• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Dissidia: Final Fantasy Opera Omnia

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
h1_logo.png

[video=youtube;NYzPnCiJDuE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYzPnCiJDuE[/video]

Final Fantasy Network » News » Dissidia: Final Fantasy Opera Omnia announced for iOS/Android

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Re: Dissidia: Final Fantasy Opera Omnia - 2016, turn-based for smartphones

ThereisKujainthisIneeditsomuchrightnowgivemeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
The style is adorable.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Cloud ended up being the best drawn of them all. I AM NOT SURPRISED. Nomura, draw more Seifer!

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards

Although I've played a few I haven't really gotten into any of the most recent FF mobile games. This one looks awesome though, I'll definitely have to give this a shot. It's an interesting way to use Dissidia.

Recon

Art of War
Awards

i'll just it's not for me without saying anything else

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

i'll just it's not for me without saying anything else

I mean, nobody is going to hate you for saying why you don't like it. It'd be pretty welcome.

Personally I dislike the graphics and the clunky UI but I think the idea itself and Nomura's proto-chibi artwork are well suited for a small-scale project like this.

TheKeybasHKey

Awards

I need this game on my phone now and all seriousness the animation is weird.

Recon

Art of War
Awards

I mean, nobody is going to hate you for saying why you don't like it. It'd be pretty welcome.

Personally I dislike the graphics and the clunky UI but I think the idea itself and Nomura's proto-chibi artwork are well suited for a small-scale project like this.

Fair enough.

I enjoy the fact that the title Dissidia is still being used. Some, including me, assumed that we wouldn't see a game after Duodecium and Doudecium might have been the last Dissidia game, but I believe Square Enix seems promise in the title. The first game sold remarkably well for a fighting game with RPG elements using the Final Fantasy name. For comparison, Dissidia Final Fantasy sold better than Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII during its first week. [489,100 compared to 487,000 - Media Create]

After Duodecium, it was a little shocking to hear about an announcement for a new Dissidia game. When it was showcased, it was clear that the series would continue to strive to be a fighting game with RPG elements. The game proved that it would cater to fans in a new way. Despite a change in platform, Square Enix delivers a similar experience using arcade machines and I personally think most fans enjoyed that aspect. It's impossible to gauge reception in territories where the arcade version of Dissidia Final Fantasy was not released, but judging by the responses from a dedicated Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy website, I noted most responses about the game were positive in terms of the series continuing to be a fighting game.

But now, we have a game using the Dissidia name and breaking away from tradition. Dissidia Final Fantasy: Opera Omina is the next title to continue the series, in my opinion, in a less desirable way. Opera Omina does not focus on being a fighting game, but rather a turn-based game with RPG elements. "Yes, it's a spin-off of a spin-off" - TouchArcade. A gripe about this next title could be formed because the game is not being recognized as a fighting game. And I personally don't think the platform justifies this change. Judging by the amount of fighting games on iOS/Andriod, 2D and 3D fighting games have been proven possible to develop. Those examples really make you question why Square Enix decided to make it a turn-based game as opposed to a fighting game. [Generically speaking, one could assume the development behind a turn-based game might be considered "easier" than the development of a fighting game. Furthermore, Square Enix has a huge history behind turn-based games involving Final Fantasy games (and Dragon Quest games historically speaking), which could point to the company's decision to change the genre.] Additionally, just to comment on, the art style is for this title was expected. Not all iOS/Andriod devices have the same processing speed to render beautiful 3D poloygons like we've seen in previous Dissidia games. Therefore, it's safe to assume that Chibi style would be best suitable by knowing those differences in processing speeds. [Chibi style has also been exceptionally popular with Square Enix fans. The company has plenty of examples that shows how likable the stlye is; Theatrhythm, The World of Final Fantasy, merchandise etc]

So all in all, the current state of Dissidia is expanding, which is great in my books, but not in the way I was hoping. I would love to see Dissidia games remain only in the fighting genre. That's the only way, as someone who lives in the Western Hemipshere, I would want to see a Dissidia game. That being said, I wouldn't mind trying out the game just to see if it's something I would enjoy even without the game being a fighting game. After all, it's Final Fantasy.

list mode
Pros:
Dissidia continuing as a series
New characters
New RPG elements

Cons:
Fighting game to turn-based game
Expressionless faces/lack of mouth movement
"Clunky" polygons

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Yeah, I have to agree with pretty much everything you said.

The only thing I can say is that I think Square Enix is reacting to the complaints about there being a lack of turn-based games so they are essentially using what is a tribute to the whole series to revisit that kind of combat.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards

Yeah I am happy it seems to have a story with all these characters again, and even better is they are adding a bunch of new characters to the series. But I agree the graphics are not good lol. I freaked out about Steiner and Sazh though haha. And Vivi of course :p

Oh, is that masked person in another game? I don't think I know who that is ha.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards

I'm just laughing that 10 years later, Takehito Koyasu is still voicing Seifer.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards

Not that I know of. It's just even 11 years since he last voiced him. Ikue Ohtani as vivi too.

I am unfamiliar, are they both the voice actors from KH2? I guess we already know Vivi's English voice is different in World of FF so I expect it will be that voice for this localized game as well.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

KH series
D:FF
Theatrhythm
All The Bravest
Record Keeper
Brave Exvius
World of FF
Airborne Brigade

Exactly how many all-star FF crossovers does Square need? I'm still trying to figure why BE exists & they go & dump yet another F2P mobile title that uses "create a party of your favorite FF characters!" as the selling point. Pace yourselves, S-E!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

KH series
D:FF
Theatrhythm
All The Bravest
Record Keeper
Brave Exvius
World of FF
Airborne Brigade

Exactly how many all-star FF crossovers does Square need? I'm still trying to figure why BE exists & they go & dump yet another F2P mobile title that uses "create a party of your favorite FF characters!" as the selling point. Pace yourselves, S-E!

All the Bravest can be cut from that list since its just transaction trash...

Airborne Brigade is old in mobile years.

Brave Exvius has its own story with its own characters and only uses the FF characters to pad the gameplay.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards

I am unfamiliar, are they both the voice actors from KH2? I guess we already know Vivi's English voice is different in World of FF so I expect it will be that voice for this localized game as well.

Yes they both voiced them in kh2

Back