• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Maleficent

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
I can kind of tell that the plot of this movie is going to be awful, but that Angelina's Maleficent will have enough charisma to pull it off anyway. She is positively enchanting in every preview we have gotten. I can't take my eyes off her.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I even love Elle Fanning, but I'd have to agree with Raz. Nothing about the film particularly interests me other than that Angelina is tailor made for this role. I'll be watching it for sure, so I hope it surpasses my expectations.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Seeing this in 23 and a half hours at the IMAX. I'm so excited.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
This movie was AMAZING! One of the, if not THE best live action adaptions. I'd love to express my thoughts about it, but I'm still on a high from it plus it's opening night so I don't wanna accidentally spoil people, even with spoiler tags.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
I just saw the movie, and I can not express enough how much I disliked it. Granted, Angelina portrayed Maleficent very well, and felt pretty close to Eleanor Audley's performance during the christening scene, as well as a few others. But even that isn't enough to save the movie for me.

I suppose it isn't terrible in its own right, but for a movie that claims to be the story of Disney's Sleeping Beauty from Maleficent's point of view, it did a horrible job of doing so. I understood going into this that there would be something to make Maleficent a bit sympathetic, but I did not expect them to practically turn the story on its head. If you're a fan of Sleeping Beauty or Maleficent, do yourself a favor and skip this movie, as it's nothing but an insult to the character.

When I think about this movie and the people who came up with these ideas, only three worlds come to my mind:

Turn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ~&#
Awards
Website
flavors.me
Yeah, as someone basically obsessed with Disney's Sleeping Beauty, and first and foremost madly in love with the character Maleficent, I could barely watch the trailers without getting at least a little irate lol. I'm sure I'll see the movie eventually when it sees a video release, but I can't imagine I'll like it. I know the original too well, and I'm too fond of it to be able to appreciate this kind of re-imagining. I can definitely appreciate a lot behind the ideas, and especially the artistic direction, but I can't not acknowledge that this film simply wasn't made for my particular brand of fan. :(

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards
I'll be siding with Chaser on this one; I actually really liked this film. Angelina Jolie was phenomenal in the role and the Christening scene was absolute gold, but the rest of the film was pretty great too. The trick is going in with the understanding that it is a different story than the original Sleeping Beauty.

I'll do a more detailed review of the film tomorrow.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
The movie had me up until about two thirds in. Some of the highlights include Angelina Jolie, the visuals, and the honest effort to deviate the story into something different. But the flaws...

-I really don't know what they were trying to do with the king. Was he supposed to be a multidimensional character? I mean, what's the point in developing him as a romantic interest and having him beg for his child if he's just going to get the traditional villain treatment in the end?
-I'm pretty disappointed that the crow turned into a dragon, instead of Maleficent; her dragon form is iconic to her.
-This one is more of my opinion, but I think that Maleficent dying to save Aurora would've made for a better ending.
-The Prince is so. God. Damn. Useless. This is probably the greatest offense to the story.

It's an alright movie to watch with the friends. Not amazing, not very good, but acceptable. Barely.
5/10

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
At least it's doing good at the box office: Maleficent Knocks X-Men: Days of Future Past From the Top of the Box Office - IGN

I'm pretty sure I'll see this movie, but not at the theaters. I'll wait until it's a rental or something because of the bad reviews it's been getting.

What garbage, X-Men is way better than this and deserves to be number one for more than one weekend. Hopefully this signals to Disney to not do these "dark, gritty" reimaginings of these classics films just for the sake of doing them. All it would do is just tarnish the original's brilliance.

Kiba

Ours is the Fury
Awards
Yeah, I saw this on Monday. It wasn't terrible, but I felt like they could have fleshed Maleficent out a bit more. Angelina Jolie did a great job in her portrayal.

Elle Fanning was really just there to smile a lot. and Prince Philip didn't even need to be in the movie with the route they took.

and the dragon thing pissed me off. The movie touted Maleficent as being the most powerful fairy in the moors, but all she really did was put an endless amount of people to sleep. They also floated.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
Just came back from the cinema. This movie is so flawed, it's not even funny.

- The beginning is so good and sets up Maleficent as a character so well... until Aurora is born. Then everything goes downhill. They never showed the villain "Maleficent" in my opinion.

- The prince was just there to tell us that "this is the story we all know", but other than that, there is no reason whatsoever to have him in this movie.

- Maleficent herself didn't turn into a dragon. diddly that. And the dragon that is in the movie is so weak that a couple of soldiers can pull it down... seriously?

- Maleficent's wings miraculously start flapping again when Maleficent is near, yet they don't do that when they're being cut off by Stefan. Why?

- Aurora isn't really doing much in this movie and is only there to turn Maleficent into a good person at the end of the story... This is the same person she was trying to get killed in the original movie. That's as stupid as making a film about Voldemort and making him care for Harry.

- The 3 fairies were so irritating in this movie and have no purpose whatsoever. In the original, they make everyone fall asleep (including Aurora) and help Prince Phillip fight Maleficent. Here? They're just here to make sure you don't forget that this is the story of "Sleeping Beauty".

- "Fairies are weak against iron".... Okay. Well, it didn't look like it bothered you that much at the end of the movie... She should've been dead lol

- The true love's kiss... Frozen?

Don't get me wrong, some parts were really good, and Angelina Jolie does a great job with what she's given... but most of this story is just plain bullshit to me. So yeah... Not excited to see what they're going to do with other Disney villains.

Last edited:

Kh831

Re: Maleficent the movie

I personally liked the movie it was different yet some how I feel the creators of Frozen were involved in the script writing. I give the movie 4.6. Like I said great movie but not the best.

nxtgarnett5

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I thought Jolie was spectacular in it. It was a twisted version of the original and I really liked it.

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
As soon as my Entertainment Weekly said she was cast as Maleficent a while back, I told myself she was PERFECT. And seeing the movie sure didn't prove me wrong! I LOVED it!!!

It was also a treat to see the Big Hero 6 trailer for the first time.

kmorris2609

I am still attempting to see this movie as soon as I can, but I can still say that I have never been more pleased with the casting of a movie. I have seen countless comparisons of the live actions actors to the original animated ones and I don't think the producers could have done a better job with the cast. Angelina Jolie was made to play Maleficent.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
god DAMN IT CHASER

i just finished watching both tron movies and this was a kick in the gut.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Why oh why. The only way I'd like this is if she went back to fully petty evil. They had a great villain and ruined her. There's no needto run her further into the ground.

Back