• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Telltale's Batman - Summer 2016 - "Alfred will remember that"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
batmanlogo_1024.jpg

• Batman is the perfect character for the studio to explore in a Telltale series, giving the team the opportunity to dive deeper into the mind of the man behind the mask. Each night, Bruce Wayne chooses to change Gotham for the better. The team wants to explore what the consequences are of the player’s actions when decisions made as Bruce have a critical impact on his nightly crusade as Batman, and vice versa. Certain key situations will give the player the decision to approach a scene as Bruce or Batman, with consequences for both sides.
  • Fresh interpretation of the universe set in current times, not tied to any existing iteration of Batman in games, film, or comics. Story will focus on Bruce and Batman, not an examination of the extended 'Bat-family,' (Robin, Nightwing, etc.) Fans can expect certain series staples such as Alfred Pennyworth, Vicki Vale, James Gordon, and Renee Montoya. Telltale is looking to keep the villains more tightly under wraps until closer to the premiere.
  • Certain characters will have a deeply personal relationship with Bruce in his private life, and decisions made as Bruce or Batman will affect their paths towards corruption or redemption.
  • The player's actions will help shape the Gotham that Bruce deals with during the day, as well as the criminals that Batman faces at night.
  • Team is committing to a non-photorealistic interpretation of the universe, enhancing engine and technology to deliver a more seamless living comic book art direction. Taking inspiration from the works of over 75 years of artists such as Jim Lee, Greg Capullo, and Neal Adams.
  • Like some other Telltale series, the game will be landing at M (Mature 17+) rating, and the cinematic approach will feel more akin to an R-rated film.
https://www.telltalegames.com/blog/...on-telltale-s-batman-series-discussed-at-sxsw

(Do we have a thread? I looked and Googled and didn't find anything...)

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Personally, I'm not really excited about this. I don't really care for Batman, like, at all. I'm probably going to skip this one like I did GoT, but... who knows? I hope it turns out well though. I imagine it will. I guess I'm just a little disappointed... I don't know. The thing I liked about TellTale games was that most of their recent stuff based on other properties took like... I don't know. They were like based on the settings of the property, but told new stories with new characters, often people who wouldn't really get fleshed out in the core series. Like, Tales from the Borderlands focusing on a company worker and con-woman. Or their Walking Dead games not having any of the characters from the show or comics. I liked that approach the most, especially since it usually meant they had more creative freedom with where it went and who these people were.

But again, I'm sure it will be good. Most of their stuff is good and I'll keep an eye on it and maybe pick it up when the first episode is made free like they usually do.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I think most of my excitement is centered on the fact that we are going to explore more of Bruce Wayne and hopefully not so much how Bruce IS Batman. We know all the ways in which Bruce is Batman but I've always been interested in exploring Bruce as he interacts with others in an interactive medium and how the role of Batman has affected his interactions with people.

His focus on his mission and his role as Batman has always superseded Bruce Wayne the person and he's used Bruce as another role he plays and a means to an end. I'd be happy if TTG could show a different Bruce who is affected by the divide between his public persona, his more private self, the man who puts on the cowl every night, and all of the Bruce Waynes that lie in-between.

Essentially, I want the opposite of Batman Arkham Knight. That is all I really need.

Personally, I'm not really excited about this. I don't really care for Batman, like, at all. I'm probably going to skip this one like I did GoT, but... who knows? I hope it turns out well though. I imagine it will. I guess I'm just a little disappointed... I don't know. The thing I liked about TellTale games was that most of their recent stuff based on other properties took like... I don't know. They were like based on the settings of the property, but told new stories with new characters, often people who wouldn't really get fleshed out in the core series. Like, Tales from the Borderlands focusing on a company worker and con-woman. Or their Walking Dead games not having any of the characters from the show or comics. I liked that approach the most, especially since it usually meant they had more creative freedom with where it went and who these people were.

But again, I'm sure it will be good. Most of their stuff is good and I'll keep an eye on it and maybe pick it up when the first episode is made free like they usually do.

I still have yet to finish Tales from the Borderlands so I can't speak on my faith in the writing team themselves yet, but I do have faith that they can make something great even though it isn't telling a story about a new character. Bruce Wayne has always had a lot of layers as a character and there is plenty to be done with him that hasn't been explored in the comics, films, and animated shows.

They did pretty good with TWAU by presenting Bigby and the Fables cast in a unique way, so I have a bit of hope in that regard.

But yeah, if you don't like Batman then you probably should wait to check this game out to see if they do anything special with the universe.

(TTG is trying to cash in on the BvS craze that will follow the film after its release this month so that likely has everything to do with why they are using this property)

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
I don't know if this is the place (is this specifically for the Batman game or just TellTale in general?) But I wonder when we're going to hear more about TellTale's original IP (and tv show?)? We still have such few details about that and I'm really curious what they're going to do with it.

I did end up picking TWAU without knowing anything about Fables and enjoyed it enough, so the same could hold true for this game as well. Like I said, I'll keep an eye on it. TellTale's track record usually makes it easy for me to take the risk and buy their games even when I'm not totally sold on the premise, so I could see myself getting this on impulse down the line. But it'll also depend on what else is coming out around that time. It's not appointment gaming, so to speak, for me yet.

Last edited:

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
im excited for batman: un-fuck up arkham's storytelling the game

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Yeah the thing I am most looking forward to with this as well is the premise of actually doing stuff as Bruce and that having an impact on his time as the Batman. Also, I have enjoyed both TTG games I have played, so I assume I will enjoy this one as well. I mean, they could probably mess it up I guess haha, but we shall see.

A little disappointed with no bat family at all though. I would like them to show up as maybe not heroes at least. Like Barbara for instance.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I'm gonna play this solely based on how Alfred looks at me, just like I did as Lee for Clem.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I don't know if this is the place (is this specifically for the Batman game or just TellTale in general?) But I wonder when we're going to hear more about TellTale's original IP (and tv show?)? We still have such few details about that and I'm really curious what they're going to do with it.

They have been pretty quiet about all of that since they made the announcement. Not too surprising since it takes TTG forever to talk about anything...

Yeah the thing I am most looking forward to with this as well is the premise of actually doing stuff as Bruce and that having an impact on his time as the Batman. Also, I have enjoyed both TTG games I have played, so I assume I will enjoy this one as well. I mean, they could probably mess it up I guess haha, but we shall see.

A little disappointed with no bat family at all though. I would like them to show up as maybe not heroes at least. Like Barbara for instance.

I think the decision to not include the Batfam is mainly to be able to focus on characters that often don't get the spotlight.

I'm gonna play this solely based on how Alfred looks at me, just like I did as Lee for Clem.

Disappointing Alfred is as good as a game over.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
I'm hoping this turns out to be a series and not just a one off set. I'd love to see the bat family come in at some point, but as for now I'm really looking forward to seeing Bruce's personal struggle with being Batman. And Telltale finally updating their engine helps. I'm also thrilled that they plan on using the updated engine for future titles, something that was needed so badly it isn't relatively close to funny.

The source if anybody is curious: Telltale's Engine Is Getting an Upgrade for the Batman Series - IGN

Relix

A traveler
Awards
I'm looking forward to how Bruce's character is going to be handled too. I know "He's Batman and Bruce Wayne is just an act" but that's not entirely true. Bruce Wayne the playboy who doesn't give a crap about anything but getting turnt may be an act but there is a person underneath the cowl who has to make consequential decisions and I would like to play as that character. Being Batman is fun and all, as Arkham has shown, with us bashing thugs' faces in but I want to play as the man. Hopefully he's not too broody.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I believe this will be my 26th game with the unlovely Troy Baker, and my third or fourth with him as Batman. My expectations are low.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
You can make it Bat flavored, but I still do not like the entire aspect of "Choose Your Own Adventure Game Where Choices Don't Matter".

Not to mention the fact that Batman already has a set personality so giving players a choice sort of, I don't know, destroys the character? I friggen swear if there is even an option to kill anyone...

Why not just have the Batman universe but be your own person? Like, a Batman copy cat or something. Just, not change Batman's character with player choice.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Well, this will be my first Telltale game (probably). I hope it's as good as they're making it out to be.
Don't do it. They're literally the worst of the genre with a crappy engine that can also corrupt your save files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back