• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Oscars/Awards Season 2016, and the issue of diversity

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
oscar-nomination-best_actor-composite-today-160114-tease_bdcada127a4d59ed57d9695776579cd9.today-inline-large.jpg

-----
As both an American minority and an aspiring filmmaker, I find this to be a very fascinating controversy, although a tab bit heartbreaking.

Unless you've been living under a rock, you've all clearly been aware of the Oscars backlash these past couple of weeks. For the second year in a row, all 20 nominees this year have been white; noticeable actors that have been discussed as "snubbed" include Idris Elba (Beasts of No Nation), Michael B. Jordan (Creed), Jason Mitchell (Straight Outta Compton), and Will Smith (Concussion). There's also Benecio Del Toro (Sicario), whose performance I honestly consider to be the biggest snub, but it saddens me to find him so far under the radar.

A lot of the backlash comes from the fact that minorities do tend to get typecasted into stereotypical roles, where they either win awards for them (and therefore reinforce said stereotypes) or simply not get chosen for roles outside of stereotypes (therefore indirectly reinforcing stereotypes). Also to keep into consideration is that the acting industry is largely made up of caucasians, so obviously it's much easier to find a talented white actor than a talented minority actor.

Now, the current issue that's happening right now is about what happens when talented minority actors give powerful performances that go unrecognized in an industry where white actors give powerful performances all the time. Someone's bound to take it personally. In the end, you have a severely complicated reflection of an industry that both recognizes talent where it is due, but at the expense of indirectly contributing to racial issues outside of the industry.

Anagram

Banned
*lives under a rock* For two years in a row? Really? Come on Hollywood. =/

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
i just find it extremely fascinating Sylvester Stallone was nominated for best supporting actor and Michael B. Jordan wasn't in his own goddamn movie.

personally i haven't seen any of the nominated films so i can't comment on their quality one way or the other.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
The way how I see it. I believe the envelope is being pulled way beyond its point. I could also say some movies could make their case; Beast of Nation and maybe Concussion. And surprisingly this has only been mention now...while you have had Oscars nominations given to Meryl Streep and she has only won two for Best Actress. And most of the award winners are usually Euros and there has been movies diversed from your typical bio-pic that has won awards; Slumdog Millionaire, The Artist, 12 years of slave, The Kings Throne etc.

i just find it extremely fascinating Sylvester Stallone was nominated for best supporting actor and Michael B. Jordan wasn't in his own goddamn movie.

personally i haven't seen any of the nominated films so i can't comment on their quality one way or the other.

Will Smith has a better chance being nominated against Michael B Jordan for Best Actor. I haven't seen Creed but I love the Rocky franchise. And Rocky Balboa is one of those characters that grows with you or has been growing with the audience since the first movie.

D

Deleted member 36435

Del Toro's performance in Sicario wasn't impressive at all. Having to show no emotion and deliver dialogue as a generic dead eyed Mexican isn't particularly hard. That film had some better performances for sure.

redcrown

Awards
It is getting better but racism in Hollywood has been a issue since its' birth, along with Hollywood not wanting to change with the times/their ways for fear of losing money/audience, so it will be an uphill battle to be more inclusive for a long while I'm sure.

Last edited:

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Nayru's Love said:
Now, the current issue that's happening right now is about what happens when talented minority actors give powerful performances that go unrecognized in an industry where white actors give powerful performances all the time.

Just because they don't win an award doesn't necessarily mean they go unrecognized. They are ideally recognized in terms of talent if they got the role to participate in a movie.

Someone's bound to take it personally. In the end, you have a severely complicated reflection of an industry that both recognizes talent where it is due, but at the expense of indirectly contributing to racial issues outside of the industry.

Like you stated, this situation indirectly affects the industry because people make it "a big deal" really more than what it's supposed to be. Humans are always good at playing the victim role. Maybe we should have an Oscars for that?

redcrown

Awards
[video=youtube;XebG4TO_xss]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XebG4TO_xss[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back