• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Was Riku willingly possessed?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

redcrown

Awards
A while ago I browsed through some old threads, and one mentioned the idea that Riku was okay with Ansem possessing him if it meant defeating Sora. (can't link the thread because of shitty computer)

I personally think Riku let the darkness in, but definitely not Ansem. Ansem was able to posses him because he was right next to him when he accepted the darkness, allowing him to immediately go in Riku's heart and take hold of him. It would be really out of character for Riku to let anyone take over his being, even at that point in the game. Only someone who is completely insane like Xehanort would be okay with that kind of subservience to another being for power.

I always figured Riku after that point was completely out of the picture, mind and heart-wise. Ansem had full control, making Riku's body fight Sora the second time. He was only able to break free feebly and protect Kairi afterwards because Sora had worn Ansem/Riku's body down, making Ansem put Riku aside, allowing him to regain a bit of control.

I made this thread to see what the rest of you guys think. Do you think Riku was at all willing for Ansem to use him and fight Sora the second time? I thought it was common knowledge that he wasn't.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
not one bit. riku wanted the darkness because he wanted to be better than sora on his own; he wouldn't have wanted anyone to take control and do it especially at the potential cost of his friends (which became his primary goal).

as soon as he recovered his body, he sacrificed himself to lock away the darkness which speaks bounds about his angsty batman personality.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I'm betting that Riku didn't think that "becoming darkness itself" entailed getting hijacked by an axe-crazy sentient Heartless. I also kinda doubt that he really wanted to gut Sora like a fish.

Last edited:

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I'm betting that Riku didn't think that "becoming darkness itself" entailed getting hijacked by an axe-crazy sentient Heartless. I also kinda doubt that he really wanted to gut Sora like a fish.

I doubt that as well.
He wanted to surpass him, yes even defeat and mostly emotionally hurt him to make himself superior, but actually hurt or even kill him? Sounds a little too much to me. Especially after running away from the first big fight against him.

Anagram

Banned
Riku sorta was. He willingly opened to darkness as Ansem told him buuuuuuttttt got more than expected. As for Riku wanting to gut Sora well he was all but willing to throw a deadly fall of dark fire at him when Sora took the kingdom key back, WHICH was before he was even possessed. So yeah I wouldn't say he was exactly above doing potentially fatal harm.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Riku sorta was. He willingly opened to darkness as Ansem told him buuuuuuttttt got more than expected. As for Riku wanting to gut Sora well he was all but willing to throw a deadly fall of dark fire at him when Sora took the kingdom key back, WHICH was before he was even possessed. So yeah I wouldn't say he was exactly above doing potentially fatal harm.

Now we'd be on discussion on how dangerous that dark fire hitting would've been.
Not saying he was beyond causing damage, but...

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards

You know how people can do stupid, impulsive, violent things to others, particularly when they're jealous/irrationally angry at someone? I think that's what was going on before Riku got hijacked. I just can't imagine someone would still be in that state after getting stunned straight like he was. After he lost the Keyblade, it was plain to see how panicked Riku was. I don't think he necessarily wanted the power to kill Sora. He was just acting on wounded pride and general fear.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Well he wanted power to try and take back the keyblade and assure his superiority over Sora so, yeah I`d say it was willingly

Now we'd be on discussion on how dangerous that dark fire hitting would've been.

I don`t see how a human being could possibly survive a blast of fire. Dark fire at that

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Well he wanted power to try and take back the keyblade and assure his superiority over Sora so, yeah I`d say it was willingly

I don`t see how a human being could possibly survive a blast of fire. Dark fire at that

Would you kindly tell that to Sephiroth please?
No, seriously though. Usually I'd agree, but Xehanort even froze Ventus' whole body and he survived it, so...I can see it happening to survive fire as well.

redcrown

Awards
Whether Riku wanted to kill Sora during the first fight at the entrance of Hollow Bastion or not is another topic.

My question is whether he was aware/in control of himself after Ansem possessed him, therefore willing to kill Sora to free Kairi's heart at that point in the second battle. I thought it was obvious he was out of the picture after the scene of him opening his heart to darkness; having a double voice, stabbing Maleficent, speaking like Ansem. Implying Ansem hijacked his being through and through, body and heart.

You could argue he was because he only appeared to stop Ansem only when Kairi was in danger. But I would argue he couldn't before because Ansem had full control of his heart/body, and didn't have the strength to give any kind of resistance until Sora wore him down, and Ansem returned as his true physical self.

The main question of my post is, did Riku willingly accept the darkness, or did he willingly accept Ansem along with it?

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards

I dunno. In KH1 alone, I've seen people get hit by all kinds of magic, chewed out by a giant three-headed dog, blasted by a shotgun, fall through treehouses at terminal velocity, and get hacked up by a huge variety of weaponry without dying.

That's not to say that getting a full blast of dark firaga wouldn't have severely injured Sora, though I think the more important thing about that scene was that Riku was perfectly ok with attacking his defenseless ex-best friend.

Anagram

Banned

You know how people can do stupid, impulsive, violent things to others, particularly when they're jealous/irrationally angry at someone? I think that's what was going on before Riku got hijacked. I just can't imagine someone would still be in that state after getting stunned straight like he was. After he lost the Keyblade, it was plain to see how panicked Riku was. I don't think he necessarily wanted the power to kill Sora. He was just acting on wounded pride and general fear.

Motivations or the like dont matter here imo. The fact is Sora made a speech about how even if his body was destroyed his heart would live on and being a bit sarcastic Riku basically says let's test that and throws a huge ball of magical dark fire.
Was Riku's emotions high? Probably but that fire ball was far from nonlethal. He was in a dark place and being brainwashed by Maleficent, Ansem and his spiraling fall into darkness which corrodes and warps a heart.

Riku didn't realize he made mistakes until his body wasn't his anymore. Up till then he willingly opened up which let Ansem in and he willingly threw that attack at Sora who had no means to defend himself.

redcrown

Awards
I feel like my question was a bit missed. I'm asking if he was willing during the second battle, not the first one at the lower level of HB when Sora got his keyblade back. Did he actually allow Ansem to posses him, or he was just taken advantage of when he opened his heart to darkness that time?

How much control did he have when possessed? Totally out of his control or partially willing to let Ansem run around with his body and battle Sora?

Last edited:

Anagram

Banned
I feel like my question was a bit missed. I'm asking if he was willing during the second battle, no the first one at the lower level of HB when Sora got his keyblade back. If he actually allowed Ansem to posses him, or he was just taken advantage of when he opened his heart to darkness the final time.

How much control did he have when possessed? Totally out of his control or partially willing to let Ansem run around with his body and battle Sora?
We answered that. His loss to Sora lets Ansem convince him to open up to darkness entirely. Once done Ansem jumped in. Xehanorts reoccurring theme is he has to get his host to openly accept darkness. For Terra he angered him and jumped in but Terra resisted. For Riku he was more cunning and had Riku accept darkness willingly. For Sora he tried to render him as silent as possible by putting his heart to sleep.

Basically Riku was willing until he found himself possessed. Since he only resisted once and was then kicked out of the body it's safe to assume he wasn't in control at any point nor willing once he realized he was tricked. Hell you could probably consider any resistance concerns moot since Ansrm kicked him out.

redcrown

Awards
We answered that. His loss to Sora lets Ansem convince him to open up to darkness entirely. Once done Ansem jumped in. Xehanorts reoccurring theme is he has to get his host to openly accept darkness. For Terra he angered him and jumped in but Terra resisted. For Riku he was more cunning and had Riku accept darkness willingly. For Sora he tried to render him as silent as possible by putting his heart to sleep.

Basically Riku was willing until he found himself possessed. Since he only resisted once and was then kicked out of the body it's safe to assume he wasn't in control at any point nor willing once he realized he was tricked. Hell you could probably consider any resistance concerns moot since Ansem kicked him out.

I know he willingly opened his heart to darkness, Ansem goading him to do so after Sora beat him. I meant if he opened his heart to Ansem. The thread I saw mentioned the idea that he did, which sounded ridiculous to me but I thought I would ask what you guys thought. Glad to see I didn't miss anything and that that idea is ridiculous.

So his heart was asleep during his possession? It makes sense. They never really clarified that in-game.
This makes me wish a little for a flashback of his POV after Ansem hijacked him. Him regretting everything he did after that.

Anagram

Banned
Hmm well Rikus heart wasn't asleep I think. Ansem just learned enough from Xehanorts possession of Terra to kick Riku out before he got to big an issue. Riku may have been out of it up till Andem tried to harm Kairi though.
Riku expressed so much regret already I'm not sure they will. It'd be neat as one of those I lockable snip it's like Coded had though.

Sora though was put to sleep however in DDD. If Ansem kicking Riku out of the body is him learning from Terra's possession then old Nort putting Sora to sleep may have been him learning from Rikus possession. That's all just my guess though. It just gives the feel that each time Xehanort possesses someone he's refined the method to make the host as little a hindrance as possible.

But the root of your question; no one is really willing that we know of except Braig. Everyone else is usually tricked or goaded into opening too darkness. From there Xehanort can control them regardless of the hosts will. Xehanort is a puppeteer and darkness his strings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back