• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why is Final Fantasy XV an Action RPG?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
I know it's a main series title, but why did they decide to make it a ARPG instead of the more traditional RPG trend the other titles in the series were known for( except XI, XIV and Lighting Returns )?

Muke

whatever
Awards
I don't know, but I love it more this way. Honestly, if it would've been turning-based, I wouldn't play it. I hate turning-based games, because I am bad at them. :I

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
The developers have said comments about how it'd feel unrealistic and it's time to move on ("move on" was not the words they choosed to use but you get my point).
Personally I just find turned based games extremely tedious and boring, I like Persona 3 & 4 (didn't finish 4 because I had to farm, probably would have done it if there wasn't a really good anime already), especially on handhelds and gonna buy and play P5 on launch as well but mainly because story and the mix with Social Links etc but I might take some breaks from that game as well.
Persona games take me forever to finish, FF took a few months as well if I remember correctly, I gave up on FF VIII, I gonna try to pick up FF VI and IX sometime but even VI which have an amazing story so far with really likable characters I have a really hard time picking up, I also think I got Persona Q last christmas and I'm currently still on the first floor of the fourth labyrinth and as much as I love the game I really have to be in the mode to play it and then I really enjoy it but still...

This is also the KH team making the game so they probably feel more comfortable this way and I'm honestly not sure if I'd play the game otherwise, at least I'd wait till the price dropped or get a used copy, did one of those with FF XIII and I rather enjoyed that game with it's fresh take on the Turned Based Combat but when I tried XIII-2 I dropped it almost instantly (5 hours maybe?) because I felt like it was just the same shit again albeit slightly changed but I was already tired of it.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Hack-and-slash is faster-paced and more flashy. It also doesn't strain your suspension of disbelief; SE's going for a realistic look and feel for everything, from the people to the boulders in a field, and something like a turn-based battle system would really stand out against all of that.

I'm kinda glad that this is the way they decided to do things. One of the most common complaints about XIII was how slow and tedious the combat could be.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Personally I just find turned based games extremely tedious and boring, I like Persona 3 & 4 (didn't finish 4 because I had to farm, probably would have done it if there wasn't a really good anime already), especially on handhelds and gonna buy and play P5 on launch as well but mainly because story and the mix with Social Links etc but I might take some breaks from that game as well.

Yay! I am not the only one who takes breaks from the older turn based games. It has usually taken me months to complete the older FF titles. Also between 2014 - 2015 I played almost nothing else than JRPG`s and that was a bit too much. I think I took and 4 month break from VIII before completing it. But dam it felt good when I beat the game.

I looked trough some interviews and did not find anything (there probably is but I was not able to find one) from the Nomura era that gives an official reason why it`s action not turn based, but I found a comment after Tabata took charge:

Why action and not turn-based? The team wants to reiterate the “fantasy based on reality” theme and wants you to feel the world through the characters, which they think is better expressed through an action combat system instead of menus.

So yup, along the lines what Vanitas666 and BlackOsprey said.

Awards
Yay! I am not the only one who takes breaks from the older turn based games. It has usually taken me months to complete the older FF titles. Also between 2014 - 2015 I played almost nothing else than JRPG`s and that was a bit too much. I think I took and 4 month break from VIII before completing it. But dam it felt good when I beat the game.

I looked trough some interviews and did not find anything (there probably is but I was not able to find one) from the Nomura era that gives an official reason why it`s action not turn based, but I found a comment after Tabata took charge:

So yup, along the lines what Vanitas666 and BlackOsprey said.

I should have taken note of that.....

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Because originally it wasn't a main numbered game and so it had the freedom to be an ARPG. When it was bumped to main number status, it would have been ridiculous to change the gameplay to traditional turn-based combat when the game had always been envisioned to be an ARPG.

Also Final Fantasy has always been about redefining gameplay. No two games have the same combat system, and Final Fantasy has been moving away from traditional turn-based combat for years.

This is also the KH team making the game so they probably feel more comfortable this way

The "KH team" is not making this game. There are some staff left from that original team, but it is mostly being developed by Type-0's staff and a bunch of new guys.

Awards
Because originally it wasn't a main numbered game and so it had the freedom to be an ARPG. When it was bumped to main number status, it would have been ridiculous to change the gameplay to traditional turn-based combat when the game had always been envisioned to be an ARPG.

Also Final Fantasy has always been about redefining gameplay. No two games have the same combat system, and Final Fantasy has been moving away from traditional turn-based combat for years.

The "KH team" is not making this game. There are some staff left from that original team, but it is mostly being developed by Type-0's staff and a bunch of new guys.

What about XIII and XIII-2?
Those games have share the same combat system.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I started playing VII but took a break from it.

Its been five years.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
As someone who grew up with turn-based JRPG's, I will gladly admit that I prefer action-based combat for new games. Nomura is most definitely right in saying that it would look absolutely ridiculous to have your party perfectly lined up waiting for their turn to attack in a modern game. Only a few modern games have found a good solution to this problem, like Valkyria Chronicles and Resonance of Fate. I always found it funny when people say they feel like they've got more control over the characters by being able to tell all of them what to do by browsing menues. I would argue that being able to actually move around, dodge attacks and attack whenever you want to gives you far more control. Ideally, you would also be able to swap characters at will but sometimes sacrifices have to be made.

That being said, I love turn-based combat. But that's what the SRPG genre is for. That's turn-based combat at its finest, usually with some depth too (which the ATB system never really had).

Ulicies

As Spockanort said, FF15 was originally conceived by Nomura as FFVersus 13, and back then, he was quoted saying he intentionally wanted to make the combat like Kingdom Hearts as a prototype for KH3. Since it was a spinoff, the ActionRPG aspect wasn't seen as a negative to FF fans. At first, members of the team responsible for Kingdom Hearts were working on the basic mechanics, but through the years FF13 and its sequels took precedent, diverting the team's resources to those games instead.

Finally, FF Verus 13 was renamed into FF15 as a main numbered title. Some of the game was changed, but it kept most of FFVersus13's core, most notably the action combat.

This is actually quite ironic, since Nomura was quoted as saying:

With Versus, we are trying out a type of adventure that we couldn't do in the numbered series.

Nomura named a few different reasons for the change. I personally believe another reason for the change was to help compensate for the large investment Squenix was sinking into production. By making it a main numbered title, it will naturally garner a larger audience as opposed to a spinoff.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I didn't know people exist who prefer action over turn-based. lol
I think the FF fanbase has been screaming about their "anti-anything past VI" sentiments a little too much. There are actually quite a lot of people who prefer fast-paced action over classic turn-based, as you can see. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back