• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Miss Anything From KH1?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Is this even relevant anymore? KH2 is so old, I think it would be better to talk about stuff we miss whenever we play newer games?

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
I probably miss that it had less stupid mini-games, more intricate level design (Monstro was trash though - with reason, but still trash) and "press Δ to command D/G to attack".

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
The puzzles definitely! KH1 just overall had more interaction with the world, like in the 100 Acre Wood you could open Pooh's house's window, go through his shelf and steal his elixir. KH1 was full on little easter eggs here and there and I love stuff like that.

press Δ to command D/G to attack.

Also this.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Larger worlds. The world rooms (whatever?) in KH2 felt small for some reason, and other games after that, too. I believe KH3 solves that as seen in the early trailer.

There's A LOT more, too.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Trinitiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiies. Bring em back, SE!
Also the Dodge Roll although that didn't apply to KH 2 FM anymore.

Akasha

the city near the mountain with the faces on it
I'm going to agree with everyone here in that I seriously miss the puzzles and easter eggs that KH1 had, but there's another one I really miss: mushroom heartless. As fun as it is to try and spin a Mushroom XIII until it vomits prizes on you, I prefer having a horde of white mushrooms to cast spells on.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
The lack of tech points in every game post-1 hurts my soul.

Also, the environments feeling like their actual movies instead of rooms with skin packs.

The camera being more zoomed in on Sora in battles, and likewise him feeling small and the world feeling big.

Sora not being an over-powered demi god who can cross Traverse Town's second district in like two seconds flat, and was actually able to stop and smell the roses in 1.

Interacting with the environment, such as being able to climb vines and swim.

Animations for opening doors.

HUB world.

Sora's characterization, with him actually having real emotions and an actual arc.

SoKai.

Kairi (and the Princesses of Heart) being important in general. And how she was treated in this game is far superior to how she has been in any game since.

Sora and Riku fighting about stuff. I feel like they're almost too perfect with each other now.

The simple and clean plot. And what I mean by that is this was before Nomura tried to always have a plot twist that surprises even himself, and so he let the story of 1 come naturally (and it was better that way). Every game since then seems to have sacrificed character and good writing devices for the sake of being "shocking".

And hitting something at the same time as it hits you accomplishing the same thing as guarding, because I hate guarding and would do this instead of that in 1.

A lot of the elements they introduced in KH1, never to be brought up again: like summon gems. I feel like having those who were summon gems interact with the Nobodies could've been interesting.

King Triton's knowing about Keyblades, because that goes nowhere post-1 and I wish it had. But it's always nice seeing that scene in the original game.

SDG's growing bond.

The writers actually treating Sora with respect, and seeing him more than just an irredeemable idiot (who just yells out heart, light, dark, heart, bark) who needs to be saved by Riku all the time, as they do now. As someone on Blackdrazon's KH2 retrospective said, I feel like the writers forgot that SORA was the smart one in KH1 and made the right decisions consistently (despite how hard it was), whereas RIKU made stupid mistake after stupid mistake and needed to be rescued for it.

Keyblade's chosen's actually feeling special.

The game actually feeling really special and unique (and having that Disney charm) as opposed to the shounen anime clichés that it is now.

The Final Fantasy characters (Leon, Yuffie, Aerith, and Cid) actually being pretty central to the plot.

The game actually encouraging you to use different things in your arsenal, like using gravity to get chests.

Speaking of which: the version of aero from KH1, and gravity.

Villains like Ansem. They did just enough with him to make him really threatening and engaging (like, millions were dead because of him making the worlds fall, and I don't think any game since then has matched that threat), but they also didn't overdo it with him, and that actually added to his character.

Being able to play on Destiny Islands and Traverse Town.

The list goes on and on.

Also, I just realized that I pretty much stole everything that Frustrated Jacob said in his one video and put it here. Oops.

Edit: Riku and Kairi actually having a seen friendship with each other.

Last edited:

ReverofEnola

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I was just about to mention the Frustrated Jacob when I saw your post too. Anyway most of the elements you listed I do agree with. However what are you thoughts on FJ's return of the Hub World? But this time in the form of a Final Fantasy Hub World.

Side Note: Did you know the original Aero IS in ReCoM? You have to use the Xaldin card. It's not as great & doesn't look like the original but it still somewhat functions the same.

ok sunny

Awards
I miss the old-school charm of the game. The small details and such really brought that nostalgic feel on for me. What I mean by this is, is stuff like character outfits (CLOUD), certain music tracks, areas in each world, special interactions, etc.

Trinities are also quite fun, I'd like to have those back

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I miss the Diseny villain council. Organization XIII is far more generic in comparison to the Disney villain council...

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Puzzles, actual worlds, overall atmosphere that made me feel I was in a world doing stuff and not in a hallway's colored background.
If we're talking about KH II specifically, also some more lore-related sidequest stuff.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Another thing I miss is alternative cutscenes. It was always interesting to discover what would happen if you visited another world before Wonderland and seeing Snow White getting kidnapped over Alice in the scene with the villains. Or the alternative Monstro scenes.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I miss the Diseny villain council. Organization XIII is far more generic in comparison to the Disney villain council...
I sooooooooooooooooooo agree with this. At least they have the same personalities from their movies than being bland in general.

Another thing I miss is alternative cutscenes. It was always interesting to discover what would happen if you visited another world before Wonderland and seeing Snow White getting kidnapped over Alice in the scene with the villains. Or the alternative Monstro scenes.
I think that has to do with some of the worlds being related to the plot.

Last edited:

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards

Yes. Those, and the hidden easter eggs in boss battles, helped making every run your own adventure.
KH1 was a game that created a world and let you explore it while trying your own style.
KH2 grabs your head and tilts it left and right, screaming at you to look at all the good (obligatory) things it made.

And I'm not saying that either is right or wrong, they're just different.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I think that has to do with some of the worlds being related to the plot.

The ones in KH1 had to do with the plot too, but they took the time to make those alternative scenes anyways. Alternative scenes don't have to infringe on the canon events of a game. They merely exist to provide some fun rewards to players approaching the games in their own unique way. It also helps to foster creative storytelling by providing alternative scenes because it gets the player thinning in a different way.

For example, the Riku scenes in Monstro. If you do Monstro after Hollow Bastion, it lets us bear witness to a pretty interesting lead up to the End of the World. Ansem taunts Sora in Riku's body, which makes the moment when SDG finally see Riku on the beach of the destroyed Destiny Islands more impactful because he's been messing with Sora the whole time after Radiant Garden.

Although those aren't the canon events, it is interesting to think about and it creates a different impression of the story and characters while not straying too far from canon.

Considering how KH2's worlds were so boring and disconnected from the overall plot of the game, they could have easily sprinkled in these kinds of moments to make the game more engaging to the audience.

Yes. Those, and the hidden easter eggs in boss battles, helped making every run your own adventure.
KH1 was a game that created a world and let you explore it while trying your own style.
KH2 grabs your head and tilts it left and right, screaming at you to look at all the good (obligatory) things it made.

And I'm not saying that either is right or wrong, they're just different.

Exactly. KH2 felt a bit hand-holdy in that way. You could never stray off a path or stumble upon things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back