• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Be Careful

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
I am pretty much trying my best to stay away from buying a PS3 from online, because I am scared that I might be scammed. I am probably best buying from a store, even though it's more pricier, but at least I can return it, right? This isn't just about online shopping vs shopping at a store, but probably about the cons associated with it. I guess, you could say it can also be a 'Let's Not Meet' considering of all the horror stories that I've heard from Craigslist and OfferUp.

I personally never had a bad experiences with those two, mainly shady dealings. Most times, the people that I am making the deal with never shows. The shadier ones pretty much involved someone that wanted to pay five cents per used battery from Craigslist. I asked him when he would show up, but he never responded. I was with someone, but I should have probably told her why we were there in the parking lot of the local store.

I've heard that it's best to have someone with you and to meet in a public place, because the chances of danger decreases, right? Anyways, the person that I talked to about the five cents per used battery never showed and I did ask him why he needed the batteries. I believe in his Craigslist ad that he said he needed the batteries for an art project.

The guy never said what car he would be in, which would have helped.

The other thing that I am wary about on Craigslist is phone numbers, on the website, you can post your phone number on your ad. I think it's put on private or for more detail. I did try contacting the people by phone, but I got this on a few times.

Seller: What are you talking about? What ad? How did you get this number?

It usually was a person that wasn't even aware that it's number was being used and usually this person would be barraged with numerous calls.

I did one time use Craigslist, but my ad was immediately removed due to being "spam." I don't want to use Craigslist for the reasons that I listed and I don't want to be heckled with calls about a product that I am not even selling. I don't want people also knowing where I live or my phone number. I try my best to avoid meeting a seller or by myself, because I have heard of people being robbed, murdered, kidnapped or harmed in some other way.

So, has anyone ever had any suspicious encounters and which do you think is best online shopping vs regular shopping?

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I haven't had any really bad experiences, but I mostly use PayPal so when something goes wrong I can get my money back quite easily.
I prefer online shopping when I have the chance to get a discount. Other than that, I prefer getting the product in a shop so I automatically see it's not defect.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Well, I can say since I DO NOT. Drive. That I use online shopping a lot.

I've never had any serious problems other than one time, I bought a copy of Big Hero 6 from a online seller on Amazon. (I think DarkGreyHeroine knows where this is going). She accidentally sent it 3-4 states AWAY FROM ME, I filed a complaint and I got it a week after that.

Oh and there was one more with a canceled ebay order, but Ebay decided in my favor so I'm not mad at all. Stupid chinese seller.

I'd say with online shopping the rules are know your retailer, and also if something goes wrong, make sure you can file a complaint. Also if you are game buying on Ebay, make sure you know the difference between fake and real so you don't get a counterfeit game. My brother had a problem with getting fake copies of a Pokemon game on ebay; he finally got a real copy and I think got most of his money back with the fakes. He used one of the fakes for soldering practice and was so upset with one of them he had Mom run over it with the car. ^_^

Oh and as for a PS3, I'd suggest trying Best Buy Outlet, formerly known as Cowboom. Since Best Buy runs it, you shouldn't have a problem; My PS3 slim came from Cowboom. ^^

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Well, I can say since I DO NOT. Drive. That I use online shopping a lot.

I've never had any serious problems other than one time, I bought a copy of Big Hero 6 from a online seller on Amazon. (I think DarkGreyHeroine knows where this is going). She accidentally sent it 3-4 states AWAY FROM ME, I filed a complaint and I got it a week after that.

Oh and there was one more with a canceled ebay order, but Ebay decided in my favor so I'm not mad at all. Stupid chinese seller.

I'd say with online shopping the rules are know your retailer, and also if something goes wrong, make sure you can file a complaint. Also if you are game buying on Ebay, make sure you know the difference between fake and real so you don't get a counterfeit game. My brother had a problem with getting fake copies of a Pokemon game on ebay; he finally got a real copy and I think got most of his money back with the fakes. He used one of the fakes for soldering practice and was so upset with one of them he had Mom run over it with the car. ^_^

Oh and as for a PS3, I'd suggest trying Best Buy Outlet, formerly known as Cowboom. Since Best Buy runs it, you shouldn't have a problem; My PS3 slim came from Cowboom. ^^

That might work. I did have someone respond to me on OfferUp for a PS3. He was selling it for twenty dollars, but it doesn't come with anything other than the power cord and he's located in a nearby town. I really don't feel like going all that way for a broken PS3, so I might check out Cowboom. I do have a used video game store near me, so I'll probably check with them then Cowboom. I have had problems with eBay items before. I thought I could fix my 3DSXL, but I had to ask the guy at the shop that was repairing it to recycle it since I damaged it beyond capacity.

I did have to file a complaint once on Amazon, because of a desk. I sent the seller the payment, but he never delivered on his end. So, I won the complaint and I prefer eBay over Amazon for that reason.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I admit, I do like Amazon. They do have good customer service to be honest (you just have to find their phone number.) so if something DOES go wrong I can always get it resolved with a call and a "Rarrragh!". Ebay tho DOES have a better automated customer service thing. There's a reason I earn Amazon gift cards from sites like Swagbucks so I can get the games I want.

I've never gotten a counterfeit game off Amazon yet too, tho I haven't tried GBA games; I'm wary of those anywhere online unless I can SEE the GAME and pick it up and examine it, which means I look at those at local game shops instead. Especially after what happened with my brother. If you are into retro gaming like I am, I suggest you do the same. Amazon did carry some pirated anime dvds a while back, so beware there too. Those are cockroaches, easy to swat but it becomes a game of Wack-A-Mole really fast.

Oh and remember, Cowboom evolved into the Best Buy Outlet, so you won't find it if you search for "cowboom" anymore. Search for "Best Buy Outlet" instead.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
I admit, I do like Amazon. They do have good customer service to be honest (you just have to find their phone number.) so if something DOES go wrong I can always get it resolved with a call and a "Rarrragh!". Ebay tho DOES have a better automated customer service thing. There's a reason I earn Amazon gift cards from sites like Swagbucks so I can get the games I want.

I've never gotten a counterfeit game off Amazon yet too, tho I haven't tried GBA games; I'm wary of those anywhere online unless I can SEE the GAME and pick it up and examine it, which means I look at those at local game shops instead. Especially after what happened with my brother. If you are into retro gaming like I am, I suggest you do the same. Amazon did carry some pirated anime dvds a while back, so beware there too. Those are cockroaches, easy to swat but it becomes a game of Wack-A-Mole really fast.

Oh and remember, Cowboom evolved into the Best Buy Outlet, so you won't find it if you search for "cowboom" anymore. Search for "Best Buy Outlet" instead.

I found two PS3s, but they are far from ideal, one is $160 or $180 dollars.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Why not try Amazon? They're pretty reliable about what they're selling and you can get your money back. Especially if you're looking to buy a PS3. They're also fast about replying whenever there's a complaint too.

Craigslist is super shady. Never ever use a credit card on there, cause you'll get robbed of your money. It wasn't done to me personally, but it caused a huge problem for someone else I knew after they bought something from somebody else. They were lucky to get their money back. Anyways, if you must use craigslist for whatever reason, then use a gift card with the amount of money you put on it, so they're not getting into your bank and stealing your money without you knowing. :c And I've never heard of OfferUp.

Online shopping is alright as long as you know what sites are legit versus not. I prefer online shopping, cause it's convenient, but it's nice to go to the store, when stuff in stores are exclusive compared to online. :3

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
They're a bit pricy at the Best Buy Outlet b/c well, they are returned merch most likely and they've been gone over to be sure they aren't broken. Also the only thing wrong with said items are they are prolly scratched up a little bit, nothing you have to worry about. I'd recommend going for the 200 gb one at least though, the one with the least space tends to be a little crappy.

And Cinder: This is offerup. Looks to be something like craigslist, pretty much. Which means..never use a credit card, always offer cash. That way you can be sure you aren't cheated because you aren't payin' until you meet them and see the item. That's been my brother's policy with Craigslist as a seller, for good reason; Sellers have problems too, like people that steal items. (Also known as; bad check + take it and don't make it good) Hence why a lot of sellers will say, "CASH ONLY!"

Last edited:

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
They're a bit pricy at the Best Buy Outlet b/c well, they are returned merch most likely and they've been gone over to be sure they aren't broken. Also the only thing wrong with said items are they are prolly scratched up a little bit, nothing you have to worry about. I'd recommend going for the 200 gb one at least though, the one with the least space tends to be a little crappy.

And Cinder: This is offerup. Looks to be something like craigslist, pretty much. Which means..never use a credit card, always offer cash. That way you can be sure you aren't cheated because you aren't payin' until you meet them and see the item. That's been my brother's policy with Craigslist as a seller, for good reason; Sellers have problems too, like people that steal items. (Also known as; bad check + take it and don't make it good) Hence why a lot of sellers will say, "CASH ONLY!"

I think I found one at Gamestop. It looks like it is 250 gb and it's $140 dollars.

xiaojen7

I have not had any suspicious encounters because I don't use Craigslist but for me, it's a tie between online shopping and public shopping. The benefits of online shopping are not having to go anywhere, not having to deal with people, and the litte waiting game I play beside the door. The benefits of public shopping are the exercise I'm getting, window shopping, and actually knowing if a product works or fits.

Inner-Demon

The Old Master
Website
www.youtube.com
I do not use Craig's List, and I often suggest against it. A shady, suspicious online transaction is not worth it. Not even for the value of the item versus an individual's safety. I do a lot of shopping in store, because I have absolutely no patience, but I do shop from Amazon with Prime, and the service has always been fast and reliable. But, again, I only purchase when it is sold directly by Amazon.

Always be safe, be careful and most of all, always refer to the seller's recent history and average customer rating, if service is regularly, or recently poor, then avoid them.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
I do not use Craig's List, and I often suggest against it. A shady, suspicious online transaction is not worth it. Not even for the value of the item versus an individual's safety. I do a lot of shopping in store, because I have absolutely no patience, but I do shop from Amazon with Prime, and the service has always been fast and reliable. But, again, I only purchase when it is sold directly by Amazon.

Always be safe, be careful and most of all, always refer to the seller's recent history and average customer rating, if service is regularly, or recently poor, then avoid them.

Good advice, I should have done more research with that guy that sold me a desk. He never got back to me, thankfully I filed a complaint and Amazon was pretty good. I do try to avoid Craigslist. I only had one person show up and purchase something from me from OfferUp. It was a good experience and she wasn't one of those shady types.

Inner-Demon

The Old Master
Website
www.youtube.com
Good advice, I should have done more research with that guy that sold me a desk. He never got back to me, thankfully I filed a complaint and Amazon was pretty good. I do try to avoid Craigslist. I only had one person show up and purchase something from me from OfferUp. It was a good experience and she wasn't one of those shady types.

That's good. You never know what you're going to get, and that's coming from someone who's incredibly sociable. Just too many horror stories. While I've not had a situation, it is nice to know Amazon responded. Jeez, that annoys me when sellers have no responsibility, or if they're really just attempting to scam you. What jerks.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
That's good. You never know what you're going to get, and that's coming from someone who's incredibly sociable. Just too many horror stories. While I've not had a situation, it is nice to know Amazon responded. Jeez, that annoys me when sellers have no responsibility, or if they're really just attempting to scam you. What jerks.

Yeah, I also saw an ad on Craigslist a while ago. The person wanted five cents per dead battery and I gathered up a whole lot of them. We agreed to meet at Hastings and I was with my caregiver at the time. I didn't tell her about the person, in short, the person never showed.

I also had this other time where I was with a new caregiver, she was a friend of the woman that ran the caregiver agency. I was getting an upgrade for a phone and we walked there. She said that she had met someone that drove people around in a car for five dollars. I was not very eager to get into a car with some random from Craigslist, which was where this guy had posted his "taxi" service.

Her car was broken and so since she was in charge, we went inside the car and each paid five dollars. She had to stop at Walmart for something and I was stuck in the car with the guy. I was quite scared during the time, because I didn't know the guy. I thought he would probably drive off me and sell me into human trafficking.

I did suggest to my caregiver for us to the bus, but she didn't want to disappoint since she agreed to meet up with him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back