• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Star Wars: The Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Favorite Star Wars Film

• The Phantom Menace

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Attack of the Clones

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • A New Hope

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 46 39.7%
  • Return of the Jedi

Votes: 19 16.4%

• Total voters

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

tumblr_o5pcdoyuvx1u26zboo3_1280.png

latest

That's whatever, I guess. It changes absolutely nothing. Dude's too old at this point to have a relationship anyways.

his relationship with Han has a lot of interesting undertones

Pfffft. I'd ship Chewie with Han before pairing him with Luke. There's like nothing to work with.

It's just lazy retconning/PC-ifying, unless they come up with an actual valid reason for it.

What's your idea of a valid reason, exactly?

Actually, I've got an answer: it's a damn big galaxy. You have countless species and cultures, all with their own sets of morals and values, and I bet you that a lot of them do not line up with our own real-world modern-day ideals. This is a society where interspecies relationships aren't considered very unusual. You tell me which is more unbelievable: two completely different species (probably from different solar systems!) being attracted to eachother, or two of the same species and the same sex being in a romantic relationship?

I mean, after seeing a massive slug get turned on by a human female, gay people don't seem very outlandish.
(I might as well point out that the Roman Republic, which the Galactic Republic is heavily based upon, had a culture which was relatively accepting of gays, so make what you will of that.)

Now if you don't mind, I'm gonna sit back and enjoy watching y'all troll eachother over this. :D

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com

It changes absolutely nothing.
It would change a lot outside the story.

Dude's too old at this point to have a relationship anyways.
Wut. Old people have relationships, and he's younger than Han (whose story in VII revolved around his relationship)

Pfffft. I'd ship Chewie with Han before pairing him with Luke. There's like nothing to work with.
There are a lot of people who'd disagree with you lol. Especially since Han was literally rewritten into a romantic subplot meant for Leia/Luke lol But I'm not really here to debate particulars of Star Wars shipping. Point is, it's definitely open enough.

I do think that if any major characters were going to be revealed to be gay I'd probably be someone from the new trio, though. Probably Poe.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards

Maybe it's just me, but I never really felt any undertones with Luke with anyone lol. But if my fave from the entire SW universe is confirmed to be a dirty homosexual, then I am ecstatic.

Now we just need them to confirm Poe. I'll be 100% surprised if Poe is not into the guys.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards

It would change a lot outside the story.
So it would. And I'm not very concerned about that.
Luke's orientation has next to no bearing on the character as we know him, revealing that he's gay wouldn't affect or change much about his character or any of his accomplishments, which makes backlash against it all the more pointless.

There are a lot of people who'd disagree with you lol. Especially since Han was literally rewritten into a romantic subplot meant for Leia/Luke lol But I'm not really here to debate particulars of Star Wars shipping. Point is, it's definitely open enough.
If Luke was swapped out for Han in the romantic subplot with Leia, what does that have to do with Luke x Han subtext?
Eh whatever, I'm not a SW shipper anyways.

I do think that if any major characters were going to be revealed to be gay I'd probably be someone from the new trio, though. Probably Poe.
If Finn x Poe becomes canon... You know, I'd be totally okay with that.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com

If Luke was swapped out for Han in the romantic subplot with Leia, what does that have to do with Luke x Han subtext?
No, silly. Leia was swapped out for Han. As in Han took Leia's storyline that was filled with romantic subtext.

https://reyton.tumblr.com/post/142900046398/story-time-the-first-draft-of-the-screenplay

If Finn x Poe becomes canon... You know, I'd be totally okay with that.
As should literally everyone. They're very cute together.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards

I don't think gay people need a "valid reason" for existing, and if you do, you "might a piece of garbage".

What is the actual valid reason for him being straight, for any character to be straight? Why can characters be straight without it having to be justified, but the minute someone isn't straight it needs "actual valid reasons" for it? The existence of people other than straight folk is apparently too "PC". Give me a break.

Thanks for twisting my words as usual, always a pleasure. Anyway, Star Wars films are not rom-coms, they're action/sci-fi space operas. Even the Han/Leia interactions were nothing more than little pecks here and there (I'm not even gonna get into Padme/Anakin lol), there's just no time for any romantic issues in these films, especially since they're so fast paced. At least as far as TFA was concerned since that's what taste of what we'll have to go on, even the originals moved things along pretty quick.

I just think it's a direct misuse of the IP to preach these PC/political statements through these films just to please the 'tolerant' left; it's completely wrong to turn Star Wars into, say The Danish Girl or what have you. And don't misunderstand me like you and others tend to (I'm also shitty with words, so I'm at fault too), I'm not inherently against any of this, there's just a time and place for such issues.

And I thought I usually go against the grain. Literally nearly all articles that mention this have hundreds of comments with my exact sentiments on this (you can just search 'star wars gay' in facebook even to get thousands of comments similar to mine), so it seems to me this is the more popular stance in those voicing their thoughts.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards

What does a character's possible sexuality have to do with muh epic laser sword opera stories?! I don't watch Star Wars to form gender studies critiques, I watch it for the story it's offering on its own, can we move on people, unless you'd prefer filling up the next year and eight months discussing things that are either almost 40 years old, or just basking in Episode VIII when it releases

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards

Fair enough, I was done with this anyway.
So I saw this the other day and not sure whether to post it here or in its respective thread, but I'll put it here:

James Cameron: Opening Avatar Sequels Against Star Wars Films Would've Been 'Stupid' - IGN

“My original plan was to release them a year apart, but we’re opening that up," said Cameron. "If for no other reason than that I don’t want to land on the same date as one of the Star Wars sequels. That wouldn’t be fair to them. No, that’s just good business. I don’t want to go head-to-head with Star Wars. That would be stupid. And hopefully they won’t want to go head-to-head with us.” - James Cameron

Clearly a joke, but man the balls this man has. I definitely would love to see that match up though, to be honest.

edit: Also looks like some British royalty stopped by haha

British Royalty Visit the Set of Star Wars: Episode 8

CgaVf-ZWEAEyRlV.jpg:large

Last edited:

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com

Thanks for twisting my words as usual, always a pleasure.
Yeah, I think that's on you, boo. In no reality was my comment a reach based on your own statements and general attitude whenever these topics come up. I mean for god's sake you use the term "PC" unironically lol.

Anyway, Star Wars films are not rom-coms, they're action/sci-fi space operas. Even the Han/Leia interactions were nothing more than little pecks here and there (I'm not even gonna get into Padme/Anakin lol), there's just no time for any romantic issues in these films, especially since they're so fast paced. At least as far as TFA was concerned since that's what taste of what we'll have to go on, even the originals moved things along pretty quick.
I don't think anyone is arguing for a giant departure in tone when they say they want gay characters. Keep it to the same consistency as it has been throughout the series, that's fine. But if there is room in the series for straight characters, there should be room for gay characters, it's that simple.

I just think it's a direct misuse of the IP to preach these PC/political statements through these films just to please the 'tolerant' left
God forbid a multi-billion dollar franchise be diverse and not just cater to straight white dudes.

There's just a time and place for such issues. There's plenty of time and room for such character issues through books and the like, they've even already done in recent years.
Ah, so the only correct place for gay characters is if they're shunted off into books? There's a huge difference between characters in tie-in novels being gay and doing it in the main series films. And, again, if the main series can have straight characters, then it can have gay characters. It doesn't even really have to be an "issue" that requires a lot of screen time or anything lol. Just, if you're planning on having a character express interest in the opposite sex, have it be the same sex, you don't need to make their story "about" being gay or anything. It's really that simple.

aw i was really hoping it was going to be the queen when you just had the link.

Last edited:

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards

It's actually quite a good story, and deals with robot existentialism. Do androids like C-3PO have a choice beyond their programming, or are they just another tool, an extensor of their masters' will.

The red arm still doesn't matter. But it's a good story.

That's cool to hear actually, if I ever come across it I might pick it up. It just feels so silly in context on the film since he's already got a golden arm back by the end as if they just kept the red arm in the movie for his goofy opening line.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards

It's just one of those things JJ wanted to chuck in to give people an idea of the time and stories that have passed in between. C-3PO had a silver leg in ANH.

The red arm never really mattered. But we got a good story out of it.

khluva010

Nice Ascot!
on the playground is where I spent most of my days

It's actually quite a good story, and deals with robot existentialism. Do androids like C-3PO have a choice beyond their programming, or are they just another tool, an extensor of their masters' will.

The red arm still doesn't matter. But it's a good story.

I enjoyed this side story as well. Great read.

But if the Star Wars universe includes any gay/lesbian/bi/queer/trans/pan/all inclusive characters into their universe, it'll be a beautiful day, I can absolutely see it happening in the near future.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards

It already has. The only place it hasn't happened yet is on film and TV.

khluva010

Nice Ascot!
on the playground is where I spent most of my days

In the expanded universe? Wonderful! But I'd love to see it on the big screen as well.

But back to Rogue One, I'm excited for this anthology series. Could this be the first Star Wars film that won't involve any light saber battles? Of course they'll talk about the Sith and Luke but I don't think this story will go there and it'll work out quite well. Of course I'm solely basing this off that incredible trailer.

dlppictures

Awards
Website
dlppictures.blogspot.dk

So apparently Mads Mikkelsen accidently revealed what character he is playing in Rogue One on a TV-interview a few days ago.
He caught himself in the mistake and stopped before he could reveal too much.

Mads revealed that he is playing Jyn's father, as was rumored by makingstarwars.net back in January.
makingstarwars.net was approximately 9 out of 10 for correct rumors about TFA, and already one correct rumor for Rogue One. That could mean Thrawn will appear in season three of Rebels, for all those Thrawn fans out there.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards

So apparently Mads Mikkelsen accidently revealed what character he is playing in Rogue One on a TV-interview a few days ago.
He caught himself in the mistake and stopped before he could reveal too much.

Mads revealed that he is playing Jyn's father, as was rumored by makingstarwars.net back in January.
makingstarwars.net was approximately 9 out of 10 for correct rumors about TFA, and already one correct rumor for Rogue One. That could mean Thrawn will appear in season three of Rebels, for all those Thrawn fans out there.

It looked like a purposeful slip of tongue, he paused quite in between each word before seeming to freak out and cover it up.

[video=youtube;lZo-wA-vqWY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZo-wA-vqWY[/video]

Around 1:25

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Back