• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Is Kairi a "mary-sue"?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
IIRC, the term "Mary-Sue" originated from a Star Trek fanfiction (that was made official, I think), where the author put a self-insert character into the story, and made her absolutely perfect. She couldn't do anything wrong, she was insanely beautiful, and everyone loved her.

She also made the characters around her lesser than what they were, because people like Captain Kirk--who is a genius and should be able to handle most things thrown his way--suddenly couldn't figure things out, but this girl from nowhere had all the answers.

So in that vain, where a Mary-Sue is someone utterly perfect and makes the other characters lesser versions of themselves, I certainly don't think Kairi's that.

But let's look at this in order, shall we?

Is Kairi good looking? Yes, but everyone in this series is.

Does Kairi make the other characters lesser versions of themselves? No. Because she sadly has very little impact on this story as a whole.

Is Kairi perfect? I'd say that she's not. She's reckless, in running into Corridors of Darkness and jumping off of balconies without really seeming to think any of it through. She also has been known to say things that could be misconstrued as hurtful before, even if that isn't her intent.

Does everyone like Kairi? I don't think so. It's pretty clear that Naminé was jealous of her in CoM. And the villains, such as Saïx who kidnapped her (or Xehanort, who spent her out into space as a five-year-old and would also probably see her as an "abomination" that just proves the "tyranny of light" idea) probably don't see her in a favorable light.

Some other traits that seem to go along with a Mary-Sue now is having a unique name, but Kairi doesn't fit that bill, either. All the KH characters have special names, with different meanings, so unless you're going to knock them all for that Kairi certainly isn't a Mary-Sue for that reason.

An odd hair color can also contribute to a Mary-Sue, and Kairi's hair is a somewhat different color, yes... but no worse than pink, blue, silver, or anything else we've seen in this saga, imo. Her hairstyle is actually one of the most normal ones, tbh.

Honestly, if I were to say anyone was a Mary-Sue in this series... it would be Sora (and it hurts me to say this, because he's still my favorite character of all time), but... Nothing ever really seems to faze him (outside of KHI, CoM, and DDD); he's always optimistic and knows how to put a smile on his face.

Even in DDD, when learning that he's not special like his friends are at all and that the Keyblade only chose him for the people he's connected to... This still didn't bother Sora.

He also always seems to know the right thing to say, and has made other characters less versions of themselves (i.e. coming up with the "trapping Jafar in the lamp" idea that was supposed to be Aladdin's, etc.).

And he's also the magical character destined to save everyone, and who's the only one in the multiverse who has still chosen to have a childish heart and see the good and possibility in everyone, blah blah blah.

Honestly, I'm REALLY hoping that KHIII does away with a lot of these things when it comes to Sora, and makes him seem real again, but fortunately I think that it will:)

I also think Aqua might be a little bit Mary-Sue like (though this is more for lack of development, and 0.2 and/or III could easily fix this). She's the mother of the group, who was right about everything, saved everyone... is the only Master in the group, who doesn't really grow throughout the course of the story (or change her world view much at all), and doesn't really seem to have many faults at all (if any)... Yeah...

Honestly, some of these claims I could argue with Aqua (as I do think we see development in her when she chooses to go where the comatose Ven instructs her to, after having been the one to tell him what to do the whole game and stuff like that), but the fact that these things are so slight and easily missed is the main problem with Aqua.

Imo, Terra and Ven developed much more than she did... And yet I still prefer Aqua over them and list her as my fourth favorite character in the series, probably. LOL.

Muke

whatever
Awards
tumblr_mb9xmldT4U1rqdofy.gif

Stop ?

Muke

whatever
Awards
IIRC, the term "Mary-Sue" originated from a Star Trek fanfiction (that was made official, I think), where the author put a self-insert character into the story, and made her absolutely perfect. She couldn't do anything wrong, she was insanely beautiful, and everyone loved her.

She also made the characters around her lesser than what they were, because people like Captain Kirk--who is a genius and should be able to handle most things thrown his way--suddenly couldn't figure things out, but this girl from nowhere had all the answers.

So in that vain, where a Mary-Sue is someone utterly perfect and makes the other characters lesser versions of themselves, I certainly don't think Kairi's that.

Does Kairi make the other characters lesser versions of themselves? No. Because she sadly has very little impact on this story as a whole.

Is Kairi perfect? I'd say that she's not. She's reckless, in running into Corridors of Darkness and jumping off of balconies without really seeming to think any of it through. She also has been known to say things that could be misconstrued as hurtful before, even if that isn't her intent.

Does everyone like Kairi? I don't think so. It's pretty clear that Naminé was jealous of her in CoM. And the villains, such as Saïx who kidnapped her (or Xehanort, who spent her out into space as a five-year-old and would also probably see her as an "abomination" that just proves the "tyranny of light" idea) probably don't see her in a favorable light.

Some other traits that seem to go along with a Mary-Sue now is having a unique name, but Kairi doesn't fit that bill, either. All the KH characters have special names, with different meanings, so unless you're going to knock them all for that Kairi certainly isn't a Mary-Sue for that reason.

An odd hair color can also contribute to a Mary-Sue, and Kairi's hair is a somewhat different color, yes... but no worse than pink, blue, silver, or anything else we've seen in this saga, imo. Her hairstyle is actually one of the most normal ones, tbh.

Honestly, if I were to say anyone was a Mary-Sue in this series... it would be Sora (and it hurts me to say this, because he's still my favorite character of all time), but... Nothing ever really seems to faze him (outside of KHI, CoM, and DDD); he's always optimistic and knows how to put a smile on his face.

Even in DDD, when learning that he's not special like his friends are at all and that the Keyblade only chose him for the people he's connected to... This still didn't bother Sora.

He also always seems to know the right thing to say, and has made other characters less versions of themselves (i.e. coming up with the "trapping Jafar in the lamp" idea that was supposed to be Aladdin's, etc.).

And he's also the magical character destined to save everyone, and who's the only one in the multiverse who has still chosen to have a childish heart and see the good and possibility in everyone, blah blah blah.

Honestly, I'm REALLY hoping that KHIII does away with a lot of these things when it comes to Sora, and makes him seem real again, but fortunately I think that it will:)

I also think Aqua might be a little bit Mary-Sue like (though this is more for lack of development, and 0.2 and/or III could easily fix this). She's the mother of the group, who was right about everything, saved everyone... is the only Master in the group, who doesn't really grow throughout the course of the story (or change her world view much at all), and doesn't really seem to have many faults at all (if any)... Yeah...

Honestly, some of these claims I could argue with Aqua (as I do think we see development in her when she chooses to go where the comatose Ven instructs her to, after having been the one to tell him what to do the whole game and stuff like that), but the fact that these things are so slight and easily missed is the main problem with Aqua.

Imo, Terra and Ven developed much more than she did... And yet I still prefer Aqua over them and list her as my fourth favorite character in the series, probably. LOL.
What the hell are you serious

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards

I think you are wrong. Sora loves Kairi, Sora is everyone, therefore everybody loves Kairi.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
But everyone is Xehanort too! Not everyone loves Kairi!

Just cause you punt one 5 year old girl into space to see what happens doesn't mean you don't love them anymore. SMH how soft society has become now a days.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
she's the only character capable of wielding the x-blade one handed with dem big meaty claws

I think we have a winner here.

kingdomheartsbirthbysleepfacial08.jpg

You could argue that SE had her ruin a friendship that had lasted for how many years because they needed to input a "two guys try to save the damsel in distress" story in KH1. But other than that, yes, her impact is just too small.

I had some trouble with that running into corridors etc stuff.
Like...what bad stuff actually happened to her? She got kidnapped by Axel, yeah wow. And...? It doesn't really look like he harmed her much even though he apologizes to Sora for "what he did to her".

But you already said it: Outside of KHI, CoM and 3D. And also Re:Coded, if you ask me. And let's not forget his desperate search for Kairi and Riku. And how he cries for the latter. I wouldn't say he fits the bill much more than Kairi does.

Because we (and he) knew since KH1 that his friends are his power anyways. He knows that his power comes from them and the keyblade is nothing he's proud of having - friendship though. He's proud and happy to have friends.

Although, again, we know he won't be able to pull all of this off without his friends. That's like calling Harry Potter a Gary Stu even though he'd have been long dead without all his friends and family.

who was right about everything

Where? She accused Terra of things he didn't do, didn't trust him, equaled using darkness or having some in your heart to being evil because her own Master told her so, didn't believe Terra only "helped" in killing Eraqus to save Ventus...
So I can't really agree.

D'uh.
She was too busy saving their butts, no time for development. xD
Although I'd argue that she did develop from simply following orders to making her own decisions.

I still agree that Kairi is not (yet) a Mary Sue.
I just feel like some things you said didn't quite fit, sorry. I don't mean any harm. :X

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
Oh geez, no the topic is murdering. Xehanort: "Come here, little girl." *Holds keyblade behind him*

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
"Let's start from the very beginning. A very good place to start.", as they say. Let's start by defining Mary Sue:

tv|tropes said:
Mary Sue is a derogatory term primarily used in Fan Fic circles to describe a particular type of character. This much everyone can agree on. What that character type is, exactly, differs wildly from circle to circle, and often from person to person.

The prototypical Mary Sue is an original female character in a fanfic who obviously serves as an idealized version of the author mainly for the purpose of Wish Fulfillment. She's exotically beautiful, often having an unusual hair or eye color, and has a similarly cool and exotic name. She's exceptionally talented in an implausibly wide variety of areas, and may possess skills that are rare or nonexistent in the canon setting. She also lacks any realistic, or at least story-relevant, character flaws — either that or her "flaws" are obviously meant to be endearing.

Source: Mary Sue - TV Tropes

---

Let's go piece-by-piece, shall we? :]

tv|tropes said:
The prototypical Mary Sue is an original female character in a fanfic who obviously serves as an idealized version of the author mainly for the purpose of Wish Fulfillment.
Wish Fulfillment? Check!

tv|tropes said:
She's exotically beautiful, often having an unusual hair or eye color, and has a similarly cool and exotic name.
Uhh... where to start? lol *ahem* Kairi is certainly beautiful, but not exotically, haha. She doesn't have unusual hair, nor eye color. But she does have an exotic name. So yeah, she fits this bill as well. Not entirely, but for the most part, she does. :)

tv|tropes said:
She's exceptionally talented in an implausibly wide variety of areas, and may possess skills that are rare or nonexistent in the canon setting.
Although she doesn't meet this criteria (and she sure as hell does not posses skills that are rare or nonexistent in the canon setting), I can visualize Kairi developing exceptional talent in wielding the Keyblade and utilizing magic in KINGDOM HEARTS III. So she, hypothetically, meets this criteria.

tv|tropes said:
She also lacks any realistic, or at least story-relevant, character flaws — either that or her "flaws" are obviously meant to be endearing.
Hooo, boy. She does have some flaws, but they aren't in-game, but more from a perspective when viewing her character as a spectator.

---

My final verdict is that Kairi is not​ a Mary Sue, but is on her way to being one.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
this thread's cumulative theory:

Master Exin is omniscient

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
But Xion is part Sora and Roxas, so be extension Sora and Roxas are also mary sues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back