of the rappers I listen to under babygrandrecords label tho.

Harmonie

Crazy Woodwind Lady
Awards
I used to be a closed-minded hater. Now I think I'm just off to the side. I have never gotten into the genre, but at the same time it has never been forced onto me (much unlike country, 80s music, and modern pop which are everywhere and I dislike strongly), so I have became neutral to it.

My dad is one of those people who claims it is not music. I say you don't get to define something as not music because you don't like it. I see that rap has talent. It's not for me, but I won't hate. I used to, but I'm done with that. (I concentrate all of my hate on other genres, now. I'm no better, oh well.)

A

Awards
babygrandrecords label tho.
This label sounds so New York that I had to check who was on the roster and lo and behold it's a bunch New York cats, haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back