• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Bravely Second: End Layer - BDFF 4th Anniversary, teasing upcoming news?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Re: Bravely Second: End Layer - Headed to the west in 2016

I don't really care that these side quests were altered, especially if it was done in response to overwhelming fan feedback, and I'm more irritated by how some people are throwing tantrums over attempts to improve the game. All I'm hearing is "it's different so it sucks," the classic "OMG CENSORSHIP," and even some people who're whining because... they're miffed over the idea that the devs felt the original needed improvement? Ugh, I can't follow this logic at all.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Are people really that upset? If Japanese fans complained, it was for a reason and with the Bravely games, I would rather they fix something to make it less redundant.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com

Are people really that upset? If Japanese fans complained, it was for a reason and with the Bravely games, I would rather they fix something to make it less redundant.
Well, most people were in a reactionary mood from the get-go. It was used as ammunition against Nintendo for "censorship" before even really understanding the changes themselves. So it was just fuel for that and for that whole section of gamers looking for that kind of controversy. Now that the actual reason and details are out I imagine most people will feel fine with it, some will walk back what they said, and others will commit to it even harder out of not wanting to admit they were wrong.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com

I'm cool with it, now that I know why. I am not hardcore on "yuck, censorship" myself, especially when this isn't censorship. It's correcting a problem. I try to make sure I have the details about why they changed that before I pitch a fit. ^^

Recon

Art of War
Awards

The Bravely Second demo is so goddamn boring. It completely fails to gain my attention. Don't get me wrong, some of the dialogue is great, but A LOT of it is unnecessary. It's like they intended to drag on conversations for the sake of it...

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards

^ I also felt that in some instances the conversations lasted a bit too long. They got the point already cross but the discussion still went on.

So I finished the game yesterday and I really liked it. It is late here so I do not have enough time to write too deeply about the game. To put it simply I was little sad that you visit so many of old locations in the game. There are new towns and dungeons, but I had hoped that there would have been more.
The story was paced pretty well this time around and it did not feel like they tried to make the game longer artificially, like they did with Bravely Default. Bravely Second took me around 50 hours to finish. I could have finished the game earlier, but there was an one really interesting new job that I wanted to Edea to master.
I enjoyed the cast of characters very much(I had no trouble with our main cast this time around), and the villains have more backstory this time around. Or that is how I felt.
The new music is not quite as good as the old one, but despite that its pretty great. Especially some of the new boss battle songs are good.

Chill

Silver Member
Awards

I finally managed to beat Bravely Default, the final boss fight was actually better than I had been expecting, very cool fight.
*cough although i found the fight against airy to be harder *cough

Now, time to round up the spare cash for Bravely Second and smash through it, before I accidentally get more spoilers.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Re: Bravely Second: End Layer - Out now!

There are handful of people who haven't beaten the original yet including me ;~;

On the other hand, the Bravely Second is scoring beautifully with reviewers. Like, this game is getting damn good scores. It's doing better than Hyrule Warriors and Final Fantasy Explorers. That says a lot.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards

So how are you guys feeling about the massive censoring of this game? Apparently entire storylines were cut to end in only one outcome as opposed to four voiced endings, along with a bunch of other changes.

I've seen the original game floating on my radar here and there, but after this I'm not so sure anymore =/

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards

So how are you guys feeling about the massive censoring of this game? Apparently entire storylines were cut to end in only one outcome as opposed to four voiced endings, along with a bunch of other changes.

I've seen the original game floating on my radar here and there, but after this I'm not so sure anymore =/

Hmm, are you talking about the side-quest thing that we discussed a few moths back? Hirokey123 wrote a pretty good post about in page 9, and in a nutshell the changes/cuts were done in more of a spirit to avoid repetition and make the gaming experience more fun, than to censor stuff. I finished the game a few moths back and these changes did not affect my enjoyment of the game at all. I was more sad that you visit the same locations in Bravely Second that were in the first game, but that is my only major complaint towards the game.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards

Hmm, are you talking about the side-quest thing that we discussed a few moths back? Hirokey123 wrote a pretty good post about in page 9, and in a nutshell the changes/cuts were done in more of a spirit to avoid repetition and make the gaming experience more fun, than to censor stuff. I finished the game a few moths back and these changes did not affect my enjoyment of the game at all. I was more sad that you visit the same locations in Bravely Second that were in the first game, but that is my only major complaint towards the game.

I think that might be it, where this side quest only turns into one outcome, and any other outcomes that had characters die in it were removed? I can't find the source of that, but that doesn't really sound like it was cut for repetition's sake. I'll go check this post on page 9 in the meantime. But it doesn't sound like this localization was as butchered as FE Fates was.

Neyan

Aaah I also finished the first game just before starting the second one, just because reaching the true ending took me so long (and quite honestly I sucked at the game, even on Easy.)

That's what I liked about BSEL though, that it wasn't as long and not nearly as repetitive as the first one. Granted, it had 2 chapters less, but it still felt like a mostly complete story excluding all the Bravely Third teasers

As for cencorship it honestly doesn't affect the gameplay that much. The only thing I know of is the exclusion of those dialogues during the side quests and I think it's understandable that you shouldn't have to play the game 4 times to get all the possible cutscenes (which btw, was excluded due to Japanese players complaining so)

CutiePique

Awards

I think that might be it, where this side quest only turns into one outcome, and any other outcomes that had characters die in it were removed? I can't find the source of that, but that doesn't really sound like it was cut for repetition's sake. I'll go check this post on page 9 in the meantime. But it doesn't sound like this localization was as butchered as FE Fates was.

I've done one sidequest so far, so keep that in mind, but... based on the choice I had to make (which asterisk holder to fight), the quests still have multiple endings. And as for "outcomes that had characters die in it [being] removed", the guy I fought did not/has not reappeared for the sidequest's concluding dialogue or appeared in the game. So until further notice, I'd say I killed a man. :,> As of yet, I don't feel I'm missing out.

I'm loving all of the new additions to the gameplay from Default and as for the story, I want to progress just like when I first played Default. The Chomper plushie-making mini-game was SO addicting. The dialogue is... ... ... charming? It's not an embarrassment or anything, but occasionally I hear a line that makes me wonder what the original Japanese line.
...And if Yew could stop saying "gravy", that'd be sweeeeet.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com

"Regarding changes made to Bravely Second: End Layer for worldwide release

Based on feedback received after Bravely Second: End Layer's release in Japan, the development team at Square Enix, in conjunction with Silicon Studio, decided to implement a number of revisions to the game for the purpose of improving its quality and creating a more enjoyable product.

One such change affects the game's optional side quests, where players encounter a conflict between two opposing parties and choose which party to side with.

When the game was released in Japan, each side quest would end with the team lamenting the decision they made, regardless of the player's decision. This was intended to help players empathise with the characters' situation, but overwhelming feedback from players indicated that they felt an unsatisfying disconnect between their intentions and the characters' reactions. In response, these side quest endings were amended to show the party readily coming to terms with their actions in a manner that does not cause the player undue regret for their decisions.

These changes do not affect the gameplay or the course of events in the game, and were made with the intention of improving the game experience for players."-Nintendo

and Hiro's detailed explanation.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards

"Regarding changes made to Bravely Second: End Layer for worldwide release

Based on feedback received after Bravely Second: End Layer's release in Japan, the development team at Square Enix, in conjunction with Silicon Studio, decided to implement a number of revisions to the game for the purpose of improving its quality and creating a more enjoyable product.

One such change affects the game's optional side quests, where players encounter a conflict between two opposing parties and choose which party to side with.

When the game was released in Japan, each side quest would end with the team lamenting the decision they made, regardless of the player's decision. This was intended to help players empathise with the characters' situation, but overwhelming feedback from players indicated that they felt an unsatisfying disconnect between their intentions and the characters' reactions. In response, these side quest endings were amended to show the party readily coming to terms with their actions in a manner that does not cause the player undue regret for their decisions.

These changes do not affect the gameplay or the course of events in the game, and were made with the intention of improving the game experience for players."-Nintendo

and Hiro's detailed explanation.

Bravely Second localization has seemingly butchered the game
More Changes to Bravely Second in the West - NeoGAF
So anything else got censored on EU version? - Bravely Second: End Layer Message Board for 3DS - GameFAQs

I'll give Hiro the benefit of the doubt since I haven't played for myself obviously, but all/most these people have played the game in the links and they're saying otherwise.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards

Bravely Second localization has seemingly butchered the game
More Changes to Bravely Second in the West - NeoGAF
So anything else got censored on EU version? - Bravely Second: End Layer Message Board for 3DS - GameFAQs

I'll give Hiro the benefit of the doubt since I haven't played for myself obviously, but all/most these people have played the game in the links and they're saying otherwise.
This honestly looks like a lot of over-reacting to second-hand hearsay. Almost none ​of these people have actually played the game themselves. :I

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com

Yeah those were all over-reactions from before Nintendo clarified exactly what was changed and why. For some people any change is going to be awful and "game ruining" but the truth is that it was done in response to player feedback. Most people don't realize this, but the same happened with the first game too. S-E received so much player feedback on the first BD that they rereleased it with an updated version ("For the Sequel") and this was the version that was released internationally. This is just another example of that on a lesser scale. It was done for the benefit of the game. You can argue whether or not those changes are good or not (though I wouldn't really take anyone's opinion on it super seriously if they hadn't actually played both versions), but it's hardly "censorship" for a company to modify their own game in response to feedback.

Last edited:
Back