• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

History is like the ocean

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
History is like the ocean. It`s massive, deep and if you dive deep enough you can witness true darkness and monsters of the depth. Human violence, war, torture and massacres. Surely dictators were not human, offering empty promises of a better day but in reality having desire for war. They were more like anglerfish, giving promises of light in the darkness, before showing their real, ugly face while devouring their victims.

There is so much information that if you are not vigilant it might overwhelm you, and you end up drowning. When you are studying you have to remember many things. If you look at it from too far away, you might not end up seeing the interesting things at the bottom. They could give your story personality. If you dive too deep you only see pieces of a puzzle, not able to see the linking points, the whole picture.

Trying to study the whole ocean is madness and arrogant. A small piece of it will suffice.

The movement of waves, litter and other things will always distort the image you see. What is in the bottom, or even your own reflection. You are never able to find the objective truth, since you never can get rid of your own ideals and values. They will always be there to distort. But you can always try shining a ray of light down, maybe it will illuminate and you shall discover something new.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
This is certainly a unique way of looking at history. And the ocean analogy fits it quite well. Another way of looking at it is that the ocean continues to change just like history does. Nothing ever truly stays the same, because even the ocean and its creatures can change, evolving into new things or dying away. Perhaps repeating its own history much like the cycle of life and all things around it.

In the meantime, you've opened up my eyes to a new way of looking at the ocean. I also happen to like angler fish! And this makes me think a great deal about things. I really liked this piece you wrote, hemmoheikkinen. C: Maybe one day I'll discover something new about myself as I peer into the ocean. Although, I'm thousands of miles away from one. Perhaps a lake will do?

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
This is certainly a unique way of looking at history. And the ocean analogy fits it quite well. Another way of looking at it is that the ocean continues to change just like history does. Nothing ever truly stays the same, because even the ocean and its creatures can change, evolving into new things or dying away. Perhaps repeating its own history much like the cycle of life and all things around it.

In the meantime, you've opened up my eyes to a new way of looking at the ocean. I also happen to like angler fish! And this makes me think a great deal about things. I really liked this piece you wrote, hemmoheikkinen. C: Maybe one day I'll discover something new about myself as I peer into the ocean. Although, I'm thousands of miles away from one. Perhaps a lake will do?

Yeah, repeating things is something that makes history students and professors pessimistic. We say that we can learn from our past mistakes, but then it at times this does not seem to be the case. Never again we said after the second world war, but then at the same century we witnessed massacres. It`s a bit depressing to look at really.

Yup, a lake will do. You can always look at local history( a lake), it does not always have to be the whole world´s history(ocean).

Thank you for taking your time and commenting this, Cinder!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back