• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What do you think of 358/2 Days?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wander

Expected edgy KH entry about Roxas and the Organization. Got Xion instead. Disappointed to say the least, but the story wasn't horrible. It was probably three times as long as it should have been but it was very mediocre at worst.

Normally I can overlook the story if I enjoy actually playing the game (hello, BBS) but Days' gameplay is objecticely horrible. It was mind-numbingly repetitive with how the missions are set up, and the panel system -- while interesting in concept and could have been legitimately good -- was implemented poorly. I think what kept me playing long enough to finish the game was me wanting to know how Roxas ended up in KH2, so I played its entirety at least but unlike pretty much every other KH game I never has the desire to replay it. A lot of the problems can be chalked up to trying to make an action game on the damn DS, people should not do this.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
The game was marketed as a KH entry that would give us a deeper look into the Organization and into Roxas' mind and origins. And while it technically is, it did not deliver on that concept at all. I always wondered what the real purpose of Xion was, why Nomura included her. When I found out he didn't and that it was really another writer's inclusion, it all made sense. Xion is the equivalent of someone sticking their original fan-character into their favorite game and trying to make them heavily plot relevant. It's cringy in theory and Days shows that its cringy in practice as well.

Now, do I like Days? Absolutely. But it is easily one of the weakest of the KH games.

Gameplay is boring. Enough has been said about that. It really does just feel like a chore. And the narrative does nothing to spur your interest in what you're doing because almost the entire game it's just "Roxas, go do missions" and then you go do missions, because missions. It feels mindless and without purpose. Which, from the narrative standpoint of Roxas, actually makes sense since it helps to make him question his identity and his purpose. But from the gamer's standpoint, it just makes us want to stop playing the game altogether, because nothing is really happening and even when you do something significant, you don't really feel it.

The plot is the main reason I play Kingdom Hearts, and Days' narrative had the potential to be great, but it really did nothing. I get that the whole idea was to fill in the gap of Roxas' time before KH2 and the necessity of tying it back into CoM and KH2, but they could have made it so much better than they did. They made the Organization feel like some kind of cackling bad guy fraternity, instead of the cold, calculating, and intelligent operation they appeared to be in CoM and KH2. Rather than get a deeper look into the heart of the Organization, we got a look at their break room. Lame.

We saw no character development from Axel. He just kinda stays the same the whole game. He doesn't have friends, then he does, so he cares about them, so he has feelings. But from a character arc standpoint, nada.

With Roxas, they did show us a decent look into the birth of a Nobody. There was an adequate showing of how Roxas appeared in Twilight Town, truly felt nothing and acted like a zombie (something I questioned even back in KH2 when they said Nobodies don't have feelings, but all of them were clearly emoting), and then how he developed a personality through his memories and experiences. We saw him grow a heart (as stated in DDD). It moved a bit fast, but at least they showed it and actually gave us Roxas' origins. So that's one promise of the game's concept that they kept.

Xion, as unnecessary as she was, they pulled it off. And by that, I don't mean she was a good addition to the series, I just mean they managed to pull off a shoehorned character that only ended up adding more fluff to an already weird and complicated storyline. Given my way, I would remove her from the series cause she really doesn't add anything. Don't get me wrong, I love Xion. Just as a standalone character, I think she's great and I really like her. But in the context of how and why she was put into the narrative of Days, she does not need to be in this series at all. The explanation that Xion is a backup plan in case Roxas defects works for me as a reason for her existence, but isn't that the exact same reason the Organization used Roxas with Sora? They manipulated Namine to manipulate Sora to doing their work, but in case he didn't follow along, they had Roxas as a backup plan? So then, they made another backup plan in case Roxas followed suit with Sora? How did they think "We'll try Sora, and if he doesn't work we have Roxas, and if he doesn't work, we made Xion" and not think of "What if Xion questions her existence as well?" Xion was even made from Sora's memories of Kairi, so if their reasoning was "Roxas is Sora's Nobody therefore he'll be drawn to Sora naturally so we have to be prepared if he goes looking" how did they not also reason that because Xion is made up of Sora's memories that the exact same thing would happen with Xion and she would go searching for answers as well? Again, Xion was unnecessary from the start. I love her, she's great and all, but her being in the story really doesn't add anything to the KH lore other than add in some sad feels. Xion is a popular character almost entirely because she dies tragically, and everyone knows it.

I still feel that Coded is the worst entry in the KH series just because my main focus is the plot and much like Days, Coded is a whole lot of nothing. The difference between Days and Coded though is that Days is a lot of nothing happening and then eventually stuff does happen that adds to the series and also ties nicely into CoM and KH2. Coded, on the other hand, is a whole lot of nothing up until the end where it suddenly shoves an incredibly confusing explanation as to why Coded's narrative needs to exist in the first place, and even then, one wonders why rather than do all the stuff Namine set up inside Jiminy's Journal, she didn't just write "Hey, Sora's got memories inside him of people who need help. Ask Mickey, he knew TAV. I saw it in Ventus' memories that I found inside Sora. Kthxbye."

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
The game was marketed as a KH entry that would give us a deeper look into the Organization and into Roxas' mind and origins. And while it technically is, it did not deliver on that concept at all. I always wondered what the real purpose of Xion was, why Nomura included her. When I found out he didn't and that it was really another writer's inclusion, it all made sense. Xion is the equivalent of someone sticking their original fan-character into their favorite game and trying to make them heavily plot relevant. It's cringy in theory and Days shows that its cringy in practice as well.

Now, do I like Days? Absolutely. But it is easily one of the weakest of the KH games.

Gameplay is boring. Enough has been said about that. It really does just feel like a chore. And the narrative does nothing to spur your interest in what you're doing because almost the entire game it's just "Roxas, go do missions" and then you go do missions, because missions. It feels mindless and without purpose. Which, from the narrative standpoint of Roxas, actually makes sense since it helps to make him question his identity and his purpose. But from the gamer's standpoint, it just makes us want to stop playing the game altogether, because nothing is really happening and even when you do something significant, you don't really feel it.

The plot is the main reason I play Kingdom Hearts, and Days' narrative had the potential to be great, but it really did nothing. I get that the whole idea was to fill in the gap of Roxas' time before KH2 and the necessity of tying it back into CoM and KH2, but they could have made it so much better than they did. They made the Organization feel like some kind of cackling bad guy fraternity, instead of the cold, calculating, and intelligent operation they appeared to be in CoM and KH2. Rather than get a deeper look into the heart of the Organization, we got a look at their break room. Lame.

We saw no character development from Axel. He just kinda stays the same the whole game. He doesn't have friends, then he does, so he cares about them, so he has feelings. But from a character arc standpoint, nada.

With Roxas, they did show us a decent look into the birth of a Nobody. There was an adequate showing of how Roxas appeared in Twilight Town, truly felt nothing and acted like a zombie (something I questioned even back in KH2 when they said Nobodies don't have feelings, but all of them were clearly emoting), and then how he developed a personality through his memories and experiences. We saw him grow a heart (as stated in DDD). It moved a bit fast, but at least they showed it and actually gave us Roxas' origins. So that's one promise of the game's concept that they kept.

Xion, as unnecessary as she was, they pulled it off. And by that, I don't mean she was a good addition to the series, I just mean they managed to pull off a shoehorned character that only ended up adding more fluff to an already weird and complicated storyline. Given my way, I would remove her from the series cause she really doesn't add anything. Don't get me wrong, I love Xion. Just as a standalone character, I think she's great and I really like her. But in the context of how and why she was put into the narrative of Days, she does not need to be in this series at all. The explanation that Xion is a backup plan in case Roxas defects works for me as a reason for her existence, but isn't that the exact same reason the Organization used Roxas with Sora? They manipulated Namine to manipulate Sora to doing their work, but in case he didn't follow along, they had Roxas as a backup plan? So then, they made another backup plan in case Roxas followed suit with Sora? How did they think "We'll try Sora, and if he doesn't work we have Roxas, and if he doesn't work, we made Xion" and not think of "What if Xion questions her existence as well?" Xion was even made from Sora's memories of Kairi, so if their reasoning was "Roxas is Sora's Nobody therefore he'll be drawn to Sora naturally so we have to be prepared if he goes looking" how did they not also reason that because Xion is made up of Sora's memories that the exact same thing would happen with Xion and she would go searching for answers as well? Again, Xion was unnecessary from the start. I love her, she's great and all, but her being in the story really doesn't add anything to the KH lore other than add in some sad feels. Xion is a popular character almost entirely because she dies tragically, and everyone knows it.

I still feel that Coded is the worst entry in the KH series just because my main focus is the plot and much like Days, Coded is a whole lot of nothing. The difference between Days and Coded though is that Days is a lot of nothing happening and then eventually stuff does happen that adds to the series and also ties nicely into CoM and KH2. Coded, on the other hand, is a whole lot of nothing up until the end where it suddenly shoves an incredibly confusing explanation as to why Coded's narrative needs to exist in the first place, and even then, one wonders why rather than do all the stuff Namine set up inside Jiminy's Journal, she didn't just write "Hey, Sora's got memories inside him of people who need help. Ask Mickey, he knew TAV. I saw it in Ventus' memories that I found inside Sora. Kthxbye."

The only thing I have to point out is the part where you pointed out the Sora-Roxas-Xion backup plans thing. One thing you have to keep in mind is that Xemnas sent Marluxia and Co. to Castle Oblivion to find the Chamber where Ventus was. Not to get Sora. In fact, earlier on Xemnas had fought Sora simply to get data from him in KH1, which I guess is the data used to make Xion in the first place.

Xemnas didn't order the Sora memory wipe to happen. That was all Marluxia's plan to topple Xemnas. Rose-hair came up with that one.

It seems that, Xemnas knew about Sora"s Keyblade abilities and fought him, gathering data to use for the Replica Program. Meanwhile, he had Vexen work on said Replicas (Riku replica and Xion) at Castle Oblivion. While there, he also had Zexion look for the Chamber. He also sent Lexeaus as backup for Zexy, because he knew Marluxia and Larxene were planning something.

Sora showing up was part of Marluxia's plan, and led to his downfall. Axel killed both Vexen and Zexion, who seemed to be higher in Xemnas' favor so that Saix could be there instead. Riku slew Lexeaus and Sora got rid of Marluxia and Larxene, opening Xemnas up to a new opportunity once he fell asleep. He restarted the Replica program, not knowing about Repliku's developed sense of self. Roxas was already in the Organization before they all went to Castle Oblivion after all. Meaning Sora wasn't Xemnas' plan at all. He was a minor obstacle that turned into an opportunity, while Roxas and Xion were the plan and backup plan respectively.

Even in DDD, Xehanort's master plan tackled Riku as the XIIIth Vessel first, then Roxas, apparently Xion (she wasn't listed because forgotten), and then Sora. Roxas was the plan in both cases before Sora.

So, it isn't two backup plans really. Just thought I should put in my two cents ^^

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Sora showing up was part of Marluxia's plan, and led to his downfall. Axel killed both Vexen and Zexion, who seemed to be higher in Xemnas' favor so that Saix could be there instead. Riku slew Lexeaus and Sora got rid of Marluxia and Larxene, opening Xemnas up to a new opportunity once he fell asleep. He restarted the Replica program, not knowing about Repliku's developed sense of self. Roxas was already in the Organization before they all went to Castle Oblivion after all. Meaning Sora wasn't Xemnas' plan at all. He was a minor obstacle that turned into an opportunity, while Roxas and Xion were the plan and backup plan respectively.

You are absolutely right. I completely forgot that Marluxia was the one who led Sora and co. to Castle Oblivion, and then wanted to use him to overthrow Xemnas. Of course. Well, I guess that makes Days a little bit cooler, then, given that Xion's use by the Organization isn't just a rehash of another idea.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
And a dire lack of Sakaguchi slapping him back to his senses.
Firstly, Nomura isn't the one who wrote the story for Days. That was Tomoco Kanemaki.
Secondly, as I recall, it was Sakaguchi who had told Nomura after KH1 that he needed to make the story more complicated, so that it would compete with Final Fantasy​.
Now I'll be the first to admit that I have a bit of a bias for [Re:]coded, but come on, worse than Days? They're like night and day in terms of gameplay/fun. But even if you focus on the story, it's still a better entry. Better dialogue, characterization and pacing, for one.

In the context of the larger series it contributes more. The information Data-Naminé gives them (regardless of delivery) is the exact reason why DDD takes place in the Sleeping Worlds (to get a power to awaken sleeping hearts), and subsequently why KHIII will in part be about saving the people who are hurting.
And then there's the whole "Maleficent wants the Datascape" thing which came back up in DDD along with her namedropping Xehanort, and the journal having been paralleled with the Book of Prophecies. So clearly something's happening there.

I think people really underestimate what [Re:]coded's contribution was

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Firstly, Nomura isn't the one who wrote the story for Days. That was Tomoco Kanemaki.
Kanemaki came up with a lot of the ideas, but to say that Nomura wasn't involved is a little ehhhh. He still had final say, he still had to agree with her ideas, and he was the one who wrote the actual scenario this time, too.

Secondly, as I recall, it was Sakaguchi who had told Nomura after KH1 that he needed to make the story more complicated, so that it would compete with Final Fantasy​.
He told him that before KH1. Originally KH1 had a lot simpler of a story and he told Nomura that if he didn't aim for a FF-like story in terms of depth then the game (and the potential series) would fail.

Now I'll be the first to admit that I have a bit of a bias for [Re:]coded, but come on, worse than Days? They're like night and day in terms of gameplay/fun. But even if you focus on the story, it's still a better entry. Better dialogue, characterization and pacing, for one.

In the context of the larger series it contributes more. The information Data-Naminé gives them (regardless of delivery) is the exact reason why DDD takes place in the Sleeping Worlds (to get a power to awaken sleeping hearts), and subsequently why KHIII will in part be about saving the people who are hurting.
And then there's the whole "Maleficent wants the Datascape" thing which came back up in DDD along with her namedropping Xehanort, and the journal having been paralleled with the Book of Prophecies. So clearly something's happening there.

cosigned.

It's depressing that the game is so integral to the overall mythology... But, why wouldn't it be? Nomura himself wrote it! And no one is in love with their own writing more than him.... When you read his interviews, he actually thinks he's a storytelling genius. He takes it so seriously, like there's a Pulitzer on the line.
lol what
Nomura doesn't come across like that at all in interviews. I mean obviously he likes the series and what he does with it, but nowhere does he talk like he thinks he is a writing genius with awards on the line, lmao. He has always been very upfront and rather humble about his position as the creator of the series. He is always quick to say that he can come up with ideas but that he needs the staff to flesh them out to make them worthwhile and whole, that they are writing the plot as they go (someone who thinks of themselves as a writing genius would never admit that lol) etc. He is far from a "self-proclaimed genius" like a lot of developers.

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Can't say I'm surprised. Re:Coded didn't really contribute much to the main story until the very end of the game. And while that part was excellent (what happens between Data Sora and Data Roxas, which foreshadowed DDD, as well as opening up many possibilities with the Datascape, most notably with data forming its own heart), most of the game is kinda insignificant as far as the plot goes. Most of the data worlds' significance could be summed up as "We fixed the data worlds. Shit happened when they got fixed."

However, as inconsequential as those worlds were, they were still enjoyable because Data Sora had some great interactions with all those disney characters. It was pretty fun to watch.

Last edited:

Antar

Awards
I liked Days. I passed it two times 100% completion. I felt that the story was very weak and the organization members were underused, though.

What I liked about the game was the gameplay and panel system. Most people hate it, but I enjoyed the mission structure and the return of the command menu. All of the magic spells had different functions, instead of being upgrades of each other, and items were useful. Level panels weren't annoying at all unless you don't understand the concept of strategy in gearing up. You are not supposed to bring everything you have with you (even then, you can manage to bring most things if you are clever with your layout). The gameplay was similar to the Monster Hunter series in a way, though very simplified.

I keep hearing people say that Days is loved by most, but I feel it's the opposite. Everywhere I go, barely any people like the game but they keep repeating that claim. Weird.

Last edited:

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I keep hearing people say that Days is loved by most, but I feel it's the opposite. Everywhere I go, barely any people like the game but they keep repeating that claim. Weird.
I think that's a recent change in the community, like within the past couple years or so.

But I still see that opinion with some frequency where the "casual" fans are, like Facebook or YouTube comments.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Its a simple matter of hate, dislike or criticism(be it constructive or not) being more visible and loud than the praises. It happens in every community.

Anagram

Banned
I agree with Echo and Osprey and others on Recoded. It truly is under appreciated solely because it's not "heavy" when the handheld titles being heavy has been one of the huge problems storyline wise so far.

It was fun in gameplay, the characters were given fun dialogue, not tied down by repetition like in areas of which it's always wasted in a horrible way (trios), length itself was short but extra stuff could easily go into 50hrs, etc.
Coded most importantly had things that contributed to the story which was brought up again and bluntly stated in DDD. Aka Coded was a game you could choose to indulge in but didnt need too in order to understand this series. How a "side game" should be.

Imo Recoded was what the other "side games" should've been. If it's decided your main line of story is on a certain format then it's damaging to make every single freakin game not in that main line relevant. Something I remember Sephiroth0812 calling out ages ago as the "console spread" first started.
Not only did the console spread make it difficult for people to follow the series (and no the remixes dont fix shit, not everyone jumped on the PS3 wagon either) but between those that couldn't follow outside forums or youtube and those that ignored them out of their own stubbornness they will be really REALLY lost trying to play a later title or KH3.

Coded was the best example of what a "side story" KH should've been. A light story that adds more and was fun but not necessary either.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards

I agree that it seems like Re:coded's importance is going to become more apparent during the coming events, and it foreshadowed and led up into DDD. But, since the majority of what was discussed in Coded has yet to unfold, or even be entirely revealed (like Ansem's data inside Sora) Coded's true importance and relevance has yet to shine, unfortunately. DDD definitely made Coded look retrospectively important, so here's to hoping that when KH3 drops, when we go back and look at the events of Coded we will see exactl how it all ties together and Coded will be looked at with higher regard.

I do also agree that the gameplay of Coded is waaaaaay better than Days. But, it's always story>gameplay for me with videogames, and I personally got more out of the story from Days, therefore I enjoyed it more than Coded.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
The only thing I have to point out is the part where you pointed out the Sora-Roxas-Xion backup plans thing. One thing you have to keep in mind is that Xemnas sent Marluxia and Co. to Castle Oblivion to find the Chamber where Ventus was. Not to get Sora. In fact, earlier on Xemnas had fought Sora simply to get data from him in KH1, which I guess is the data used to make Xion in the first place.

Xemnas didn't order the Sora memory wipe to happen. That was all Marluxia's plan to topple Xemnas. Rose-hair came up with that one.

It seems that, Xemnas knew about Sora"s Keyblade abilities and fought him, gathering data to use for the Replica Program. Meanwhile, he had Vexen work on said Replicas (Riku replica and Xion) at Castle Oblivion. While there, he also had Zexion look for the Chamber. He also sent Lexeaus as backup for Zexy, because he knew Marluxia and Larxene were planning something.

Even in DDD, Xehanort's master plan tackled Riku as the XIIIth Vessel first, then Roxas, apparently Xion (she wasn't listed because forgotten), and then Sora. Roxas was the plan in both cases before Sora.

So, it isn't two backup plans really. Just thought I should put in my two cents ^^

Uhm no, to use Sora as a pawn and mess up his memories WAS planned by Xemnas and the Organisation's upper echelons because they originally really wanted to use both Roxas and Sora for Heart collection. Not to mention that without Naminé messing up Sora's memories (and thus untangling them) Xion absorbing the loose memories and copying the power of the Keyblade would not have even been possible to begin with.
Zexion does imply that luring Sora to the Castle was intended as well.
Xemnas did NOT sent Marluxia and co. to the Castle in order to find the chamber of waking, he sent them there because he suspected them being traitors and wanted them eliminated. It was Axel who was tasked with finding the chamber and no one else.
Vexen was sent to the Castle in order to do further work on the Replica program with Lexaeus being there to assist him. Zexion on the other hand was actually reassigned to the Castle by Saix, officially to oversee Vexen's and Lexaeus' work but in reality because Saix wanted him eliminated as well, which Axel eventually did towards the end of CoM.
Marluxia just hijacked Xemnas' original plan and tried to turn Sora into his own puppet rather than one of the Organisation by controlling Naminé.
This is made clear within Days' dialogue and the secret reports:

Secret Report said:
They pushed up the Castle Oblivion plan. Our little hero with the key must've made a move.
Days 23 said:
Axel. I have a message from Lord Xemnas. We have reason to believe that
one or more of the members assigned to Castle Oblivion intend to betray us.
Find them, and dispose of them.
Secret Report said:
Marluxia has succeeded in leading the Keyblade master to the castle. I sense
multiple threads at work, but details on each of the projects are scarce.
I suspect some alleged Organization projects are secretly private
machinations. Marluxia seems especially suspect.
Day 27 said:
(Roxas lay on his bed, watched over by Xemnas and Saïx)

Saïx: Naminé must have begun her work...

Xemnas: Will he wake from this?

Saïx: I am told he will--provided she strips the hero of all his memories.

Xemnas: Then much hinges on Castle Oblivion.

Saïx: We needn't stop collecting hearts. Number XIV has gained power over
the Keyblade, just as we intended. Xion can fill Roxas's shoes for the
time being.

Xemnas: And the chamber? Have you found it?

Saïx: No, sir. I would say progress is slow...if we had actually made any.
Note how Xemnas and Saix speak about "Naminé's work" and treat the chamber only as a secondary matter, the plan of luring Sora to the Castle and mess up his memories originates with them, not Marluxia.
Marly is only using the plan to follow his own goals.
Day 72 said:
Saïx: Why didn't you report in?

Axel: Oh, good to see you, too. You're welcome, thanks for the kind words.

Saïx: I'm told Naminé has gone missing.

Axel: There one minute, gone the next. I don't know how she got out.

Saïx: You searched every room, I expect?

Axel: You're kidding, right? That's like counting grains of dust in a building
full of sneezing people.

Saïx: What about the chamber? Did you find it?

Axel: Come on, I would have told you that much. I gotta hand it to you... You
were right. About Marluxia, the traitors... You knew exactly what was up.

Saïx: All I did was find a place to send everyone who was getting in the way.

Axel: Well, it's nice to know where I stand! Sheesh...

Saïx: Did you come back in one piece or didn't you?

(Saïx starts to leave)

Axel: I disposed of Zexion.

(Saïx stops)

Axel: That's how you wanted it, right? I'll play it your way...for now.
Xemnas said:
The goal was to duplicate the Keyblade wielder's memories, and
through them, his powers--thus making them our own. Vexen oversaw the project
at Castle Oblivion.

Thus, the untangling of Sora's memories was in one way always also Xemnas' goal, hence why if you want to be really specific, the reason (and guilt) for as to why both Xion and Roxas had to eventually disappear to "fix" Sora lies ultimatively with Xemnas and thus Xehanort as well despite Naminé having been the one to actually do the deed.

You are absolutely right. I completely forgot that Marluxia was the one who led Sora and co. to Castle Oblivion, and then wanted to use him to overthrow Xemnas. Of course. Well, I guess that makes Days a little bit cooler, then, given that Xion's use by the Organization isn't just a rehash of another idea.
Except that luring Sora to the castle was part of Xemnas' agenda which Marluxia ultimatively hijacked.
If Xemnas' plans had worked out 100% like he wanted, he would have had three "puppets" (vessels?) to use and collect hearts: Roxas, Xion with the copied powers and memoryless Sora.

I agree that it seems like Re:coded's importance is going to become more apparent during the coming events, and it foreshadowed and led up into DDD. But, since the majority of what was discussed in Coded has yet to unfold, or even be entirely revealed (like Ansem's data inside Sora) Coded's true importance and relevance has yet to shine, unfortunately. DDD definitely made Coded look retrospectively important, so here's to hoping that when KH3 drops, when we go back and look at the events of Coded we will see exactl how it all ties together and Coded will be looked at with higher regard.

I do also agree that the gameplay of Coded is waaaaaay better than Days. But, it's always story>gameplay for me with videogames, and I personally got more out of the story from Days, therefore I enjoyed it more than Coded.

That's the main thing of Coded though, it doesn't add unneccessary baggage and huge twists to the story but instead expands on existing concepts and deepens the already established things while still throwing in some light foreshadowing.
It's ironic that people complain about this when that is actually how a true "side game" should work.
Your experience with the already established whole story and mythos gets enriched when you play it, but it strictly isn't needed to understand the core story because later titles (in this case DDD) expand on what Coded hinted about.
In terms of writing quality, Re: Coded beats almost all side games except CoM by a wide margin and characters like Data-Riku, Data-Sora and their interactions with Mickey, Donald and Goofy get fleshed out much better than both the overdone mega-drama Xion show and the "supposed" RAX trio in Days and the great-potential-remaining unaddressed mess that are TAV in BBS.
It makes me sad to say it, especially as someone who likes TAV very much for what they could be, but Sora's and Riku's Data-"clones" are much better fleshed out actual characters that can be distinguished from the other Sora and Riku than both TAV and RAX have to them up to now, showing that a single game can be enough to shape interesting characters if you just handle them right.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
- Trash story
- Trash graphics
- Trash gameplay mechanics
- Trash missions
- Like two new songs

+ Panel system
+ Co-Op
+ Friendly Fire in co-op makes for fun VS mode
+ Somewhat decent dialogue

it's pretty bad, guys. still not without some good stuff, though.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Kingdom Hearts: the series where the characters that are literal clones (Repliku, the Data boys) have more individuality and humanity than supposed non-clones.

I dunno if I should laugh or cry over the irony.

Precursor Mar

Coded being under appreciated is its own fault. By presenting itself as yet ANOTHER retelling of KH1 it completely killed any interest any casual fan may have had in it.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Well, this got off-topic.
- Trash story
- Trash graphics
- Trash gameplay mechanics
- Trash missions
- Like two new songs

+ Panel system
+ Co-Op
+ Friendly Fire in co-op makes for fun VS mode
+ Somewhat decent dialogue

it's pretty bad, guys. still not without some good stuff, though.
I guess the main reason I wanted Days was for Co-Op, I guess it wasn't even worth that.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Coded being under appreciated is its own fault. By presenting itself as yet ANOTHER retelling of KH1 it completely killed any interest any casual fan may have had in it.
But it doesn't really present itself that way.
I mean, check this TV spot
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Doesn't really look like KH1 or its story.
Or the back of the box
Spoiler Spoiler Show
It even says "a brand-new adventure."
Though I do take issue with the tagline being "It's a play-full world!" That's pretty dumb, has nothing to do with the game, and doesn't look so great next to Days', "What mattered the most was remember the least." which was ridiculously melodramatic and important-sounding.

Sure, you can see some old worlds but 1) that's part of the premise and 2) it's not like that hasn't happened before.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Though I do take issue with the tagline being "It's a play-full world!" That's pretty dumb, has nothing to do with the game
I think it's meant to be a reference to all the different gameplay styles in the game (like how there's the traditional KH style, a on rails shooter, a turn-based RPG, a platformer, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back